fb

Hello, fellow writers!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello, fellow writers!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@rose-colored-fancy

(I love your username and signature!)

Thank you!! Have you read the Wingfeather Saga, then? (Because a Thwap is a creature from it)

Yes, I do have a WIP. I haven’t titled it, and I’m tweaking/refining the outline and plot, but the very rough premise is:

Every three years, the three dragon tribes send one of their own–each choosing their contestants by different methods–into an arena to fight to the death, in order to decide who will win the ___–(I’m still brainstorming a cool name, XD) an object shrouded in mystery and coveted by all the tribes–for another three years… 

Now graduating the two year training course required for all dragons in her tribe, Rilyn (still changing her name, too) is now old enough, and therefore eligible, to be chosen for the arena, as is her friend, Konyar. She only hopes that neither of their names will be drawn from the pool.  

Days before the drawing, she accidentally causes an accident that cripples a young dragon named Sirian for life. His only comfort is that he’s now ineligible for the arena.

Or so he thinks.

His name is drawn, and Rilyn is unsure whether it would be right for him to fight or not, but she knows one thing is certain: Sirian’s name wasn’t drawn by accident. Someone’s out to murder him…but why? 

Around the same time, hatchlings and young dragons are vanishing without a trace, and nobody seems to be able to figure out how. 

Suspicion is rising, tension is taunt, and fear is spiking to a degree that Rilyn’s tribe has never known before…

Eeshhh, that was pretty bad. I have a really hard time writing premises–especially without revealing too much. I want to get readers hooked, but I don’t want to say too much! There’s one problem I’ve been having with it: I showed it to another person, and she said, “Why don’t the three tribes just flip a coin for the ‘mystery shrouded object’ or something?” There’s a reason for that, and it’s explained in my book, but when I tried to put it in the premise, it sounded to explanation-y and long. (And it had too many spoilers.) Do you think I should try to fix that, or just leave it as it is? (Critique for the whole thing is MORE than welcome, btw)

Yes, I meant Krita. Sorry for not being clear 😛 That sounds really cool! Thanks!

That’s awesome! And yeah… it can be confusing. Like if you saw just the world “live” on a billboard, would it being saying, “Live, like a livestream on Youtube,” or would it being saying, “Live without regrets”?

Cool! I’ll keep that in mind because I’m trying to improve my drawing skills 😛

Wow!! That’s a super great answer!! I love it! As for the counter-question.. Hmm. I think I would learn how to play an instrument REALLY well. It takes so much time and practice, so how nice would it be to be an instant master?

Really nice to meet you, too!

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum.
    ~Author Unknown

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

Hi Wingiby!

Oh, Sahar sounds like such a great character! It is strange, but I usually end up liking my villains and side characters more than the main ones. Does that happen with you?

Yes! It happens all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I really love Liorah, but sometimes the side characters threaten to take over XD. I’m actually afraid they have a bit since I got some feedback (from a friend) that Liorah is one of the least developed characters and that she’s actually a bit boring, compared to the side characters. I’m trying to make her more interesting, but it’s pretty tricky😂

Who’s your favorite character in your story?

So cool! Do you still live there? I was born in Illinois, but then we moved to Georgia, and now we’re in North Carolina — hopefully for a good while yet!

No, I live in Europe now😊 That’s why SE will probably show me as posting at 3 am in the morning😂

Is there still room in the Character Castle? Or is it full?

Oh, I actually listened to the YA version of “Unbroken” pretty recently (on audiobook)! It was very good, but it was definitely not glossed over. There was quite a bit of violence (obviously XD). I still recommend it though!

I also need to check out your book-list up there, bc I haven’t read a lot of them.

That’s awesome! What books do you recommend?

Butting in on other conversation: Corinthians 13:1-3 I love those verses too!! And its so cool that you can think in different languages.

Thank you!😊 People ask me what language I think in a lot😂. I actually think in different languages depending on the subject. I think about writing in English, but I think of my friends in whatever language I speak with them.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mischievous-thwapling

Hi!

No, I actually haven’t read it, though I’ve heard a lot about it. Do you recommend it? I just really love the way ‘Thwap’ sounds😂

I love your plot! It sounds really interesting! Your summary is quite good, though I do have a few suggestions since you asked for critique😊 I really love writing summaries, and it’s something I’ve done quite a bit of research on, so here are my opinions. (I totally get what you mean by telling too much or too little, I struggle with that too😂)

Do you think I should try to fix that, or just leave it as it is?

I think you explain plenty! The purpose of a ‘back cover’ summary is only to get your reader interested, not explain the entire plot and world. My favorite reply to questions of that sort is to look deeply mysterious and say: “All mysteries shall be revealed in time.” Or just, “You’ll find out in the book.” If you have an explanation in the book, it’s fine.

(Disclaimer, these are just my opinions! Feel free to completely ignore them and throw them out the window if I didn’t understand your plot correctly. I’m going to try to explain what works for me.)

I don’t know if you’re familiar with “Save the Cat!” Beats, so I’m going to put in a short explanation.

Here’s the basic formula for writing a summary. (If you go look at mine, you’ll see how I used them, and you can see them in most summaries)

Paragraph 1: Setup (Status quo in the world.), the flawed hero (The main character, mentioning one of their faults.) and Catalyst (Event that happens to the MC, starting the whole story)

Paragraph 2: Break into 2 (The main character’s decision/reaction to the catalyst. I don’t mean their emotional reaction, but what they do about the catalyst.)

Paragraph 3: Theme stated. (Okay, I’m terrible at the theme, so I can’t help you here😂) Midpoint hint/ All is lost hint ending in a cliffhanger. (Drop in a little hint about a plot twist or a disaster. If you have multiple, pick the biggest or your favorite.)

So, here’s how I would edit your summary: (My notes are in bold)

Every three years, the three dragon tribes send one of their own into an arena to fight to the death, in order to decide who will win the ___, an object shrouded in mystery and coveted by all the tribes. (Setup)

Now graduating the training course required for all dragons in her tribe, Rilyn is eligible to be chosen for the arena, as is her friend, Konyar. She only hopes that neither of their names will be drawn from the pool. (I think you should mention one of Rilyn’s major flaws. (Flawed Hero))

Days before the drawing, she is involved in an accident. A young dragon named Sirian is crippled for life, his only comfort is that he’s ineligible for the arena. (Catalyst)

Or so he thinks. (Good!)

His name is drawn, and one thing is certain: It wasn’t a coincidence. With his injury, he will meet certain death. (Remind of stakes) Someone’s out to murder him…but why?  (Good!)

(Add Rilyn’s decision, and remember to mention Konyar, so he doesn’t get lost.)

Hatchlings and young dragons are vanishing without a trace, and nobody knows who will be next. (This might be a hint at a twist, if so, it’s good, otherwise, add that too.)

Suspicion is rising, tension is taut, and fear is spiking to a degree that Rilyn’s tribe has never known before. (Good cliffhanger!)

As you can see, I cut a few sentences and rephrased a few things.

Here are the sentences I cut and why:

–each choosing their contestants by different methods– This isn’t directly necessary to understand the basic plot, and it makes the sentence quite long, so you can leave it out.

–for another three years. You already mentioned it’s every three years, so you don’t have to mention it again.

two-year This isn’t needed to understand the character or the plot, so you can take it out.

now old enough, and therefore This is a bit repetitive, and not directly needed.

she accidentally causes an accident ‘Was involved in an accident’ is clearer, (I think, I’m not quite sure about this one.)

Rilyn is unsure whether it would be right for him to fight or not, (I think you can assume that it wouldn’t be right for him to fight. If there’s a character/worldbuilding aspect connected to this, you can mention it in the book, but it’s not needed in the summary.)

Around the same time. (It’s natural to assume it’s all happening at the same time, so I don’t think you need to mention this.)

and nobody seems to be able to figure out how. (If they’re disappearing without a trace, it’s obvious that nobody is able to figure out how, so you don’t need this.)

I hope this was of some help! Sorry if I info dumped a little.😅 The summary is already good, I just hope my opinions help you a bit.

That’s awesome! And yeah… it can be confusing. Like if you saw just the world “live” on a billboard, would it being saying, “Live, like a livestream on Youtube,” or would it being saying, “Live without regrets”?

IKR? My favorite example is ‘read’ (Present tense) and ‘read’ (Past tense).

Wow!! That’s a super great answer!! I love it! As for the counter-question.. Hmm. I think I would learn how to play an instrument REALLY well. It takes so much time and practice, so how nice would it be to be an instant master?

Thank you! That’s a really cool choice! What instrument would you like to know?

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

I have the same problem! My main characters always seem too dry and boring! Maybe its because I’m not afraid to go a little wild with the side characters, but I’m not with the main. So that’s why I’m tempted to just grab one of my side characters and throw out the main one….Do you have any tips?

Who’s your favorite character in your story?

Oh man, gee… I’m still in the developmental stages, so I’m not entirely sure. Right now, I like Wylo Reni, my villain….he’s a brilliant, melancholy fellow.  I also like one girl character from my second WIP, but I don’t have a name for her yet. She’s pretty cool though. She is the only girl active in the actual sabotage (the others have important work on the sidelines), so that makes her stand out. She’s the sniper of the group, and covers the boys while they blow things up. She — ok, you probably don’t want me to type out her entire backstory, lol. You’ve mentioned several characters, but which one is your fav, and why? And tell me as much about them as you want, ha ha.

No, I live in Europe now  That’s why SE will probably show me as posting at 3 am in the morning

LOL 😛 That’s awesome, though. Europe is full of old buildings and rich history and stuff. 😀

Is there still room in the Character Castle? Or is it full?

I am pretty sure there is. Our limit is 10 people (you can have two characters in at once though if you want) at a time, otherwise it gets too confusing. Right now we’re at eight people or something.

Oh, you listened to Unbroken?! I’m so glad its not glossed over; that just ruins the story! Thanks for telling me! And ha ha, yeah, it is a war story, after all 😛

That’s awesome! What books do you recommend?

Oh man, well,  let me see….

The Wingfeather Saga. It’s a four book series with an additional Wingfeather Tales and Creaturepedia. Funny, heartbreaking, and beautiful. Quirky characters (my fav is Peet the Sock Man, known for wearing socks up to his elbows), bizarre creatures, and Fangs of Dang.  “The stories are true.” Go read it right now.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskerville. They are really good! Mystery and some dry humor combined with stunning intelligence and ingenuity.

Where the Red Fern Grows. Prepare to cry, and prepare to want to throw the book on the wall and stomp on it. But read it; it is a wonderful book. And if you love dogs, even bigger bonus.

The Endless Steppe. Its an autobiography about growing up as a refugee in Siberia, and is wonderfully vivid and sweet. You can really see through the author’s innocent eyes what being transported and living in a bleak, endless world is like — and how you can make the best of it.

That is so cool (about your thinking in different languages)! It’s hard for me to wrap my head around it, lol.

Oh, and btw, how long have you been doing Krita? I just got it, and its a little confusing. Do you have any tips? And what electronic do you use for it? Thanks! I’ve never done digital art before, so its a bit of a learning curve. 😉

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

I have the same problem! My main characters always seem too dry and boring! Maybe its because I’m not afraid to go a little wild with the side characters, but I’m not with the main. So that’s why I’m tempted to just grab one of my side characters and throw out the main one….Do you have any tips?

I totally understand that! Hmm, if you can throw out the main character, you might want to do some checking if they’re really supposed to be the main character. If you can take that character out and the entire story doesn’t collapse, I think you should, or if you really want to keep them, you should check if they have enough agency. That’s something I often struggle with!

I’ve never done anything like that, so I can’t help you much besides that!

Oh man, gee… I’m still in the developmental stages, so I’m not entirely sure. Right now, I like Wylo Reni, my villain….he’s a brilliant, melancholy fellow.

I can’t wait to find out more about him. He’s your character in character castle, right? He sounds really interesting! I always struggle with villains a bit😂 My main villain, Hakan, is honestly terrifying though.😂 He scares the living daylights out of me, and out of Liorah, so I suppose that’s good enough😂

I also like one girl character from my second WIP, but I don’t have a name for her yet. She’s pretty cool though. She is the only girl active in the actual sabotage (the others have important work on the sidelines), so that makes her stand out. She’s the sniper of the group, and covers the boys while they blow things up. She — ok, you probably don’t want me to type out her entire backstory, lol.

She sounds awesome!

You’ve mentioned several characters, but which one is your fav, and why? And tell me as much about them as you want, ha ha.

Hmm, I’d have to say Liorah is my favorite! A close second is another character whose name I can’t tell because it’s spoilers XD. He’s very gray, and an almost-villain. He’s not good, but he’s interesting😂

I really like Acyn and Sahar too! They’re Liorah’s best friends. Sahar is really cute, she’s optimistic, extroverted, bubbly, and perpetually cheerful. She’s also very musical and loves to dance, sing, and act. I mentioned her knife-throwing skills before XD.

Acyn is the total opposite, he’s pessimistic, introverted, quiet, and has a tendency to think everything’s going to fail miserably. He’s also really smart and reads a LOT.

The one thing they have in common is their reaction whenever Liorah suggests something impulsive: “Not again! Don’t you remember what happened last time?” XD (They’re usually right LOL) They’re both awesome characters!

The Wingfeather Saga. It’s a four book series with an additional Wingfeather Tales and Creaturepedia. Funny, heartbreaking, and beautiful. Quirky characters (my fav is Peet the Sock Man, known for wearing socks up to his elbows), bizarre creatures, and Fangs of Dang.  “The stories are true.” Go read it right now.

Ooh, I’ve heard about it! I’m planning to read them sometime.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskerville. They are really good! Mystery and some dry humor combined with stunning intelligence and ingenuity.

I love these! I’ve read all the stories at least twice, and I’m actually reading them again.

Where the Red Fern Grows. Prepare to cry, and prepare to want to throw the book on the wall and stomp on it. But read it; it is a wonderful book. And if you love dogs, even bigger bonus.

Oh, goodness! I did read this one, some time ago. I’m still recovering 😂XD. I did cry😂

The Endless Steppe. Its an autobiography about growing up as a refugee in Siberia, and is wonderfully vivid and sweet. You can really see through the author’s innocent eyes what being transported and living in a bleak, endless world is like — and how you can make the best of it.

That sounds really awesome! I’ve never heard about it, but I’ll go check it out!

Oh, and btw, how long have you been doing Krita? I just got it, and its a little confusing. Do you have any tips? And what electronic do you use for it? Thanks! I’ve never done digital art before, so its a bit of a learning curve.

I’ve been working with Krita for about… a year, I think? If you want to learn how to use it, there are some awesome video tutorials online! I suggest learning how the layers work. I think this one may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YQz3Zudw7A

For electronics, I just use an old PC XD but I do use a drawing tablet. (A Wacom Intous, I think a small) You can use any drawing tablet, as long as it’s pressure-sensitive. Drawing with a mouse is nearly impossible XD

Hope this helps! I can totally understand that it’s hard getting started 😉

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@rose-colored-fancy

Oh my word, all of that was so helpful!! Thank you!!!!! I shall apply your wonderful edits 🙂  And that formula is SO nice to know.

No, I actually haven’t read it, though I’ve heard a lot about it. Do you recommend it? I just really love the way ‘Thwap’ sounds

YYYEEESSSS!!!! I totally recommend it. And I know! I do, too XD

My favorite example is ‘read’ (Present tense) and ‘read’ (Past tense).

I know! One of my siblings who’s learning to read finds it extremely confusing, haha. (I remember stressing about that when I was learning how to read as well.)

What instrument would you like to know?

Hmmm… Perhaps the guitar or piano? What instrument would you choose?

Random question: If you were forced to listen to a song for ten hours, what song would you choose?

~Author Unknown

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mischievous-thwapling

Hi!

Oh my word, all of that was so helpful!! Thank you!!!!! I shall apply your wonderful edits    And that formula is SO nice to know.

You’re so welcome! I’m glad I could help! I really adore that formula, since that means I can write a passable summary in half an hour or less. I generally recommend the “Save the Cat! Writes a novel” book and method. It’s completely changed plotting for me. Do you discovery-write or plot? What method/structure do you use?

Hmmm… Perhaps the guitar or piano? What instrument would you choose?

That’s a cool answer! I love those instruments! Hmm, I think I’d like to learn something from the lute family (Mandolin/mandola/oud) or a cello. I think those instruments are awesome! Do you already play an instrument?

Random question: If you were forced to listen to a song for ten hours, what song would you choose?

Ooh! Good question! I think maybe “Ceasefire” from For King& Country. I don’t know if you mean ten consecutive hours or not, but still Ceasefire. I may have actually listened to it for ten hours already… XD And yours? What’s your favorite music genre, group, and song?

I love your new quote!

I can’t wait to have Liorah interact with Konyar and Rilyn some more over at Character Castle!

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@rose-colored-fancy

Uhh… I’ll be honest: I don’t plot extensively. I just make numbered points, then write down would needs to/I want to happen on each one, roughly making sure I have this sequence: characters/setting, conflict/problem, climax/resolution.

Cool!! I’m learning the guitar, and I enjoy messing around on my sibling’s piano. HBU?

Yes, ten hours in a row, all at one time. XD Umm.. I’d probably listen to a classical song that’s long, so I wouldn’t be hearing the same parts as much. Uhh.. IDK. I don’t really have a fav song. Is Ceasefire is your fav song?

Thanks!

Same!! Can’t wait to see where this goes. 🙂

~Author Unknown

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mischievous-thwapling

Uhh… I’ll be honest: I don’t plot extensively. I just make numbered points, then write down would needs to/I want to happen on each one, roughly making sure I have this sequence: characters/setting, conflict/problem, climax/resolution

That’s cool! If your method works for you, that’s amazing! I need a pretty extensive outline since I’ll otherwise just write my characters making small talk for six chapters. (Unfortunately, I mean that literally. That has happened.)  I don’t enjoy outlining, I just force myself to do it. XD

Cool!! I’m learning the guitar, and I enjoy messing around on my sibling’s piano. HBU?

That’s awesome! I love both those instruments, though I can’t play either. I’ve been playing the Celtic harp for six years and I really enjoy it. I love playing South-American music, it’s really fun.

Yes, ten hours in a row, all at one time. XD Umm.. I’d probably listen to a classical song that’s long, so I wouldn’t be hearing the same parts as much. Uhh.. IDK. I don’t really have a fav song. Is Ceasefire is your fav song?’

Oof, that’s a lot XD. Probably still Ceasefire though. XD. Ceasefire is one of my favorites, though I do switch between favorites a lot, like every two weeks.

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@rose-colored-fancy

Sorry for late response!! AHH!!

I totally get what you mean! For some reason, I immensely enjoy my characters interactions, even if it’s just small talk like you said.

I’ve been playing the Celtic harp for six years and I really enjoy it. I love playing South-American music, it’s really fun.

That’s AWESOME!

Ceasefire is one of my favorites, though I do switch between favorites a lot, like every two weeks.

Saaammmee.

Btw, on the Character Caste 2.0 thread, I did answer you on the PTSD thing (sorry for being late, again), and I just wanted to say that I will help you as much as I can! IDC if we talk about it here or on the Character Caste 2.0 forum. 🙂

What’s your favorite scene you’ve written in your book so far?

~Author Unknown

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mischievous-thwapling

Sorry for late response!! AHH!!

Absolutely no problem!

Btw, on the Character Caste 2.0 thread, I did answer you on the PTSD thing (sorry for being late, again), and I just wanted to say that I will help you as much as I can! IDC if we talk about it here or on the Character Caste 2.0 forum.

Thank you so, so much! The things I have trouble researching:

I understand that flashbacks are probably quite different from person to person and time to time, but how long do they last, as a rough estimate?

Are flashbacks always triggered, or do they just happen without warning sometimes?

When a flashback does start, what should the character/ the characters around them do? As in, does it help when someone distracts the character, or talks to them, or something else?

If there are any questions you’d rather not answer for any reason, please just ignore them. Thank you so much for helping!

What’s your favorite scene you’ve written in your book so far?

Great question! Hmm, for my first book, I’m pretty proud of the climactic battle! I detested writing it, but I’m proud of it now it’s done! It’s quite exciting, and I worked really hard on it.

My favorite scene to write was an interrogation scene, which was really interesting and fun to write since my POV character was constantly not quite lying. A literal quote (No spoilers XD):

“Were you a spy?”
    “You can call it that.”
    “What did you do?”
    “Whatever I was told to.”
    The Regent was becoming impatient.
    “Answer me.” His voice wasn’t raised, but anger colored it.
    “I did.”

The entire thing was like that, the character was constantly answering really vaguely, to the point of being ridiculous. I wrote the entire 2000 word chapter in one day, and I’m still pretty proud of it.

How about you? What was your favorite scene, and what’s the one you’re proudest of?

I love your quote!

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@rose-colored-fancy

(I’m going to refer to my two sisters with PTSD as Sister A and Sister B for their privacy and protection.)

I understand that flashbacks are probably quite different from person to person and time to time, but how long do they last, as a rough estimate?

Hmm…Good question. While I’m sure the experience is a bit different with every person, I’d say most of the time flashbacks last a few minutes. However, sometimes, with both sisters, they’ll seem to be affected for a whole afternoon/into the evening, but the standard seems to be a few minutes. (Sorry for the speech, haha)

Are flashbacks always triggered, or do they just happen without warning sometimes?

I’d say that 95% of the time they’re triggered. It’s very rare for my sisters to have a flashback without a trigger.

When a flashback does start, what should the character/ the characters around them do? As in, does it help when someone distracts the character, or talks to them, or something else?

I’m no expert, and I’m only telling you my experience, but what I’ve learned from living with two people who have PTSD is this: Most of the time a hug, kind word, and gentle reminder of what’s true is needed. (Especially with Sister A) But still, it’s kinda hard for me to explain…. Is it Liorah who has PTSD? Can you kinda tell me what caused it, without too many spoilers?

Thank you so much for helping!

No problem!! 😀

That’s AWESOME! Climactic battles are so exciting…though you’re right about them being hard to write sometimes, lol.

Oh my word, that’s hilarious! I love interrogation scenes! Wow, in one day? That’s fantastic! I’m impressed, lol.

The scene I’m proudest of? Hm… Well, I can’t say this without spoilers, but let’s just I’m proudest of this scene where Rilyn and Konyar had this huge disagreement, and Rilyn left (not only because of the argument but because of other spoiler reasons). But when she comes back for help/to make up, Konyar is still angry and Rilyn’s longing to be forgiven make me so sad because Konyar won’t forgive her for a while…. Yeah, that sounded confusing XD

Favorite? Probably when Konyar brings Rilyn to meet a human he saved, one whom they shall dub “Small One”, even though the human hates the name! It’s kinda funny, haha.

Thanks!

~Author Unknown

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mischievous-thwapling

Thank you so, so much! That helps a ton!

I actually have another question I forgot about 😅

I’ve read up on nightmares, and I found out a lot of interesting things like the nightmares are seldom exact flashbacks, but usually similar in feeling to the trauma. But I couldn’t find out how frequent they are, generally. Could you help with that, please?

Also, Liorah has a scar on her arm from the event, so would someone asking about it be a trigger?

Thank you!

Is it Liorah who has PTSD? Can you kinda tell me what caused it, without too many spoilers?

Yes, it’s Liorah, though there is another character who has it too, Liorah doesn’t really know (or care), so I can be pretty vague about him. Hmmm, I’ll try not to spoil! Someone important to her died as a consequence of her actions. Liorah blames herself for the death, though she doesn’t articulate it that way in the narration. She avoids thinking about it, but it fuels her actions throughout the second book. It’s interesting to write, especially since it’s so different from the first book.

But when she comes back for help/to make up, Konyar is still angry and Rilyn’s longing to be forgiven make me so sad because Konyar won’t forgive her for a while…

That’s so cool! It’s really interesting that Rilyn doesn’t hold grudges, but Konyar does, even though he’s the more soft-hearted of the two! (I think? XD) I have two characters like that, Sahar is really sweet and bubbly, but everything’s black-and-white to her, and she holds grudges constantly. Acyn is analytical and logical, but he doesn’t let anyone tell him what to think, and he doesn’t judge anyone until he has very good reason to, so he forgives much faster than Sahar.

Incongruities in characters are so awesome and make them feel real!

Probably when Konyar brings Rilyn to meet a human he saved, one whom they shall dub “Small One”, even though the human hates the name! It’s kinda funny, haha.

That sounds so cute! I can totally imagine them doing that!

What’s your biggest pet peeve in books?

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@rose-colored-fancy

I’ve read up on nightmares, and I found out a lot of interesting things like the nightmares are seldom exact flashbacks, but usually similar in feeling to the trauma. But I couldn’t find out how frequent they are, generally. Could you help with that, please?

Well, I’ll be honest with you: Both Sister A and Sister B used to have nightmares every other night. But now it’s as seldom as a blue moon that they have a nightmare. So I think it might depend on how much time/healing Liorah/any others have.

Also, Liorah has a scar on her arm from the event, so would someone asking about it be a trigger?

Hm… I don’t think so, but I’m not entirely sure. I mean, just someone asking about it? It might make her uncomfortable and start to freak out slightly, but IDK if it would incite a literal flashback. *thinks for a moment* I mean, maybe if they pressed it, even when she tries to say she doesn’t want to talk about it. If they didn’t leave her alone about it, I’d say it could, but if they just mentioned? I don’t believe so.

No problem!!

Aw, I feel so bad for her!!!! But, from a writer’s perspective, that’s a pretty cool thing for your character to struggle with. 😉 But from another perspective, it’s so sad!

It’s really interesting that Rilyn doesn’t hold grudges, but Konyar does, even though he’s the more soft-hearted of the two! (I think? XD)

Yeah, he is 😛

OH, that’s really cool!! I’m glad you’re doing that with Sahar because it annoys me so much when sweet/bubbly characters are flat. And that’s very interesting with Acyn!

Haha, thank you!!

My biggest pet peeve in books is probably when the main character is just “naturally” a “good-hearted” person and is so “brave” and is always “right” and is just so “noble” while the villain is just “naturally” purely evil and terrible and will never have redemption because he or she is just so nasty. (hopefully the sarcasm in that was apparent)  Have you read a book like that? What’s your biggest pet peeve?

~Author Unknown

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mischivious-thwapling

Thank you so much! It helps a ton!

Aw, I feel so bad for her!!!! But, from a writer’s perspective, that’s a pretty cool thing for your character to struggle with.   But from another perspective, it’s so sad!

IKR! It’s very interesting to write, and it annoys me in books when characters go through awful trauma and just… forget about it? Within weeks? They just ignore all this emotional trauma and go on without even remembering it.

And I know, it’s so sad!! I’ve considered taking Liorah out of the Character Castle, then putting her back, as she is at the beginning of book 2, with no memory of these people. It would be kinda heartbreaking since the characters would remember what she was like before and have no idea what happened. Especially at the beginning of book 2, she’s really bitter, angry, suspicious, and frightened. It could be interesting!

My biggest pet peeve in books is probably when the main character is just “naturally” a “good-hearted” person and is so “brave” and is always “right” and is just so “noble” while the villain is just “naturally” purely evil and terrible and will never have redemption because he or she is just so nasty. (hopefully the sarcasm in that was apparent)  Have you read a book like that? What’s your biggest pet peeve?

heard the sarcasm! I couldn’t agree more! The book I instantly thought of was “The Youngest Templar” That book makes me laugh because it’s a collection of the most cliche tropes put together. It’s kinda funny and kinda sad because it’s so awful.

The writing isn’t bad, but there’s a farm boy turned squire, an assassin, the crusades, an evil and insane enemy with no personality besides “Bad. Very bad. Be afraid.”, a MacGuffin that duct tapes every single plot hole (Did something dumb and got yourself into a corner? Activate MacGuffin!), a princess, a band of rebels, and all of it is sloppily glued together with repetitive banter, no motives, and Robin Hood. No offense to anyone who likes it! It’s just not my style.

My biggest pet peeves are a. inaccuracy in things that could be easily researched. (If you wiggle a horse’s reins, it won’t ‘go’, and corsets weren’t painful.) and b. Characters who just get up and run around after they got seriously hurt. Like, “You were just tortured! You can’t do that!”. I see this one sooo much. I like it when characters get injuries and recover realistically, especially when you get little reminders of the injury in later books, like scars or a habit of sitting in a particular way to keep from straining an old injury.

Also, unrealistic female characters. Enough said.

Do you know any books that do those? Does it annoy you too, or is that just me? XD

What are your favorite things to see in books? Like, a specific trope, style of prose, or something like that?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Rose.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Rose.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest