Hello! *shy wave*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello! *shy wave*

This topic contains 165 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Silver Shadow 1 day, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 166 total)
  • Author

Silver Shadow
    @tashah-claymore

@abigail-rebekah

Almost forgot!  Authors!

J.R.R. Tolkien, James Dashner, John Flanagan, Elizabeth Peters, Brandon Sanderson, C.S. Lewis, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Lilian Jackson Braun

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching." -Gerard Way

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@w-o-holmes

“Btw, it really isn’t MY definition. I am a Christian based on my doctrine that I believe in. Based upon the Bible. People call themselves Christians but not all the time that is true. You can’t believe everything you hear, you know? My point being, a Christian is not just any person. A Christian is someone who repents and believes the gospel. Afterward, they are transformed and their life is totally and wholly different. They live for Him. They are His tools. They stand out in the world; the Bible says that they will.”

Yeah, I understand. But I’m calling it “your” and “my” for the sake of hopefully being less confusing lol.

““…I understand my own BELIEF…”-You: You call (this) your OWN BELIEF. Are you speaking about Christianity? If it is your own belief, then you are professing to be a Christian. But above you said that you don’t define yourself as a Christian.”

So you’re saying that (again, using “your” and “my” just for the sake of being less confusing) your definition of a Christian is someone who believes the correct doctrine, believes in God, and that Jesus is his son? (I’m not disbelieving you here, just wanna make sure I’m not getting the wrong idea)

“Very nice, and I see your point, which indeed has merit. But I shall still post verses on here and direct quotations when I feel the need. Not that I’m completely ignoring your statement. I’m acknowledging it. But I feel that it is my duty to show where one should go to look at this.”

*nods* And that’s fine 🙂

“On your topic that you presented on versions of the Bible, I wouldn’t say that there is an English Bible that is a total and complete translation of the original Greek Bible. I would agree with you there. But. This does not mean that the King James version is a good version. My first Bible was given to me one Christmas when I was younger, around 5. It was a New King James. The King James versions are much simpler that other versions. I now see that. I have a NASB (New American Standard Bible). But, it’s a study Bible (by John MacArthur). It has the actual Bible with a commentary on the bottom. The commentary is very helpful and I trust John MacArthur because of his fruit. What he has done by faith. Not works alone. But works by faith in Christ. (That’s another realm to explore! Many people go by what they’ve done and what they’ve accomplished and they boast in this. But the Bible says that we should only boast in God. And what this means for Christians is that after they repent and believe, they are clothed in righteousness (as quoted above) and are new creations in Him. Christians are to obey Him, and we obey Him through works BY faith. And not of ourselves, but to Him be the glory.) Anyway, John MacArthur has show fruit (we are living trees (Psalm 1), and Christ is our soil and sun. Thus, what we produce will be of the fruits of the spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. These are shown in him by His faith in God.”

I understand what you say here. And I agree, to some extent. But we believe that if man adds at all to the Bible (or worship) it’s wrong to do so. Even if it might be done with good intentions. (Now, I’m not saying that there isn’t the possibility that the Bible we (me and my family) use is completely wrong, and so we’re all in error. I’m not saying that I know for a fact that ours is true and nobody else’s is. Because I don’t.)

I can see that neither one of us is going to back down from our respective sides here. And I think it would be foolishness to carry this on any further. (Please don’t think I’ve ignored everything you’ve said. I’ve taken it all into consideration, and it’s been useful to me. But neither one of us is going to be able to say anything (I don’t think) that’ll make the other person change their mind.) So, with all due respect, if we could go ahead and close this down pretty quickly, that would be great 🙂

“Haha! Yeah, me too!” 😀

@tashah-claymore

Neither of those, actually. I just can’t switch between them very fast at all. I try, and I’ve practiced it a lot, but I just can’t. It isn’t because I can’t move my hand/fingers fast, because I can do it just fine on the piano. I’ve just kinda accepted that guitar isn’t for me XD

Thank you! Yes, he is!! 😀 We might can arrange that sometime 😉 Ah, ok. *nods*

My library has the whole series, so it’s not like I can’t check them out and read them, but I love having my favorite books to myself XD *nods* I found some of them at one of Houston’s HPBs, but I was getting some other books then and didn’t have enough for them and the RA books…

Aww! He sounds so cute! I used to have a little bantam rooster named Miguel. He was a d’Anvers. He ended up drowning in the water bucket actually. 🙁

😀 I’ll have to check those out sometime!

“When I was… a young boy… my father… took me into the city…” 😛 I’ve listened to that one a few times. I don’t usually feel emo enough for that song tho XD

XD I love lasagna!

*nods* nice, nice!

*nods again* I don’t own very much black clothing. *my closet glares at me, and chunks all my black outfits in my face* Ok, ok, lemme rephrase that… I don’t own much black clothing that I actually wear. I have a couple black t-shirts, but the rest is mostly dressy stuff like skirts and dresses. My favorite color is green (which looks really nice on me, along with oranges and browns), so I wear that a lot. HOODIES ARE AWESOME

*cough*

But yes. Hoodies and leather jackets are amazing. I don’t look good in leather jackets though. People either do, or they don’t..There’s not really an in-between.

We don’t have one where we live… 🙁 I’ve never been to one. I’ll have to keep an eye out though! (is it someplace that’s only in a particular state/city?)

Noice. Very! I especially like the last one.

*nods* I’ve never seen any of those but Princess Bride. I LOVE the LOTR books though!

Ha, so funny story here. I actually haven’t used a bow that fits me since I was 10, with one of those training bow thingies. Last year, Daddy found a bow for me to practice with, but it was too small, so I couldn’t really use it. He’s gonna see if I can pull the weight on Mama’s bow this year. (I have no clue what kind it is… As much as I enjoy archery, I dunno even what brands of bows there are…)

oooOOOHHH those sound so good…. I’m gonna have to make them for breakfast tomorrow… XD Thank youuuu!!

"..and when you get the chance.. to sit it out or dance.. I hope you dance.."

Sagastume
    @futuro

@anne_the_noob14 Wow, that’s a lot of text… that’s good I think. You have a lot to say.

Need some music? Flyleaf, BarlowGirl, Christina Grimmie, Billie Eilish, and Mandy Harvey.

Abigail Rebekah
      @abigail-rebekah

@tashah-claymore

Yeah, that’s a good way of doing it. I’ll have to teach myself to stick to one book until it is finished lol.

That’s so cool! But sad that you’ll be selling him. I guess they would take a lot of time to look after…not that I’ve ever experienced owning one 🙂 Nice! I really like Arabian horses and Paso Finos. They are so pretty.

I really like John Flanagan’s books too 🙂 I’ve actually only recently started looking at them, but I’ve heard about them before. And now…I’m like literally LOVING them lol. They are really cool. I’ve only looked at the Ranger’s Apprentice series, though. Have you read his other series?

Oh, and yes…C.S. Lewis is great. I really like the film of  Prince Caspian.  Have you seen any of the films?

I have also looked through  Lord of the Rings, and my mum has read  The Hobbit out loud to us which I enjoyed. I haven’t watched any of the films though…which is kinda crazy considering I live in NZ…but I really want to someday in my life lol.

I also really like John J. Horn’s books and Hope Ann’s. They are really good.

Have you ever travelled to other countries?

~ Laugh. Drink Coffee. Smile. And Write ~

Silver Shadow
        @tashah-claymore

@anne_the_noob14

I haven’t really tried quickly switching between chords on the guitar yet, so I don’t know how easily I can do it.  I don’t think it’ll be too hard for me,  though, since I’m used to cello and violin.  Guitar’s a lot different with the frets and everything, but quickly moving fingers on strings I am used to.

Yeah, my library has the entire series of Ranger’s Apprentice as well, and that’s how I first read them.  You should definitely go back to HPB to see if you can find them again, or if you can find more!

That’s unfortunate Miguel drowned.   We’ve had two roosters before Cinnamon.  One was an Americana, pure white with a tiny bit of black in his tail.  Unfortunately, our neighbor’s dogs got out and killed one of our hens, and the rooster, who was named Donald, became mean after that.  The second rooster we had (I don’t remember the breed) was golden with feathers on his feet, hence the name Featherfoot.  One day he just died, and we don’t know why.

I don’t really like MCR being referred to as emo.  In fact, Gerard Way (the lead singer) hates the term emo.  They’re more alternative/punk rock.  And the Black Parade is the most amazing, well-done concept albums EVER.  The story is so good, deep, subtle, in-your-face, and powerful all at the same time.  It’s quite amazing.

I think I look pretty good in leather.  No one’s ever told me otherwise.  Speaking of, I just recently got two really nice leather jackets from the thrift store.  They were only $6-$7 each!  And yes, hoodies  are absolutely fantastic!  I want to own more.

Unfortunately the Dundee Dell is only around here.  It’s in Historic Dundee in Omaha.

You should definitely watch some (or all) of the movies/shows I said!  They’re all fantastic!  Just a warning, though, the Lord of the Rings movies are a bit different from the books, even the extended edition (which I recommend).  The Hobbit movies are even more different from the book.

I don’t really know bow brands,  either.  All I know is that mine is Bear brand.  Recurve is not a brand; it’s a type.  Compound has wheels on the string to help pull it back, longbows don’t have wheels and the bow is one big arch, recurve bows are like longbows except the ends curve back.  And of course a crossbow is something else entirely.  Based on those descriptions, do you have a compound, longbow, or recurve?

You’re welcome for the recipe!

@abigail-rebekah

Yeah, I’m still teaching myself, too!  It’s easier said than done!

Having a horse is a pretty big commitment, and it can get expensive.  Different farriers charge different amounts, but mine is $40 each time, and he comes every 6-8 weeks.  Also, you have to clean the stall regularly, which of course takes time.  Fortunately for us, hay really isn’t an issue because we have our own grass field.  We have a farmer with equipment come over and bale it, and then usually he takes half the hay and we take half and no one owes any money.  It’s quite nice.  Arabians and Paso Finos are beautiful!  My neighbor owns a Polish Arabian, and he’s really pretty.  I’m hoping he gets trained to be ridden, soon.

With John Flanagan’s books, I’ve read the entire Ranger’s Apprentice series and the entire Brotherband Chronicles. I’d really like to read all his books, though!  I’m so glad you’re getting into them!

I think I’ve seen at least part of one or more Narnia films?  I don’t remember; it’s been years!  I would like to watch them, though, and read the Narnia books.

Like I told Anne, the LotR and Hobbit movies are very different from the books.  But they’re still really good and I definitely recommend watching them!

I’m not familiar with John J. Horn or Hope Anne.  What sort of books do they write?

I’ve been to Canada, but we were just driving through.  I used to live in Alaska, and when I was 8 we drove down to where we live now.  I really want to go to Italy (especially Rome), the UK, and India sometime, though.  What about you?

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching." -Gerard Way

Leon Fleming
        @w-o-holmes

@anne_the_noob14

““…I understand my own BELIEF…”-You: You call (this) your OWN BELIEF. Are you speaking about Christianity? If it is your own belief, then you are professing to be a Christian. But above you said that you don’t define yourself as a Christian.”

So you’re saying that (again, using “your” and “my” just for the sake of being less confusing) your definition of a Christian is someone who believes the correct doctrine, believes in God, and that Jesus is his son? (I’m not disbelieving you here, just wanna make sure I’m not getting the wrong idea)

By this, I was pointing out and wondering why you said what you said. 🙂

I understand what you say here. And I agree, to some extent. But we believe that if man adds at all to the Bible (or worship) it’s wrong to do so. Even if it might be done with good intentions. (Now, I’m not saying that there isn’t the possibility that the Bible we (me and my family) use is completely wrong, and so we’re all in error. I’m not saying that I know for a fact that ours is true and nobody else’s is. Because I don’t.)

Yea, it’s VERY wrong to do so. John MacArthur DOES NOT ADD to the Bible. It is a commentary. Take one verse. You read it then look down the page at the heading for the “comment” on that note. He does not add his own opinions (I think; he may, but to some extent). He shows verses that relate to the meaning of that particular verse. Verses of the Bible all together in a rope-ish form (metaphor here), that all are promoting something; this is called a doctrine. That is what he shows in the commentary.

This really helps when trying to learn and figure out something. 🙂

I can see that neither one of us is going to back down from our respective sides here. And I think it would be foolishness to carry this on any further. (Please don’t think I’ve ignored everything you’ve said. I’ve taken it all into consideration, and it’s been useful to me. But neither one of us is going to be able to say anything (I don’t think) that’ll make the other person change their mind.) So, with all due respect, if we could go ahead and close this down pretty quickly, that would be great

Yea, I think you’ve got a point here. Just to be fresh: where are we disagreeing? Besides with the posting of verses, of course. 🙂

Livi Ryddle
        @anne_the_noob14

@w-o-holmes

“By this, I was pointing out and wondering why you said what you said.”

I’ll answer that in my reply to your last question 🙂

“Yea, it’s VERY wrong to do so. John MacArthur DOES NOT ADD to the Bible. It is a commentary. Take one verse. You read it then look down the page at the heading for the “comment” on that note. He does not add his own opinions (I think; he may, but to some extent). He shows verses that relate to the meaning of that particular verse. Verses of the Bible all together in a rope-ish form (metaphor here), that all are promoting something; this is called a doctrine. That is what he shows in the commentary.

*nods* Got it. But there is merit in finding related verses yourself. In doing so, you may stumble upon others that you wish to think about, and also, what seems to be a related verse to him may not seem related to you, or you may find a verse that seems related to you, but that he didn’t think was related.

“Yea, I think you’ve got a point here. Just to be fresh: where are we disagreeing? Besides with the posting of verses, of course.”  

Over what it means to be a Christian. We seem to have different beliefs (or “definitions”… whichever you want to call it) on this point. And this is why I said what I said about understanding my “own” belief.

@tashah-claymore

*nods*

Yes! I may go to the one in Tyler (a LOT closer) and see if they have them.

Yes… I felt so bad for him. And he was actually a birthday present from my grandparents, who had gotten him from their neighbors, who were getting rid of their chickens. I also used to have one like that! (yellow, with feathers on his feet) I forget what kind he was…

*nods* And I get that. It’s just the word “emo” pops into my mind when I listen to it lol. And I have to be feeling like listening to something like that before I do.

*nods again* I’ve been nodding way too much… *clears throat* Anyway. Yes! I love thrift stores…

Ah… Yeah… I live in Texas. But if I’m ever up that way, I’ll have to check it out!

*nods AGAIN* I’ve been told so by others. I’m waiting for my grandma to bring me the movies (she has them on disc) so I can watch them.

*nods* I know most of what I know about bows from Ranger’s Apprentice lol. I guess I have a compound. I want a longbow and a recurve though..

😀

@abigail-rebekah YOU LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND AAAAHHHHH

*coughs*

I want to visit there SO MUCH AAAAHHH    …..!!!!!!!

*coughs again*

anyways…

XD

Silver Shadow
        @tashah-claymore

@anne_the_noob14

You definitely should!

Yeah, that’s unfortunate.

I can understand the immediate thought of “emo.”  A LOT of people stereotype them as emo, but they’ve got so much more than the typical “emo” band.  They have a lot more depth and meaning and sound.

I hope you get to watch LotR and the Hobbit soon!

Yeah, longbows and recurve are the best.  Recurve is my favorite, which is why that’s the one I own.

Livi Ryddle
        @anne_the_noob14

@tashah-claymore

😀

*nods* I need to listen to some more of their songs. Like P!ATD, I suppose, some songs immediately make a person jump to “emo,” but they’re really not.

Me too!!

What draw weight are you pulling?

Silver Shadow
        @tashah-claymore

@anne_the_noob14

Yeah, that’s true.

My draw weight is 29 pounds.  Once I get my accuracy near-perfect I’d like to increase it, though.  But it’s better to practice accuracy with a lighter draw weight rather than trying to muscle back the string and aim properly at the same time.  If you get your accuracy down first, you know pretty much where to point it when you get a higher draw weight.  Although higher draw weights affect arrow flight for long-distance shooting, which would take some getting used to.

Abigail Rebekah
        @abigail-rebekah

@tashah-claymore

Yeah…that makes sense. 🙂

I love his books too. They are super cool xD

John J. Horn writes historical fiction, and Hope Ann writes fantasy. I really love their books.

Cool xD The only place I’ve been to outside of NZ is the States. We went as a family a few years ago for three months. I think we went to about eleven or twelve different states. It was sooo fun. I definitely want to go back sometime in my life 🙂

I would love to travel around Europe. It would be soo cool to visit all the castles and historical places there. My mum and dad are both British so I would really like to go to England.

@anne_the_noob14

IKR!!!! It is a super beautiful place…apart from all the hobbits and weird creatures lol.

Just kidding…at least we don’t have any snakes or poisonous spiders 😉

~ Laugh. Drink Coffee. Smile. And Write ~

Silver Shadow
          @tashah-claymore

@abigail-rebekah

John J. Horn and Hope Ann sound interesting!  I’ll definitely check them out sometime.

Nice!  Do you remember which States you visited?  Or at least some of them?

Europe would be awesome!  It’s super cool your parents are British!  I just have to ask . . . do they have an accent?  A British accent?

Livi Ryddle
          @anne_the_noob14

@tashah-claymore *nods* Nice. Oh, and I brought down Mama’s bow to try and see if I can manage it, which I can with some practice. It’s a PSE Spyder. So that’s what I’ll be using for a while.

@abigail-rebekah 😛  So no orcs, huh.

Silver Shadow
          @tashah-claymore

@anne_the_noob14 cool!  Any idea what draw-weight it is?

Livi Ryddle
          @anne_the_noob14

@tashah-claymore About forty pounds.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest