fb

Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Kristin Bradley
    @kristinbradley

Hello everyone!

My name is Kristin Bradley and I am new to the forum. I am very passionate about well-written fiction, both in reading and writing it.

My passion started with Jane Eyre—I’ve never found a book to resonate so deeply or leave me speechless. A truly well-written piece of fiction! It left me inspired to see additional works of art come into the world. When I happened upon a quote from Rachel Starr Thomson, I felt encouraged I was on the right track:

“I finally came face to face with Jesus’ parable of the talents and realized that if I had a gift and desire to write, I had a responsibility to write. That prompted a significant shift in how I treated my writing and how I put it into the world.”

Around that time the Lord called me to pursue my writing full time. After I started my new journey, I realized I had no community to share my joy of well-written fiction with—until I happened upon Story Embers.

I look forward to meeting everyone!

Fiction books turned into writing lessons | www.writefictionwell.com

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kristinbradley Hey welcome to the party! I’m Evelyn. Duh. 😉

I’m have yet to read Jane Eyre, but I can’t wait! I love novels from that era, and I’ve heard it is one of the best. Would you consider it your favorite book? Do you enjoy Historical Fiction?

Again, welcome to Story Embers! I hope you love it here.

Kristin Bradley
    @kristinbradley

@evelyn

Thanks for the warm welcome, Evelyn! My friend happens to have the same name as you. 🙂

It is, actually! Oh, you are in for a real treat! I think it’d be fun to read in July or August–contrasting the blistering heat of summer with its Gothic coolness. Whenever you do happen to read it, I’d love to hear what you thought of it.

You know, it wasn’t until you asked me that question that I realized I haven’t properly read in that genre for some time–even though I really enjoy it. Any recommendations? What are your favorites?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kristinbradley Oooh, I hadn’t thought of that. Maybe I’ll read it this summer then. 🙂

Well, have you read any Elizabeth Gaskill novels? North and South? Wives and Daughters? I’m not sure if those are technically “historical fiction” since they were set in modern times, but they were written around the same time as Jane Eyre.

Also, Charles Dickens books. My favorite would be Bleak House. That one was amazing, and I really enjoyed it.

What kind of books have you been reading recently?

Kristin Bradley
    @kristinbradley

@evelyn Are classics your favorite genre? I haven’t read any of those actually—though North and South is on my TBR list! I just downloaded it onto my Kindle so I can explore it further. What about Bleak House did you enjoy?

Recently, I’ve read Beauty by Robin McKinley, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie, and Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. All different genres and all so brilliant. I actually featured them on my blog, where I label and analyze components of writing craft (e.g., POV, character arcs, plot, etc.) in fiction books.

If you like vivid imagery, I highly recommend the first and third book. Oh, and Spindle’s End by Robin McKinley is especially exquisite!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kristinbradley Not exactly… I love some classics! But then I love some contemporary! And then I love some mystery! And then I love some fantasy! Etc. I’d say I love a good book. “Good Books” are my favorite genre. 😉

Ah, North and South is so good! I hope you enjoy it. I actually read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd recently too. It wasn’t my first Agatha Christie book to read so I was familiar with her style of huge, unseen plot twist at the end. So early on in the book when I realized it wasn’t from the perspective of who it normally is by, I wondered, what if it was the narrator who did it??

Did you enjoy that book? Have you read any of Agatha Christie’s other books?

Bleak House… I enjoyed it because the world was so vivid to me and the characters so interesting. The plot was complex and intriguing as well, even if it took a while to pick up in speed.

I’ve never read anything by Robin McKinley! I’ll have to check those books out.

Are you planning to join a Story Embers guild?

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@kristinbradley Hello, welcome to Story Embers!! ^-^ Have you looked into joining a guild? They’re great!

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Kristin Bradley
    @kristinbradley

@evelyn I started reading North and South last night! I immediately recognized Margaret’s voice, which I was already familiar with from the BBC adaptation—just goes to show how well they captured her voice for the screen.

As for The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, I think Christie pulled it off brilliantly, especially when you reread sections after the fact. As a reader, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped; the constant dialogue wore on me a little. But, as a writer, I enjoyed studying how she executed the story. What did you think of it?

Because I had been aware of what she was doing prior to reading it, I’ve started And Then There Were None intentionally unaware of EVERYTHING about it. I haven’t even read the back cover blurb! (I read somewhere these two were her most difficult to write.)

Hmm. I’m intrigued by Bleak House; it’s been added to my list.

To Evelyn and @the-fledgling-artist: Maybe at a later time! Right now, I’m working on a short story for my blog. I am curious about them, though. What do you like about participating in a guild? And, what does the time commitment look like?

Kristin Bradley
    @kristinbradley

@the-fledgling-artist Thanks for the welcome! 🙂

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@kristinbradley

Welcome to Story Embers! Where do you live? I’m in the mountains of northern Idaho. 🙂

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@kristinbradley

Oops, lol! I just posted the above comment in my sister’s account. That was me. 😀

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kristinbradley I love that adaption. It’s so good! Usually when reading a book after watching the BBC version I can see it play out scene by scene perfectly.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd… well I was pretty upset that the narrator was guilty. I had really been cheering for him. But! I enjoyed it. Ah! And Then There Were None!  That one I really enjoyed! It had me on the edge of my seat the entire time! I’m so glad you don’t know anything about it going in. I will not spoil it, but once you finish it I am very curious of your thoughts. 🙂

What does participating in a guild look like… well. Honestly, it becomes what you make of it. And the amount of time you invest gives different results. For me, it’s a three times a week, to check in on conversations and reply to them. Then there are contests and (friendly) competitions between the guilds, whether they be word wars (which guild can write the most words in a week) or when the guild works together to write a short story from a prompt. There are also weekly writing lessons to exercise and learn more about different aspects of writing (right now the guilds are working through the topic of writing habits and time management and such…)

There are also sections in the private guild forum for prayer requests, accountability, and asking for help in editing, plotting, etc.

Being in the overall forum can be overwhelming, so having a smaller, tighter group of writers who you can keep up with and cheer on, helps. 🙂

I hope I explained it well. Here is a list of the current guilds if you are curious and want to read about them: https://storyembers.org/guilds/

Right now there are seven general writing guilds and one art guild (which they, sadly, decided will be the last), but I’m hoping for a poetry guild at some point. 😉

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@kristinbradley

Hello there! I’m SeekJustice, from Australia, where its currently very cold.

I read Jane Eyre either last year or the year before and I really enjoyed it. I related a lot to Jane as well 🙂 And since then I’ve gone onto read a few other Bronte books, though I haven’t tackled Wuthering Heights yet. Have you read that one?

What are some of your hobbies beside writing/reading?

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@kristinbradley Hi!  Welcome to SE!  As you can see, my older sis Selah posted on my account. 😀  What genre do you write?

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Kristin Bradley
    @kristinbradley

@selah-chelyah
    Whoops! Can’t say that’s never happened to me before either! 🙂

Thanks for the welcome! Say, we’re state neighbors—I live an hour south of Seattle on the west side of Washington. Your area sounds very pretty; do you like living in the mountains? When I was little, my family drove through Idaho on a road trip to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder homestead in South Dakota. I bet we passed through your vicinity!

What types of books do you enjoy?

@evelyn

Yes, exactly so! Have you watched Poirot (the David Suchet version)? I found myself laughing at Poirot’s antics in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which reminded me of Suchet’s spectacular personification.

Oooh. I’m excited to see how things progress! While most of the time I spoil books for myself, this one just seemed appropriate to go in blind, you know? How do you prefer to start books? I’ll be certain to let you know what I think of it. 🙂

Thank you—you explained guilds perfectly. Even answered a couple questions I didn’t know I had. I took a look at the guilds—is Rillumen a poetry guild? Could you participate there, too?

Also, do you have any resource recommendations for learning poetry? I’ve always wanted to reexplore poetry as it had never clicked when I was in school. Are you into art as well? Any particular mediums you enjoy best?

@seekjustice

Hello back! Oh, that’s right! You’re approaching winter, yes?

What did you like best about Jane? For me, it was her unwavering devotion to the truth—that she refused to compromise or settle in any capacity. I haven’t read anything else by the Brontës! Shameful, I know. I’ve been leery another work might usurp my beloved Jane Eyre’s place (even though Wuthering Heights is on my TBR list). Which ones have you read?

Let’s see. I enjoy kinesiology (the study of human movement), which makes exercising a world more efficient. I like baking because of the science. And, most of my recipes use the metric system. Scaling is the best! I’m also interested in Biblical history and explore that off and on. What about you?

@ashira

Thank you!! I write in sci-fi/fantasy generally. How about you?

What type of books do you like to read?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest