Hello, fellow writers!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello, fellow writers!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@seekjustice

Hi Chelsea! It’s nice to meet you!

I do love history! My (current) favorite periods are: The Anglo-Dutch wars, the English Civil war, the Napoleonic wars, the Middle-east and North Africa during the medieval period (As you can tell by my WIP), the Romans, and the French revolution. (Okay, that’s a long list. I actually like most parts of history, though the ancient civilizations interest me less.)

Your interests are fascinating! I really like those too, though I know very little about pre-colonial Polynesia. I have read up on the Romans in Britain, though I know little besides the Iceni and Trinovante uprising led by Boudica. I think that’s one of the most fascinating parts of history, though it’s a pity they didn’t keep records and we only have the accounts of the Romans, who were obviously biased.

Nice to meet you, Chelsea!

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." ~The Book Thief

Wingiby Iggiby
      @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

Thanks for the compliments on the art and my story, I really appreciate it!

You are totally welcome! I love the look of digital art, and your book sounds so unique! And thank you! I would love to share some of my art, but *sheepishly chuckles* I don’t know how to post any. I’m not tech-savvy at all (when I found out how to change the wall-paper on my phone I was so proud of myself), but if you want to know something about snails, I’m the one to ask! Anyhow, my profile pic is one of my drawings, but its an older one and not as good. I love your pic, by the way.

Your WIP’s sound really cool! I checked out the summary’s on your profile, and they sound amazing! Also, I really love the way you wrote your profile, it was so much fun to read. (Especially “freeeee donutssss!!!!” )

Oh, thank you!! 😀 And you don’t, by any chance, actually have any free donuts? 😛

It’s an awesome idea to write fantasy in a WWII era! That’s such an original idea.

Thank you! WWI and II are my favorite periods in history, aside from Biblical times. I just HAD to use it 😉 Guns, tanks, poison gases, ahhh…. What type of weapons are in your book? I am going to use the idea of tiny guns shaped as pens, bc I like weird things like that.

I learned Latin last year! It’s so cool that you’re learning it too!

Totally! What are your other two languages? And, for English being your second language, you write it really, really well!

I hope to see you around and about on here; there are awesome FREE resources (I love anything that’s free; if it’s free, I take it) and not to mention the wonderful crowd of writers who will answer questions about absolutely anything. If you need to develop any characters, hop on over to Character Castle 0.2, because I think we still have room in our assortment of feys, dragons, nobility, and villains. 😉

"Whatever man loves dominates them. I loved wrong, for I loved myself. You don't know how sorry I am."

Rose
        @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

Your profile pic is really cool, I love the colors you used! I’ll remember about the snails😉

I love your pic, by the way.

Thank you so much! It’s another drawing of Liorah, I think I’ve drawn her at least ten times by now😂

WWII would make such an epic fantasy! I LOVE the idea of pen-shaped guns! Imagine whipping out one of those during a fight, you’d surprise anyone!

For the weapons in my book, I actually used just about everything from the same time period: Scimitars and yatagans, (A very cool, curved sword from Turkey) throwing knives and throwing stars, and a quarterstaff-type war weapon I invented. It’s essentially a 2-meter-long, hardwood stick, reinforced with steel. It’s roughly based on the ancient-Egyptian ‘naboot’.

And, for English being your second language, you write it really, really well!

Thank you so much! I speak Dutch, Afrikaans, and English (obviously). I also know (translate, not speak) Latin, as before mentioned.

I think I might actually take a look at the Character Castle! It sounds really cool! Is it like a roleplay to develop characters?

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." ~The Book Thief

Wingiby Iggiby
          @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

Your profile pic is really cool, I love the colors you used! I’ll remember about the snails

Thank you! 😀

And if you love a character, draw them as many times as you can! She really does look like a fun one to draw.

And right?! I think gun-pens were an actual thing spies used *quick google search* Yeah! They actually make things like that!! Wow, I think I need one, seriously.

And those weapons are AWESOME! They are totally unique, and that staff you made up is so cool! I love throwing stars, just from seeing them in shows.

And I’ve never heard of Afrikaans. Are you from Africa? If so, that is so cool! Africa would be such a wonderful place to visit….

And yes, Character Castle is a roleplay where anything goes. We currently have a fey, two dragons who can change into humans, an archer/guard to her king, a villain who rules 19 or so galaxies, a sweet blind girl and her dog, an elf and a half-elf, an energetic boy and a savvy girl, and my two characters, The Heir to Banerow (Kiarkus), and my villain, (Wylo Reni), if I remember right. It’s a very entertaining role play, lol.

Also, I love your quote/signature thingy!

"Whatever man loves dominates them. I loved wrong, for I loved myself. You don't know how sorry I am."

Arindown
            @arindown

@rose-colored-fancy

I totally get leaving a drawing and coming back. I do that pretty often. Sometimes it’s just not a “good day” for drawing. Your drawing turned out really well though.

Liorah sounds amazing. I do have some stubborn characters. The person who hates the Outrider the most, Prince Derik, kind of stole a main role, and continues to do what he likes. It’s all good though, because I managed to fall for him too.😄 He’s got a good heart, and so does the Outrider, they just can’t see it in each other.

Maewyn sounds really adorable. I love the personality you gave her. Bruce is very laid-back. He was copied off a toy horse my little brother has…he’s black (maybe a Shire cross?) with a blaze and some white feathering. I just love the image of a angry wizard storming down a cobblestone street (lit by lanterns) on a draft-horse. I really should do a drawing sometime.😆

Oh, I love Arabians and Barbs. Beautiful, but a little temperamental.

Yep, that’s how siblings work. You’ll bicker and tease…until someone threatens one of you, and then you’ll fight for each-other.

What other books do you like? Or movies?

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Arindown
              @arindown

@lonathecat Awww, thanks.

As for not smudging charcoal…I can’t help you much.😄 I try not to worry about smudging too much. It’s frustrating when it erases detail, but I find that a little smudging here or there can actually look better. My tactic is usually to get as dirty as possible at the beginning, and then finish up with dark detail and pulling out the white with an eraser.😆

Also, if I have a lot of charcoal fingerprints on my background sometimes I’ll just spread it around to look like shadows, or just leave it and try to make a sun-through-leaves look. I’m posting a little Red Panda sketch I did where I attempted a “leaf” background.

Will you post one of your drawings?😊 Please?

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Lona
                @lonathecat

@rose-colored-fancy

Nice to meet you too!
                  Haha yes, the writer’s dilemma. Though I suppose without it we would never get anywhere, now would we? XD

I only have one WIP that I’m actually working on. I have some ideas for  few other novels floating around my brain space, but they’re not as interesting to me so they get shoved to the back to maybe be found again some day in the future. 😛

Is your Middle Eastern fantasy your only WIP or do you have others as well? Haha or like me, semi-have them?

Oh that must be frustrating, I’m sorry haha. I learned Spanish as a second language when I was around 7 since my family moved to a Spanish speaking country. Last year I also started learning German. Though my goodness let me just say that learning languages when you’re older is way harder haha.

You said you spoke three languages? What are the other two? 🙂

Oh, I like your process! I’ve never heard of doing it that way before, but that’s really smart!

Yes, I draw. Only paper and pencil, though. I have enough trouble with tech as is, so throwing drawing digitally into the mix doesn’t go well. 😛

Lona
                  @lonathecat

@arindown

Ah well then I suppose for the most part I will have to learn to live with the smudges. Thanks for the advice! 🙂

Ah the red panda is so cute! I love it! Are red pandas a favorite animal of yours?

And oh haha that’s smart! Mind if I use that finger-leaves idea sometime?

Sure! Most of my sketchbooks are just full of nonsensical doodles, but I found one from semi-recently that isn’t. (Well, actually, a meramid with war paint is kinda nonsensical…ya know what nevermind. 😛 )

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Lona.
                    Rose
                    @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

And right?! I think gun-pens were an actual thing spies used *quick google search* Yeah! They actually make things like that!! Wow, I think I need one, seriously.

Ooh! That’s the coolest thing!

I actually really like writing the throwing stars and knives, mostly because one of my side characters, (Liorah’s best friend, Sahar) uses them. It’s actually really funny to write since Sahar is the most adorable and sweetest character imaginable, but she also happens to carry at least three knives on her at all times and she doesn’t hesitate to use them.

Afrikaans is the language spoken in South-Africa, and yes, I was born there😉

The character castle sounds like so much fun! I’ll have to ask if there’s still room. That’s a very interesting collection of characters😂

Also, I love your quote/signature thingy!

Thank you so much! “The Book Thief” is one of my favorite books!

Rose
                      @rose-colored-fancy

@arindown

I totally get leaving a drawing and coming back. I do that pretty often. Sometimes it’s just not a “good day” for drawing. Your drawing turned out really well though.

IKR? Some days I can’t draw at all, no matter how hard I try. Thank you!

Liorah sounds amazing. I do have some stubborn characters. The person who hates the Outrider the most, Prince Derik, kind of stole a main role, and continues to do what he likes. It’s all good though, because I managed to fall for him too.  He’s got a good heart, and so does the Outrider, they just can’t see it in each other.

Ooh, I know that feeling! I have a side character who is trying very hard to take the main role, only he’s sort-of a villain😂😂

He’s a rather morally gray character. He intends well and has a good heart, deep down, but he usually makes a mess of things. To make things more interesting, Liorah despises him. She hates him with every fiber of her being, so I make sure to give them a lot of scenes together😂 It makes for a lot of sarcasm on her side.

The opposite has happened too, I had another character who I really didn’t like. He’s a minor antagonist, not a villain, but he annoys Liorah and keeps her from reaching her goals. The funny thing is my alpha readers really liked him! After some convincing, I finally started liking him too, so I had to change the entire ending😂

Maewyn sounds really adorable. I love the personality you gave her. Bruce is very laid-back. He was copied off a toy horse my little brother has…he’s black (maybe a Shire cross?) with a blaze and some white feathering. I just love the image of a angry wizard storming down a cobblestone street (lit by lanterns) on a draft-horse. I really should do a drawing sometime.

Oh my goodness, I can just imagine that! It sounds amazing! Bruce sounds so cute!

Yep, that’s how siblings work. You’ll bicker and tease…until someone threatens one of you, and then you’ll fight for each-other.

IKR?

What other books do you like? Or movies?

Hmm, for movies, I really love old musicals. “Singing in the Rain” is probably my favorite. For books, I have so many favorites, but here are some:

“The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak. Amazing prose and a great story. It’s narrated by Death, which is a fascinating choice by the author. It really works with the story.

“Ranger’s Apprentice” and “Brotherband Chronicles” by John Flanagan. Okay, the writing isn’t that amazing, and the plots are a bit predictable, but I LOVE the characters! The ideas are also quite good, though the worldbuilding isn’t that original. It’s still a really fun read.

“The Red Ribbon” by Lucy Adlington. Vivid, beautiful prose, lovable characters, and an amazing story. It’s a holocaust novel, but the tone was very hopeful and completely unlike most WWII books, though it didn’t gloss over how terrible it was.

“The tale of Despereaux” by Kate Dicamillo. I love the prose in this book, it’s one of the books that actually sound best when you read them out loud. The storylines are beautifully interwoven, and the characters are very three-dimensional.

“Ascendence series” by Jennifer Nielsen. Great storylines, and some of the best characters. The stories are surprising, and they’re all very exciting.

“The Letter for the King” Tonke Dragt. (Book, not Netflix series) This was actually originally a book, and one of the first fantasy books I read. It’s less well-known, but it’s a very fun read. The characters are interesting and the worldbuilding is great. I actually enjoyed the second book even more than the first.

And yours? What are your favorite books and why do you like them?

Rose
                        @rose-colored-fancy

@lonathecat

Is your Middle Eastern fantasy your only WIP or do you have others as well? Haha or like me, semi-have them?

Since it’s a trilogy, I’m revising the first book, writing the second, and dreaming up ideas for the third. It works quite well since I can go back and forth between them. I also get struck by random ideas at the oddest times, so I write those down for future inspiration.

Oh that must be frustrating, I’m sorry haha. I learned Spanish as a second language when I was around 7 since my family moved to a Spanish speaking country. Last year I also started learning German. Though my goodness let me just say that learning languages when you’re older is way harder haha.

It’s actually more funny than frustrating XD. I think Spanish is such a cool language, as is German!

I speak Afrikaans, Dutch, English (of course XD), and I know Latin. I also understand but do not speak, German.

Your drawing is really good! I love the idea of a mermaid in warpaint! It’s such an original idea.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Rose.

Mischievous Thwapling
                          @mischievous-thwapling

@rose-colored-fancy

Can I just say: I was also getting REALLY tired of all the Fantasy stories being set in medieval France/England. Your WIP sounds extremely creative and fun!!!! And a trilogy…wow, that’s awesome. That’s really cool that you draw. May I ask, is the digital tool stuff an app?

That’s amazing that you speak so many languages! Where do you live? (like what country) Also.. do you find English grammar confusing? I’ve heard that people who learn english think that our rules are ridiculous. Which I suppose they are. XD

Nice to meet you! 🙂

(Oh, and one more thing: Do you find that the more you draw, the better you are at it?)

Whatever we love deeply becomes a part of us.
                            ~Helen Keller

Mischievous Thwapling
                            @mischievous-thwapling

@rose-colored-fancy Oh, and I forgot. It’s my tradition to ask new people random questions. Here’s one: If you had the WHOLE world’s attention for thirty seconds, what would you say?

Whatever we love deeply becomes a part of us.
                              ~Helen Keller

Rose
                              @rose-colored-fancy

@mischievous-thwapling

Hi! It’s nice to meet you!

(I love your username and signature!)

Can I just say: I was also getting REALLY tired of all the Fantasy stories being set in medieval France/England. Your WIP sounds extremely creative and fun!!!!

Thank you so much! That’s really nice of you! Do you have a current WIP or are you in between projects? I’d love to know more if you do have a WIP!

(By the digital tool, I assume you mean Krita, please correct me if I misunderstood you) Krita is a free PC program that you can download online. It was made for digital artists who can’t afford Photoshop, but honestly, it’s better than Photoshop! You can download it at krita.org

Well, I’ve actually gotten completely used to English grammar. (Goodness, I even think in English most of the time!) I do think it’s funny how many exceptions there are. (This sentence for example: English is hard, but it can be understood through tough thorough thought though.)

(Oh, and one more thing: Do you find that the more you draw, the better you are at it?)

Absolutely! If I look at the drawings I made a year ago, I don’t know whether to laugh or cringe. The best way to improve (for me) is by trying a lot of different techniques.

Here’s one: If you had the WHOLE world’s attention for thirty seconds, what would you say?

Ooh, that’s SUCH a good question! This is probably considerably over thirty seconds, but I’d say 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

That’s one of my favorite verses.

Okay, here’s a counter-question. If you could learn one skill immediately, what would it be?

It’s so nice to meet you!

Wingiby Iggiby
                                @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

Oh, Sahar sounds like such a great character! It is strange, but I usually end up liking my villains and side characters more than the main ones. Does that happen with you?

Afrikaans is the language spoken in South-Africa, and yes, I was born there

So cool! Do you still live there? I was born in Illinois, but then we moved to Georgia, and now we’re in North Carolina — hopefully for a good while yet!

Yah, come on over (to Character Castle)!

I have yet to read The Book Thief! I need to get it from the library, especially as I’m always looking for books to read. Still waiting for the YA version of Unbroken to come in, *sigh*…. I also need to check out your book-list up there, bc I haven’t read a lot of them.

Butting in on other conversation: Corinthians 13:1-3 I love those verses too!! And its so cool that you can think in different languages.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest