Hello, fellow writers!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello, fellow writers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Hello everyone!

I’m really excited to join this awesome forum!

I’ve been writing for about 7 months, so I’m still very new at this. I’m currently revising my first project, a YA fantasy novel. Revision is proving to be as tricky as drafting, especially since I had a fondness for run-on sentences and a complete and utter lack of description.

I’m also working on my second project, the sequel to my first book. I’m planning to finish the whole trilogy, eventually. Yes, I know, a whole trilogy is a bit ambitious, but in my defense, it was supposed to be a single book. Then my main character decided to change the entire thing until I couldn’t fit it in a single book. *Sigh*

My trilogy is set in a desert country loosely based on medieval North-Africa/Middle-east. I decided to set it there because I was getting bored with all the fantasies set in medieval France/England. I’m really enjoying the setting since it gives a lot of ideas for conflict. (Sandstorms, flash-floods, heat and cold!). I’m having a lot of fun with worldbuilding since the country is sub-divided into seven tribes, each with its own culture and governmental system.

Besides writing, my other obsessions interests are: History, languages (English is my third language, and my favorite.), horses, music, and art. (My profile picture is one of my drawings. She’s the main character of my stories and a lot of fun to draw.)

I hope to get to know you all soon!

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." ~The Book Thief

Arindown
      @arindown

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi! Your story sounds really amazing. Do you mind sharing what the basic plot is? Your world-building sounds really cool.

I’m currently around 50k words into my first fantasy novel. It’s really hard to say what a story is about (Even though I’m asking you to do it๐Ÿ˜†), but I’ll give it a try (this is kinda what I have on NaNo):

Surateel the Great was evil. He was twisted. He was a murderer. And, he was the greatest wizard ever.
        At his passing, he left a bent, broken family. A family that has the power to make the world, or to break it.

Jonathan, a lesser wizard with a good heart, knows the only one who can stop Surateel’s oldest son’s evil is another of the great wizard’s children. He is forced to turn to the youngest, an outlaw, known as the Outrider.ย 

The Outrider, though, believes wizardry to be the cause of evil. Even as he is unwilling to except his own identity, he finds unexpected friendship in Jonathan and a couragous princess.ย 

His brother is rising. Danger is brewing. The Outrider will be forced to take a journey along with the very person who hates him the most.ย 

Wizardry will determine the outcome.ย 

That wasn’t very good, but hopefully you get an idea.๐Ÿ˜‚

I love the drawing you did! What things do you like drawing the most? I also love drawing. I dabble in digital art, pencil, and charcoal, and like drawing horses, fantasy characters, and wildlife.

So nice to meet you!

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Rose
        @rose-colored-fancy

@arindown

Hi Arindown! I’m pleased to meet you.

I love your idea! There’s a lot of potential for conflict, especially since the antagonist and protagonist are family. That always makes for a lot of tension, since it’s very personal for the protagonist. Awesome!

Did you write it for NaNoWriMo? That’s really impressive! I haven’t tried it, since I usually can’t write that fast. Writing 50k in a month is really good!

You mentioned it’s your first fantasy novel. Have you written in any other genres?

Here’s the summary of my first novel:

“The Tribe of Sand and Azure”

Seven tribes live in harmony in the deserts of Yerasht, or so it seems. A powerful tribe waits for an opportunity to rule the land unchallenged.

When the newly crowned king of the Lehabim is captured in an unexpected attack, impulsive princess Liorah must find a way to save her brother.

With the aid of her friends, bubbly Sahar and cynical Acyn, Liorah must rescue her brother before it is too late. If she fails, all she holds dear is lost. The enemy, Hakan, ruler of the Kezbes, will stop at nothing to destroy her family and her tribe.

Liorah becomes entwined in a war bigger and more dangerous than she bargained for. Not everyone is to be trusted and nothing is as it seems in the deserts and cities of Yerasht.

I’d really appreciate any constructive criticism on the summary!

It’s so cool that you like to draw too! I love to draw characters, either my own or fanart. I can’t really visualize my characters until I’ve drawn them. I also like drawing horses! I mostly draw in pencil, then color digitally, though I draw digitally now and then. What program do you use when drawing digitally?

I’d love to see one of your drawings if you’d like to share it?

Is ‘The Outrider’ your main character? He sounds really interesting! Would you mind sharing more about him?

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." ~The Book Thief

Zee
          @zee

Welcome to Story Embers, @rose-colored-fancy!

I hope you’ll enjoy the community here, and maybe learn some useful things! That’s cool that you’ve set your fantasy series in a Middle Eastern-inspired world. You’re right, I can’t think of many books that do that (though granted I’m not a huge reader of fantasy.) Have you read Dune? That’s the most popular sci-fi/fantasy that comes to mind. However, I used to live in the region, and I believe that there are at least a few other forum members who hail from there, so if you need help brainstorming ideas, I’m sure you’ll find some.

Rose
            @rose-colored-fancy

@zee

Hello, Zee! Nice to meet you!

Thanks for the welcome!

I haven’t read Dune, but I’ve heard of it.

The only thing close to the middle-eastern setting I’ve read is historical fiction about the crusades and the main character is usually from England.

Thank you! I might ask some questions about the region if I need a specific piece of information.

Arindown
              @arindown

@rose-colored-fancy

I’ve actually never done the 50k challenge on NaNo…although I’d like to sometime.๐Ÿ˜‰ I want to finish my current novel, and maybe do the next one on NaNo.

Do I write in other genres? Well…kinda. I dabble in just about anything that interests me. The only genre I’ve never “tried” is horror, and I think I’m good without it. Do you write anything besides fantasy?

I love your summery! I always struggle to come up with them…especially after I start writing the story. Once I dive into a story, everything becomes muddled and it’s hard to extract the basic plot.๐Ÿ˜‚

The program I use to draw is Krita. It’s free, and really awesome. There’s more tools there than I could use in a thousand years (not quite๐Ÿ˜„). I’ll post one of my more detailed drawings I did on it.

Yes, the Outrider is my main character. I’ll tell about him if you tell about Liorah.๐Ÿ˜‰

His name is actually Thane, and he’s roughly 60 years old, but looks in his 30’s (he’s a wizard after all). As an outlaw, he’s run away from almost everything…people, friendships, responsibility, etc. He doesn’t talk to people if he can help it, but he’ll talk to his horses sometimes. He finds them more relatable. Animals follow instinct, and they’ll fight when they feel trapped. His worst fear is wizardry (using it, having it corrupt him, and being killed by it)…but because, in his world, being a wizard is passed by blood-line, it’s an unremovable part of him. His goal (at least at the beginning of the story) is to avenge what wizardry did to him.

In some ways, the Outrider is like myself. A lot of my Main Characters are extroverts, but he’s theย veryย introverted side of my personality…shy, quiet, afraid, and alone (even though he’s not reallyย alone). I’m not as shy as I used to be, but I relate to him in a very personal way because of that.

Would you share another of your drawings?

Arindown
                @arindown

I was going to show you a sketch I have of the Outrider, but I can’t find it at the moment.

Here’s a charcoal of one of his brothers (not the villain).

Rose
                  @rose-colored-fancy

@arindown

WOOOWW! That charcoal drawing is incredible! I love how you kept your lines fairly rough, yet it gives the impression of a ton of detail, especially in his face!

I haven’t tried any other genres yet. I love reading fantasy, and that’s probably why I enjoy writing it so much. I think historical fiction might be really fun to try at some other time!

For my summary, I used the “Save the Cat! Writes a novel” template. I don’t know if you’re a plotter or a pantser, (I’m a plotter, though I had to pants most of my first book because my outline was very rough) but if you’re looking for a book on plot structure, I really recommend that one. It’s very detailed and well explained.

I use Krita too! I love it, it’s so easy to use and the brushes are amazing!

Thane sounds so cool! I love how you’re using his fear of wizardry since I’m assuming you’re going to make him face that fear. That’s really good! I can completely relate to talking to horses.๐Ÿ˜‚ I think it’s fascinating how you’re using his fears and how you’re going to force him out of his comfort zone. (If I understand the plot correctly) It makes for a very strong story with a lot of conflict!

Liorah is 16. She has one older brother. (Gavril) She’s very close to him but has a more distant relationship with her mother. (Her father died sometime before the story) She’s determined/stubborn, decisive and impulsive, confident, and has a tendency to be argumentative and jump to conclusions. She’s often single-minded, focusing on one goal, and doing anything to accomplish it.

She loves riding horses, and she’s quite good at it. (Her tribe breeds and sells horses.) She also uses the scimitar (sword) and sling.

I must admit, she’s completely unlike me, which is actually very fun to write.

I checked out your profile, and I see you like “Rifles for Watie”! That’s one of my favorites! It taught me so much about the civil war, and the writing was very good! Jeff was a really good character, but Lucy was probably my favorite, though I really liked Noah too.

This drawing is one of my favorites. It’s of Liorah and Gavril (Her older brother.)

Liorah and Gavril

Wingiby Iggiby
                    @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

Welcome! I am Wingiby Iggiby, who can sometimes be very smart, but is mostly just nutty ๐Ÿ˜›

I LOVE how your story is set in medieval North-Africa/Middle-east; that is so creative! and your story sounds so cool! I love to draw as well; mostly in pencil. I just can’t get color to work for me, but I’d really like to try digital art sometime. Your art is amazing, by the way.

I’m currently writing fantasy as well. I have two separate WIPS going right now, because I’ll get tired of one and then work on the other. My first fantasy is sorta in the same type of world time as the Wingfeather Saga (have you read it?), but they are soon to get guns when my criminal mastermind contrives it. The second is in a WWII type era.

Also, I can’t believe you speak that many languages! WOW. I have just started learning Latin.

Oh, and: I love Rifles for Waite!!!! I haven’t met anybody who’s read it, so you and Arindown have just made my day. ๐Ÿ˜‰

@arindown

Just wanted to say your story sounds amazing, and I love that drawing! ๐Ÿ˜€

"Whatever man loves dominates them. I loved wrong, for I loved myself. You don't know how sorry I am."

Arindown
                      @arindown

@rose-colored-fancy No way! That drawing is epic!๐Ÿ˜ The lighting, and the detail…it’s really amazing. Liorah’s dress looks perfect.

It’s so cool that you use Krita! I’ve actually never met anyone else who uses Krita before.๐Ÿ˜„

I’m a panster.๐Ÿ˜‚ I do minimal plotting (when I feel the need for it), but mostly, I just go head-first. It might be useful for me to learn how to outline, though. Just in case I run into book deadlines and similar stuff.

Thanks for the complements on the Outrider.๐Ÿ˜Š You’re a very observant person. The Outrider’s character arc has a lot to do with being forced to use wizardry to protect people he loves.

Liorah sounds like a fun, but difficult character. The ones that have minds of their own are the best. And she has horses! Are they like Arabians? Or are they another breed. In my story I have a draft-horse named Bruce. I love writing scenes with him…just letting him be a horse: snoopy, friendly, nervous about wizards, and hungry. Do you have any specific horses?

Also, I really like the family relationships you’ve put into your story. I’m the 5th of 10 kids and I can’t imagine not having siblings to argue with, and to lean on. Sibling or parent-child relationships are my favorite to write…probably because family is the people who get your worst, and your best, and everything in between.

You’ve read Rifles For Watie? I hardly ever meet people that have! I think my favorite was Jeff, but it’s hard to choose between him, Lucy, Noah, and of course, Heifer. I also really admire the romance in that book. It’s nice romance…believable, but not overboard.

Just tagging @wingiby-iggiby I’m glad you like my drawing. I love charcoals. It’s really fun to meet another Rifles For Watie fan.๐Ÿ˜‰ Someone needs to make a movie of it, right?

Lona
                        @lonathecat

@rose-colored-fancy

Hey there! Welcome to Story Embers!

I like your Middle Eastern fantasy, and like Zee said, I can’t think of very many like it. Medieval Europe is much more stereotypical.

Haha right?! I totally get the one book turning into three…it just happens, and you can’t really do anything about it. I was originally going to do one book, but then I had an idea that automatically called for a second, and then one character’s part ended up playing a bigger role than I thought it would so I had to split it into two…and then there’s three.

Whoa! English is your 3rd language?! Your grammar/vocab is really good! Did you learn it when you were you really young? Or slog through learning the hard way all the quirks of English? (Honestly, English is my mothertounge and I still don’t get all of its quirks…)

Also, I love your art! Do you do most of it digitally?

@arindown

Annnnd just gonna say that your art is also super awesome, even though you’ve probably heard that already. ๐Ÿ˜›

Do you have a tactic for not smudging everything when you use charcoal? If so, do you mind sharing your secret? I always manage to get charcoal smudges/dust everywhere.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Lona. Reason: typos
                          Chelsea R.H.
                          @seekjustice

@rose-colored-fancy

Hello, how are you? I see you like history? What are your favourite time periods? My obsessions are Roman-occupation era Britain, pre-colonial Polynesia, World War One, and the French Revolution!

Mahalo keia huiสปana

Rose
                          @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

Nice to meet you, Wingiby Iggiby!

Thanks for the compliments on the art and my story, I really appreciate it!๐Ÿ˜Š

It’s so cool that you draw too! I’m sure your art is great! I’d love to see it if you’d like to share it?

Your WIP’s sound really cool! I checked out the summary’s on your profile, and they sound amazing! Also, I really love the way you wrote your profile, it was so much fun to read. (Especially “freeeee donutssss!!!!”๐Ÿ˜‚)

It’s an awesome idea to write fantasy in a WWII era! That’s such an original idea.

I learned Latin last year! It’s so cool that you’re learning it too!

It was so nice to meet you!

Rose
                            @rose-colored-fancy

@arindown

Thank you! I’m glad you like the drawing! I actually gave up on it at one point, then came back a few months later and redrew their faces, then finished it.

Ikr! Krita is the best! I used Photoshop for a while, but Krita’s just better.

Oh, Liorah is SUCH a difficult character! I can’t count the times she decided to do her own thing๐Ÿ˜‚ Every time I ‘hear’ her, she’s having an argument with someone, or being really sarcastic. She does that a LOT. She’s really fun to write! Do you have any stubborn characters that go their own way in the plot?

Bruce sounds so cute! I love draft horses! What does Bruce look like?

I do have some specific horses: Liorah’s horse is called Maewyn, and she’s very mischievous. Holding her breath so Liorah can’t fasten the girth, holding her head high so you can’t bridle her, nipping and pulling at clothing– The list continues. She’s adorable and I actually love writing about her.

The other horse is Kinneret, Gavril’s horse. She’s a lot quieter and better trained than Maewyn.

They’re both Arabian types, but I see Kinneret as more of a Barb. I’d say the Lehabim (Liorah’s tribe) horses are like a cross between Arabians and Barbs.

It’s so cool that you’re from such a big family! I also love writing about sibling relationships. It’s especially fun because in the first few chapters, Liorah and Gavril are constantly teasing/arguing and annoying each other, but as soon as Gavril is captured, Liorah panics.๐Ÿ˜‚

Yes, I loved the romance between Lucy and Jeff! It was one of the most adorable couples I’ve ever read.

Rose
                              @rose-colored-fancy

@lonathecat

Hi Lona! Nice to meet you!

I’m glad you like my story’s setting!

I completely relate with the book’s idea leading to another idea. And another. And that one character is actually really interesting and–๐Ÿ˜‚

Do you have a current WIP or are you in between projects?

I learned English when I was really young, so I picked it up like a mother-tongue and the many, many, exceptions come pretty naturally. Though I still have moments when I forget words. (“You know, the thing. The thingy-thing. Ah, whatever.” -Four hours later- “Stork! I meant stork!”) This happens more often than I care to admit๐Ÿ˜‚ Do you speak any other languages? Or if you don’t, which would you want to learn?

Thank you! I’m glad you like it! I usually draw with pencil, then scan it to the computer and color it digitally. Do you draw?

Nice to meet you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest