fb

Hello. Who are you?

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello. Who are you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

Hi, I am @ScoutFinch190.

About me:

I like books that are inspiring, actually good and well-written. Especially:

• The Bible by God. It is absolutely amazing, 100% true, applicable to daily life, and is the inspired and powerful words of God guiding us toward salvation and showing us how to live once we’re saved.
    • Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson
    • Phantastes by George MacDonald (I like every book I’ve read/listened to by him)
    • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (I liked every book I’ve read/listened to by him, particularly Our Mutual Friend)
    • The Space Trilogy by Clive Staples Lewis (as well as all his other books, especially Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, and Till We Have Faces (I love these especially))
    • Lord of The Rings  series by John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
    • The Hawk and The Dove Trilogy by Penelope Wilcock. I read it at a time where it really struck a chord with me, so it’s also a memories thing (and where I learned how to write super-emotional scenes probably, which is a good/bad thing I guess?) Also, there are more books, don’t read them, it feels like beating a dead horse.
    • Whatever I’ve failed to mention. by Anonymous.

What I like to write:

• I’m most familiar with Fantasy, and have several projects in line:
      • A story following the son and daughter of a prince and a vindictive witch.
      • A story following a vampire who wants to become human again.
      • A people that lives in a huge forest (perhaps floating on a giant ocean) with a lot of different races that are reminiscent of tropical animals.
      • A cheesy one about some random redhead named Agatha Spitch and her ex, Clash Strifespirit (I got his name from a random fantasy name generator).
      • And a sketch of dialogue between a girl and her embittered sister on a holiday.
    • I have lately been dabbling in sci-fi (but I’m fairly new to the genre):
      • My main WIP:
        • About a criminal named Jade who’s burdened by his sin, his ex-girlfriend who is struggling with her feelings towards him and Jade’s younger brother Fabian, who struggles with being comfortable in his own skin and being a hero. As I’m typing this, I’m thinking about flipping clichés of The Anti-Hero, The Coward-Hero, and The-Super-Honorable-Ultra-Do-The-Right-Thing-Hero with these three who have to team up. They are up against a corrupt government and an organization that experiments on humans to try and make more powerful humans, their goal is to find a way to live forever. I’m thinking my main villain has found a way, but it’s at the cost of other people’s lives.
      • Another is about a man who is dealing with the murder of his son while having to work with a clone of his son who killed his son in the first place.
    • Poetry I dabble in as well, I find it a lot of fun, though I don’t know much about different types.

I’m also one of those people who isn’t necessarily 100% satisfied with my work when all’s said and done. I could edit endlessly.

I also am not very much of an outliner. I write enough of an outline to know where I’m going, and I have decided to give myself a general direction of where I want to end with my WIP most of the time so I know the basic route of my writing, but eventually I just get too excited and I start writing.

My completed stories I’ve written are under five in number. I have a lot more complete poetry, but that’s also because they are super quick to write for me. I have written a lot of disconnected scenes and my WIP is one of the few things I’ve written beginning to end.

I don’t know if I intend on publishing, right now I’m more of a hobbyist that’s also learning more about the craft in case I want to publish.

I like to drink tea, draw, read, needle-felt a little, watercolor paint a little, sew a little, knit/crochet a little, eat, sleep, watch movies, doodle, write, I would say I love to ride horses (which I do, but I don’t really have many opportunities to do so because I don’t have a horse, and it can tend to be pricey to ride them), and drink kombucha.

I am also on Kingdom Pen.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@scoutfinch190

Hello! Nice to meet you!

I’m Arindown, teenaged farm-girl who writes fantasy and adventure fantasy.😁 I’m a huge fan of the Wingfeather Saga, Lord of the Rings, good old classics (Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, etc.) and I just recently got into Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archives.

Looks like we have several things in common. I don’t really outline much either, and I dabble in a lot of different writing styles.😆

Not all who wander are lost.

RedWrites
    @redwrites

Hi there, I’m @CathrynV.

-I’m a homeschooled teen.
    -I’m a Christian.
    -I love the story of Peter Pan more than any person should. 😀
    -I’m a Christian speculative fiction writer.
    -I love LOTR. A lot.
    -I’m addicted to all things chocolate. (Except mint & chocolate. That’s weird.)
    -I’m a 7w8 on the Enneagram, and I think I’m an ENFP.
    -I frequently go crazy over a certain topic/interest/character and I delve into that world for days or even weeks (such as Peter Pan; I think I’ve read Dust three times in a month). Once I get tired of said world, I’ll go find something else to fangirl over.
    -But I’ll always fangirl Peter Pan. And Marvel. XD

My current WIP is a contemporary fantasy about Tinker Bell being stuck on Earth called Lost Pixie. I hope to one day publish it, along with my other short story, Combustible.

It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness.

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

@arindown

I love classics as well! How are you liking Stormlight Archives? It’s on the read-in-the-future-list for me if I can find out if it’s any good.

What other writing styles do you dabble in?

I have and do write a lot of fantasy. I love it.

@redwrites

I am just graduating from homeschool.

Does speculative fiction include sci-fi? I’m just curious because of my WIP, and being fairly new to the literary side of the genre.

I love chocolate as well.

I love Marvel too.

I am unfamiliar with Peter Pan, maybe it’ll be my next audiobook (I’ve been listening to The Ravenwood Saga by Morgan L. Busse, I definitely like it so far, and I’m almost done).

Your WIP sounds interesting!

What’s an enneagram?

RedWrites
    @redwrites

@ScoutFinch190

Hey there, great to meet you!

-I don’t read a lot of sci-fi, mostly because I’m not a terrible fan of science-related books. But I do know of an indie-published series that’s sci-fi that I do enjoy. The series is called Firnament by J. Grace Pennington.

-I finished the first Ravenwood book a few months ago, but I haven’t been able to get myself started on Book Two yet. I should, I just haven’t.

-The Enneagram is a personality types; everyone is one of nine types. I’m a Seven, or an Epicure. 🙂

It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness.

MelancholicWriter
    @melancholicwriter

@scoutfinch190

I also am not very much of an outliner.

I also am not very much of an outliner.

Thank you!

[quote quote=132975]drink kombucha.

Very yummy drink!

I’m a Christian author

I dabble in many genres

LOVE reading WAYYYYY too much…

"Courage is found in unlikely places." JRR Tolkien

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

@melancholicwriter

Yes, kombucha is delicious! We actually brew it ourselves and put peach juice in it, it’s delightful.

What genres do you dabble in?

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

@redwrites

How cool, have you enjoyed the Ravenwood saga so far?

I never heard of an Enneagram before, that’s interesting.

Why aren’t you a fan of science-related books?

RedWrites
    @redwrites

@ScoutFinch190

I’ve really enjoyed the Ravenwood saga. I accidentally borrowed part of the Raven magic in a short story, so I was kind of ticked off at myself about that. It’s an amazing series! 🙂

I hated science class when I was in fifth grade due to school issues. Plus, a lot of the books I read were packed with science-y stuff. So, I laid off the sci-fi in middle school and most of high school. But I’m going into my senior year in a month and a half (we have an odd school schedule) and I wanted to broaden my reading before I go to college and my life fills up.

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@scoutfinch190

I like the Stormlight Archives a lot. They’re definitely Young Adult books…I get a little annoyed at some of the name-calling (some swear words) and the lack of morality in the societies that Brandon Sanderson created. I don’t mind so much that things happen, I mind that he never really treats them as sin. He does have some really good lessons though and thought-provoking views on human worth, life and death, and family. His main characters are usually fairly good role models…the especially iffy stuff happens mostly on the side.

I’m only on the second book, but I could try to answer any questions if you’re wondering if you’d like them.

What’s your favorite type of fantasy? I got into fantasy with no magic somewhere along the line, and I really enjoy it, although my WIP is about wizards. I dabble in contemporary fiction, historical fiction, romance, poetry…just about anything I’ve read. XD

What’s your favorite movie?

Not all who wander are lost.

Ella
    @writergirl101

@scoutfinch190

Scouty!  (i probably shouldn’t call you that but whatever, its too late… 😆)  Yay, you’re on KP and SE!!!  Welcome welcome, bestiest friend!!! 😄

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

@arindown

Hmm… I don’t know my favorite type of fantasy. I like it as long as it’s well-written and holds to moral principles, and as far as magic’s concerned, if it’s more like Lord of the Rings or even Harry Potter, it’s not as bad because in HP’s case, it’s like electricity in cities, it keeps so much running, and in LOTR’s case, it’s actually goodness overcoming evil or evil trying to overcome goodness.

What do you mean by magicless fantasy?

My favorite movie… I could give you a list, but I can’t come up with just one, probably…

• The Secret of Roan Innish is an Irish movie based on folklore and history following the adventures of Fiona, a young girl who lives with her grandparents as she discovers more and more about Roan Innish and the legend surrounding her home as she searches for her long lost baby brother. I think this movie is a forerunner for sure.
    • Megamind a comedy about a supervillain after he manages to finally defeat his invincible superhero nemesis.
    • Kung Fu Panda which takes place in an ancient, animal-populated China following the adventures of Po, a panda who works in a restaurant and desires to be a kung-fu warrior, and in his attempts to do so, hilarity ensues. This movie also makes me crave ramen and makes me feel like I’m eight years old again, besides also being a beautifully done movie.
    • Monsters v. Aliens is a comedy about a young woman who gets turned into a giant on her wedding day by absorbing radiation from a meteor. Immediately becoming the target of a belligerent alien bent on dominating Earth.
    • I also like almost all Marvel movies that are cannon with Infinity War.
    • And how could I possibly forget the first three Star Wars movies ever made until now!?!?!? Yoda upset with me is??

@writergirl101

It’s actually kinda appropriate that you called me Scouty as that is a nickname of my dog (I got my username from her), and we sometimes call her that!😂

Thank you! I remember I met you at KP!

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

@redwrites

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed The Ravenwood Saga! I was so drawn to the series because of the book covers actually, then the synopsis. But I do really like the story.

Ah, I see. when I was younger I only wanted to learn about subjects that interested me. and i could see how you’d be burnt out. What are you going to college for?

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

In response to the movie question, @arindown, I think that The Secret of Roan Innish is my favorite movie, but there is an instance of a little boy in naught but his skin, but it’s not creepy in any way because he was basically raised by seals since he was very small. It’s more of a cherub painting caliber in the sense of appropriateness. You do see a woman’s exposed shoulders, feet, and ankles, and a man’s exposed shoulders, but neither instances are sexual, the woman is a magical creature that can change into a seal and she was changing into her woman form and the man was sick and he was being helped. (the movie is from a child’s point of view)

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

The movie is fine for a very young child to see.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest