fb

Help! All my boys sound like girls!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Help! All my boys sound like girls!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Erynne
    @erynne

The title says it all.

I’ve found that in my writing my boys tend to sound very feminine, and talking with a guy friend of mine I found that he has the exact opposite problem; his girls sound like boys. It makes total sense, but what can we do to avoid this?

I’m going to kinda answer my own question here… When I noticed that my boys sounded like girls, I decided to sorta study the boys I’m around. Pay attention to how they word things, make a mental note of things they do and don’t say, etc. (and being the only girl in my huge family this was quite easy XD) This helped a bit, but I’m still not there yet. What’s your advice?

@rose-colored-fancy
    @elisha-starquill @winter_rose

• This topic was modified 5 months ago by Erynne.

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@erynne  Hope you don’t mind me popping in.😂

I’ve had this problem too with some of my writing. I think maybe too other things that might help is to pay attention to books written by men authors (like Andrew Peterson) and try to see how they do boy characters. One of the biggest differences my Dad always reminds me is that boys don’t (often) overdo emotions. They also tend to lean stronger toward certain emotions…for example, it seems like girls are more likely to have their feelings “hurt” whereas the boys will either brush it off or be actually angry. Of course, there’s personality differences, but girls just tend to be more emotional overall (which is not a bad thing).

The only other thing I can think of is to ask your brothers to read your writing. I know it can be intimidating, but specifically questioning whether they could relate to the feelings of guy characters can help a lot.

Watching to see how your brothers act in different situations is great idea. Actually, one of the funniest things that happened lately is my brother (who has always scorned romance in books) got a girlfriend, and he acts just like guys in books.😂  He went from being like, “A real guy would never be that smitten,” to being that guy.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Erynne
    @erynne

@arindown

Hey Gracie! Thank you for giving me your thoughts!

I think maybe too other things that might help is to pay attention to books written by men authors (like Andrew Peterson) and try to see how they do boy characters.

I never really thought to do that before. That’s definitely a great idea.

One of the biggest differences my Dad always reminds me is that boys don’t (often) overdo emotions. They also tend to lean stronger toward certain emotions…for example, it seems like girls are more likely to have their feelings “hurt” whereas the boys will either brush it off or be actually angry.

Very true. Boys are definitely not like girls when it comes to emotions. I’m sure I have multiple parts in my story where I have not put this into mind though. A while back I needed one of those dialogues that are sorta boring but then lead into important info, and one of the boys interrupted another then he was all like “I’m so sorry!” (of course I’m being a little dramatic) After I reread that section I burst into laughter because they sounded like a bunch of preschool girls 😂

girls just tend to be more emotional overall (which is not a bad thing)

Oh yes, for sure XD

The only other thing I can think of is to ask your brothers to read your writing. I know it can be intimidating, but specifically questioning whether they could relate to the feelings of guy characters can help a lot

I have used my brothers and cousins a lot with writing. To basically avoid help out with character development, I based most of my characters off of my close family and friends. I guess having the boys read the part that is their character and see if they relate would be a good way to go. Thanks for that idea! I’ve thought about describing a scene to my cousin and have him play his character and just see how the conversation would go. 😂

Watching to see how your brothers act in different situations is great idea. Actually, one of the funniest things that happened lately is my brother (who has always scorned romance in books) got a girlfriend, and he acts just like guys in books.   He went from being like, “A real guy would never be that smitten,” to being that guy.

Oh how funny!! 😂 At least most girls love how the guys in romance books act, lol.

Thanks again! That was really helpful!

@everyone

If you have any suggestions for guys that might have the exact opposite problem be sure to share!

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Elisha Starquill
    @elisha-starquill

@erynne – Gracie’s got some fantastic advice there! 😀

From my experience, girls tend to use more words and more time to say basically the same thing, whereas boys are typically more curt. They also notice different things than women, because male/female brains see things differently (I’d spend some time reading up on their differences; it’s pretty interesting.) For example, women tend to notice color while men tend to notice shape.

OH, and a big thing to consider is that typically women would notice outfit details (i.e. coffee leather jacket and ripped white jeans), while men would either ignore outfit or just notice the bare minimum (i.e. jacket and jeans).

And for more general things about writing male characters, I thought this article had some interesting tips (fingers crossed so the link works XD)

Hope this helps! 🙂

INFJ ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

Erynne
    @erynne

@elisha-starquill

Hey thanks for the great advice!! That article was very helpful!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@erynne

Hi Erynne! I’ve been meaning to reply to this conversation ever since I saw it, but I kept forgetting XD

Anyway, I found this fascinating video that discusses this topic in a really interesting way! It makes sense to me, and I haven’t heard this anywhere else yet!

Hope this helps!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest