fb

Hello! *waves shyly*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello! *waves shyly*

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

https://storyembers.org/members/gabriellepollack/

What genre do you like to write in? Do you have any genres you would want to try out?

https://storyembers.org/members/kayla-joy/

Hi! John’s wedding is my favorite episode! <3Β “High-functioning sociopath…with your number.”Β I laughed so hard πŸ™‚ The only problem with it is howΒ long it takes for a new season to come out!

The Golden Light
    @the-golden-light

Hi @joyofemberley! I have seen Merlin and a bit of Doctor Who! Who is your favorite character in Merlin (besides Merlin that is)? And also, I saw you mentioned infinity war…. Eeeeee. :p

Hope your fantasy writing goes well!!! (I think the series I started writing is not considered fantasy… Though I made the world up so I guess?)

πŸ˜€

I am not weird, I'm limited edition. ENFP

Anonymous

http://@the-golden-light

Hello! Oh, I have so many favorites: Gwen, Morgana (even after she became evil), Arthur, Gwaine…the list goes on πŸ™‚

If you made the world up then it should definitely be considered fantasy! What’s it about, if you don’t mind me asking?

The Golden Light
    @the-golden-light

@joyofemberley

Ah yes, Gwaine and Gwen (and Arthur) are some of my top favorites. Haha, I felt bad for Morgana after she became evil and didn’t exactly like her. πŸ˜€

The series or the world? πŸ™‚

The series is about a teenager named William, who, after an incident, can’t find his family and sorta was befriended by a Lord’s son. He is an introverted hero who doesn’t like to get into trouble (the opposite of his friend). The first book is so far called: Shadows on the Sunrise (it involves pirates), the second will be about the kingdoms slavery (maybe called: Freedom of the Broken) and the third will be about the kingdoms failed peace treaty (tying in with all the others), also William’s true backstory. That book will be called: Rumors of the Casquian King.
    (I could probably ramble for a while with the first and last book but I tried to sum it up. Hehe.)

Besides the fact that the world is made up and some other things about it, it doesn’t have magic. πŸ˜€

You were starting fantasy too? What is yours about? πŸ˜‰

I am not weird, I'm limited edition. ENFP

Christine Eaton
    @christieaton

@joyofemberley Glad you are here! It’s always fun to meet new people! I’m also a huge nerdy person so I think we could get along swimmingly πŸ˜€ How did you hear about Story Embers?

β€œI feel a loneliness for my Creator that pulls me like a migratory bird in the Fall.”

Anonymous

https://storyembers.org/members/the-golden-light/

That sounds really interesting πŸ™‚ Who’s your favorite character to write?

My story idea’s a little less developed than yours :/ All I know is that it’s a weird sort of World War II/fantasy fusion, with four types of peoples: two have supernatural powers, two don’t. A war happens, tearing the country apart, etc. I’m thinking about writing stories about people during and after the war from both sides and what they had to deal with, healing, forgiveness, etc. Sorry if that sounds confusing!

http://@christi-eaton

Nice to meet you too, fellow nerd πŸ˜€ I’m actually on the Kingdom Pen website and read Josiah’s farewell message where he mentioned about setting up Story Embers, so here I am! How long have you been writing?

Sarah Narnathron
    @sarah-narnathron

@joyofemberley HELLO FELLOW MERLIN FAN. My roommate and I watched the entirety of the show over the course of our freshman year of college. It was awesome. πŸ˜€

I’m Sarah, by the way, an ISTP/J fantasy writer and bookworm. And on that note . . . did I notice you asking for recommendations of Christian fantasy earlier? ‘Cause if so, I might be able to assist. πŸ˜€

Welcome to the masquerade.

Anonymous

http://@sarah-narnathron

Hello to you too! I started watching Merlin on the BBC when I was about 12 or so–stole my heart instantly and still makes me laugh when I occasionally rewatch episodes <3

If you can help me out, that would be great! Thank you!

Sarah Narnathron
    @sarah-narnathron

@joyofemberley Nice! I should rewatch some of the episodes sometime . . . if I have time, anyway.

Oh, definitely! I love recommending books to people. So, my top recommendation in Christian fantasy is always the Tales of Goldstone Wood by Anne Elisabeth Stengl. The first book, Heartless, is (in my opinion) one of the most beautiful and thrilling allegories I’ve ever read; the rest of the series isn’t as blatantly allegorical, but it’s still powerful. This series also includes the only books I’ve ever read to simultaneously feel like an epic and a fairy tale. It’s amazing.

If you think you might like some historical in your fantasy, I would recommend looking up Suzannah Rowntree’s retellings. She has a series of fairy tale retellings, all of which blend fantasy elements with some era of history. She also wrote a King Arthur retelling, Pendragon’s Heir, which is very good, though long, and which has a very timeless voiceβ€” it feels simultaneously modern and centuries old, but in a good way. I haven’t read all her books, but based on what I have read, I think anything she’s written would be good. Her books are also all standalones, so you’re not committing to a whole series by trying one.

That said, if you do want a series, another great choice is the Orphan’s Song trilogy by Gillian Bronte Adams. These are short books that you could read in an afternoon, but they’re delightful. There are some traditional fantasy elements and some less-traditional ones, and the characters are super fun, especially Amos (who’s grumpy and protective and has a History and is somehow funny and tragic and the absolute best, ok?). Book three in the trilogy is coming out this summer, so now’s the perfect time to start it!

Another series recommendation: if you’re looking for epic fantasy with low magic, I highly recommend Jaye L. Knight’s Ilyon Chronicles. Again, you’ve got great characters who you’ll fall in love withβ€” and then break your heart over, because Jaye apparently took the advice to torture your characters to heart. This series basically has everything you could want: powerful testimonies, lovable characters, dragons, solid theology, adventure, intrigue, evil emperors, a setting that mixes medieval and Roman elements, and (in book 3), one of the best epic-battle sequences I’ve read in all Christian fantasy. (There’s also another element in book 3 that shows up in a lot of Christian fantasy that I think Jaye handled unusually well, but it’s low-key a spoiler.)

Finally, if you want something that’s sometimes amazing, sometimes just ok, but all around unique, look up basically anything by Kendra E. Ardnek. I especially recommend her Rizkaland Legendsβ€” portal fantasy in the tradition of Narnia; two books out so far, and the main villain in those two has a marvelous arc, plus the world is one of the most unusual I’ve ever read, and the main characters in book two are an absolute delight. Don’t be thrown off by the cover of the first book, or by the fact that the female lead in the first book can be annoying depending on your personality. Get through until you meet Andrew and everything will be wonderful.

I could recommend more, but I think that’s enough to get you started. πŸ™‚ Have fun!

Anonymous

http://@sarah-narnathron

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I have heard of theΒ Tales of Goldstone Wood and theΒ Orphan’s Song Trilogy, but I’ve never read any of Suzannah Rowntree or Kendra E. Ardnek’s books, so that should be interesting to check out! Believe it or not, I actually read up to halfway through book 3 of theΒ Ilyon Chronicles, but then stopped because the main girl was getting on my nerves. I might try it again for Jace’s sake, though πŸ™‚

There is another series that I’ve read, actually, though I don’t know if you have:Β Blades of Acktar by Tricia Mingerink. I read them all on Kindle Unlimited a couple of months or so ago and I loved every word. Great characters you could relate to, adventure, heartbreak, sass… It was amazing. The first book of her next series,Β Beyond the Tales, is coming out this month so I’m waiting with bated breath πŸ˜€

Thank you again!

Sarah Narnathron
    @sarah-narnathron

@joyofemberley You’re welcome! Glad I could help! And yeah, I can understand how Kyrin could be frustrating . . . I think she’s better in book 4, but that might just be me.

I’ve heard of the Blades of Acktar, and I have the first book on Kindle; I just haven’t read them yet. Someday soon, hopefully.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest