Hello, I'm new here :)

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello, I'm new here :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@ryowildfire

I will definitely have to check out that link!

I mostly write in contemporary fiction, but I’ve been thinking of trying my hand at fantasy or maybe historical fiction.

My favorite genre to read in? Everything. Anything. I love trying new genres. Right now I’m reading Fawkes by Nadine Brandes, and I’m obsessed with it! You should totally give it a try if you haven’t already. πŸ™‚

RyoWildfire
      @ryowildfire

@shadowwriter161

Fawkes looks like it blends Historical Fiction and Fantasy elements which sounds pretty cool. I also like the fact the author puts the main character in a dilemma of choices. I may have to check it out. πŸ™‚

Selah
      @selah-chelyah

@ryowildfire

Hello and welcome to Story Embers! I am mainly a his-fic writer with way too many WIP’s. πŸ™‚ Are you currently writing anything in particular? I am working on a book set around 9/11.

Fawkes is an awesome book, btw!

@ariella-newheart

Heyo!Β  *waves*

Assistant Guildmaster of the Awesome Meraki
      ~ Created to create ~

Ariella Newheart
      @ariella-newheart

@ryowildfire It’s nice to meet you, too. πŸ˜€

What kind of fantasy books have you written? Did you publish any of them yet?

Referring to my writing cheat sheet (everyone has one, not just Hiccup), the series follows the main character’s journey in the world of Reimira, where she must be a flame of hope in the darkness. Like any good fantasy series, it has its share of dragons, elves, and fairies, but there are also dryads, griffins, and a variety of other tribes and creatures. The overarching theme is hope, though some lesser themes include responsibility, humility, and courage.

I haven’t published any of my books yet, though I hope to in the next year or so. First I have to recruit more beta-readers, probably hire an editor, and research exactly how self-publishing works. πŸ˜›

Since we’re talking about magic and such, my current WIP is a bit different than my other series because it has something resembling a magic system. One day I was brainstorming ideas for a book and a question came to me: what would happen if a promise could never be broken? This idea gradually formed the basis for this book. The promises are not an “official” magic system, though. I’m not one for writing complicated magic, though reading about it is always interesting.

Your current WIP sounds cool. If you ever need a beta-reader, let me know!

@selah-chelyah Hello! *waves back enthusiastically* Funny you should mention me right now! I’ve been meaning to talk to you. I have a friend at church who has some magazines about 9/11. They’ve been out of print for a long time, but she’s going to let me read the ones she has. (I mentioned to her that I knew someone who was writing a book about 9/11, AKA, you πŸ˜› ) Would you like me to send pictures of anything interesting I find?

Fantasy writer, illustrator, citizen of Parimi Alca

*disappears into the shadows*

Selah
      @selah-chelyah

@ariella-newheart

Oh, woe, that would be absolutely amazing! I would love to look through anything relating to that, lol. Thanks for your thoughtfulness, thinking of me that way. πŸ™‚

~ Created to create ~

RyoWildfire
      @ryowildfire

@selah-chelyah

Nice to meet you!

I am currently working on an epic fantasy novel. Here is the WIP pitch.

β€œWhile searching for a special kind of energy stone used as a resource for her city, a woman finds an ancient seal on a dark prison which holds an evil force.

Thinking it is a new kind of energy stone, she accidentally breaks the seal with an ancient magical sword that belonged to her father, trapping herself in a realm that is in between worlds.

She must now find a way to communicate with her fiance to let him know that she is still alive and work with him to stop the remaining seals from breaking.”

I’m still in the incompleted novel stage, so the details may change making the pitch in need of update. πŸ™‚

What is your current WIP about? Does it follow a particular character around the events of 9/11?

@ariella-newheart

Promises that can’t be broken sounds like a cool start to a magic system. You could do some really interesting things with that concept.

Thanks for offering to be a Beta reader for my current WIP. I’ll keep that in mind. πŸ™‚

If you’re interested, I actually have a completed Novella that I wouldn’t mind sharing out if you want to read it. I submitted it to the Writers of the Future contest but didn’t place. It’s a story about a woman who has to infiltrate a Dragon’s Lair in order to harvest Dragon’s Blood (which is said to have healing properties) in order to save her dying daughter.

RyoWildfire
      @ryowildfire

@ariella-newheart

Correction. The story I mentioned in my last post is a Novelette, not a Novella. Sorry about that.

Selah
      @selah-chelyah

@ryowildfire

That sounds quite intriguing!

My current WIP I told you about is called Out of the Ashes, and it has several main characters. πŸ™‚ Two NY lawyers, a dressmaker, twin sisters, and a little girl named Giorgia. And a large, loyal-and-sometimes-very-funny Italian family, etc…

Have you named your book yet? I have several named, and a lot more that are not. XD

~ Created to create ~

Ariella Newheart
      @ariella-newheart

@selah-chelyah No problem! πŸ˜€

@ryowildfire I’d love to read it! Stories about dragons are my favorites.

RyoWildfire
      @ryowildfire

@selah-chelyah

Your WIP sounds pretty interesting. Do each of those main characters get a POV in your book?

I don’t have a name for my current WIP, just a place holder name. I’ll figure out that name at some point though.

RyoWildfire
      @ryowildfire

@ariella-newheart

Awesome. I use Google Docs pretty heavily for my writing (which is also nice for sharing so people can add comments or make suggestions on the work). What’s your email address and I can share out the story? The story is called Dragon’s Blood.

Selah
      @selah-chelyah

@ryowildfire

Yes, they do! I am writing it 3rd person omniscient. Ten chapters through. πŸ™‚ I paused on writing for a few months, though, in order to finish school first. Then I can dedicate more time to all my WIP’s. Tough to not write at all, but it’s good. XD You are welcome to read the first 5 chapters if you want to…that is all I have on Google Docs thus far.

~ Created to create ~

Ariella Newheart
      @ariella-newheart

@ryowildfire GoogleDocs is very useful! I’ll send you a public message with the email. πŸ™‚

RyoWildfire
      @ryowildfire

@selah-chelyah

Ahh, Ok. That makes sense. I usually write in third limited. I was imagining giving all those characters page time in third limited and that seemed a bit overwhelming. I’d be willing to read what you have so far if you want. πŸ™‚

@ariella-newheart

I agree. Google Docs is great. I’ll look for your message.

Selah
      @selah-chelyah

@ryowildfire

Yes, that makes sense! I typically go for omniscient POV, or else occasionally 1st person.

That’d be awesome! I made a brief questionnaire that I will send you as well, and if you have a chance you can fill it out after you read it. Just email me at needleworksbyselah@gmail.com and I’ll send you the access link. Don’t feel pressured to read it immediately, either…I am in no hurry. πŸ™‚

~ Created to create ~

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest