fb

Hello from Flyover Country…

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello from Flyover Country…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Bethany
    @ireneadler

…aka the Dakotas.

Hi! I’ve followed Kingdom Pen and now Story Embers for quite a while but finally decided to join. I’ve been writing short stories since I was pretty young, and my brother inspired me to get back into writing again recently. I’m a homeschool graduate and I work for Motion University (an online Christian film school). Over the summer I interned in New York for Lamplighter Ministries.

Some of my side interests include politics, music, and researching for stories that will never be written.

I am (obviously) a huge fan of the classic Sherlock Holmes, and I also love anything by Douglas Bond, Tolkien, Lewis, and a variety of other authors in a variety of genres.

TTFN!
    Irene Adler

PS – my real name is Bethany, in case anyone wanted to know.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Bethany.

Disclaimer: INFJ-A. It's nothing personal.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ireneadler Hi and welcome to Story Ember’s forum! I’m Evelyn. πŸ™‚

I’m a huge Sherlock fan too! …though I must say that Irene was not my favorite character… at all really. xD

Have you read all Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock novels and short stories? Which one is your favorite?

Bethany
    @ireneadler

Thanks Evelyn! Haha, mine neither really, but one of the only female characters, so… πŸ˜› (the name was my brother’s suggestion since I couldn’t pick!)

I’ve read most of the stories, yes, and it’s hard to pick a favorite but maybe the “Blue Carbuncle” and the “Second Stain.”

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ireneadler Neat! I like those short stories too. What is your favorite full-length Sherlock novel? I really Valley of Fear and Hound of the Baskervilles.Β Also, have you watched BBC ‘s Sherlock TV show?? I love it!

You mentioned you work for a online Christian film school. What do you do? Do you teach?

And what genres and types of things do you like to write?

Bethany
    @ireneadler

@evelyn Ooh, I really like the Hound of the BaskervillesΒ too! That’s probably my favorite of the full length novels. I actually haven’t watched the show, but I’ve definitely heard a lot of good about it from a lot of people! Maybe I’ll check it out sometime. πŸ˜‰

I’m actually the administrative assistant for the film school (it’s run by two couples from MN and OK, so I’m able to work from home), which means I help with managing social media, email communications, and behind-the-scenes video editing. I actually attended the school last fall, so it’s been exciting actually working for them now!

I am better at writing short stories than novels, although I’m working on expanding my horizons in that area. I really like writing historical fiction, and also some fantasy, although with fantasy I usually end up doing a lot of character and world building and never get around to writing the story!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ireneadler I had a job handling email communications this summer and as well as video editing! It was a lot of fun. πŸ™‚

I tried writing historical fiction once, but it fell flat. xD I mainly stick with fantasy and futuristic dystopian now.

What era and time period do you like writing in most?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Also, are you planning to join a guild?

Bethany
    @ireneadler

That’s awesome! It definitely is a lot of fun.

I haven’t written any historical fiction for a little while now, I’ve been meaning to pick it back up, but I really like 1700s and 1800s, mostly set in America. That, and Bible days/early church! Oh, that’s cool that you like writing dystopian! I haven’t met too many people who like dystopian as a genre… I don’t usually care for sci-fi or futuristic stuff, but dystopian is the one exception to that! I haven’t written any yet, though.

I filled out the guild application, so I’m hoping to be active in one of them! They all look pretty cool, so I don’t really have a preference yet. Any suggestions? πŸ˜€

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ireneadler Parimi Alca all the way!!!!

#notbiasedatall πŸ˜‰

You like writing stories set in early Bible times? Let me summon one of my friends who has similar tastes… *sends a Parimian shoulder messenger dragon to fetch her* (All the more reason to join Parimi Alca! πŸ˜‰ )

@esjohnson
    Come say hello… πŸ™‚

And why not meet some other friends too?

@cassie-hartfinh
    Β @steward-of-the-penΒ @ariella-newheart

Bethany
    @ireneadler

Haha, nice!! Thanks!! Can’t wait to learn some more and interact with y’all. πŸ˜€

Cassie Hartfinh
    @cassie-hartfinh

@evelyn @ireneadler *sprints in with shoulder dragon flying overhead* You called? *takes puff of inhaler and coughs* Man, that smog in the industrial biome seems to be getting worse. Anyways, hi!! *waves erratically* Is there a newcomer in these parts? *frantically reads posts* Oh, looks like there is! Hello there! I’m Cassie Hartfinh, a brand-spanking-new adult who loves Jesus and anything to do with stories! Also chocolate. Let’s be real, folks. Chocolate is amaze. Can I get an amen? *raises hand*

Anyways, looks like the subject is Sherlock Holmes! Unfortunately, I’ve never read the books, and I’ve only seen a few episodes of the ones where Doctor Strange is Sherlock, but I HAVE seen the old Disney movie, “The Great Mouse Detective”!! That’s one of my faves. So exciting. I used to want to be Basil’s assistant, but now I’ve struck out on my own in terms of adventure-seeking.

So, closer to my cup of tea, what kinds of stories have you written, Bethany? (Lovely name, by the way.) I myself have written countless short stories of varying genres and lengths, plus a whole lotta poetry, and four-but-soon-to-be-five novels!! (Published the first this past summer, too!) I love anything that has to do with action and adventure, and most recently I have begun dabbling in a bit of fantasy for the first time. We’ll see how this goes, but I am prepared for any challenge!! *ignites lightsaber and smolders at self in mirror, then sneezes*

Ahyek nahd feltin'or rempak.
    I'm not promising anything.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@cassie-hartfinh Amen! Chocolate is amazing! xD

And be careful dear with your lightsaber… you might burn the walls again!! And I can only find so many posters at the store to cover up the evidence. πŸ˜‰

Cassie Hartfinh
    @cassie-hartfinh

@evelyn I AM careful! See? *flings lightsaber* *gasp* Oh dear…

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@cassie-hartfinh

*gasps and ducks*

Well… I guess this explains why I was surprised to read that you’re an adult. πŸ˜‰

*looks at the wall and sighs*

Better go dig up some more posters…

Cassie Hartfinh
    @cassie-hartfinh

@evelyn I am an adult. However, I was blessed with a heart of eternal childhood.

Hope you can find some good Doctor Who posters too! *digs under bed* Hey, look, I found my sonic screwdriver!! *brushes off dust, presses button, and blows up bedroom door* Oops…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest