Hello from Israel!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello from Israel!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • Author

@eitan

Ya, living in the boreal forest is really fun and cool. The bush is all around us, since we live in a more remote place, and we do a ton of stuff outdoors. We are actually going ice-fishing today, though I don’t really want to since it’s cold and windy on the lake.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
    -JRR Tolkien

Eitan
    @eitan

Wow. It sounds so cool! Ice fishing!

We can only fish in the dead sea 😉

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
      @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@eitan

What kinds of fish do you mainly catch over there?

Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired.

Eitan
      @eitan

Ah… it was a joke 😀

Nothing lives in the dead sea. It’s too salty (scientifically speaking, it’s a brine, not a saline water).

Dakota
        @dakota

@eitan

Growing on a small farm is fun. We currently raise chickens and dairy goats. We used to have bees but they kept either swarming or getting killed by harsh winters or hive pests.

Sounds crowded over there!

Psalm 119:11
        Your word I have hidden in my heart,
        That I might not sin against You.

Elisha Starquill
        @elisha-starquill

@eitan

In fact we have contractions in Hebrew! For example, the correct form to say ”of you / yours / your” is the separate word shelcha, but in speech we usually contract it to the suffix -shcha. The correct way to say school is beyt sefer (which literally means ”book-house”, by the way), but usually we pronounce it Betsefer. However, unlike English, it’s not correct to write this way.

That’s so fascinating! I want to learn Hebrew one day, because it’s such a beautiful, rich language (though the alphabet is rather intimidating. xD) And it’s also interesting how school is ‘book house.’ I’d think that a library would be more of a book house. How do you say library?

We learned the contractions in school, and usually they make sense anyway (except of ”ain’t”. I still have no idea what does it mean), so they weren’t too hard to learn.

“Ain’t” is only used by more uneducated people. For example, they might say, “That ain’t true,” while the correct way is, “That isn’t true.”

(Also, yes, I’m one of few people who can’t stand chocolate. :P)

INFJ ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

Eitan
        @eitan

@dakota

Cool!

Hmm, my city isn designed with wide streets, and from almost every corner you can see the desert, so it isn’t very crowded. Tel Aviv however is very crowded (and one of my most hated places. I was once in New York city and didn’t like it either. Big cities aren’t nice).

@elisha-starquill

And it’s also interesting how school is ‘book house.’ I’d think that a library would be more of a book house. How do you say library?

Library is Sifria, which is a pretty new word, that was invented in the 20th century. The word for school however is much more older, and probably was in use in Jesus’ time. It referred to a Bible school (Bible = book, in the era’s context) for children, and was different from a Talmud house, where teenagers and adults learned the Jewish tradition – in the Rabbinic view, the tradition is necessary to understand the will of God and the OT itself is too vague, so from the age of 13, which is considered the age of adolescence, children learn the tradition rather than the Bible itself.

Probably that’s the reason the Pharisees didn’t recognized God when he performed miracles in front of them. We as Christians have to beware of this sin too. In fact, the TV show ”The Chosen” addresses this topic in a in a very wonderful way.

Dakota
          @dakota

@eitan Yeah. I don’t like big cities either. Rather live in the country.

Psalm 119:11
          Your word I have hidden in my heart,
          That I might not sin against You.

WolverineRM
          @wolverinerm

@eitan

Hey!! 👋🏻 So glad to have you here!! My name’s Kassie; I’m not super active on the forums, but I’m here every once in a while. 😉

I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU’RE FROM ISRAEL!! That’s so amazing!! I am a tiny bit obsessed with Israel; I want to go visit so bad. ☺️ And I love anything that has to do with Christianity’s Jewish roots. My family and I celebrate Passover and Hanukkah, and Hanukkah is literally one of my favorite holidays. 🥰

Your story is so amazing! To be honest, I struggled with doubting my salvation too. I think a lot of Christians do. But if you can recognize the change in your heart, don’t listen to the doubts. A Bible passage that really helped me was Romans 8.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan is an incredible read that should be available in Hebrew…one of my favorites. 😁

Also out of loyalty to my Southern heritage, I must say, yes, ain’t means isn’t, but it definitely doesn’t mean you’re uneducated. 😉 Everybody I know says it. It’s just informal.

I live kind of in the desert and I love it. ☺️ Does cactus grow in Israel? What is the desert like there?

We used to have a dog named Lady! She was pretty dumb too 😝 Now we have a golden retriever named Thunder. He’s a really good dog.

Keep trying with your story!! You’ll get it figured out. 😉 I write contemporary fiction, and some historical fiction short stories.

What do you like to do for fun? I love running and horseback riding, although with quarantine I can’t go to my friend’s house to ride. 😁

So nice to meet you!!

I ask where he got these crazy ideas anyway
            He just smiles and says, it’s the way that I was raised

Elisha Starquill
            @elisha-starquill

@eitan

Library is Sifria, which is a pretty new word, that was invented in the 20th century. The word for school however is much more older, and probably was in use in Jesus’ time. It referred to a Bible school (Bible = book, in the era’s context) for children, and was different from a Talmud house, where teenagers and adults learned the Jewish tradition – in the Rabbinic view, the tradition is necessary to understand the will of God and the OT itself is too vague, so from the age of 13, which is considered the age of adolescence, children learn the tradition rather than the Bible itself.

That is super interesting! I love learning about Jewish history. It’s so rich and everything is full of deep meaning. And that also explains a lot of parts in the Gospels.

In fact, the TV show ”The Chosen” addresses this topic in a in a very wonderful way.

Oh, yes! I’ve been watching that show and enjoying the insights it provides into the daily lives of the Jewish people in Jesus’ time.

INFJ ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

J. B. Stanhope
            @jbstanhope

We learned the contractions in school, and usually they make sense anyway (except of ”ain’t”. I still have no idea what does it mean), so they weren’t too hard to learn.

“Ain’t” is only used by more uneducated people. For example, they might say, “That ain’t true,” while the correct way is, “That isn’t true.”

I must say, yes, ain’t means isn’t, but it definitely doesn’t mean you’re uneducated.

At one point, I remember being interested to learn that ain’t stood for am not. I thought it may have become stigmatized because people used it in situations where they didn’t mean “am not.”

Just looking it up now, though, it looks like the history might be a little more complicated. Merriam-Webster dictionary says it originally came from a contraction of are not, but the Wikipedia article on the word says it may have come from a combination of the historical contractions of “am not” (am’nt or an’t), “are not” (an’t), and “have not” (han’t).

Merriam-Webster says that “ain’t” can mean “am not,” “is not,” “are not,” or “has not,” or “have not.”

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by J. B. Stanhope. Reason: fix punctuation mistake
              Eitan
              @eitan

@wolverinerm

Thank you so much! You warmed my heart☺

A Bible passage that really helped me was Romans 8.
                Thank you! Verses 5-6 really addressed my problem:

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan is an incredible read that should be available in Hebrew…one of my favorites.

Oh, I know it! I didn’t find it in my City’s library… But I watched the film of the Rogue Valley Fellowship. It was very encouraging.

Also out of loyalty to my Southern heritage, I must say, yes, ain’t means isn’t, but it definitely doesn’t mean you’re uneducated.
                Aha! The south is much more Christian in the USA, right? Many ”modern and enlightened” people link between faith and obedience to Christ and foolishness, lack of education and basically everything they don’t want to see in themselves. Maybe that explains how ”ain’t” began to be associated with those things…

I live kind of in the desert and I love it.   Does cactus grow in Israel? What is the desert like there?
                Do you live in Texas?

Cactus isn’t native to Israel, so it’s not growing in the wilderness. The desert in Israel is separated to 4 general sections:

1) Semi-arid area, which’s the most populated (by a few Israeli cities, including mine, and many Bedouin villages). It has hot, dry summers, and mild, pretty dry winters (average of 46f, with some days of 5-6f) – we have rains, but not that much, with 1-2 serious rains a year. The area has round, short hills, and a lot of valleys and plains. The loess soil is stony and hard, but it can be used to grow grain and vines. The flora is made of weeds and shrubs (and some desert trees here and there), and in the winter the desert is suddenly very green. Most of the big animals in the area were hunted to extinction, but we still have hyenas, some gazelles, and eagles.

2) haNegev (the southern desert) is a half of Israel. It has more extreme climate, with freezing winters, hot summers and almost no rains. It has many mountains and canyons, and it’s populated by a few Israeli villages. The area’s flora is made of a few shrubs and weeds, and desert trees in some places. Big animals like wolves, wild goats, wild donkeys, vultures and desert cats live in the area.

3) haArava is a great valley south to the dead sea, all the way to the red sea. This is the hottest, driest area in Israel, and hardly see rain even in good years (prophet Jeremiah used it’s trees as a symbol for the wicked in one of his prophecies). The flora is made of bushes and trees that grow on groundwater, and the soil is very stony and salty. The area is inhabited by Israeli villages that grow extremely tasty dates and vegetables. Antelopes, African wild donkeys, ostriches, desert cats and wolves live in the area.

4) The Judean desert is a rain shadow east to the Judean mountains (the ancient heartland of the Israelites – Jerusalem, Hebron and Bethlehem are there, and David hided there from Saul). It’s made of steep cliffs and canyons (between Jerusalem and the dead sea there’s a fall of 1226 yards), and isn’t inhabited at all (even though there are some Israeli villages near the dead sea). Vultures, wolves, hyenas, wild goats and some leopards live in the desert.

Oh. That was long.

We used to have a dog named Lady! She was pretty dumb too. Now we have a golden retriever named Thunder. He’s a really good dog.
                Lol! Thunder is the dog in you profile image?

Keep trying with your story!! You’ll get it figured out.
                Thank you! I putted it aside after praying. I’ll return to it when the time will come.

What do you like to do for fun?
                Your hobbies are really cool!

I like reading, drawing, writing, listening to sermons, study the Bible (I’m doing a course named ”Introduction to the Hebrew Bible” – it’s online, free and very useful) and being an FTC captain (right now I’m off job of course 😉 ).

@elisha-starquill

I love learning about Jewish history. It’s so rich and everything is full of deep meaning. And that also explains a lot of parts in the Gospels.
                History is very interesting 😀

And is also very useful to understand the Bible, you’re definitely right.

Merriam-Webster says that “ain’t” can mean “am not,” “is not,” “are not,” or “has not,” or “have not.”
                Thank you for helping!

@eitan

Duh!  I should have known that no fish lived in the DEAD SEA!! LOL 😆 😆

Where was my brain??? 😆

Sorry! 🙂

Has the website I recommended been helpful?

@eitan

Also it’s so breathtaking to hear you talk about the country over there and the places where events of the Bible happened! It’s just beautiful!!

Chalice
                @chalice

@eitan

המצב אכן לא כזה בסדר. לא נורא, אלוהים משתמש בקורונה למטרה טובה.

Yes! I believe it! (I don’t know how to say that in Hebrew. 😛 )

Wow! it’s so cool! God will help you in that!

🙂 תודה רבה! עכשיו אני רוצה לעשות את זה.

You mentioned before that you like to draw. I absolutely love drawing! What kind of things do you like to draw?

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
                “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest