Hello! *shy wave*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello! *shy wave*

This topic contains 165 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Silver Shadow 1 day, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 166 total)
  • Author

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@tashah-claymore

Hello, fellow introvert, and welcome to SE! Tis a wonderful place for all writers, poets, and artists alike.

I’m Sarah-Inkdragon, but you may call my anything from Sarah to Inkie to Sink to Sync if you’d like, and I’m an INTJ who’s also a senior in high school and is yet to finish a single book(mostly because I have too many ideas XD). I write fantasy, cannot write short stories, and fancy myself as slightly skilled in the are of world-building and cultures as well as languages(3-ish years of Classical Latin and 2 of Ancient Greek + some German and Japanese tend to help lol), though I’m by no means a scholar. Yet. I wouldn’t mind being one. *shrug*

So, what’s your favorite part of fantasy?

Veritas Nunquam Perit. (The truth never dies.)

Silver Shadow
    @tashah-claymore

@dekreel thanks!  Your fanfic sounds pretty cool.  I know you said it wasn’t great, but it definitely has the potential to be.  It’s awesome you made up your own Doctor!  I don’t think I’d be able to do that. 😄  I haven’t watched the older/original Doctor Who seasons yet, so I’ve only seen Doctors 9-12.  I’d like to, though!

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching." -Gerard Way

Silver Shadow
    @tashah-claymore

Hi, @sarah-inkdragon!  I love your name!

Yeah, I haven’t finished a book yet because of having so many ideas as well!  I’ve been trying to focus on just one, but it doesn’t always work lol.  That’s so cool you know (at least parts of) so many languages!  I took Classical Latin for 2 years, but I don’t remember a whole lot.  And I’ve been trying to make my own language for one of my books (the one I’m trying to work on the most), but it hasn’t really been going well.

My favorite thing about fantasy is probably being able to make my own world and my own rules about it.  What about you?  Also, I love your signature!

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching." -Gerard Way

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@tashah-claymore  Thanks. I’m glad it sounds cool at least. 😛

My parents are also Whovians and they were both raised on the older Doctors. So I picked it up from them. The older ones are pretty cool. Being the 1900s the effects and costumes etc. can be kind of cheesy. Other than that they’re fun to watch. Funnily enough, for years I was the exact opposite of you in that I never watched any of the current Doctors. Just the classics. I was a weirdo among Whovians. XD  At this point I’ve seen all of the Ninth and Tenth, and the first seasons of the Eleventh and Twelfth. Haven’t seen Thirteen yet. I can see why everyone loves David Tennant so much!

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Silver Shadow
    @tashah-claymore

@dekreel I think you could definitely make your fanfic be cool, not just sound that way. 😄

My friend got me hooked on Doctor Who, and then I got my brother hooked on it. XD I definitely will watch the classic Doctor Who sometime.  I’m not really interested in the 13th Doctor though, because I’ve heard she’s not that great.  Do you have a favorite companion?  Mine’s probably Rose Tyler.

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@tashah-claymore  I have tried. Many times. There’s just too many plot holes. The story as a whole wasn’t even that good in the first place. It was doomed from the start. 😉

I’m curious about the Thirteenth. I’d like to try her someday even if I might not like her. If you want to get into the classics, start with Tom Baker, the Fourth Doctor (the one with the scarf). He, in my opinion, was the best Doctor that ever happened to the show. I’d highly recommend him.

My favorite companion is probably Nyssa from the classics. She was alongside the Fifth.

Blog

Silver Shadow
    @tashah-claymore

@dekreel I suppose some stories just aren’t meant to be.  I’ve experienced that myself.

I’ll definitely start with the 4th Doctor.  Thanks for the tip/suggestion!

I’m looking forward to meeting Nyssa and the other companions from the classics!

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@tashah-claymore  Maybe in the future I’ll fiddle around with it a little more. But for now, it’s as dead as a Cyberman’s emotions. 😛

(unlessyoucountDannybutAHEM)

Sure! Let me know if you get the chance to watch it! 😉

Blog

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@tashah-claymore

Why thank you. *bows*

Hmm, my favorite part of fantasy is probably the capabilities of using morality in it. To put it simply–fantasy is unique. You can use that to make so many more moral and ethical situations and questions arise that you can normally(in my opinion XD), and that’s something I love. I’m all about the technicalities of psychology, morality, culture, character, etc. Which I suppose could make my favorite thing technically world-building, but that’s something a little different in my opinion. I love the ability to question the mind of the reader–and the ability to make them cry with angst and sadness. XD

Ah, you also took Classical Latin? Cool! Haha, yeah it’s hard to remember, and I’m not great at writing it but I can read it pretty well. Speaking it…. well, it’s a dead language for a reason. 😉

Veritas Nunquam Perit. (The truth never dies.)

Silver Shadow
    @tashah-claymore

@dekreel yeah, Danny’s kind of an exception there. XD

I will be sure to let you know when I watch the classics! 😄

@sarah-inkdragon fantasy is great that way, being able to make it whatever you want.  And I do agree that more moral and ethical situations and questions arise in fantasy.  At least it’s easier and less obvious to bring them up. They tend to be more powerful as well, at least in my experience.

Classical Latin can be pretty hard!  My brother has taken Latin for . . . four years or something like that?  And he’s still taking it now.  He sometimes says Latin phrases or sentences and I just look at him all confused lol.  He’ll repeat it back slower, but it either takes me a minute to get what he’s saying or I don’t get it at all and he needs to translate.  The latter tends to happen more often.

August Grace
    @august-grace

Howdy @tashah-claymore

I’m so sorry for not replying sooner! For some reason I must have missed your message or something.

I’m doing well thanks. Forgive me if you already did mention it in the above messages, but do you have a WIP? If so, what is it about?

Aussie contortionist, acrobat, photographer, filmmaker, runner, musician and health fanatic.

Silver Shadow
    @tashah-claymore

Hi, @august-grace!

It’s totally fine!  I understand.

My main WIP is called Warriors Unite, and it’s a completely fantasy world.  There are 5 different Races, and at the time the book takes place, none of them like each other.  They’re not at full-out war with each other, but borders are closely watched and heavily guarded.  An evil sorcerer named Saclon rises up and begins to take out the cities and towns within the Races, and since no one’s helping each other, Saclon is having an easy victory.  The main character is an Elf-girl named Siventhia Tareth Greenwood.  It’s up to her to unite the Races and lead them into victory against Saclon.  I have a bunch of other story ideas as well, though.

My second-main WIP is for a short story and is actually for a competition.  It’s about this girl named Rainbow Moon.  It’s set in the future, on earth.  And it’s not fantasy, mainly because the place I’m doing the competition at gave me the 1st and 20th paragraphs of the story (I have to write 50), so I had to go off of those.  It’s set in Elysium City, and the government is Greater Good Industries (GGI).  GGI is trying to make the perfect utopia and make humans immortal.  But they can only afford to try it with a select group of people, so the rest of the population is severely neglected.  GGI gave them (everybody, even those within the Experiments) Orations to chant that act as a drug, making people blind to what is really going on.  The Orations are also highly addictive, like a drug.  Rainbow’s parents were figuring stuff out about GGI, but were Eliminated by GGI before they knew everything.  Rainbow is on a quest to finish what her parents started and shut GGI down.

What do you think?  And do you have a WIP?  If yes, what’s it about?

Also, if I’ve mentioned a WIP before here I definitely haven’t gone into this much detail so no worries!

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

Hey @tashah-claymore, I’m new here too. (Nice name.) I’m a freshman in high school and I also love to write fantasy and world build. Though I also write poetry, too. How many fantasy worlds do you have? Or do you have a fictional universe with multiple planets? That’s what I have, but there’s no sci-fi in it. (Ex-going from planet to planet through space.) I’m keeping it all fantasy and attempting to go from the standpoint of Tolkien: create the languages first then invent a world for them. Unfortunately, I haven’t exactly followed that completely but still, I’m getting some pretty serious stuff out.

I also started writing around the age of 11 or 12 and have been writing since! And I play the piano and guitar, though the piano for much longer and the guitar I just began because my church needed one. Let’s just say I’m not the best in the world, but I’m still learning. I’ve still yet to publish a novel but I’m working on that, too.

I posted a piece of poetry on the Fresh Poems on the Poetry Discussions for the Forum it you guys want to critique it.

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

@tashah-claymore – For languages, I would advise you to look into the ology of linguistics. It really helped me. Also, you might want to think about the system of letters you would like to use, because if you have your own fantasy world, there won’t be English letters or any other for that matter, savvy? Also, other fantasy writer’s languages that you could look into would probably be good, as well, because you could then study them and grasp ideas of what you’re working with. Not to mention that I found Scandinavian languages to be very interesting. Be original. You’re inventing, right? You can invent! Worried about word structure? Try to flip it! How about NO word structure? Work with stuff like this!

Silver Shadow
    @tashah-claymore

Hi, @w-o-holmes!  Thanks!

Each story of mine either has its own fantasy world or it’s on earth with fantasy creatures and such thrown in.  I haven’t created a whole universe yet!  Maybe I will one day, though.  That’d be cool.

With guitar, I know a grand total of two chords, so I’m sure you’re a lot better than I am!  Have you at least finished the first draft of a complete novel?  I haven’t.  But I’m working on it!  And I’ll definitely go check out your poem!  I’ve written one poem, and I guess it’s decent.  I don’t know.  I’ve tried writing more but nothing good has come of it.

Thanks for the advice about language creating!  I never really thought about a letter system that wasn’t English letters.  I’ll do that, though!  I’ll create my own letters and my own way of putting them together.  And my own pronunciation!  Gaelic, Swedish, Latin and German are probably my favorite languages, so I’ll probably get some inspiration/ideas from them.  Thanks again for the tips!  They’ve really helped a lot!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest