fb

Help I'm sinking

Forums Fiction Themes Help I'm sinking

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

Hello everyone.

Some of you know me already, and some of you don’t. For those of you that don’t me, I am a 14 year old novice writer who loves words with a passion.

But, to get to the point of this discussion. I have only been on SE for a few months, but I’ve already learned so much. And, as I learn more I can see more and more problems with my current work in progress. It is actually to the point that I can’t tell what the theme of my story is (and yes, I now know the difference between theme and message). I don’t want to scrap this work and start a different story, I would really like to fix it. I could work really hard by myself and in a year have something different, but I don’t think I’d be able to tell how bad it is.

So here is what I’m asking:

1. If there is anyone here willing to take the time to help me fix my story would you help me? I have never had my stories read by someone other than my Mom, and she told me herself that she can only comment on grammar faults and doesn’t know how to give constructive criticism. So I would be very appreciative of you working with me. Also I am willing to scrap large sections and rewrite others if it is necessary.
    2. If someone will help me how do I share my story? It is currently a open office file.
    3. Do I need to be in a guild to ask for this?

That’s all

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

I’d love to do that! I’m busy today so I’ll disappear, but I can help later. If you have Google docs you can share the link with me?

I need to go now, but I’d love to help you!!

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

A few quick questions:

Have you finished writing it all out?

How long is it?

And what’s it about?

I hope I can help you!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Alabama Rose.

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@bama-rose

Thank you so much.

To answer your questions:

No, I have not finished it, I think I need to make some changes now that would affect the ending.

It is 18709 words long and split into 11 chapters.

It is about a thirteen year old girl called Jane Doe Foster. She doesn’t have any other name because she is an abortion survivor and slipped through the cracks of the foster care system. The book follows her story through her 41 foster home.

I hope this answers your questions.

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

You’ve peaked my interest already. My family and I foster a lot, so I can easily see myself getting into this.

(I didnt know you are fourteen! I’m fifteen 😁 that’s cool!)

Anyway, I’m excited to get started!

Do you know what Google docs is?

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@bama-rose

Yes, I know what Google Docs is. This is my first time using it. So here is goes

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HE6d7_3APXGHC-5a_RAjYizfAPWK1qWs9hSqddKqhTM/edit?usp=sharing

I hope this link works.

Thought I maybe should do warnings, even though my book isn’t super dark. There is no sexual content, the worst word is Shucks. There are some memories of abuse that get dark, but I’m not even sure if I’m going to keep those. Other than that I don’t think there is much to worry about.

I’m excited to start too.

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

I read the first couple paragraphs and it looks interesting! I’ll get to it as soon as I can.

Do you want me to make suggestions if I see anything to fix? Or just let you know on here?

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@bama-rose

You can make suggestions on there, but let me know here too. I don’t know how everything works on Google Docs.

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

Will do.

It should email you every time I comment or suggest something. And then you can see what I’m doing and all that. Also, if you see a circle with someone’s name at the top right, that means somebody is currently viewing your document. (I love google docs—it’s so handy once you get the hang of it!)

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

So, the settings are on so that I cannot suggest or comment at all. It’s fine if you want me to just tell you everything on here, but it might be simpler if you changed it to “suggesting”.

But it’s totally up to you. 🙂

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@bama-rose

Sorry, that was the original setting and I didn’t realize it. I think I fixed it.

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@kayla-skywriter If honest help is what you are after, Id LOVE to try!   the plot sounds really cool, too.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@ashira Yes, I want honest help. I’m going to give another link to you in case something went wrong with the one I gave to Bama.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HE6d7_3APXGHC-5a_RAjYizfAPWK1qWs9hSqddKqhTM/edit?usp=sharing

There you go.

One more thing, when you get there could you turn it from editing to suggesting. It is in the top right corner.

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
    @myclipboardismyviolin

Mind if I offer some “honest help”? To be honest I barged in and snuck a peek, and I dig the opener.

Definitely a strong character voice, and definitely “salvageable”.

Sarah, Miss S, Sierepica_Fuzzywalker

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@kayla-skywriter Okay!

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • The forum ‘Themes’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest