…Help?? *flails helplessly*

Forums Art Art Discussions …Help?? *flails helplessly*

• This topic has 30 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Grace.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones I’m afraid I can’t help you when it comes to oil paints.. I’ve never tried them. I just know that they scare me. xD Sorry!

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Lin
    @lin

@h-jones I painted in oils every now and then and I was being super nervous about them as well. Mainly because of the paint thinner haha. However I use watermixable oils now. They’re the best and I really recommend them!

It works just the same as regular oil paint (and they are the same, oils mixed with pigments), the only difference being that you can thin them down with water. No more unhealthy mediums needed!

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@h-jones

Glad I could help! I see lots of potential in you! From what I have seen of your work, you have a good foundation…so just keep at it and if you do, you’ll get to amazing places!! 👍🎉🎉

Sorry, I have no experience with oil paints…🙁

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@h-Jones I’m a little late to this discussion, but I thought I’d jump in (sorry if any of this is repeated advice). But first I’d like to applaud @the-fledgling-artist for absolutely fantastic advice. 👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻

As for art videos or art books, they can be very beneficial, though I don’t believe they’re 100% necessary. I’ve actually never taken a single art lesson or watched an art video. 😅 I thought my lack of training in the field would hinder my calling. Some of my friends attended art lessons regularly and won art contests. I wondered, Could I ever be as talented as them? How would I learn certain techniques? What if my artwork never improved?

Looking back on that now, I’m glad I never enrolled in art lessons. I didn’t realize all the benefits of self-teaching until the last few years. Self-teaching infused my art with originality, enabling me to develop a style that’s distinctly my own. Here are the main things that have helped me:

1. Observing

The best way to learn art is by studying the great Artist Himself. Each day He paints a new picture in the skies; some days it’s a brilliant blue, other days it’s a dreary gray, and sometimes it’s a threatening black. Do you see a breathtaking landscape? Let that scene burst forth from your heart onto a canvas so the moment can be treasured for years to come.

Making note of every detail will help you with texture. Isn’t the world made up of tiny atoms? Likewise, art is comprised of minute details and adding simple things like the grains in wood, the threads in a sweater, or the wrinkles on a face can enhance a drawing.

And I reiterate the part about using references—I used to always need a reference for everything. After a while, those objects became ingrained in my mind, and I was able to draw without a photo. Once you’re comfortable drawing something, try veering a little off your reference. Maybe you could change the color, give the person a different expression, or place the object in front of a different background.

2. Experimenting

Try sketching something you’ve never drawn before, try different methods of coloring, draw something from scratch—the possibilities are endless.

Pencils were always natural to me, but paint was foreign. The blobs I painted were so awful that I sentenced my paintbrushes to banishment in a dark drawer for many years. But one day my fingers itched to feel their bristles again. A waterfall flowed onto my page, brimming with color. Soon after, my mom challenged me to tackle a canvas. The painting was an improvement on what I had previously been doing. Now painting is as natural to me as pencil drawing.

3. Persisting

Some people say you don’t need talent. I personally disagree with that philosophy, but I do believe practice outweighs talent a hundred to one. Talent is important, but a hundred pounds of talent is useless if you only put an ounce of effort into a project.

Here I am reiterating again. 🙈😅 Drawing incessantly is the best habit any aspiring artist can develop. Every new drawing I’ve sketched has been a step toward success. Apply persistence to your practice and you’ll end up with a masterpiece. Some days your art will be rotten, and that’s okay. Even Monet had his bad days. Instead of gazing at other people’s art and moaning because you don’t measure up, look back at your old artwork to see how far you’ve come. I would have given up a long time ago if I’d always compared myself to others, and then I wouldn’t be where I am now.

4. Listening

Although some of our mistakes are obvious, we’re often blind to most of them, and that’s why a critique partner is crucial. Listen to what your parents, friends, and colleagues have to say. What do you struggle with most? Hair? Proportion? Depth? Focusing on your flaws will help you improve. And don’t destroy every flawed piece. Turn your infuriation at your mistakes today into determination for tomorrow.

6. The Best Lesson

Trial and error has taught me as many techniques as an art class, except at a fraction of the cost and a multiplication of the fun. Art lessons are appealing, and I wouldn’t discourage you from taking them—just remember that it’s not the only road. You can teach yourself almost anything—writing, dancing, singing, or baking—if you put your mind to it. 😃🙂

Grace
    @h-jones

@mariposa Thank you so much!! This is incredible advice and I appreciate every word. (: I’ll keep it in mind as I continue on my art journey. 😀

@eden-Anderson And I see the same in you. ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you!

@lin :OOOOO ARE YOU SERIOUSNDBDS That is so cool!!!! I’ll definitely have to look into that, thanks!

@the-fledgling-artist Oh pffff, you’ve already helped me so much <33 No big deal!! I appreciate you so much for all the tips you’ve already offered. 😀

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Grace.

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

Mariposa Aristeo
      @mariposa

@h-jones You’re welcome! 😊 I’m glad to be of help to a fellow artist.

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@h-jones

Aw, thanks!❤️

And love your new profile pic!! So, cute!

Grace
      @h-jones

@eden-anderson I know rigHT asjdahsjkfhajksdhakjsgfkasd @the-fledgling-artist did it for me as a commission!!! <3

Eden Anderson
        @eden-anderson

@h-jones

Ooh! That’s really cool!

@the-fledgling-artist Awesome job!

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson Thanks!

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones Hey girl. 😀 I’m just curious how you’ve been doing.

Grace
        @h-jones

@the-fledgling-artist Hey hey!! I’m actually doing… well, okay I guess? I got pretty de-motivated for a little bit there. Sigh. It’s so easy for me to backslide after committing to something big. Thankfully though, about a couple weeks or so ago I got back into the swing of things. I feel like I’ve been doing pretty good! I’m getting a lot better at digital because I recently purchased a 3rd gen iPad Pro + Apple Pencil, which I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND NKJHIRHDKFHGJDKF

Here are two pictures I did with it!! I’m just so excited! (they’re kinda big x’D)

The Fledgling Artist
          @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones Ooh! Those are great!! I’m glad you found your motivation again. Being an artist can be a constant struggle against demotivation and discouragement. (That’s why having art friends is great, ’cause it’s just a circle of inspiration and encouragement).

These both strike me as having some sort of story behind them. Are they your characters?

Grace
          @h-jones

@the-fledgling-artist fhskfndkwksod thank you! 😊 Yeah, me too. Woof. I think actually a big demotivation for me was actually you leaving SE for that little bit, because like you said, having friends is a big boost 😂 Oh, well… as much as my lack of discipline frustrates me, I do not claim it as my own and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! *intense pep-talk*

Idk. 😂😂

But ah, yes! Very perceptive if you 😂 The first is a character from a superhero universe created by my brothers and I. He’s actually their character fun I’m being honest… his name is Infinity and they actually created him as a joke after watching a video about overpowered superheroes, haha 😂 They actually started liking him eventually though so now he’s part of the canon Black Flag universe! (That’s our “company” name lol) He got his powers by absorbing stars pffff idk 😂😂😂

The second, though, is me just messing around with fantasy concepts after taking a trip to the mountains XD He doesn’t really have a story. But maybe one day. I might go for a sort of Narnia vibe.

The Fledgling Artist
            @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones Aww. Absolutely. Something I think God has been teaching me lately is if He calls us to do something he will absolutely give us the grace to do the things. Even if it looks impossible and stuff. 😀 😀

Haha, that’s so funny. Making up characters with friends or family can be a blast. 😀

Does the Narina dude have a name? (I like his cape)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest