Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone!

This topic contains 31 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Selah 2 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice

@kristinbradley

Yep, it is 😀

I’m not sure if there was one thing I liked about Jane. I guess she just reminded me a lot of myself. I’m not pretty, I have a temper, and I’m rather fierce. The only thing I didn’t like was that she fell in love with Mr Rochester. I hated Mr Rochester.

So.

Actually, the only other one I’ve read is Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte, but I’m really keen to read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, I just haven’t got around to reading it yet.

Your recipes sound interesting! Here, unless you buy an Australian cooking magazine, most the recipes are in American or British measurements 😛

I love history too, though Biblical history is a bit further back then I tend to go. Other than that, I very much like musicals, cooking (though I spend more time on meals than baking or making desserts), working with my dog, and calligraphy, and dancing too.

Crazy INFP, writer, dancer, musical fanatic.
    Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@kristinbradley I write and read mostly historical fiction.  I read non fiction too.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kristinbradley No, I haven’t watched that! I should look into it.

I do prefer starting a book (especially a mystery) without knowing where it is going. That spoils the whole experience! The few exceptions are when someone shows me the movie first, and then I want to read the book as well.

Yay! I’m so glad! No, I’m afraid Rillumen is not a poetry guild. I do know there’s a poet or two wandering around in there, though. 😉 Thankfully we have a poetry section on the general forum, so I hang out with some there. 🙂

Ah! Poetry resources. Beyond reading a lot of poetry and learning from that, there are some good posts on the blog. The Roar on the Other Side is a really good book about poetry. There’s also this Story Embers conversation, which you might find helpful. Hopefully that’s not overwhelming. 😛

I am into art! Though not seriously as I am about writing. It’s more of a casual hobby that I enjoy in free time. I paint, mostly with acrylic, and sketch, but mainly letter with calligraphy and a doodling art called, Zentangle. Have you heard of that? Do you enjoy painting or drawing or anything of that kind? What do you enjoy in your spare time?

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@kristinbradley

Oh yes, I absolutely love the area. I was born in AK, and I have always loved mountains and all of the gorgeousness that comes with them! 🙂

I love history, and read a lot of his-fic, as well as writing it. Love reading good books like I do writing them. 😀 How about you? I noticed you said you enjoyed studying Biblical history…and that sounds really cool. I read a lot, as well.  I have done some of that, but not a lot.What genre(s) do you write in?

"Get wet and sandy!" ~Instructor Reno
    "You will show respect!" ~The Bearded One

Kristin Bradley
    @kristinbradley

@seekjustice
      Those were reasons I liked Jane too! Oh, I agree–Mr. Rochester wasn’t my favorite either. He had a rather perverted way of showing his feelings for her. But, he became more tolerable once he was taken down a couple pegs. 🙂

I understood why Bronte did what she did though—have you looked into the sisters’ lives at all? As I understand it, their brother was a continual source of grief for the family and had their father wrapped around his finger. In light of this, I think the book’s focus is her desire for boundaries with loved ones. What do you think?

What did you think of Agnes Grey? Whenever you read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, I’d love to know your thoughts!

I didn’t realize Australian measurements were different from the British standard! I can imagine coordinating three different systems can be confusing.

What historical periods do you like best? I’ve explored the Tudors and the 1800s (for example, the Oregon Trail, Clara Barton, and Florence Nightingale). Oh, have you ever seen the stage version of The Sound of Music? I’ve always thought that would be fun to see. Does your dog compete? What type of dance do you like best? (As it happens, Dance Academy is on my favorite TV series list.)

@ashira
      Do you have favorite historical periods? I read a lot of non-fiction too! Joyce Meyer and John Bevere are two of my favorite authors. What about you?

@evelyn
      Oh, thank you! I will definitely explore these further. 🙂 Who are your favorite poets? What draws you to their work?

What type of things do you like to paint and sketch (besides the calligraphy)? I haven’t actually—I just Googled it. It looks really neat! The sort of thing my brain would love. I don’t really sketch too much anymore. As I write this, I’m realizing if I had switched to a more abstract approach, I probably would’ve kept with it! Food for thought. That’s probably why I enjoy collaging so much. More free-form and interpretative. I have an assortment of B&W pictures, comicon art, quotes, Scriptures, etc. on the wall framing my computer monitor. It just keeps growing! Learning to paint is actually on my bucket list! I currently don’t have adequate space to store painting supplies, otherwise I’d have given it a go by now.

I enjoy baking while listening to the audio Bible. I just pop my earbuds in and go! The last time I did this, I had two full batches of cookies made before I realized I should stop. (David Suchet’s narration of the NIV is just marvelous!) I enjoy studying kinesiology, which is like physics of the human body. Oh, I like puzzles too—crossword, word fill-in, cryptogram, etc. I’m new to Sudoku and have my eye on a few other Japanese puzzles.

Oh! I finished And Then There Were None. It. Was. Brilliant. I had suspected a few things, like the recording and the red herring but I couldn’t figure out how everything was pulled off. Well done, Agatha Christie, well done!

@selah-chelyah
      I remember reading some Depression era his-fic set in the Ozarks. I wish I could remember the title because the descriptions of the area were pretty! Have you been able to go back and visit?

Same here! What are some of your favorite his-fic books? Have you read Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare? It’s based on the real life story of a young girl captured by Indians, ransomed to the French, and eventually returned. If you take a look at it, I recommend the hardcover format as the paperback cover doesn’t fit with the overall tone of the book (despite its subject). It really throws you! 🙂

I have the Zondervan NKJV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible and pair it with Rose Book of Bible Charts, Maps and Time Lines. Those two provide a solid launching pad if you want to explore further. It’s really fascinating!

I tend to write in sci-fi/fantasy!

Fiction books turned into writing lessons | www.writefictionwell.com

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
      @myclipboardismyviolin

Yay! I’m so glad! No, I’m afraid Rillumen is not a poetry guild. I do know there’s a poet or two wandering around in there, though.

*puts up hand* I would join a poetry guild, if one was available. I enjoy poetry. The problem is that ol’ poetry is not as monetizable as stories and not as infamous in Christian circles for being bad. Our musicians generally aren’t knocked on for lack of skill, just lack of popularity.

@kristinbradley I enjoyed Jane Eyre. Feisty Jane reminded me of my younger self and some of my better qualities back then.

Sarah, Miss S, Sierepica_Fuzzywalker

Selah
      @selah-chelyah

@kristinbradley

Oh, that sounds neat. I don’t know that I have ever read much set in the Ozarks, but that does sound really beautiful. We lived in the woods, and it was gorgeous. I think where we live now is even more beautiful, though. I love this area of Idaho! We have not gone back yet, but I hope to before long. Health issues keep me from doing stuff like that as much as I’d like to. 🙂

Lol, I have read literally every other book by Speare except for that one…my sister bought it, but I never read it before we moved and it disappeared. And she has the paperback…your description made me laugh, it’s true! Haha.

Wow, those are awesome tools. That sounds like an amazing study.

"Get wet and sandy!" ~Instructor Reno
      "You will show respect!" ~The Bearded One

Evelyn
      @evelyn

@myclipboardismyviolin Ah, well. I guess I would agree to an extent. Even though I dislike CCM music, there are some really good poets and songwriters that I listen to. (:

What kind of poetry do you like to write?

@kristinbradley My favorite poets would be J.R.R. Tolkien, Emily Dickenson, and Shel Shilverstien. Of the first, I mainly appreciate his ease in telling a story through poetry and telling it well. I struggle with that, and reading it, find it interesting and engaging. (As well as the fact, the poetry in The Lord of The Rings gives a good picture of the culture and relates back to the story… sometimes even forshadowing.)

For Emily Dickenson, I love how vivid her short, simple poems are and how fresh, but amazing are her metaphors and similes. (Though now a few of them have been worn out by others). For Shel Shilverstien, I love his silly, witty style. Rudyard Kipling is an amazing poet as well, with his meter so on beat, and I love how author, A. A. Milne draws from the sweet simplicity of childhood fancies.

I like to paint and draw animals, and I lean to a more fantastical and abstract style. (Which is why I like Zentangle.) I also just like capturing objects that I like, if that makes sense. A pretty mug, an old typewriter, a handful of roses, some mushrooms. Stuff like that.

I hope to eventually branch out. I love paintings that evoke thought and contemplation. Ones that capture a story. Ones that make you want to sit and stare at it, piecing out every bit. But I have a long way to go until then. (:

You should definitely try out Zentangle! It’s very relaxing and simple, though it turns out looking pretty complicated. All you have to do is check out a book on it from the library. One of my favorite projects, I’ve done, was one of the easiest. I printed out a map of the United States and used a different Zentangle pattern in each state.

Oooh collaging. Have you ever tried making a collage for your characters or books? I tried it a couple months ago, and though they didn’t turn out perfectly, it was super fun! Do you have any tips on making them?

I enjoy baking as well, though I’ve never thought to listen to an audiobook while doing so. I should try that next time! What are you favorite things to bake? I like baking bread best. Then probably muffins and cookies come next.

I also like puzzles! Have you tried Hashiwokero? (Don’t ask me how to pronounce it haha) It’s a lot of fun.

Yay! I’m glad you enjoyed And Then There Were None. That book has brilliant pacing. When I read it, I was unable to set it down. I had no idea who was behind it all by the end though. 🙂

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@kristinbradley I like a lot of eras, but have most studied Roman, Jewish and 1800s in the west.  Ooh, I love Elizabeth George Speare!  I have read all her books.  Calico Captive is actually my least favorite of her books because the others are just sooo good!  (And yeah, I have the ugly paperback XD)

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
      @myclipboardismyviolin

@myclipboardismyviolin Ah, well. I guess I would agree to an extent. Even though I dislike CCM music, there are some really good poets and songwriters that I listen to. (:

What kind of poetry do you like to write?

Don’t look at me, I dislike CCM in general myself. *trips over collection of rock and metal on the way out the door* I was thinking of Skillet and Red, Christian musicians who actually put thought into their work instead of using “Christian” as an excuse for poor quality. Oh, throw TobyMac and Mandisa on that list too…anyway, but not everyone’s cup of tea.

As for poetry I like to write, I do lots of free verse and lyrical poetry. I also tend to dabble in “artist poetry” that uses funky tabs and indents to “paint” the message on the page. That’s the beauty of written poetry as opposed to the audio version, so might as well do that. (I also like designing things in general…)

Poetry I don’t like to write is all of those old-fashioned forms like limricks, haikus, sonnets. Save the villainelles for villains, I say. Syllable counting = too much math for me. No offense to those that do, but that’s not my thing.

Evelyn
      @evelyn

@myclipboardismyviolin

I was thinking of Skillet and Red, Christian musicians who actually put thought into their work instead of using “Christian” as an excuse for poor quality.

I see what you mean now, and I agree.

As for poetry, I work most in free verse and set forms (even though they require math. ;)) Ah, visual poetry is amazing. Have you tried blackout poetry?

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
      @myclipboardismyviolin

Ah! Poetry resources. Beyond reading a lot of poetry and learning from that, there are some good posts on the blog. The Roar on the Other Side is a really good book about poetry. There’s also this Story Embers conversation, which you might find helpful. Hopefully that’s not overwhelming.

This is a good list, yes. Another book that budding poets may find useful is Poetry 180 by Billy Collins. It’s actually a collection of really, high quality poems that are sooo good. It’s like, poems that you may actually enjoy reading, which can help you find your poetic voice and find your groove. I’m partial to “Did You Miss Anything?” and “Message: Bottle #32” in there.

I see what you mean now, and I agree.

As for poetry, I work most in free verse and set forms (even though they require math. ;)) Ah, visual poetry is amazing. Have you tried blackout poetry?

Yeah, there are secular music artists who use “popular appeal” as an excuse for poor quality. Christians aren’t unique in this respect at all.

No, I haven’t tried blackout poetry. It strikes me as a waste of good books. I have tried the version where you don’t ruin the book and instead take words out of a chapter of a book and make a poem, and the result struck me as unsatisfactory. Maybe it was the book involved.

*headscratch* I do enjoy writing poems based on other books, though, but the reason I enjoy doing that is engaging with the books in question from a Christian perspective without it being like an essay. I like poetry because it conveys emotion easier than other forms of writing, at least from my perspective. If I have to focus too much on form and constrained form, it takes away from that. But to each their own. 😀

red_converse
      @red_converse

Hi @kristinbradley! ::waves::

Welcome to the forums! I’m miki, and I’m new, too. I disappeared after the first week or so because I got buried under papers, but now that semester is over! Buuuuuut iminsummerclassesandwanttodie ::cough:: Uh. What?

🙂

“The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos.” ― Hayao Miyazaki

Kristin Bradley
      @kristinbradley

@selah-chelyah
        Hmm. Mental note made for future travel explorations! Oh, I’m sad to hear that! I’ll be praying for your restored health so you can adventure to your heart’s content. 🙂

That’s fantastic—the only one you never read! Right?? 🙂 I noticed the paperback cover fits within the general style of her other book covers, so the hardcover was probably an experiment to reach a different audience from her normal target group. Clever!

@evelyn
        What great insights! I’m going to explore these poets further to supplement my study! I love how they all have such unique strengths.

Your art sounds so lovely! Both imaginative and charming at the same time (of course, I’m sure it depends on the piece). What you are aiming for happens to be some of my favorite types of art—the ones that draw you back time and again. It’s one of the reasons why I love Brittney Lee’s art. Her pieces always tell a story. They come alive!

I haven’t tried collaging for my characters! That might prove useful for a reticent character! When I collage, I tend to focus on how my eye is drawn over the piece. Over the last year, I’ve been casually looking for additional art/photo pieces that draw the eye towards the left as my collage has too many pieces directing the eye towards the right. I’ve yet to find anything just right. It’s one of those “I’ll know it when I see it” situations. 🙂

My favorite things to bake are cookies and then pastry. I really like galettes as you can make them either sweet or savory. It always amazes me how drastically different homemade bread is compared to store bought (even the healthier brands)!

No, I haven’t! The name is familiar though…I think it might be one of the puzzles in a puzzle book I’m looking into.

@ashira
        Good to know! I’ll be exploring her other books then! 😉

@red_converse
        Hi Miki! I understand—been there, done that (including the summer sessions). One day, it will be all over! The feeling of being DONE is the most wonderful thing ever. Hang in there!

Fiction books turned into writing lessons | www.writefictionwell.com

Evelyn
        @evelyn

No, I haven’t tried blackout poetry. It strikes me as a waste of good books. I have tried the version where you don’t ruin the book and instead take words out of a chapter of a book and make a poem, and the result struck me as unsatisfactory. Maybe it was the book involved.

Ah, well I use books I find for 50 cents at the thrift store. Books that I already have copies of and are not rare to find. (:

*headscratch* I do enjoy writing poems based on other books, though, but the reason I enjoy doing that is engaging with the books in question from a Christian perspective without it being like an essay. I like poetry because it conveys emotion easier than other forms of writing, at least from my perspective. If I have to focus too much on form and constrained form, it takes away from that. But to each their own.

Interesting point of view! I had never thought about that before. I find the forms challenging, like piecing together a puzzle. It’s so hard and I have high respect for those who do it and pull off fresh, vivid poetry as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest