Hello! Mom & Writer here: )

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello! Mom & Writer here: )

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bekah 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Bekah
    @bekah

Hi, everyone! A bit about me… I am a stay-at-home mom with two little kiddos living in nowhere California.

I have been writing about 10 years now, which means I have racked up several hundred rejections and, on my last novel, several full requests from agents. BUT…still no agent. I do want to be traditionally published btw.

I decided to join this site to find like-minded individuals. I am asking myself some bigger questions as I plot/plan my next idea. Why am I writing? What do I have to say through my work as a Christian? I’m writing in the sff genre, though I need to decide which of my ideas is strongest before I dive into that part.

Looking forward to hearing from others!

mom. writer. always needs coffee.

Bama Rose
    @bama-rose

@bekah

Hey there! Welcome to Story Embers! I’m Bama Rose.

Wow! Ten years. That’s awesome. Have you published anything yet? I’ve only been writing seriously for about a year, but I’ve loved writing silly stories since … forever. 😋

I’ve been looking into self-publishing, but would you recommend doing it traditionally?

Also, who are some of your favourite authors that you look up to?

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

Bekah
    @bekah

Hi, @bama-rose!

I am not published, but that’s my goal! I think it’s great if you are taking a serious look at writing. It really is a lot of fun and hard work : )

Well, I would say that it really is a personal choice to go self-published or traditional. I want to be traditionally published because I hope, (okay, dream!) of having a career. Both have plus and minus aspects. I’d just really love to go into a bookstore and see my work.

My only warnings would be:

1) Once you self-publish a book, as in anywhere on the internet, traditional publishers won’t take it.

2) Avoid vanity presses that charge thousands of dollars and don’t offer much else.

My absolute favorite is Jane Austen. Going classic!

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@bekah Hello!! Welcome to Story Embers! What is your current WIP (work in progress) about? 😀

"Where there are dreary streets come dance with me"

Bekah
    @bekah

Depends which one I’m working on : ) Which is my issue at the moment.

The newest WIP, I’m about 100 pages into the MS, is a historical fantasy. My premise is NOT tight on this project, but it is about two magician sisters living in 1911 San Francisco. At their graduation ball, one is attacked and her magic is stolen. When she fails to get into the medical apprenticeship (perhaps a a nurse), she becomes to desperate to find out what happened to her and how to get it back. The other is drawn into friendships and temptation to increase her magic so she can outshine her seemingly perfect older sister. One will risk everything to save both of them from being dragged into the darker sides of magic.

The other is my YA science fiction project I queried a couple of years ago. I got requests and great feedback, so I’m debating if I should revise and try again or leave it. I’ve left it for a while but I still keep coming back to it. It’s a fun time travel project.!

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@bekah Oh cool! 😀 Fantasy is always fun. Someday I wanna try a time travel story too. 😀 How long have you been working on the Fantasy/HisFic ?

Bama Rose
    @bama-rose

@bekah

Wow, that is a good point!! It would be so  much fun to see my book in a book store. That’s been my dream for years.

What did you mean about the vanity presses?

Also, your WIP sounds really interesting!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Bama Rose.

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@bekah Hello! Nice to meet you! 😃 I’ve never been to California, but I adore the ocean. Do you live near a beach? 🙂 Also, what are some of your favorite hobbies?

Bekah
    @bekah

@bama-rose Vanity Presses are little different from self-publishing, say on Kindle Direct, because they charge the author to do things editing or making cover or digital files for ebooks or printing the book. They don’t, as far as I’m aware, make money from selling the actual book, so what is their incentive for the author to sell copies? I have heard of people spending thousands of dollars not realizing the “publisher” was a vanity press and was not actually selling the book.

Thank you very much! What about you? Is there a forum to ask that? Still new here!

Bekah
    @bekah

@mariposa Hello!! Where are you from?   I’m a couple of hours from the beach, way over in the mountains, but I used to live near the beach : ).

I try to get outdoors as much as I can with my husband and kiddos. I also watercolor! I think I have too many hobbies lol : ) How about you?!

Bekah
    @bekah

@the-fledgling-artist What are you working on btw? Sorry! I had to reply and run : )

I’ve been working on it off and since last year, but I am really to try to make time and make a goal to finish the first draft and a couple of months.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@bekah Aw, that’s awesome you have a beach only a couple hours away! I don’t live that close to a beach, which is unfortunate because I adore it so. 😢 Maybe someday.

Ooh, you paint! I’ve never used watercolor, but I enjoy acrylics. What kind of things do you like to paint?

My favorite hobbies are drawing, painting (I was practically born an artist 😆), baking, and four-wheeling. 🙂

Bekah
    @bekah

The beach is lovely in summer! I’m enjoying the mountains and snow the past few years though.

I have tried acrylics and I’m awful lol. I usually watercolor flowers.

All VERY fun hobbies : )

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@bekah My WIP is a fantasy as well. It’s also trying to be a graphic novel but I’m still in the early developmental stages. I’m enjoying it so far. 😀

Bama Rose
    @bama-rose

@bekah

Whoa! I did not know that. Thanks for letting me know! I looked into Kindle Direct, but I wasn’t completely sure what it was all about. Also, I’m not sure how I would find an editor, so I just naturally slid into thinking I would self publish. But I might change my mind. I’m not sure yet.

My WIP takes place in a little town in Canada and is about a family and their experiences in fostering. Right now it’s in the rewrite and rewrite and rewrite/editing stage. 😜

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest