fb

Hello there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Braelynn
    @braelynn

Hello everyone! As you probably already guessed, I’m new here, so please excuse my naïvety about how things work around here. I am self-described as tenacious teen who is infatuated with books, languages, and the thesaurus. Avid reader and historical fiction writer. Equestrian enthusiast and horse owner. Enthusiastic volleyball and Spikeball player. Recreational cross country runner. Lover of music and singing. Violinist and Pianist. Neophyte in composing music, but hoping to improve by practice. Follow of Jesus! I enjoy writing historical fiction, biblical fiction, and fantasy. I do think you all deserve a solemn forewarning that fantasy is a rather new venture for me as I usually write historical or biblical fiction, so please bear with me! 😛 I do enjoy reading fantasy, just never much tried my hand at it until recently. My favorite fantasy is realistic fantasy (think wizards going out for lunch).

My current novel (a fantasy) is on the topic of absolute truth and relativity (I know, big topic :D). I would love to hear any ideas on how to incorporate this into a novel without it being super obvious (for the first while or so at least). This novel is set in the Middle Ages. I’ll just give you all a super brief introduction, and if you have any questions, just holler!

Main Characters:

Glitch is the antagonist, and represents Satan who is the father of lies. (I don’t know if I’ll keep this name or not…What do you guys think?)

Afransi, the protagonist; an older man who represents a strong Christian leader (think Paul or Peter in the Bible). He has his faults, but his eyes have been opened to the truth, and now is passionately helping others find it as well.

Mathace is a strong-willed and fiery young woman who has been discipled by Afransi, and is now working closely with…

Filbrun; a middle aged knight who used to work for one of Glitch’s adjutants. He is a very loyal man, and once his mind is made up, there is no going back.

Objects:

The current objects (Subject to change. Please share any ideas that you may have about this as well!!) that represent relativity are…

An oil lamp. This represents mans wisdom (which is often flawed).

Oil for the lamp that is gained by crushing the blood red ‘Flower of Dreams’ (this name is *gulp* really bad. Any ideas?). This represents truth that is distorted, making ones life a false reality (think mirages). This flower is famed for its ability to bring peace and happiness to life (thinking down the path of drugs, alcohol etc?? Not sure yet.).

The objects that represent absolute truth are currently…

The Ember. This is an inner glow that shimmers from the irises seen only by those who also have been filled with the Glow of the Ember. Others notice a difference, but don’t know what it is (I am debating on what to have this represent. Perhaps the Holy Spirit??)

Orb of Mirrors (Agreed. Horrible name choice as well. Ideas?) These represents absolute verity, are super tiny, and put off a shimmering smoke that wake people who have been deceived to the truth.

Anyway, that’s all I’ll share for now (I did promise a ‘super brief’ intro, did I not?). I would absolutely LOVE to hear any ideas you guys have!

"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book." -J. Smiley

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@braelynn

Hi Braelynn! I’m Rose! Pleased to meet you! *Sweeps cloak in a dramatic bow*

I’m a fantasy writer, mainly! (Though I love reading historical fiction and mysteries as well!) My WIP is a fantasy trilogy, I’m over halfway with drafting the third book!

I am self-described as a tenacious teen who is infatuated with books, languages, and the thesaurus.

Aww, yess, same!! Do you speak any languages besides English? If not, which would you like to learn? What’s your favorite weird/unusual word?

Equestrian enthusiast and horse owner.

*High fives* Me too! What’s your horse’s name? What are they like?! I want to know everything! (Is this an excuse for me to rant about my horses too? Nooo…. XD) Do you ride English or Western?

My current novel (a fantasy) is on the topic of absolute truth and relativity (I know, big topic :D). I would love to hear any ideas on how to incorporate this into a novel without it being super obvious (for the first while or so at least). This novel is set in the Middle Ages. I’ll just give you all a super brief introduction, and if you have any questions, just holler!

Oh man, that’s an awesome theme! I love everything you’ve written on it so far! I bet it’ll turn out amazing! At what stage are you? What’s your favorite thing about it so far?

Some more brief fun facts about me! I adore medieval weapons in general and swords in particular! I’ve been doing HEMA for a few months now and I love it so much! I play the Celtic harp, I’m a digital artist, and I’ve been writing for just about two years. (I think next month is my writiversary actually. (I just made up that word but I love it already))

I’m fascinated by historical fashion and I sew a lot! (Also I yell at books that confuse bustles and crinolines and stays and corsets. I’m reading a book that talked about an 1810s heroine wearing “a bright red dress with crinolines as big as a sofa” and I had to take deep breaths not to scream, it’s great! XD)

Also, I know you’re going to ask about the quote thingy because everyone struggles with it XD

Select the part of the other person’s text you want to quote, then click on the top right button above the box that says “quote”. It should look like this:

Hello everyone!

Otherwise, you can copy and paste it and then click on the quote icon in the top left corner of the writing box, and that works too!

Like this

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@braelyn

Welcome Braelyn! I am Inkhorn *pauses for dramatic affect and blushes when only crickets are heard*  I just got to say I love your profile picture.

Lover of music and singing. Violinist and Pianist. Neophyte in composing music, but hoping to improve by practice.

Yay! Another violinist and pianist! And that’s cool you’re writing music! Which instrument do you like better? What kind of music do you prefer?

My current novel (a fantasy) is on the topic of absolute truth and relativity (I know, big topic :D). I would love to hear any ideas on how to incorporate this into a novel without it being super obvious (for the first while or so at least). This novel is set in the Middle Ages.

Sounds interesting and those are some deep themes. What inspired you to write about these themes?

Glitch is the antagonist, and represents Satan who is the father of lies. (I don’t know if I’ll keep this name or not…What do you guys think?)

Glitch is a solid name though if you want to change it, here are  a few suggestions:

Casimir: destroyer of peace; origin: Medieval Latin

Damian: to tame, subdue; origin: Greek

Jabez: he who brings pain, borne in pain; origin: Hebrew

I love researching names. There are some really funny/strange ones out there.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Inkhorn.

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@braelynn

Howdy Braelynn! I’m Noah, glad to have you! 🙂

I am self-described as tenacious teen who is infatuated with books, languages, and the thesaurus.

Don’t overdo the tenacity too much. 🙃

What languages have you learned? I just started learning French, but I’m what one might call a ‘learner of languages in history.’ In other words, I  learn the roots of languages and words in other languages (like Turkish, Arabic, Latin, and French) by studying medieval history. I have great respect for polygots, but wow is learning languages hard. xD

Ah, a thesaurus lover. I also have a rather voracious desire to extend my lexicon.

Avid reader and historical fiction writer.

It’s about time I meet another historical fiction writer. 🙂 My first practice novel was medieval historical fiction, and the series I’m working on is also medieval historical fiction. Are your historical fiction WIPs medieval as well?

My love for medieval historical fiction stems from my love of medieval history (of which I read a ton). Do you study that period much?

Spikeball player.

I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of that. Describe it for me. 🙂

Recreational cross country runner.

Nice. You’re obviously in great shape. How long have you been into that?

I’ve gone to track meets a couple times in my life, but the only thing I’m good for is sprints (100 meter dash especially).

Lover of music and singing. Violinist and Pianist. Neophyte in composing music, but hoping to improve by practice.

Ah, I adore both as well. I love to sing and do it both with myself and groups after Church (and during Church of course).  I play the Ocarina, and will be able to play the guitar sometime in the next 40 years. 🙃

I love listening to the violin, how long have you played it?

My brother and I are also into music theory, and hopefully someday we’ll be able to compose something–I have a ton to learn though.

Anyway, that’s all I’ll share for now (I did promise a ‘super brief’ intro, did I not?). I would absolutely LOVE to hear any ideas you guys have!

That’s an intriguing plot. How many WIPs do you have right now?

@rose-colored-fancy

a bright red dress with crinolines as big as a sofa

Wow. That is…insanity. xD

Braelynn
    @braelynn

@Rose

Hey Rose!

I’m a fantasy writer, mainly! (Though I love reading historical fiction and mysteries as well!) My WIP is a fantasy trilogy, I’m over halfway with drafting the third book!

That is so so awesome! What is your trilogy about? How long have you been working on it?

Aww, yess, same!! Do you speak any languages besides English? If not, which would you like to learn? What’s your favorite weird/unusual word?

Hmmm, good question. I have been studying Spanish on and off for about 6 years now. I also have done a little German. 😀 My favorite weird word usually changes quite frequently lol. Currently, I have been messing around with the word “languor”. Idk if it is technically is classified as ‘weird’, but I love it anyway. 😛

*High fives* Me too! What’s your horse’s name? What are they like?! I want to know everything! (Is this an excuse for me to rant about my horses too? Nooo…. XD) Do you ride English or Western?

Wow! That is so fantastic! My current gals name is Sage. She is a dun grulla Quarter Horse, and is such a spunky monkey yet big teddy bear smooshed into one. I ride Western, but would absolutely LOVE to get into English riding. Specifically hunter/jumper stuff. Endurance riding is also a big interest here. 😀 How about yours? What do you ride? Tell me everything!! I give you my permission to rant about your horses. 😀 I could talk horses all day lol.

Oh man, that’s an awesome theme! I love everything you’ve written on it so far! I bet it’ll turn out amazing! At what stage are you? What’s your favorite thing about it so far?

Thank you so much!! Currently, it’s in the beginning stages of a draft. 😀 My favorite thing so far is unraveling the mystery of the lamp. Do you ever get excited about what’s going to happen next even though you don’t know what it is yet? I just love the feeling! *hands clasped, eyes closed; sighs*.

Some more brief fun facts about me! I adore medieval weapons in general and swords in particular! I’ve been doing HEMA for a few months now and I love it so much! I play the Celtic harp, I’m a digital artist, and I’ve been writing for just about two years. (I think next month is my writiversary actually. (I just made up that word but I love it already))

Whoa! That is awesome! I love studying the medieval times! Do you have a favorite author/book that writes/is written in the medieval time period?

What is a Celtic harp? It sounds so lovely!

Hey, that word is awesome! You should submit it as a permanent word in the dictionary! 😀

I’m fascinated by historical fashion and I sew a lot! (Also I yell at books that confuse bustles and crinolines and stays and corsets. I’m reading a book that talked about an 1810s heroine wearing “a bright red dress with crinolines as big as a sofa” and I had to take deep breaths not to scream, it’s great! XD)

XD Sewing! I have a love-hate relationship with a sewing machine lol. It is super awesome (not to mention fun), but also can be incredibly frustrating. *gasp* Have you ever made a dress with hoop skirts? I have always wanted to, but just haven’t gotten up the courage yet. *sighs*

P.S. Thanks so much for the quote tips! I was wondering…:P Hope these quotes looks like they are supposed to! *hiding face in hands while clicking “submit”*

"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book." -J. Smiley

Braelynn
    @braelynn

@inkhorn

Welcome Braelyn! I am Inkhorn *pauses for dramatic affect and blushes when only crickets are heard*  I just got to say I love your profile picture.

Awww, well thanks! 😍

Yay! Another violinist and pianist! And that’s cool you’re writing music! Which instrument do you like better? What kind of music do you prefer?

Wow! That is super! I generally prefer piano over violin solely for reason that I can play all the parts at once rather than just one on a violin. I love violin though too! (especially in a group setting :D) Composing. *pauses in thought* I don’t quite know how to technically classify my compositions; perhaps contemporary classical? I also love recording and writing worship music with my bro.

Sounds interesting and those are some deep themes. What inspired you to write about these themes?

It is *gasp* deep. 😛 *wondering why I ever got myself into this mess* I guess what really inspired me is the rise of a new age belief that truth is based on ones experiences. Odd, but intriguing. There are of course solid truths, and I am exploring the differences as I write. 😀

Casimir: destroyer of peace; origin: Medieval Latin

Oooh, I like this one!

I love researching names. There are some really funny/strange ones out there.

Totally! I could waist hours “literally” researching names. 🤪 This might be weird, but do you ever base your characters off of costume models on Pinterest? I love looking up costumes from the time period I am writing in, and sometimes basing my characters off of them. There’s a wealth of ideas!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Braelynn.

Braelynn
    @braelynn

@rose-colored-fancy

Oops! Just realized I sent the above to Rose instead of your forum username.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@braelynn

Oops! Just realized I sent the above to Rose instead of your forum username.

Don’t worry about it! That happens to all of us, it’s not an issue 🙂

That is so so awesome! What is your trilogy about? How long have you been working on it?

It’s a fantasy in a North-African-inspired setting. It’s about the princess of one of the tribes, Liorah, who has to rescue her brother after he’s captured by one of the enemy tribes, and they have to try to stop/win the war.

Liorah is… quite a character XD She’s a lot of fun to write XD

I’ve been working on it for two years, and that included the first draft of all three books and a complete rewrite of the first. I’m working on the first draft of book 3, then book 1 can go out to beta-readers to be destroyed! (Yes I’m scared why do you ask? 😀 )

Hmmm, good question. I have been studying Spanish on and off for about 6 years now. I also have done a little German.   My favorite weird word usually changes quite frequently lol. Currently, I have been messing around with the word “languor”. Idk if it is technically is classified as ‘weird’, but I love it anyway.

Oohh, that’s awesome! I understand about 70% of German but I can barely speak a full sentence XD Spanish also sounds awesome!

Ooohh, languor is an excellent one! I’m partial to “Lollop” though I haven’t gotten to use it yet XD

Wow! That is so fantastic! My current gals name is Sage. She is a dun grulla Quarter Horse, and is such a spunky monkey yet big teddy bear smooshed into one. I ride Western, but would absolutely LOVE to get into English riding. Specifically hunter/jumper stuff. Endurance riding is also a big interest here.   How about yours? What do you ride? Tell me everything!! I give you my permission to rant about your horses.   I could talk horses all day lol.

Awww, she sounds awesome! Spunky teddy horses are the absolute best! And grulla is a stunning color!

I own two horses rn, but I only ride one. Both are flaxen-chestnuts, and their breeds are…. horse and pony XD We don’t have any idea of their breeds but my riding horse probably has a good bit of Welsh Cob in there somewhere XD

My riding horse is called Djadon, but I usually call him Donny. (Or “You little criminal” depending on circumstances XD) My other pony is called Lightning, she’s roundabout 28, so she’s fully retired. (I’ve also outgrown her, so now she just gets cuddled XD)

Lightning has the attitude of an eccentric Victorian lady who lives all alone in a massive mansion and Djadon has exactly one brain cell, bless his heart XD Thankfully, he’s gorgeous so that makes up for his lack of morals and brains XD He’s flaxen chestnut, and his mane comes down past his chest! I have to keep it braided or he’ll tangle it, but it’s still pretty 😀 (Actually, he’s the horse in my pfp! That’s a painting I made a while ago)

I’ve only ever ridden English! I mainly do dressage but Donny loves to jump and he’s surprisingly good at it, I really love it as well, so that’s awesome!

Thank you so much!! Currently, it’s in the beginning stages of a draft.   My favorite thing so far is unraveling the mystery of the lamp. Do you ever get excited about what’s going to happen next even though you don’t know what it is yet? I just love the feeling! *hands clasped, eyes closed; sighs*.

Oh YESSS that’s the best feeling! I love when you’re figuring out the project as you’re working on it and you have those awesome lightbulb moments!

Whoa! That is awesome! I love studying the medieval times! Do you have a favorite author/book that writes/is written in the medieval time period?

LOL, I actually don’t know any off the top of my head XD I do enjoy them when I find them though!

What is a Celtic harp? It sounds so lovely!

It’s a harp with levers instead of pedals! So it’s smaller than an orchestra harp and the flats and sharps are managed with little metal levers above the strings instead of pedals! It comes in various sizes, I have one of the bigger sizes (about 37 strings I think.)

I can play most piano sheet music with some adaptations in finger placement!

XD Sewing! I have a love-hate relationship with a sewing machine lol. It is super awesome (not to mention fun), but also can be incredibly frustrating. *gasp* Have you ever made a dress with hoop skirts? I have always wanted to, but just haven’t gotten up the courage yet. *sighs*

Oh, same! It can be unbelievably frustrating XD

Unfortunately not, I always try to make things I might actually wear, but honestly, I’ve always wanted to! I might make one someday, but for now, the sheer amount of work and fabric isn’t really worth it considering I’ll only wear it a few times 🙁

P.S. Thanks so much for the quote tips! I was wondering…:P Hope these quotes look like they are supposed to! *hiding face in hands while clicking “submit”*

Yep, looks great! 😀

@noah-cochran

Wow. That is…insanity. xD

I know right!??? Not even the size, (crinolines were occasionally really big, though it was more exception than the rule. This is funnier when you realize there’s documentation of them being used as personal space reinforcers by just kind of shoving your skirts against people IIRC XD) but that this was supposed to be in the 1810s? Crinolines didn’t come into fashion until the 1850s, almost forty years later! It’s the difference between Pride and Prejudice and Little Women, which is not negligible.

And later on, the heroine was mentioned wearing a bustle, which was in fashion after the 1870s. And of course not to forget that tightlacing a corset is mentioned in that context. (Which was done in the 1900s, occasionally. It wasn’t anywhere near the fashionable silhouette in that period.) And of course, we got the deprecating mention of how limiting and uncomfortable stays are.

And a woman is mentioned wearing rouge, which was quite scandalous until the 1920s. So… we have 110 years discrepancy at its worst point.

Honestly, I don’t mind if there are minor errors. (Like the wrong color, bright colors were unfashionable in that period) but the petticoat/crinoline/bustle issue could have been resolved with a Wikipedia search, or even just watching a mediocre adaptation of P&P.

As you can tell, I’ve been treating that historical fiction more like a fantasy novel which happens to include England XD Thank you for coming to my TED talk again XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Braelynn
    @braelynn

@noah-cochran

Hi Noah!

Don’t overdo the tenacity too much.

Hey, thanks. It is both a blessing and a curse. 😂

What languages have you learned? I just started learning French, but I’m what one might call a ‘learner of languages in history.’ In other words, I  learn the roots of languages and words in other languages (like Turkish, Arabic, Latin, and French) by studying medieval history. I have great respect for polygots, but wow is learning languages hard. xD

Wow! That is impressive! Agreed. Languages are challenging, but so rewarding! My favorites are Germanic languages.

Ah, a thesaurus lover. I also have a rather voracious desire to extend my lexicon.

*high fives* Awesome!! Keep it up! (Love the word choice btw 😃) Funny how clusters of letters that form meaning are so captivating. 😉🧐

It’s about time I meet another historical fiction writer. My first practice novel was medieval historical fiction, and the series I’m working on is also medieval historical fiction.

Yay! That is phenomenal! How long is your series so far? Do you have a theme?

Are your historical fiction WIPs medieval as well?

I would say about half of my WIP’s are set in a medieval time period. The other half… well, let’s just say a whole mixture of epochs from across the centuries. 😅

My love for medieval historical fiction stems from my love of medieval history (of which I read a ton). Do you study that period much?

Yes! I would totally agree there. It is so intriguing! I haven’t studied it as much as I would like to, but hope to more in the future! Do you have a favorite historical fiction author?

I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of that. Describe it for me.

(Stolen from Google *gasp*, but I thought it did a better job then I 😉) Spikeball is an original sport that combines the teamwork of volleyball, the hand-eye coordination of four square, and the physicality of a cardio workout. The two-on-two game is played with a small rubber ball and an elastic net stretched tight over a plastic rim.

Nice. You’re obviously in great shape. How long have you been into that?

I would say on and off for about 2 years. Mostly in the spring and fall when the weather is so gorgeous. 😀

I’ve gone to track meets a couple times in my life, but the only thing I’m good for is sprints (100 meter dash especially).

That’s so awesome! I would love to do that someday. I have only ever competed against myself (and friends in congenial competition). 😛

Ah, I adore both as well. I love to sing and do it both with myself and groups after Church (and during Church of course).

Ah, singing; one of my absolute favorites. That is so neat that you have a group to sing with! Do you sing in four part harmony?

I play the Ocarina, and will be able to play the guitar sometime in the next 40 years.

Fascinating! I don’t believe I have ever heard someone play an Ocarina before. What does it sound like?

I love listening to the violin, how long have you played it?

Hmmm, I would say on and off for about 10 years. I have been taking lessons for only 3 years though. 🙂

My brother and I are also into music theory, and hopefully someday we’ll be able to compose something–I have a ton to learn though.

That awesome! Music theory is captivating, but incredibly enigmatic at the same time. 🙈 It been an up-hill battle.

How many WIPs do you have right now?

Well, WIP’s that I actually hope to finish sometime currently count 3. I do have many others that I have written, but they have just ended up sitting in a folder on my laptop as mile markers in my progress as an aspiring author. 😛

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@braelynn

Funny how clusters of letters that form meaning are so captivating.

My sentiments exactly. 🙂

How long is your series so far? Do you have a theme?

I’ve only written the first book, but I’m planning to have it be a five book series. The first one came in at a little over 190k words, and the rest will be at least slightly longer than that each, so it’ll take me a while. xD

I’ve discussed the topic of theme with my older sister (also a writer) several times, and personally, I rarely give a central theme to a book, and I build a story on plot and character without even thinking about a central theme. However, what I consider the themes of my books are the character arcs (and possibly the villain’s flaw), and putting together all the characters in my series, there is a strong central theme. In this case, it is dealing with the pain, death, and evil that is rampant in the world.

How do you handle theme in your stories? Do you start with theme and build from there? Or do you start with plot?

The other half… well, let’s just say a whole mixture of epochs from across the centuries.

I love it. 🙂 Do you study all those parts of history before you write in them?

Yes! I would totally agree there. It is so intriguing! I haven’t studied it as much as I would like to, but hope to more in the future! Do you have a favorite historical fiction author?

Disappointingly, there are usually one of two problems with medieval historical fiction: one, they have inappropriate content (aka, everyone in their mother has a described affair), and two, they take historical fiction down a route I don’t prefer. Though I do love history, I prefer the central plot and characters to be fictional, and the setting to be historical. Most historical fiction I find is either about a historical person, or a historical event (like a war). The historical fiction I’m writing is centered on fictional characters and plot, but it had many historical features and events feature in it (and in several cases, those events are very much connected to the plot).

Anyway, that answer was gratuitous in the extreme, but I felt the need to clarify, so there you go. xD The single best medieval historical fiction novel I’ve read is Behold the Dawn by K. M. Weiland. I would highly recommend it. For non-medieval historical fiction, I would recommend Alexander Dumas–Count of Monte Cristo, and every 1800s mystery author (Conan Doyle, Wilkie Collins).

(Stolen from Google *gasp*, but I thought it did a better job then I  ) Spikeball is an original sport that combines the teamwork of volleyball, the hand-eye coordination of four square, and the physicality of a cardio workout. The two-on-two game is played with a small rubber ball and an elastic net stretched tight over a plastic rim.

That sounds interesting. *proceeds to go look up a video of Spikeball being played

Ah, singing; one of my absolute favorites. That is so neat that you have a group to sing with! Do you sing in four part harmony?

We try to. My family alone isn’t skilled enough to do it ourselves, but with some of our friends who are great alto’s and tenors, it sounds quite nice.

Fascinating! I don’t believe I have ever heard someone play an Ocarina before. What does it sound like?

Hmm…a haunted recorder is the best description I can give. xD

Well, WIP’s that I actually hope to finish sometime currently count 3.

One fantasy and two historical fictions? Or what are they?

@rose-colored-fancy

I know right!??? Not even the size, (crinolines were occasionally really big, though it was more exception than the rule.

Still. Crinolines that big are…too big for my liking xD

This is funnier when you realize there’s documentation of them being used as personal space reinforcers by just kind of shoving your skirts against people IIRC XD) but that this was supposed to be in the 1810s? Crinolines didn’t come into fashion until the 1850s, almost forty years later! It’s the difference between Pride and Prejudice and Little Women, which is not negligible.

For the record, I didn’t know the exact dates–though if I was writing fiction about it, hopefully I would have researched it first.

And later on, the heroine was mentioned wearing a bustle, which was in fashion after the 1870s. And of course not to forget that tightlacing a corset is mentioned in that context. (Which was done in the 1900s, occasionally. It wasn’t anywhere near the fashionable silhouette in that period.) And of course, we got the deprecating mention of how limiting and uncomfortable stays are.

Could you give me a quick explanation on the difference between a stay and a corset?

And a woman is mentioned wearing rouge, which was quite scandalous until the 1920s. So… we have 110 years discrepancy at its worst point.

No hold up just a minute. 🙃 What exactly does ‘until the 1920s’ mean?

If you are referring to Victorian and American culture in the 1700s and 1800s, then I’ll take your word for it. But if you go back to the middle ages–in the Eastern Roman/Byzantine empire in particular–women did wear forms of rouge. Just had to mention that. 🙂

Thank you for coming to my TED talk again XD

It was most enjoyable. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Still. Crinolines that big are…too big for my liking xD

LOL, it’s like bumper cars but with your clothes XD Just imagine how easy it would be to move through a crowd with steel hoops! XD Also, most crinolines weren’t nearly that big, the narrator was exaggerating. XD

For the record, I didn’t know the exact dates–though if I was writing fiction about it, hopefully I would have researched it first.

LOL, if you knew they didn’t happen at the same time you’re already ahead of the author XD I actually didn’t know the dates either, just a vague idea, but Google is a gift to the world! XD

Could you give me a quick explanation on the difference between a stay and a corset?

You’re getting me started on one of my favorite subjects again XD Okay, I did some more research and the author was accidentally correct. That was the period that corsets and stays began to blend. The terms were occasionally used interchangably, but considering the bustle/crinoline issue I’m guessing this was more accidental than intentional on the author’s side XD

So, the short answer is that it’s mostly chronological. Elizabethan era until just after Regency was stays, and Victorian and Edwardian was mainly corsets. However, there was a lot of overlap, but they weren’t the same garment.

The clearest difference is construction. Corsets were used to refer to softer structured undergarments, mostly made by strategically pieced fabric with some cording, while stays were fully or partially boned.

Also, corsets were almost always worn under other clothes, while some stays were covered with fancy fabric and worn as outer garments in the 16th century, while peasants would often just wear chemise, stays, and petticoats without a gown.

Now, as a writer of action/adventure stuff, my first thought was how this could be weaponized. What else.

First of all, stays are awesome armor. I found a video where someone demonstrates how they could effectively deflect a cut and even a stab with a knife. After all, they’re made of whalebone and layers of fabric, it’s not easy to cut through. There are historical accounts of women who survived stabbings because they were wearing stays or corsets (both function, depending on how they were made, but stays are safest.)

In fact, steel-boned corsets (much later) have historically deflected bullets! Not often, but it happened at least once XD

And stays have this lovely little thing referred to as a busk, which goes right in front. It’s a big piece of wood, whalebone, or even steel. It’s about ten inches long and maybe two inches wide, so it’s a pretty big piece of solid material. Also, it’s easily removable, even when fully dressed.

So, I was thinking, if you just sharpen the edges of a steel busk a bit, you have a nice big knife that you can carry discreetly! There’s no historical evidence but there’s no reason it couldn’t work!

Even if you don’t sharpen it, you can absolutely just whack someone with it. I don’t know if this is historical but it very well could be.

I’m going to use that in the 16th-century fantasy I’m planning next XD

No hold up just a minute.   What exactly does ‘until the 1920s’ mean?

If you are referring to Victorian and American culture in the 1700s and 1800s, then I’ll take your word for it. But if you go back to the middle ages–in the Eastern Roman/Byzantine empire in particular–women did wear forms of rouge. Just had to mention that.

I was speaking specifically of the Victorian era, but you’re completely correct! Rouge was common in some areas in the middle ages and very common in the ancient world.

I’m guessing you did that research after I pointed out Joelle’s eye makeup? XD Wild guess XD

It was most enjoyable.

I’m glad you enjoyed it because I definitely did! I get very passionate about this, it fascinates me XD

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@braelynn

Wow! That is super! I generally prefer piano over violin solely for reason that I can play all the parts at once rather than just one on a violin. I love violin though too! (especially in a group setting :D) Composing. *pauses in thought* I don’t quite know how to technically classify my compositions; perhaps contemporary classical? I also love recording and writing worship music with my bro.

Contemporary classical is pretty cool. That’s great that you do worship music! How many songs have you written of both genres (I’m not sure what word people use in referring to music)?

Totally! I could waist hours “literally” researching names.   This might be weird, but do you ever base your characters off of costume models on Pinterest? I love looking up costumes from the time period I am writing in, and sometimes basing my characters off of them. There’s a wealth of ideas!

I’ve never done that with my characters though it sounds like it’ll be a huge help in creating the setting. I can imagine that it’s pretty entertaining. Some of the fashions that I’ve seen are hilarious! Especially when it comes to women’s hairstyles!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Inkhorn.

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

it’s like bumper cars but with your clothes

Oh wow, that is an amazingly awesome description–and you’ve also ruined crinolines completely.  xD I love it.

You’re getting me started on one of my favorite subjects again

Thanks for the info! I definitely have some research to do for those periods.

I’m guessing you did that research after I pointed out Joelle’s eye makeup?

I’m sure I did some research after you mentioned that, but this particular information I acquired while reading about the Byzantine empire, and researching one types of make up a character in my series could wear–which in this case, could be most of the common powders, rouges, some eyeliners, etc..

Braelynn
    @braelynn

@rose-colored-fancy

It’s a fantasy in a North-African-inspired setting. It’s about the princess of one of the tribes, Liorah, who has to rescue her brother after he’s captured by one of the enemy tribes, and they have to try to stop/win the war.

Wow! That is super! I would love to read it once you have it finished. 😀

Liorah is… quite a character XD She’s a lot of fun to write XD

Ah, my love for my characters in mirrored in you.

I’ve been working on it for two years, and that included the first draft of all three books and a complete rewrite of the first. I’m working on the first draft of book 3, then book 1 can go out to beta-readers to be destroyed!

Wow girl! That’s awesome! I have never tried a trilogy before; always have wrapped it up in one book. 😀 Definitely in my bucket list though!

(Yes I’m scared why do you ask?)

Lol My feelings exactly. *bites lips in panic*

Oohh, that’s awesome! I understand about 70% of German but I can barely speak a full sentence XD

Hey! I thought I was the only one with this issue. 🧐😆

I’m partial to “Lollop” though I haven’t gotten to use it yet XD

Ah, I like it! *begins rummaging through current WIP’s to find a spot to squeeze it in*

I own two horses rn, but I only ride one. Both are flaxen-chestnuts, and their breeds are…. horse and pony XD We don’t have any idea of their breeds but my riding horse probably has a good bit of Welsh Cob in there somewhere XD

That is so awesome! I love Welsh Cob’s! That was actually my wanna be first horse breed, but I ended up getting a Hackney/Quarter Pony cross. She rode and drove, so that was a ton of fun! I didn’t end up keeping her because she had foundered in the past, and couldn’t be on pasture. I still miss her. 😥❤️

My riding horse is called Djadon, but I usually call him Donny. (Or “You little criminal” depending on circumstances XD) My other pony is called Lightning, she’s roundabout 28, so she’s fully retired. (I’ve also outgrown her, so now she just gets cuddled XD)

Awww, the sweethearts. 💝 Love the name choices!

He’s flaxen chestnut, and his mane comes down past his chest! I have to keep it braided or he’ll tangle it, but it’s still pretty   (Actually, he’s the horse in my pfp! That’s a painting I made a while ago)

Wow! I love the painting! You are really good! Djadon is a handsome boy.

I’ve only ever ridden English! I mainly do dressage but Donny loves to jump and he’s surprisingly good at it, I really love it as well, so that’s awesome!

That is so neat! There’s nothing quite like the feeling of being atop a 1000 pound animal as they hurl themselves into air. Have you shown him before?

It’s a harp with levers instead of pedals! So it’s smaller than an orchestra harp and the flats and sharps are managed with little metal levers above the strings instead of pedals! It comes in various sizes, I have one of the bigger sizes (about 37 strings I think.)

I can play most piano sheet music with some adaptations in finger placement!

Wow! Fascinating! Harp is a gorgeous instrument.

Unfortunately not, I always try to make things I might actually wear, but honestly, I’ve always wanted to! I might make one someday, but for now, the sheer amount of work and fabric isn’t really worth it considering I’ll only wear it a few times

Same reason here. 😆

Braelynn
    @braelynn

@inkhorn

Contemporary classical is pretty cool. That’s great that you do worship music! How many songs have you written of both genres (I’m not sure what word people use in referring to music)?

Hmmm, good question. Not very many, but I would love to do more in the future. Perhaps around 9 all together?

Some of the fashions that I’ve seen are hilarious! Especially when it comes to women’s hairstyles!

Ooohh, yes. 😂 A friend just recently sent me a pic of Marie Antoinette’s “boat” hairstyle. 😂 Look up Pouf hairstyle on Wikipedia, and behold the extraordinary works of art that are also *ah-hum* slightly disconcerting.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest