Hello! I'm RoseQueen

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello! I'm RoseQueen

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    RoseQueen
    @rosequeen

Hello! My name is T.K. Wilson. A homeschooled nerd of mixed denominational background but have finally found my home in the Anglican tradition (Sort of. It’s complicated.) I am currently working on a six novella modern fantasy series called “Tales from Avalon.” How I explain it is also complicated, but think if you combined Tolkien and Lewis with Disney and Del Toro you’d have it about right. I came to Story Embers after lurking, reading articles and then going, “heck with this”, and joined up.

I have notoriously carried my writing very close to the vest, but as I have been doing some soul searching I realized two things: God gave me these stories to share with others, and my fear of letting my stories go boiled down to being afraid of how people would treat me. I came to realize that I’m not going to make everyone happy, and if people don’t like my stories, that’s not on me.

Thank you all for reading and I’m looking forward to working with you!

"The things which are not..."

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
      @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@rosequeen

Hi and welcome! What genre is your favorite to write/read in? What else do you like to do besides write?

You can't live for long living for nothing- Hector Griffin

RoseQueen
      @rosequeen

@Emberynus the Dragonslayer,

I am by far a fan of fantasy, but I love lots of genres. History, historical fiction, biography, mystery, comics, sci-fi, comedy, I don’t just stick to one thing.

I have other hobbies besides writing, I crochet, sew, restore toys, and do photography. I’m not exceedingly good at the latter, but I’m trying!

Chelsea R.H.
        @seekjustice

@rosequeen

How are you? Whereabouts in the world are you from? I’m Australian and rather proud of it.

Your novel definitely sounds interesting? What’s your favourite thing about it?

Mahalo keia huiʻana

RoseQueen
        @rosequeen

@SeekJustice

Love your name by the way, it’s one of my favorite verses! I’m from the Great State of New York in the United States of America.

I think my favorite thing about my novels is the characters. I’ve always been a character-driven person. If the characters are shallow, I don’t follow through with a story, and I was soooo unsatisfied with a lot of characters in Christian fiction. They all seemed exactly the same, every single one. So I started taking inspiration from all kinds of sources, from history, from comics, to cartoons, to real people, and created characters that I wanted to read about, the ones I wanted to see when I was younger. Dynamic, interesting, funny, sad, bashful, gentle… who told me that I was safe. That I wasn’t alone. That’s what my ultimate goal is, to tell that other young girl, “I understand you. We understand you. We’re here.”

Chelsea R.H.
          @seekjustice

@rosequeen

Thanks! I really like the name as well (hence why I use it lol) and I feel like it encompasses my goal for my writing really well.

I completely agree with you on the characters. Characters have been one of my worst problems with Christian fiction as well and I love the steps you’ve taken to remedy that! Do you have a favourite character you’ve created so far?

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
          @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@rosequeen

I write alot of different genres too.

Cool! I love crocheting and photography as well.

Do you like to listen to music? If so, what kind?

You can't live for long living for nothing- Hector Griffin

The Writing Gremlin
          @banana-peacock-warrior

Hi, @rosequeen! Nice to meet you! Your series sounds great! You had me at fantasy. 😀 What is the premise of it?? (If you don’t mind telling, that is. 😉 )

I wish I could say I totes agree on the Christian storytelling characters thing but I’m so under-read that I probably can’t. Out of curiosity, though… what is it that you’re seeing in common with the characters in Christian fiction? (LOL that was so random. 🙂 )But character development is so much fun! Have you checked out the ‘Would Your Character Rather’ forum yet? So. Much. Fun. XD

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
            ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭94:19‬ ‭

RoseQueen
            @rosequeen

@banana-peacock-warrior, the premise is your standard “hidden world” fantasy, combined with modern fantasy. So it has the whimsy of Narnia and Disney, with the seriousness and danger of Tolkien, L’Engle, Del Toro and certain animes like Madoka Magica. I mean for the series to be fun, but to also communicate my vision of the world: that there are bad people out there, that we do have an Enemy, but he is beaten, and loosing worse all the time. But that tells you nothing about what they’re about! So it revolves around an ensemble cast of characters and their adventures in the World of Avalon and the World of Men. Characters include an Elvish Princess, a Warrior Dryad, a Half-Ogre with a Bad Attitude, and many more! There’s danger, romance, music, battle, sarcastic commentary…

The pattern I saw in Christian lit characters was… their problems were solved too easily. You can’t find a man? Your wife is sick? Your kids are rebelling? Prayer can fix all of that! It was like some kind of magical thinking, that said if you have enough faith, you can have anything you want! And I know from experience, that’s not true at all. They don’t have to wait for years and years, they get whatever they desire with a prayer. That’s not how life works. (Says the fantasy writer…) And also, there wasn’t nearly enough Christian Fantasy out there!

RoseQueen
              @rosequeen

@seekjustice

That’s like picking a favorite kid! But right now, my favorite characters are a brother sister pair, Fred Derf and Seraphina Magnusson. Why Fred has a different last name is very complicated, but suffice it to say that they’re very different, but they’d do anything for each other. Also, Seraphina’s a goth. I’m not a goth, but I love her so much.

The Writing Gremlin
                @banana-peacock-warrior

@rosequeen: Cool! Your story sounds great and so do your characters!!

Yeah I guess I can see that in Christian fiction (again, I’m under read in that sort of thing except for, like, my first amazing book that my friend got me just last Wednesday. So incredible; I love it!) But yeah. That’s awesome that you’re writing/righting that!

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
                  ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭94:19‬ ‭

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest