Hello from Israel!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello from Israel!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Eitan
    @eitan

Hello, Shalom and Zdravstvuite!

I’m Eitan and I’m very excited to join this forum (and generally to discover that whole community of  Christian writers). I love mostly low fantasy, but sometimes also high fantasy, space fantasy and sci fi. My favorite books are probably Harry Potter, ASOIAF, Tolkiens Legendariumm, and some nice Israeli books, but to be honest, I don’t read that much… Problem, I know.

I’ve written a few short stories (most of them before I was born again, so I’m not quite proud of them), and the last 3 weeks I’m struggling with writing a fantasy novel. I went through 3-4 ideas, and every time I feel that I found a good idea, I realize how it’s… full of holes more than Emmental cheese is.

I’m Israeli, and live the area of the dead sea. My native language is Hebrew, and I also speak English to somewhat extent (we learn it from 3rd grade in school), and understand Russian but can’t really speak it. I have 2 little siblings and a dumb dog named Lady.

My family, and most of my friends, are secular, so I write mostly to this audience. I was born again last August. I’m not a member of any church yet, but I’ll join one when I reach the age of 18.

I’m somewhat between an INTJ and ENTJ. Besides writing, I love drawing, some reading, worldbuilding, robotics (I’m an FTC team captain), hiking (oh, freezing in a winter night in the desert!), and I have a deep passion for theology debates with anyone who is willing to. My problem is that too many times I fall into a pure intellectual debate, and not really share the Gospel… I do try to evangelize as much as I can, but as a very logical person I find it quite hard to convince emotional people.

I have already said I speak too much?

Feel free to ask me anything! And again, I’m really happy to be a part of this forum!

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

@eitan

I am also a Christian, and as I read what you wrote about yourself, I wondered how did you become a Christian? I know it might be a tender subject, so you don’t have to reply, but I was just curious.

That’s really cool that you know so many languages! I only know English and a few sentences of Ojibwe, but I want to learn German someday, though I’m not sure when that will happen, if ever.

I’m not super good at writing myself, but I am finding out that I like to write short stories about my life.  Just for people I know, if they were in the story, and then I give them the story so they can have it to remember the time by. When I do write, I like to write fiction and contemporary. And when I’m not writing (which is often), I love to read. I do it all the time, especially now with this whole Covid 19 thing going on. Not that I have much else to do. 😛 🙂

Oh, where are my manners? I live in Canada, and I love cold and winter. Always have, always will. 🙂

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
      -JRR Tolkien

Oh, Happy Easter!!!!!!! We watched a play on the life of Jesus, and it was pretty amazing. It’s so crazy to think what Jesus did for us, even though there was so much pain in it for him. Sometimes I forget or don’t think about why I decided to live for God, but when Easter comes, I’m always astounded and amazed once again at what he did.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
      -JRR Tolkien

Claire
      @claire-h

@eitan Happy Resurrection Sunday!

I’m new to this forum as well and I’m already enjoying meeting new people. It’s amazing that we have the technology to communicate with people all around the world! I live in Missouri, USA. 🙂

What a blessing that you became a believer recently! Praise God.

I really love studying theology too. Do you have anything specific that you enjoy learning about? God’s Word is so rich!

Right now I’m studying Koine Greek. I’m hoping to be able to read the New Testament in its original language. Eventually I want to learn Hebrew as well but it looks so complicated! That’s so neat that it’s your native language.

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
        it just blooms.

Eitan
        @eitan

@olivia

how did you become a Christian? I know it might be a tender subject, so you don’t have to reply, but I was just curious.

Oh, it’s all fine. I have no problem to share it. It’s a… strange and very long story.

Just a one note – in Hebrew we have two names for Christianity. The common name is Nazarethism (Natzrut, in Hebrew), and it’s associated with Catholic cathedrals, idolatry, pogroms and crusades. Messianism or Messianic Judaism (Meshichiut) is the name that Jewish believers use, because it has much better (and ”Jewish”) associations, and because it translates the term Christianity accurately. This term is used only to describe Jewish believers, while any other Christians are called Nazarethists.

I started to be interested in Nazarethism (but not in Jesus) when I was 12, decided that ”I’m a Nazarethist”, putted an icon of the crucifiction as my phone’s screensaver, and crossed myself before opening my locker. But… my heart wasn’t changed, and more than I cared about Jesus I wanted to be a part of a ”cool religion”.

I started to read the NT (and God’s words entered my head from one ear and quitted from the other), and when I got to Matthew 16:17-19, I decided that it’s an ultimate proof for Catholicism – and since I entered the Nazarethism just for being a part of a ”cool” religion (and what is cooler than medieval liturgy?), I happily decided that when I grow up I will be a Catholic and move to Rome or wherever.

My ”spiritual life” was to read some ”examine yourself before Sunday mass!” quizzes before sleep (only if I wasn’t to lazy), telling myself ”Oh, I’m such a good and holy guy!” and murmur an auto-prayer I made for myself (by time, I became to lazy to do even that).

Of course I had some doubts about His holiness – the Pope can’t be mistaken, but Popes commanded the crusades, said that God replaced the people of Israel, soled indulgences, and said some very stupid things about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (Francis called the corrupted Palestinian dictator ”an angel of peace”). But I was a good Catholic and didn’t let facts to confuse me.

Then, in the summer of 2019, I found a YouTube channel, run by a Catholic priest from Rome – is there any better? So I started following him, until one day I saw that he posted a caricature from the 19th century, showing a brave crusader fighting small, ugly man with a huge nose, in an expensive coat, and wrote below – ”I’ll give 5 shekels to anyone who will guess who is that man”. I started to debate with him and quote from the Bible. He responded in many childish insults, antisemitic lies (”You killed Jesus! You all are the children of devil!”), quoted ”saints” from the medieval, ignored my quotes from the Bible, and was deeply insulted for the fact I wrote ”Paul”, and not ”SAINT Paul”.

This event triggered me, and all of my old doubts about His holiness returned, and as I thought about it more and more, and talked about it with some (secular) friends, I understood that the Catholic church is a huge lie. But I wasn’t born again yet. I still called myself a ”Nazarethist”, just a protestant one, and God didn’t really had any place in my life.

In late August 2019, my family and I were at a vacation. Having a lot of time, and separated from my computer and usual hobbies, I decided to study the Bible, listen to some Messianic teachings and so on. I don’t really know if there I was saved, because I don’t remember any prayer of repentance, but I do know that I suddenly had a passion for God’s word, and wanted to obey him. I stopped calling myself a Nazarethist, and called myself a Messianic Jew instead. I don’t think I can really point on the day I was saved in (what causes me heavy doubts about my salvation sometimes 🙁 ), but if I wasn’t saved in that vacation, it was definitely what led to my salvation.

Well, that is my testimony 😀

I want to learn German someday, though I’m not sure when that will happen, if ever

German is cool! It’s like English on steroids!

And when I’m not writing (which is often), I love to read.
          Hmm… Can you please recommend a few good Christian fiction books? Known and famous books (it’s more likely that they were translated to Hebrew).

I love cold and winter.

Snow! Cool! I mean, freezing cold! In my town we have a light snow once in a 7 years, but this year specifically my school trip was to mount Hermon, and there were 2 meters of snow. It was great – and could’ve been even better if I didn’t forget my thick, warm gloves down in the buss… So I didn’t take place in a snowball fight because I love my fingers and 10 is a very beautiful number for them, but I ate snow (only white snow – not yellow).

In the desert, winters are usually cool, with 3-4 weeks every year that are freezing, but thankfully we don’t have much rain. 1-2 times in a year we have hail.

Oh, Happy Easter!!!!!!! We watched a play on the life of Jesus

Happy Easter to you too! I celebrated my Passover with Messianic sermons on YouTube… (Well, we had a Passover meal, but it is’t really count).

@claire-h

Happy Resurrection Sunday!

Happy Resurrection Sunday to you too!

I live in Missouri, USA 🙂

Nice! How is Missoury?

What a blessing that you became a believer recently! Praise God.

Thank you so much!

(To be honest – I’m not that familiar with the ”Christian lexicon”, since I don’t talk with Christians that much…)

I really love studying theology too. Do you have anything specific that you enjoy learning about?

Hmm… It depends on the debate I have. Last week I talked with an atheist friend that blamed God for humanity’s sin, because God gave us free will, so I had to study that area. Two weeks ago I had a debate with orthodox friends about the Messianic prophecies in the Bible. I don’t think I’ll be able to study theology seriously alone…

God’s Word is so rich!

Definitely. I started an online course – ”Introduction to the Hebrew Bible” – now I learn how to read biblical poetry.

Eventually I want to learn Hebrew as well but it looks so complicated!

Hebrew grammar is pretty easy. Unlike you English speakers, we don’t have 6 forms for past, two of them called present! 😉

(Even though Hebrew writing is terrible. I will not go in depth to not discourage your ambition 😉 )

That’s so neat that it’s your native language.

Yeah, it’s very useful, and Biblical Hebrew is very beautiful. Even though sometimes, the English text is much clearer. Some books, like Job and some of the Psalms, are written in a very high dialect so you can hardly understand anything 😀

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Eitan.
          • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Eitan.

Naiya Dyani
          @naiya-dyani

@eitan Wow, that’s an amazing story. And don’t let the fact that you can’t pinpoint the day you were saved scare you. I can’t either.

Hebrew grammar is pretty easy. Unlike you English speakers, we don’t have 6 forms for past, two of them called present! 😉 (Even though Hebrew writing is terrible. I will not go in depth to not discourage your ambition 😉 )

Ooh. . . then I might have to look into it sometime. Writing systems only scare me so much (hence the fact that I was not scared from Japanese; their pronunciation is simple, and that’s enough for me 😛 ). As long as I can make sense from the grammar and pronunciation, I’m probably alright. Don’t know if I could pronounce Hebrew well, though. . .

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
            @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@eitan

Happy Resurrection  Sunday!!!

It’s AMAZING to meet someone on here from Israel!!!*sends love to all you over there* My father’s step-mom is Jewish.

I’m from Kentucky (very boring I know 😉 )

Your testimony is so beautiful!!! I love it! Praise God!

Wow, that’s an amazing story. And don’t let the fact that you can’t pinpoint the day you were saved scare you. I can’t either.

I agree 100% with @naiya-dyani to tell you the truth. I can’t pinpoint the day either! 🙂 I struggled for years. Growing up in a Christian home, being a Christian was just normal to me when I was little, it was just the right thing to do. I didn’t really understand what it meant when I first decided that I wanted to get saved. It took me going through a lot of struggles to realize the full weight of what it meant and to really truly put my trust in Christ.

What kind of dog do you have?

Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired.

@eitan

Oh, and also. Friends of Israel would be a good website to go to learn more about faith and stuff. My mom is subscribed to their magezine. 🙂

Claire
            @claire-h

@eitan

Wow, the story of how God saved you is amazing! Thank you for sharing. It’s really encouraging to hear how God is working in others’ lives. I don’t have a specific date that I can point to as the day I was saved either. Everyone has a different story. 🙂

Also, I wanted to mention that your English is pretty good! I can’t imagine trying to learn English as a second language… I’m sure it would be very complicated. 😀

Missouri is hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter… We get snow occasionally, but not very often. Recently it’s been raining a lot.

That’s great that you are learning more about the Hebrew Bible! Hebrew sounds interesting! Yes, I’m sure it’s not as complicated as English. 😀

Hm, I’m trying to think of some good Christian fiction that is more well known… I really can’t think of any that might have been translated into Hebrew. 🙁 Do you read any English books?

Also, do you ever listen to sermons? If so, I would love to share some of my favorite pastors to listen to. They really help me grow in my faith.

it just blooms.

Eitan
              @eitan

Hmm, what age are you all? I’m 14.

@naiya-dyani

Wow, that’s an amazing story. And don’t let the fact that you can’t pinpoint the day you were saved scare you. I can’t either.

Thank you so much!

Don’t know if I could pronounce Hebrew well, though. . .

That’s okay, pronunciation isn’t the most important thing when learning new language.

Happy Resurrection  Sunday!!!

Happy Resurrection Sunday to you too! (Even though it’s already Monday :))

It’s AMAZING to meet someone on here from Israel!!!*sends love to all you over there* My father’s step-mom is Jewish.

Thank you so much!

I’m interested, why do you love that much Israel?

I’m from Kentucky (very boring I know :))

Why boring? Just like you have never been in Israel, I have never been in Kentucky. How is it?

Your testimony is so beautiful!!! I love it! Praise God!

Thank you so much!

It took me going through a lot of struggles to realize the full weight of what it meant and to really truly put my trust in Christ.

What kinds of struggles do believers from Christian communities face? If you feel comfortable to tell, of course 🙂

What kind of dog do you have?

English setter. Do you have a dog?

Friends of Israel would be a good website to go to learn more about faith and stuff. My mom is subscribed to their magezine.

Cool! Are you talking about the CFI? I checked their website, I really admire them and their love for Israel, but it seems that they refer mostly to Christian audience, not to Israelis who want to learn about Christ. Evangelizing is illegal in Israel for non-citizens (and isn’t very easy for citizens)…

@claire

Wow, the story of how God saved you is amazing!

Thank you so much!

Also, I wanted to mention that your English is pretty good! I can’t imagine trying to learn English as a second language… I’m sure it would be very complicated.

Thank you very much! It’s not easy to remember  grammar rules and lots of words, so it’s very helpful to use English a lot – for example, watch videos or listen to music (or texting with Americans on the internet ;)).

Do you read any English books?

I can. Thank you for helping!

Also, do you ever listen to sermons? If so, I would love to share some of my favorite pastors to listen to. They really help me grow in my faith.

Yes, thank you so much!

Missouri and Kentucky are in the Bible belt of America, right? It sounds great to live in such area! 😀

@eitan

I’m sixteen.

Well I love Israel because God loves Israel! 🙂 And so many Christians are turning their backs on Israel. There so much hate directed towards you and it isn’t right. I just want to stand with you all against all the hate being thrown at you right now.  🙂

I guess Kentucky is just boring to me because I’ve always lived here. And having always had a longing for travel and never wanting to stay at home, it’s just gotten kinda, commonplace. Kentucky where I live: really hilly, wet in spring, dry and hot in summer, coldish winters with not much snow. . . My favorite season is fall. Though I’m beginning to wish winter lasted longer. LOL But we have lots of pretty flowers and birds here. And, as I’m discovering thanks to my older sister, lots of edible plants.

What kinds of struggles do believers from Christian communities face? Of course I’m okay with sharing. Well for me, it was mostly personal struggles. I wasn’t serious enough about my faith and so my life didn’t really change. I was still bad, got in trouble, didn’t do what I was told. I found myself doing things that I knew I shouldn’t and wondering why everything wasn’t changing.

I struggled because I felt like I’d never be as good a Christian as my mom or grandpa, like I just wasn’t meant to be saved because I wasn’t excited about my faith like they were.

But then, I realized that my faith was important and that it was a personal thing between me and God. It wasn’t like I could get to heaven by tacking my name onto my parents faith. I had to have faith on my own. I had to believe for myself and not have my parents believe for me.

I realized that my life wasn’t just going to magically change just like that. That it would take time as I yielded my thoughts and desires to Christ and grew in him. I had to let him change me instead of just continuing to live for what I wanted.

That’s hard for a kid. Kids tend to want everything fast and easy. But I had to learn that not everything happens fast and easy. Finally, instead of giving up in despair and saying I just wasn’t meant to be a Christian, I started trying with all my heart to live for God, read his word and trust in him to save me instead of trying to be a ‘good enough Christian’. So yeah. That’s that. 🙂

I don’t think it’s the same thing. . . here’s their website. https://www.foi.org/

I hope the link works.

Claire
                @claire-h

@eitan I’m seventeen.

Some Christian fiction recommendations:

The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson (he’s a singer/songwriter too -you should check out his music!)

N.D. Wilson is a Christian author who writes really cool books. My fourteen year old brother loves them.

Those aren’t as well known, but you could probably find them as ebooks.

Have you ever read The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis? They are pretty well known.

Missouri and Kentucky are in the Bible belt of America, right? It sounds great to live in such area! 😀

Every part of the world has its challenges. I can relate to @emberynus-the-dragonslayer. My testimony is very similar. Growing up in a Christian family is a huge blessing, but I still had to work through my own faith personally.

Paul Washer and Voddie Baucham are two of my favorite preachers. Paul Washer started a missionary society called HeartCry. Voddie Baucham is a pastor in Zambia, Africa. You can find both of their sermons on Sermon Audio and YouTube. I hope they are an encouragement to you! 🙂

it just blooms.

Claire
                  @claire-h

I have no clue why it made the smiley face so big. Lol.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Claire.

it just blooms.

@claire-h

LOL I love it when it does that with the smiley faces!!

From what I’ve heard of Paul Washer he’s pretty good. 🙂

Chalice
                    @chalice

שלום איתן, וברוך הבא!! אני בת כמה שמונה עשרה ואני גר במיזורי. מה שלומך

(My Hebrew isn’t the best, so please forgive any mispellings. 😛 )

It’s so neat to meet someone from Israel! (My family has always loved Israel and the Hebrew language. 🙂 ) And that’s cool that you understand Russian. I’ve been learning Russian recently, but I can’t say I’ve gotten very far. 😛

What kind of stories do you like to tell?

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
                    “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest