fb

Help! My characters sound the same!

Forums Fiction Characters Help! My characters sound the same!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

Question of the week from Sandi. 😉

I have to characters, one main and one side, they are brothers and both very similar. The MC is very developed and recently as I’ve been developing the other, I’ve been struggling to make them different yet similar. Fears, reactions, etc… Any suggestions! Thanks!

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

My answer:

I’ve struggled with this myself. I had two MCs in different books. Both were nice, kind people who just wanted to help and save everyone. And they started feeling way too similar. There were a few things I did to figure out differences.

One was to put them in the same situation and then watch them carefully to see where they acted differently. What did one character notice that the other didn’t? Did one character pace while the other was content to sit still? Even if they’re brothers, they’ll have different backstories–or rather, different ways they view their backstories. How do they view each other? Do they fear different things? Want different things? Do others treat them differently and what is their reaction to that? It takes work, but dig down deep and you’ll find differences.

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest