…Help?? *flails helplessly*

Forums Art Art Discussions …Help?? *flails helplessly*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Grace
    @h-jones

Okay guys. So. I’m really kind of wanting to get more serious about art… like, going from the I-only-draw-with-number-two-pencils-of-the-occasional-character-or-oc-i-like to I-actually-kind-of-want-to-really-pursue-and-get-good-at-this-thing-and-use-it-to-do-something-worthwhile-in-life

If that makes sense. (: Like, really pursue it for an ultimate good and use the talents God has given me and turn them into something that could make an impact, no matter how small or insignificant, you know. 😂😂 No more of this pathless meandering I’ve been doing to gratify only myself! Art is to beautiful a thing to be wasted only on just me, yk?? I mean, I ain’t got anything against me of course, but I do have something against it being only for me. Which is what I’ve been doing. And it feels yuck.

buT ANYWAY THAT ASIDE

The point is, I have no idea what I’m doing. *flops*

So… from any of you more experienced artists, where in the world do you start? I could technically take an art class I guess, but the only affordable and close-by options I have conflicts with my work schedule. And of course I can always YouTube, but I’m really not even sure where to begin, or where I even need to begin (since I already have a little art experience), plus with the art world being not necessarily the best place, I’m a little concerned about where I go and what I watch. So.

If any of you guys have tips, help would be so. much. appreciated.

Tagging @the-fledgling-artist @eden-anderson and @lin because y’all are fab artistas (and if you know of any people who may know something valuable, feel free to tag them!).

Thanks haha 😂😂

• This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Grace.

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

The Fledgling Artist
      @the-fledgling-artist

Hey, Heather! I think it’s amazing that you feel this way. 😀 I hope we can help you out a little. Someone else actually recently asked about getting started with art, and so since I think a lot of what I would say to you, is what I told him, I’m just going to copy paste what I said there. 🙂 (The thread is called “just a question” and rn it’s on the 2nd page, if you wanna see what everyone else told him too.) If you have any questions or want me to expand on anything just ask! 🙂

Hey! This is kind of a hard question to answer, but the best thing to do is just start. Learning how to draw is a skill that takes time to develop. To learn to draw well, you’ll have to be okay with making some less then excellent artwork. Practicing means making a lot of artwork that wont look good. But if you can make a habit of practicing, you will improve. Now say someone started drawing everyday. That’s great! That’s all they need to improve. However, there are some things they could do to make their practice more efficient, and therefore, improve faster. The biggest thing is to use references. Real life references are better, but referencing from photos works well too. There is also value in doing something called ‘gesture drawing’. Which is, in the most basic terms, drawing really fast. The idea is to capture the gesture, or flow of an object in as few lines as possible. It’s also important that you don’t get caught in a loop of drawing the same(ish) things over and over. This is super easy for most artists (myself included.) and it hinders artistic growth A LOT. Try to keep drawing things you’re not comfortable with yet. And to close this ramble off, I would suggest getting either A. A sketch book, or B. A folder of some sort to store your papers in that you’ve drawn on. Many people are tempted to throw away their “bad art” but with hindsight that’s a terrible idea. Training yourself to throw away the ‘bad art’ will cause even more frustration, and nurture negative feelings. And then keeping it is an amazing way to track your progress. And those old pieces may even inspire future creations! The things I’ve said may not be true of everyone, but are definitely the case for me! Lemme try to sum everything up, since I’ve probably confused you. 1. Draw a lot! 2. Accept that getting good will take time, and a lot of ‘failures’. 3. Keep pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, as comfort will hinder growth. 4. Your bad art is precious! Don’t throw it away, and try to be patient with yourself as you’re learning. (If you wish I could tag some of the other lovely artists on the forums? There are actually quite a few!)

Tagging some other artists..

@ori-art
      @lin @sageinthemeadow

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Grace
      @h-jones

@the-fledgling-artist Ah! Thank you so much!! I’m reading through the responses on that thread now. (:

EDIT: Use references, practice, just keep drawing. Yay! I’m feeling more motivated now, haha. ❤️

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Grace.

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones Yay! If you keep drawing, I promise you’ll improve. 😉 Though if I may, I think the art you make now is super adorable already! ^-^

Grace
        @h-jones

@the-fledgling-artist gosh thanks dfjhdjffhdkndajksn

That is a pretty awesome compliment coming from you!! I really appreciate that. 😀

Also, if you don’t mind my asking, could you give me any tips on watercolor? I’m trying to get into coloring more but it is certainly not my strongsuit. 😂😂

The Fledgling Artist
          @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones In all honesty, up until the last couple years I barely touched colors myself, so I’m still trying to figure them out myself. The short answer is practice. I guess I can try to be more specific though. xD Is there anything in particular that you struggle with? If coloring in general is hard for you then I would suggest looking up some youtube videos on color theory. 🙂 -bonus if you can find one that uses watercolor as their example. Learning how to mix colors sounds pretty basic, but once you get into the complexities of color theory, it’s not as simply as it looks. Example, everyone knows that red mixed with blue makes purple. But how do you control whether you get a warm purple or a cool purple is lesser understood. Also something about color theory that blew my MIND is that if you have cool highlights you’re gonna want warm shadows, and vise versa.
          If your not so much talking about color theory, but more how to control the way the paint interacts with your paper and water.. That’s where I’m a little clueless myself. If you don’t know the difference between “wet on wet” and “wet on dry” or you’ve just never heard those terms before, I think a tutorial on watercolor techniques would be really helpful for you too! If you don’t already know this, it’s kind of important that you use actual watercolor paper. If you use printer paper, or even sketchbook paper meant for dry media the watercolors wont react well.

.. Um Any questions? I feel like i’m loading you with a lot of poorly explained ideas. xD

Eden Anderson
          @eden-anderson

@h-jones

I am extremely flattered to be called a “fab” artist. 😀 *whispers* Because in all honestly, I am really not that good. But I’ll see if I can be of any help. 😉

I think this is an awesome question …the desire to be better will get you miles ahead! You are starting at the right place!!

Oh, and by the way, I love your style! It’s so cute and precious! And I really like the attention you pay to clothing details.👍

Alright, now for my expert advice.

*clears throat*

Becoming An Amazing Artist In 5 Simple Steps! 

*cue trumpet*

Step 1. Listen to the @the-fledgling-artist…she’s legit.

Step 2. Draw.

Step 3. Draw

Step 4. Draw.

Step 5. Draw.

Pretty simple, really…

Oh! And one more thing…don’t compare yout art with others…it’ll take you dark places fast. Trust me…I know.

There you have it…all you need to know to become a professional artist!

*crowd clapping*

*bows*

Sorry if that wasn’t helpful…it was more for your comic relief than anything else…which, is in fact important when drawing. But seeing as I probably failed at being helpful or funny…well, sorry.

But in all seriousness, keep up the good work! You’ll get there! 😀

Tagging @chalice because she’s an amazing artist!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Fledgling Artist
          @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson You’re so right about comparing! It’s so destructive! And no one can be better then everyone.. I have to constantly remind myself that If I keep comparing myself now I’ll never stop.
          You’re pretty legit yourself, yaknow? 😀

Eden Anderson
          @eden-anderson

@h-jones

Check out art books by Chris Hart….he’s really good and although most of his books are geared towards manga and cartoons, there might be something there for you…

Here’s an extremely long link to an Amazon page of his books…😛

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Books-Christopher-Hart/s%3Fie%3DUTF8%26page%3D1%26rh%3Dn%253A283155%252Cp_27%253AChristopher%2520Hart&ved=2ahUKEwjVmfL4xt_fAhWQ11kKHR54D2QQFjABegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3tz_XqlsNurXTfOvRm9qdF

Eden Anderson
          @eden-anderson

@the-fledgling-artist

Yeah, comparison was always a killer in my drawing…it’s a really bad thing.

Aw, shucks, girl! Thanks. 😉❤❤

ori-art
          @ori-art

@h-jones

A little advice on delving into the overwhelming YouTube world…(because I’ve spent WAY to much time watching videos and not practicing😒😞😣).

1. Search specifically.

I didn’t, and was therefore easily distracted. If you want to draw cartoon noses search for how to draw cartoon noses vs. how to draw cartoon faces (though, logically, if your doing the nose you’ll most likely want the rest 😊). If you want to draw roses don’t just search for flowers.

2. Don’t listen to everyone.

Seriously, I understand not knowing where to start. #overwhelming

So for watercolor I found some people’s art that I really liked and tried to stick with it rather than roaming the internet…because even though there are some rules to art, people can also be contradictory and can state opinions as facts. So yeah.

And as the others said. Practice. Definitely not my strong point. 😖😖😖😫😫

Hoped this helped. If not, well, good luck and happy practicing.

"Who knows what the next month will bring? I say let us eat cake now!"
          -Mr. Benedict

Sageinthemeadow
          @sageinthemeadow

@h-jones I think it’s really great that you want to take the next step with your art! Being an artist is truly a gift.

As for advice, I’m not sure how much I can offer, since I tend to draw only as a hobby right now, but I’ll give it a shot.

If you wanted to work toward illustration, or anything in that realm, I would practice on any areas you may feel weak in, (for me, hands/body positioning,), and really hone in and strengthen your weak points. Secondly, I would work toward developing your own style. A lot of artists become known, or are recognized, for what makes them unique.

Also, joining a platform where you can share your work, and connect with the art world, can be fun and helpful! (Something like Instagram, or Deviantart… etc. I don’t really know of any others.)

That’s my two cents, hope it helps! 🙂

https://sageinthemeadow.wordpress.com

Lin
          @lin

@h-jones Wow that’s great Heather! A lot has been said already so I hope I can still add something.

It helps to keep in mind that every artist you admire probably started in the same place you are right now. So try not to compare yourself to artist thinking that they’re much better than you, because they also have tons of work they don’t feel happy about and don’t show. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to compare yourself to other artists, but when doing so try to think about what inspires you about their work and what’s the difference between theirs and yours. You might find something that you could improve on. Let’s say you like the color of a certain art piece. You could try using that palette for your next drawing or painting! But like others said, don’t look at their art thinking you’ll never reach whatever level they’re on. Because you might get even better!

However, like @the-fledgling-artist said, reference is key! My art improved tons when I started using reference. Meaning photos of real people. After all, even great painters like Rembrandt had models in their studio, so why wouldn’t you? After a while you’ll see you wont even need reference photos that much anymore. Because you practiced using them so much you’ve got it all memorized.

Try to learn some realism before you dive into cartoony things. This is also something that helped me a lot. I’m not the greatest realist painter and you don’t have to be either. But knowing why certain things are the way they are will help you improve your cartoony drawings. When you know what something looks like in real life you know what you can exaggerate when drawing in a cartoony way.

Tutorials are great too! A youtube account I recommend is The Mind of Watercolor. He has tons of watercolor tutorials and you can follow his entire process, I learned a lot from him! Sycra also has some great videos if your starting out. If you’re into Disney, Aaron Blaise (who animated for Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and directed Brother bear) also has a youtube channel with lots of videos that might help you!

Also don’t worry about finding a style. I still struggle with this. The more you draw the more your style will come through naturally. Most of the time people already see you have a style even when you don’t notice it yourself.

Well this was long haha. These are all things that helped me, so I hope it helps you too. Ofcourse drawing a lot will always make you improve. Most of all just have fun! And if this really is something you desire for His glory, you could pray about it. (:

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

Evelyn
          @evelyn

(Wow… advice is just showering down over here. I’m going to follow this thread. XD)

Grace
          @h-jones

@the-fledgling-artist Ahh, all that you said is great!!! See, ’cause I didn’t even know that I needed to know these things, so you’ve given me some things to think about and research! It’s given me a good starting place. (: I may have some questions once I start really researching it (already found a tutorial on Wet on Wet watercolor… muahaAHAA), but for now that is more than enough to get me started. 😀 Eeekk!! I’m so excited!

@eden-anderson
            Oh my word that’s just the best xDDD No no, what you said extremely helpful and motivating!!! Hahaha plus it managed to put a smile on my face, so that’s wonderful. (:

More than that, yes – I NEED TO WORK ON NOT COMPARING. I am… so bad at that. xDD I see all you guys’ lovely pieces of artwork and I’m just like, that is astounding how are they so good asjdajskdakjsdh

So no more of that. I feel like that’s an extremely important thing to touch on, so thank you! 😀

Ahhh yes!! Chris Hart! He does some good stuff. I should get more stuff by him.

@ori-art
            Ahh, no, that is perfect! Thank you for listing practical steps on how to navigate YouTube, because that’s pretty important for me seeing as how I don’t have the resources to actually take art classes. Thank you so much!!!

@lin
            That is extremely motivational! Thank you. (: Yeah, it’s hard for me to remember that every artist had to start somewhere, haha. xD <3 So that is comforting. I am very much encouraged by that reminder. (:

AHHH REFERENCES! Yes! Okay, so, photos of real people, draw realistically before you get into more cartoon stuff… I had my suspicions on that, because most of the amazing cartoon artists I know are also really great at drawing things that are more true-to-life. And, true-to-life things are definitely something I need to work on… cartoon style has always appealed to me more so than real life stuff for some reason. So, I’m really go to step outside my comfort zone and try to get good at more realistic stuff (I already have some DVDs by Bob Ross so that’ll definitely help my landscapes!!!).

And, those YouTube channels sound amazing!!

@evelyn
            ikr xDDD It is way more than I expected!! I’m so happy!!

Thank you all SO MUCH for your advice!!!! I genuinely appreciate it and it means a lot to me. <3 I know you must have all done and learned so much to have the information you have now, so I seriously appreciate your generosity in sharing it. It is extremely motivating and you’re all just like the best role models EVER. <3

Also, do any of y’all have experience with oil paints??? What about like, paint thinner and safety tips, because I’ve heard paint thinner is dangerous to breathe and is explosive and haha now I’m kind of nervous. xDDD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest