Hello from Israel!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello from Israel!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Dakota
    @dakota

@eitan

Hope it’s okay if I join the conversation!

Hi and welcome!

It’s so cool that you live in Israel!! *echoes @emberynus-the-dragonslayer ‘s sentimens.* I โ™ฅ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฑ

German is cool! Itโ€™s like English on steroids!

It kinda is! Lol I took German as my language in school but I’m afraid I’ve gotten a little out of practice! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m twenty.

I’m from Kentucky too! (Emberynus and I are actually sisters)

It’s great that you like to evangelize!!! ๐Ÿ˜

Hiking is a lot of fun. Wheat was your favorite place to hike?

Mostly I write poetry but I have written a few short stories, am currently working in two longer works and have a head full of ideas for others! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Other than writing, I enjoy horseback-riding, swimming, crocheting, cooking/baking, gardening and shooting sports.

Psalm 119:11
    Your word I have hidden in my heart,
    That I might not sin against You.

Eitan
    @eitan

Wow. It’s so heart-warming to see how you all love Israel and Hebrew ๐Ÿ˜€

You are 3000 times more Zionist than some American Jews.

@chalice

ืฉืœื•ื ืื™ืชืŸ, ื•ื‘ืจื•ืš ื”ื‘ื!! ืื ื™ ื‘ืช ื›ืžื” ืฉืžื•ื ื” ืขืฉืจื” ื•ืื ื™ ื’ืจ ื‘ืžื™ื–ื•ืจื™. ืžื” ืฉืœื•ืžืš?

ืฉืœื•ื ืฆ’ืืœื™ืก, ื ืขื™ื ืžืื•ื“ ืœืคื’ื•ืฉ ืื•ืชืš! ืื ื™ ืžืจื’ื™ืฉ ืžืฆื•ื™ืŸ! ืชื•ื“ื” ืจื‘ื”! ืžื” ืฉืœื•ืžืš?

It’s so cool that you know Hebrew! Have you learned it for reading the Bible?

And I’m sure that you speak Russian at least at my level. I can only understand, when I try to speak, I forget words…

@claire-h

Thank you very much for the recomendings! I will check it once.

Have you ever read The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis? They are pretty well known.

Oh yes! I read it when I was 7 (and didn’t get the message in any way), and re-read some of the books later, after I was born again (I re-read The lion, the witch and the wardrobe at the day of atonement ;)).

Paul Washer and Voddie Baucham are two of my favorite preachers. Paul Washer started a missionary society called HeartCry. Voddie Baucham is a pastor in Zambia, Africa. You can find both of their sermons on Sermon Audio and YouTube. I hope they are an encouragement to you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you very much for the help!!

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer

And, as Iโ€™m discovering thanks to my older sister, lots of edible plants.

Yum! In the desert we have some tea bushes and a bush with salty leaves (creatively called in Hebrew ”Salty”).

I donโ€™t think itโ€™s the same thing. . . hereโ€™s their website.ย https://www.foi.org/

Wow, it’s great to see it! Thank you!

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

Eitan
      @eitan

@dakota

Oh, sorry, I didn’t see you!

Hope itโ€™s okay if I join the conversation!

Hi and welcome!

Of course! And thank you very much, nice to meet you!

It kinda is! Lol I took German as my language in school but Iโ€™m afraid Iโ€™ve gotten a little out of practice!

You learn German in school? Cool! We learn English and Arabic (very-very basic Arabic. Cool language, in fact).

Itโ€™s great that you like to evangelize!!!

Thank you so much! (Though I’m not so good at that…)

Hiking is a lot of fun. Wheat was your favorite place to hike?

All my hikes were in the area of the dead sea and the southern desert. It has a… dead, stony beauty. And my family and I hiked a lot in all Israel, and we also have school trips to different beautiful places.

Other than writing, I enjoy horseback-riding, swimming, crocheting, cooking/baking, gardening and shooting sports.

Horses! Cool! Do you live in a farm orย  a village?

@eitan

Your testimony is amazing! And about how you said you are sometimes doubtful about when you were saved, I don’t think it matters that you don’t know when exactly it happened. I have a friend who is definitely a believer, and she doesn’t know exactly when she decided to live for God. So I think it’s more a matter to the heart than actually having a certain day that you were saved on.

Well, here are some Christian fiction books that I know about or have read: The Lord of the Rings series and The Hobbit- by JRR Tolkien, The Chronicles of Narnia- by C S Lewis, It’s A Jungle Out There and Life Is A Jungle- by Ron Snell (they are about a missionary kid’s growing up years, so not fiction, but still good), and God’s Smuggler- by Brother Andrew. (also not fiction, but an amazing book about how God used the life of one man to spread the Word after WW2. I loved it!)

That’s cool that you got to see snow on your school trip. ๐Ÿ™‚ ย And pretty wise not to eat the yellow snow. We joke about that a lot here. ๐Ÿ˜€ ย Our winter lasts with tons of snow from November to March, so we sorta bundle up half the year to stay warm.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
        -JRR Tolkien

Eitan
        @eitan

@olivia

Thank you so much!

JRR Tolkien

Tolkien is a brilliant author, but… wasn’t he Catholic, not Christian? Anyway, I’ll check all the books you’ve recommended and I haven’t yet read. Thank you very much!

Our winter lasts with tons of snow from November to March, so we sorta bundle up half the year to stay warm.

Oh. Well, I guess that you love snow, because otherwise you would live in hate ๐Ÿ˜‰

From what part of Canada do you come?

@eitan

I’m not sure if Tolkien was a catholic or not, but going by his books that I mentioned, I would have thought he was a Christian. In his books he doesn’t talk about God a ton, but he put little things in every now and then. It’s almost like the book as a whole points to God, and not just some parts where he talks about God. But ya, I don’t know it he was a catholic or not, though I always thought he was a Christian. I hope you can find the books, and that you enjoy them! My personal favourite out of all of those is God’s Smuggler, but the others are good too. Though The Lord of the Rings books are sorta long and a little tedious to read since he has so many scenes of them just journeying the countryside.

“Oh. Well, I guess that you love snow, because otherwise you would live in hate.”

So true!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜› ย I really like snow and winter, which I guess is good, considering where I live! XP I live in the north-west part of Canada, where there are lots of moose and lots of trees. We live in the strip of Boreal forest, so we have never-ending amounts of trees and rocks, along with lakes.

-JRR Tolkien

Elisha Starquill
          @elisha-starquill

@eitan – Hi, and welcome! It’s so cool that you live in Israel. God willing, I’m going to visit it this summer and I’m so excited! (Random question, if you don’t mind: what was learning contractions in English like for you? I’ve always wondered, because I think English is the only language with them.)

(tagging @olivia so she can see this) – Also, as a Catholic myself, I’m sorry you’ve had bad experiences with Catholics and Catholicism in general. Unfortunately, since the Catholic Church is so ancient compared to other Christian denominations, they’ve also had a lot more time to make mistakes, as every man-made organization will ultimately do. And that comes with a lot of misunderstandings that I will hopefully be able to clear up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Firstly, Catholics are definitely Christians. The core of Christianity is the belief that Jesus is the son of God, that He died for our sins, and that He rose again on the third day. Catholics believe that, just like any other type of Christian. And yes, Tolkien was a Catholic, and so was C.S. Lewis and a lot of other great Christians throughout the ages. Secondly, the pope is not, by any means, infallible or perfect. He is a normal man just like the rest of us and absolutely does sin, sometimes horribly like during the Crusades when a lot of bad popes basically declared themselves as gods and took advantage of less educated people.

But everything that’s not God, even churches, have both shortcomings and positive attributes. There are a lot of good, beautiful, Biblical things about being Catholic that I won’t get into (I’ve rambled on long enough as it is. xD)

INFJ โžณ Trinstamentalist โžณ Thalassophile โžณ Chocolate Hater โžณ Daughter of God

@elisha-starquill

Thanks for tagging me on that. I don’t know a whole lot about Catholics, so I thought they were Christians, but because of my lack of knowledge on the subject I didn’t want to address the subject. Which is why I just said I didn’t know if Tolkien was Catholic or not. ๐Ÿ˜› xP ย But ya, I don’t know much about all the different denominations of the church, so thanks again. ๐Ÿ™‚

-JRR Tolkien

Eitan
          @eitan

@olivia

Boreal forest? It’s so cool!

@elisha-starquill

Hi, and welcome! Itโ€™s so cool that you live in Israel

Hello, thank you!

what was learning contractions in English like for you? Iโ€™ve always wondered, because I think English is the only language with them.

Sorry, I didn’t understand the question… And nowhere I find the meaning of ”learning contractions”… Can you ask it in other words? ๐Ÿ™‚

And that comes with a lot of misunderstandings that I will hopefully be able to clear up.

Thank you very much! In fact I have a good friend who’s Catholic (from NJ).

Firstly, Catholics are definitely Christians.

Thank you for clearing it! I just heard somewhere that in the USA the term ”Christian” refers only to Protestants, so I distinguished between the two. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

so was C.S. Lewis

No, he was Protestant, according to Wikipedia at least:

”Lewis returned to Anglicanism at the age of 32”.

Even though it’s true that Tolkien was the one who influenced him to do so (he was quite disappointed that Lewis didn’t became Catholic).

You didn’t convince me to convert (I’m fully open to a debate somewhere, not here of course), but I’m very thankful for clearing those areas! Thank you very much! ๐Ÿ˜€

(Now I see your signature. Hater of chocolate!? ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Eitan.

Claire
            @claire-h

@eitan You’re correct. Tolkien was a Catholic and C.S. Lewis was Protestant. That didn’t stop them from being close friends though! ๐Ÿ™‚ Even though I think Lewis did try to get Tolkien to leave Catholicism.

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
              it just blooms.

Elisha Starquill
              @elisha-starquill

@olivia – My pleasure! Glad I could be of service. ๐Ÿ™‚

@eitan

Sorry, I didnโ€™t understand the questionโ€ฆ And nowhere I find the meaning of โ€learning contractionsโ€โ€ฆ Can you ask it in other words? ๐Ÿ™‚

Contractions are a way to shorten words, like “didn’t” instead of “did not” or “I’m” instead of “I am”. I think English is the only language with them (I could be wrong) so I was just wondering if you found them difficult, or strange, or just another part of learning a new language. It’s a weird question, I know. ๐Ÿ˜› I’m a bit of a language nerd.

You didnโ€™t convince me to convert (Iโ€™m fully open to a debate somewhere, not here of course), but Iโ€™m very thankful for clearing those areas! Thank you very much! ๐Ÿ˜€

No pressure to convert at all! It’s perfectly wonderful to worship God in any church that speaks to you personally. I’m glad I could be of some service! ๐Ÿ˜€

And sorry for my mistake! You and @claire-h are both right. C.S Lewis was not Catholic. Thanks for correcting me. ๐Ÿ™‚

INFJ โžณ Trinstamentalist โžณ Thalassophile โžณ Chocolate Hater โžณ Daughter of God

Eitan
              @eitan

@elisha-starquill

Iโ€™m a bit of a language nerd.

Me too! And thank you for clearing the question!

In fact we have contractions in Hebrew! For example, the correct form to say ”of you / yours / your” is the separate word shelcha, but in speech we usually contract it to the suffixย -shcha. The correct way to say school isย beyt sefer (which literally means ”book-house”, by the way), but usually we pronounce it Betsefer. However, unlike English, it’s not correct to write this way.

We learned the contractions in school, and usually they make sense anyway (except of ”ain’t”. I still have no idea what does it mean), so they weren’t too hard to learn.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Eitan.

Dakota
                @dakota

@eitan

It’s okay. I just joined this thread. ๐Ÿ™‚

In our public school system, we can pick what language we what to learn in school as our second language. I was home-schooled, so I could still pick whatever second language I wanted, as though as we could afford a curriculum for it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m not good at evangelizing either. : (

I live on a small farm in the country. We don’t own horses (unfortunately) but I occasionally have been able to ride other people’s horses.

Are there many horses over there in Israel?

Psalm 119:11
                Your word I have hidden in my heart,
                That I might not sin against You.

Chalice
                @chalice

@eitan

ืฉืœื•ื ืฆโ€™ืืœื™ืก, ื ืขื™ื ืžืื•ื“ ืœืคื’ื•ืฉ ืื•ืชืš! ืื ื™ ืžืจื’ื™ืฉ ืžืฆื•ื™ืŸ! ืชื•ื“ื” ืจื‘ื”! ืžื” ืฉืœื•ืžืš?

!ื ืขื™ื ืœืคื’ื•ืฉ ื’ื ืื•ืชืš! ื”ื›ืœ ื‘ืกื“ืจ …. ื•ื‘ื›ืŸ, ืื•ืœื™ ืœื ื”ื›ืœ ื‘ืกื“ืจ, ืื‘ืœ ืื ื™ ื‘ืกื“ืจ. ๐Ÿ™‚ ืชื•ื“ื”

Itโ€™s so cool that you know Hebrew! Have you learned it for reading the Bible?

Yes!! My siblings and I have read part of the Torah in our Hebrew class, but I think it would be so cool to be able to read the whole Bible in Hebrew!

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
                โ€œCreativity takes courageโ€ -Henri Matisse

Eitan
                @eitan

@chalice

ื”ืžืฆื‘ ืื›ืŸ ืœื ื›ื–ื” ื‘ืกื“ืจ. ืœื ื ื•ืจื, ืืœื•ื”ื™ื ืžืฉืชืžืฉ ื‘ืงื•ืจื•ื ื” ืœืžื˜ืจื” ื˜ื•ื‘ื”.

Wow! it’s so cool! God will help you in that! ๐Ÿ˜€

@dakota

In our public school system, we can pick what language we what to learn in school as our second language. I was home-schooled, so I could still pick whatever second language I wanted, as though as we could afford a curriculum for it.

Cool! We have the choice to learn Russian literature, but it’s only for speakers.

I live on a small farm in the country.

It’s sounds amazing!

Are there many horses over there in Israel?

Not that much. Israel is very urban – Israel’s area is 4.5 times smaller than Kentucky’s, and large area in it are desert mountains, but the Israeli population is 2.5 times bigger than Kentucky’s, if counting the Palestinians. There are a few special horse farms, though, and in my area live many Bedouins, that own horses, donkeys, sheep and camels.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest