Help from Worldbuilders and Artists ! (Please)

Forums Art Art Discussions Help from Worldbuilders and Artists ! (Please)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Hey, So I’ve been brainstorming for a comic and thought I would share some of what I’ve come up with so far + get some advice!

The only things I’m ready to share with you so far are the map for the world (It’s a fantasy) And a creature design I came up with.

Here’s the creature design. Any tips for how to improve it are welcome! Mostly I would LOVE if you guys could help me come up with a name for them. 🙂 Something cutesy, but elegant?

And here’s the map. (I have a feeling it will change a bit though) Do you guys have any tips for creating interesting cultures? And more urgently I could really use a clue on how to come up with names for made up places. Seriously- that has always stumped me.

@Dekreel
    @Christieaton @mariposa @Thetessinator @andrew @Whoever-is-roaming-the-thread

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Catwing
    @catwing

@the-fledgling-artist First off… That thing is adorable! Awwwwwwwwwwww… *heart eyes* Can I get your comic when it comes out? That is sooooo adorable!
    *okay serious critique* *serious face* Well, it looks like it probably lives in a snow/cold area or is domesticated. Because white fur blends best in snow, so survival. But there are exceptions, white tigers, white peacocks, and others that I can’t think of right now. So not a hard fast rule just general observation that animals tend to blend in. But could you tell me its habitat? What sound does it make? What does it eat?

Places tend to be named after the people who discover them or landmarks. I don’t have any ideas right now though.

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

The Inkspiller
    @the-inkspiller

@the-fledgling-artist
    First – beautiful creature! The use of watercolors was an excellent choice for creating a whimsical, cutesy creature. Hooray for choice of media! Like @catwing, I’m not sure how much we can help with creature design since we don’t know its habitat or purpose in the world, aside from possibly being a household pet.
    (Name Suggestion: Pindalu.)

As for culture and naming; I often cheat and borrow inspiration from human languages to create my cultures and names.

Example: I created a setting, Keramidian, which is a desert kingdom fighting for survival as cataclysmic lightning storms encroach from the east, turning the already barren sand into even more lifeless glass. Being that glass, sand, dust and clay play such a large thematic role in the setting, I took the name Keramidian from the Greek keramidia, which means ceramic (and also happens to be a small village).

Most of your readers would never know if the name you use came from another language, and if that name happens to  be thematically relevant or becomes a reference to the culture on which you are basing that fictional whatever-it-is, bonus points for those who get the reference!

Coming up with Cultures:

As before, I often borrow from human cultures as well as from the Bible. Coming up with purely original cultures is a struggle and often a futile one, but cultures which bear real-life inspiration can be just as unique and exotic.

For my sci-fi setting, the Children of Adam, there are two main races – us dirty little humans of Earth, who basically nuked Earth into an uninhabitable wasteland in a five way world war, then decided that extinction wasn’t so dope, signed an uneasy ceasefire, and raced for the stars to get their first to make sure the next guy didn’t get such a nice planet. Their cultures are based heavily in 1930s-style political idealism – the SUPER DEMOCRACY of the American Combine contrasts very strongly against the “Brave New World meets The Clone Wars” Comintern, and again with the “Russian Wild West but ruled by the Orthodox Church for the Holy Crusade against COMMUNISM” of the United States of Christian Europe.

Oh yeah, and the second race are the Tesveshi – the descendants of a quartet of (almost) Old-as-Creation cyborg demigods named Tubal-Cain, Naamah, Julal, and Yahal. The four children of Lamech (and he’s their mythical super patriarch as well. Who knows where he got off to.) Culturally – they’re a combination of the barbaric traits of the antediluvian civilization from Genesis, mixed with a very strong Viking / Norse aesthetic (curling horns, all over six feet tall, covered in metallic scales, runic language, and a preference for pillaging the resources of others rather than making their own.) Having just barely survived an apocalyptic civil war against their own gods (who they didn’t manage to kill, but merely disappeared off to their own corner of the universe to plot revenge), they also have many traits of Weimar / Hitlerian Germany: economic despondency as the mainstream group is forced to rely on Terran humans for the most primitve and basic equipment (bulldozers and helicopters), even as most of the population remembers the days when they sent robots the size of moons to terraform worlds for the empire. Knowing that they’ll never be able to economically compete with humanity’s nearly hundred combined worlds, having only three to their name, they look to their military for the promise of a better tomorrow, knowing that they still hold the edge in military technology… for now.

TL;DR: use the situations of human history as basic archetypes, then inform those situations with the lore of your own universe.

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@the-fledgling-artist, oh, that creature does look adorable. You could name the creature a Whapendro, Snowraker, or Moonskipper. And if you wanted, you could have the creature go searching for diamonds, making little dances and mimicking human voices, stare into the moon at night, roll in snow, or any or other interesting fact about the creature.

I’m about to write this story where I’m going to have a lot of made-up animals.

As for the  culture, I might have to think about that a little bit myself before I can give you any suggestions.

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Mariposa Aristeo
      @mariposa

@the-fledgling-artist That creature is adorable!!! 😍 Here are a few names that popped into my head: mufflin, icesqueaker, a purple pishma, floffy, and that’s all I can think of for now. 😊 What are the creature’s tendencies?

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

The Fledgling Artist
      @the-fledgling-artist

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE for all the world building tips! World building is really hard for me esp coming up with names so this gives me some stuff to chew on. 😀

@Catwing
      @the_inkspiller
      Ah you guys are right I should have given more information! Here is what I know. They live in the mountains and make little snow burrows. Families stick together so if you find one, there is sure to be a couple more nearby. They make chirping sounds that are close to a bird’s but more rodent sounding. (If that makes sense??) They are omnivores, and will eat almost anything but their favorite thing to eat is smaller critters. The females are a much lighter purple then the males. People in suitable locations (can’t be too hot) probably domesticate them. Umm, what else.. Oh yeah they are a little bigger then the average cat but smaller then your average dog (If there is such a thing)

BTW Keramidian sounds really cool @inkspiller!

Thanks @andrew ! Those are cute names and I shall add them to my list! It would be adorable if they liked to dance, and they absolutely love to roll in the snow! 🙂

@mariposa
      Thanks! They are really fun to draw. I love the names icesqueaker and purple pishma! Wowie I hadn’t really thought much about their tendencies. I assume you’re talking about their behavior.
      I don’t think that they would sleep very much and when they do, during the day. Are quite playful (though not hyper) and they probably love to cuddle with each other. That’s all I got. Do you have any ideas?

Andrew Schmidt
      @andrew

@the-fledgling-artist,  okay. 🙂

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Catwing
        @catwing

@the-fledgling-artist You’re welcome.
        Frost feet? (It’s kinda funny, but probably not what you’re looking for.)
        Azureflake/Azure Flake or Azulflake/Azul Flake or Azu Chirp or Azu Sqee.
        Any of those?

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

@catwing Haha they do look like their feet are frost bitten. 😀 I like the idea of putting Azu in front of another word.. Azure means blue right? Wow there are so many good suggestions from everyone I’ll have to really think about this.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by The Fledgling Artist. Reason: " I'll have to really think this" *facepalm*

Chalice
        @chalice

@the-fledgling-artist, Aww, it’s so cute! The only thing that I noticed was the tail is very thin. Maybe you could add a second line to show how thick it is? Unless that’s what you were going for. I love the coloring too!

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
        “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Mariposa Aristeo
        @mariposa

@the-fledgling-artist Aw, it sounds as adorable as it looks! ❤️ Here are a few other names I came up with: Amethysties, winter womcats (instead of wombats 😜), cappies, snow chirpchillas, and periwinkle poppums. If I think of any more, I’ll let you know. 😊

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

@chalice That’s good advice! Thanks. Now that you say that I can see what you mean. Do you think I should shorten it too?

@mariposa
        Has anyone ever told you that you’re really good at naming things that don’t exist?

Noah Litle
        @noahlitle

@the-fledgling-artist, I think the length is fine. Whatever you think is best.

p.s. I only know a little.

Catwing
        @catwing

@the-fledgling-artist I like the thin long tail. I think it looks nice and very elegant. (So I would lile you to keep it. ^.^ )

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

@catwing Hmm alright I’ll consider this. *Stares off into distance thoughtfully as dramatic music begins*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest