Hello!!!!! New girl here…

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello!!!!! New girl here…

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Josiah DeGraaf 5 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

radicallysurrendered
    @radicallysurrendered

Hello!

I thought I would introduce myself. I am a 19-year-old girl from Mexico. Or more specifically, the lovely (albeit dry) state of Chihuahua.

I love Jesus and music and books and coffee and a bunch of other things. My hobbies include playing the piano and cello, reading, writing, playing with my adorably rambunctious dog, sewing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends.

A fun fact about me is I speak a total of four languages. That fact is only made funnier by the fact that Spanish is the language I am least fluent in, despite living in Mexico, and having lived here most of my life.

That’s me in a nutshell. I’m super excited to be here, and I hope to learn a ton from this community. 🙂

Jane Maree
      @jane-maree

@radicallysurrendered Welcome!!

You speak FOUR languages?? 😱 I really wish I could learn another language, but do I have the patience? Apparently not. I keep trying on and off, but I haven’t gotten very far. 😂

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

radicallysurrendered
      @radicallysurrendered

@jane-maree

Yep, four. The language the culture I live in speaks is a pretty rare dialect of German, and then I speak regular German, English, and Spanish. Spanish is the only one I really had to work on learning though, and I probably wouldn’t have if I didn’t live in a country where it’s the main language. I tried to learn French once upon a time, but I don’t have the patience for a language I don’t actually use either.

William Norfleet
        @w-o-holmes

@radicallysurrendered

Welcome to the SE of the SE! Of the things it is about…anyway, me name is something like William, but also maybe…Ereldier?

Besides the confusive point, welcome! And I hope you’ve a great time here on the Forum and all else!

It must be fun to switch around from language to language, yes?

"Eistret an guol nuurdor ank dohk remna lathlrao."- Uondon of Andim

radicallysurrendered
        @radicallysurrendered

@w-o-holmes

Thank you!!!

It is pretty fun, I’d say. I will sometimes switch between two languages in a single conversation, or even in a single sentence, because one language will express something a lot better than the other. As much as I love English, the German dialect has some expressions that can’t be translated in the same way into another.

William Norfleet
          @w-o-holmes

@radicallysurrendered

Lucky 🙂

Wish I could do that. It’s understandable that the switch would prove useful. I may use that. You see, I write fantasy and am in the process of creating several languages, if not twenty. This could really help. The actual happenings of people who speak more than one language and know what it’s like to switch automatically.

I want to learn French and some European languages as well.

radicallysurrendered
          @radicallysurrendered

@w-o-holmes
            <p style=”text-align: left;”>Wow, that’s amazing that you’re creating your own languages. The very idea is terrifying to me. Even if I tried, I’d end up with something way too similar to one of the languages I speak to be anything I actually invented. But it’s so cool that you’re doing that. And not just one, but several. If you ever want any help on interacting in different languages, I’d be glad to give you some tips.</p>

Selah
            @selah-chelyah

@radicallysurrendered

Welcome to SE! Love your tag. So where do you live, then, exactly? So cool!

I live in N Idaho, USA, and speak the grand total of one whole language…English. Lol! Except for all the other words and things I learn that comes with writing a lot of historical fiction, I guess. 🙂

Assistant Guildmaster, Meraki
            ~ I was created to create ~

radicallysurrendered
            @radicallysurrendered

@selah-chelyah

Thank you!!! I live in the northern part of the state of Chihuahua. It’s actually only a 2 or 3 hour drive to The US.

I can’t really imagine knowing one language. But in my culture, you can’t really survive without knowing at least two. Well you can, but then you can’t interact very well with anyone who doesn’t speak your language. I imagine that’s different in Idaho, where everyone speaks English anyways.

So you like historical fiction too! That’s awesome! I love learning about a completely different time and place through historical novels.

William Norfleet
              @w-o-holmes

@radicallysurrendered

That’d be great! I’ve yet to delve into these ranges of language speaking as of late, but when I do, I’d be grateful if you’d offer to assist. 🙂

radicallysurrendered
              @radicallysurrendered

@w-o-holmes

I’d be happy to help. 🙂

Josiah DeGraaf
                @josiah

Welcome @radicallysurrendered! That’s really cool that you know that many languages. 🙂 Who are some of your favorite authors?

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

radicallysurrendered
                @radicallysurrendered

@josiah

Thank you!

That’s a bit of a tough question, because I rarely get to read more than one or two books from the same author. But of the ones I have read more, some of my favorite authors that come to mind are Jane Austen, Eloise Jarvis McGraw, Francine Rivers, Karen Kingsbury, Dee Henderson, and Arthur Conan Doyle.

Hope McClellan
                  @hope-mcclellan

@radicallysurrendered

Hi there! I am a newbie here myself, but I wanted to say hello and welcome to Story Embers! I have to say I am very impressed with the number of languages you know. I know American Sign Language (and English, duh) but that’s it. I’ve never really tried any other spoken language. To know four… way to go! *applause*

So you said you like historical fiction, which is awesome! Historical fiction is so fun. I wouldn’t say I write historical fiction, rather “historically-based” fiction. Pretty much all of my works are set in the medieval period, and I am a total nerd about it. (seriously, who else reads about the different ways to preserve food in the Middle Ages, for fun??)

Do you like writing historical fiction? Or what genre would you say you like to write in?

Hope

There's always a story brewing.

Josiah DeGraaf
                    @josiah

@radicallysurrendered I love Jane Austen! I’ll be teaching Pride and Prejudice to my students in a month and always look forward to doing so. 🙂 I haven’t read many of the other authors, but I have admired what I’ve read of Rivers!

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest