fb

Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@libby

Sorry for not responding in a while. Life. ūüôā

Haha! I don’t think I could feasibly¬†pay for the trip. Rats! I still have my ingenious plan of offering Skype lessons that I need to stop procrastinating on. ūüôā

His Arabesque 1 is beautiful! I’ve been working on his Claire de Lune recently. A beautiful piece. The comparison between Bach and Debussy must have been fascinating. Was it a book you read? If so, could you give me the title?

My one flaw with Liszt’s Liebestram is my teeny tiny hands. I’ve tried to sight-read it too, but that… well, it wasn’t pretty. ūüôā

My old piano teacher was irritated to no end because I kept calling all my pieces “songs”. At least her many corrections are starting to sink in a little. ūüôā

All the songs you mentioned¬†are great! Add them to my list of loved music too! Wow, you won’t give me a break on picking favorites. ūüôā You’re probably¬†learning that I’m really indecisive. I can’t think of an artist/band that is a favorite. I know I love a lot of Beetles songs, so I guess you could say those. I also like several Christian artists/bands (Casting crowns being one of my favorites, depending on the songs you’re looking at). What about you? Do you have any favorites?

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

Libby
    @libby

@kb-writer Oh, I love Clair de Lune!¬† I’ve only sight-read it, but it’s so beautiful!¬† As for studying the lives of Bach and Debussy, I looked up a ton of articles, read encyclopedias, and wrote an essay.¬† I really didn’t read a specific book, but here’s the essay if you want to read it – I wrote it a little while ago ūüėČ

I have tiny hands, too.  Sad for a pianist, but I guess God had a sense of humor when he gave us small hands and the love of piano!

That’s okay – I’m really indecisive, too.¬† When I’m with my sister or my friends, we can never decide what we really want to do, because we’re basically fine with anyone.¬† Makes me really appreciative of those who are direct and know what they want.¬† However, when it comes to artists, I usually am pretty good with knowing which ones I like best. ūüôā

I do like Casting Crowns!¬† My favorite of their songs would probably be Voice of Truth.¬† I also love The Grey Havens, Citizens and Saints, King’s Kaleidoscope, and some of Coldplay.¬† And Leon Bridges.¬† I’ll probably wake up in the middle of the night and remember someone I didn’t mention and think did I really forget them!? ūüėČ
    I like some of the Beetles songs, too.  Blackbird would be my favorite.
    Oh woops, just realized I already put that down.

I won’t ask anymore favorites if you don’t want, but if there’s anything interesting about you, that would be fun to hear! ūüėČ

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@libby

Claire de Lune is beautiful. I’ve wanted to play it for a while, so I finally decided to ask my teacher.

I would love to see your essay! I don’t know if you thought you attached it, but I didn’t see it in your post (it’s okay. I do that all the time!). Is there a way you could get it to me?

God’s sense of humor… I never thought of it like that! It is really funny though. Oh well, it makes for a fun challenge.

I really appreciate decisive people too! My sister’s very decisive, and I’m the “ideas person”, so we balance each other out. ūüôā

Voice of Truth is great. I once butchered it in our church’s youth group when I became the de-facto lead singer for the band (because no one else wanted to sing). I was a horrible singer, and not helped by the “advice” I got from the musically-untrained youth pastor when he said, “Just sing louder!”. I ended up sounding something like a screeching pig when it got into my more awkward ranges (solutions to the problem I only learned several years later when my Mom gifted me with a semester of voice lessons). I don’t think I’ve listened very much to the other bands you mentioned. Can you tell me your favorite songs from each one?

I don’t mind you asking for favorites at all! I’m (partly) joking, though I really am horrible at choosing favorites. But if you don’t mind getting long lists of “these have been one of my favorites at various points in time”, ask away!

Well, to add to the list of things I do, I’ve been coaching for one of the local Stoa speech and debate clubs. Did you graduate (there were too many faces at NITOC for me to recall how old you were)? If so, are you still involved?

Libby
    @libby

@kb-writer Oh, haha.¬† I must’ve not attached it.¬† I meant to ūüėČ Here it is.¬† Hope this works. ūüėÄ

I’ll get to responding to your other comments tomorrow or so.¬† I’ve got to head to bed, on account of an early morning I need to make tomorrow.

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@kb-writer: Ok I may have stalked you slightly (by (simi) reading all the past posts but I have to respond to¬†this: “that‚Äôs the problem with a forum for lots of writers: posts are long and wordy. And it must be absolutely grammatically¬†correct, or the writer‚Äôs legs will buckle with the shame, leaving them in a sunken heap on the desolate floor.” If you dare to talk to me your legs are going to do a lot of buckling XD. But you are very right on the long posts thing, wordsmith and I can attest to that! we had a very lengthy¬†discussion about self-defense and trust me, those posts were¬†long! So ya, how old are you, what’s your personality type and oh, whats your writing score?

INTJ- trying to grow into real wisdom; James 3:17

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@kb-writer, welcome!! What genre do you write? Or read? How did you learn about S. E.? Glad to have you here! :_

@libby
    , love your C. S. Lewis quote. So true!

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@libby

Beautiful essay. I loved it!

And I totally get waiting until daytime. I do write a little too much. ūüôā

@theinconceivable1

Stalking? Gasp! ūüôā

Haha! Yes, I’ve become more of a grammar-nerd as time has gone on, but I’m nowhere near picky enough, particularly when talking. I’ve had one too many instances of friends correcting my bad grammar¬†(which I appreciate, a little). ūüôā

I’m 19 (graduated!), and my personality is ENFP (the description of which is both frustratingly¬†wrong and embarrassingly accurate, depending on where you look), and my writing score has been intermediate no matter how many times I take the test (I always go back because I’m afraid an answer is inaccurate¬†[i.e. overestimating my strengths or downplaying my weaknesses]. I’m guessing after this many attempts, though, intermediate is pretty accurate). What about you?

@selah-chelyah

I read just about any genre, so… yeah. As for writing, I’m a little pickier. Lately, I’ve been on a mystery kick (I used to be scared to death of butchering a mystery, but I gave it a shot and loved it), but I’ve also done fantasy and other general adventures.

I can’t exactly remember how I learned about S.E., but my best guess is that I stumbled across it while scouring the internet for writing tips (one of my hobbies). I was hooked by the strong emphasis on using the skills of writing for the Glory of God, and the rest is history. ūüôā What about you? How did you learn about S.E.?

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@kb-writer: XD well don’t¬†worry, I won’t correct any of your grammar, trust me, it will be the other way around! 19 huh? sweet! what are you studying in collage? Also I think ENFP is a great personality! both my brother and my dad are INFP’s and I’m guessing you guys are pretty similar. Plus your personality is way nicer then mine XD. You bad traits¬†say things like “overthink things” while mine say things like “arrogant” and¬† “judgemental” (which may or may not be true XD) I’m a novice… I think. I judged myself as an intermediate but when I showed a guy my work he said i was a novice so I guess I overestimated myself XD. Hey do you have any short storeys? I would love to read one!

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@theinconceivable1

Haha! I’m not that picky about grammar¬†(yet).

I’m actually not in college right now. I’m teaching piano and guitar and seeking certification from a national music organization instead of a college education. I realized that you really don’t make much in the arts, and dishing out tons of money for a degree it right off the bat didn’t seem a wise use of my time.

By the way, I think I forgot to ask how old you are. If you’re in college, what are you studying?

I really don’t know what the differences are between ENFP’s and INFP’s. I never was super into the personality tests before I decided to throw a bunch of my characters through them for fun, with varying levels of satisfying results (it got my protagonist¬†right on. The love interest… not so much. Though in its defense, the personality descriptions probably weren’t anticipating a care-free ex-criminal who lost both his parents when he was 9 :P).

Well, I don’t know about great… It also calls us unfocused, whishy-washy idea-generators that can’t get serious. Not that I really can completely deny those claims, but they’re not the most pleasant.

I wouldn’t be surprised¬†if I was more of a novice myself. I just happen to really love reading and writing and reading about writing, and that’s about as far as I can claim experience.

Here’s my thing about short stories… I have yet to be brave enough to write one. All my plots seem to be enormous, and I haven’t yet made a condensed one.

Well, I take that back. There are two exceptions.

One was super dumb, but when I was younger I had imagined this series of short stories called “Suzie’s Garden”. It was about this girl had a horrible, bug-infested, rotting garden, and neighbors with a picture-perfect one. Each story she schemed to somehow steal her neighbor’s¬†success, with terrible results! They are super far-fetched (the only one I remember involves covering everyone in the world with tomato juice), but I still may try to make a children’s story collection out of those ideas one day.

The other was actually a sequel-story to a finished rough-draft story I wrote. It centered around a couple friends of the original book’s main characters¬†(who were getting married) who, while picking up flowers for the father of the bride, discovered a plot to bomb the church the wedding was hosted at in order to force the congregation to relocate (and thus steal the land for their own company). It was a short, far-fetched plot as well, but tons of fun to write. Unfortunately, I don’t have either in a format I could send to you. I would like to take a stab at more short stories in the future.

Do you have any short stories I could look at?

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@kb-writer: Well good job being smart instead¬†of diving head first after you dreams XD. I feel the same way about writing, probably not a good idea to go to college for it but still a great dream to persue (just not one to sake my future on XD) So no I’m actually not in college (yet!) I’m 17 but a junior not a senior cuz my family moved to New Zealand and I had to drop back a year cus our years and their years are staggered (their Christmas¬†is in summer! which is so weird XD)¬† I’m ‘studying’ alot of math and sciences (namely physics, chemistry, calculus and the oddball English of course : D)

Man I LOVE personality tests! its like having peoples minds turned into a book! (ok that sounded a little¬†creepy¬†XD) but if you dont know why someone does what they do all you have to do is look them up and that can be quite helpful XD. Out of curiosity, was your antagonist an INTJ? I’ve found my personality is like 80% of all villains¬†XD (so I wonder what that says about me!) Now before I reveal my personailys¬†flaws, I just want to say I wouldn’t¬†trade it for any other (except maybe¬†an INFJ… maybe XD) Seriously¬†you’ve got it off pretty well! Did you know my personality¬†type is so bad at understanding my own and other peoples emotions they gave me an emotions tab¬†NO ONE ELSE HAS! also one of my weakness¬†is, and I quote “clueless in romance” XD (which, honestly, I’m ok with : D) so ya, trust me when I say your personality is pretty great : D

Well not saying I dont want to read a short story where everyone gets covered in tomato juice but… maybe some of your other work may be better XD. Do you have anything else you could show me? And BTW you should totally take a stab at a short story! they’re so much fun! Ya I could show you one but on one condition. You have to promise not to say anything nice about it! Recently I’ve been realizing that a lot of times I write just to get praise instead of glorifying God which is a habit I don’t want to continue! so if my writings bad, feel free to tell me so and I’ll try and improve¬†and if its good then praise God! deal?

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@kb-writer, I do not remember how I came across Kingdom Pen, but that is how I came to know about S.E. And I agree, write for the glory of God!! (What other worthwhile purpose is there in life?) How many WIPs are you working on right now?

I have two in progress. And I write mostly historical fiction…

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Libby
    @libby

@kb-writer So sorry this took so long!¬† Life has been busy. ūüėČ

You asked me to tell you my favorite songs from my favorite bands?¬† Well, starting with Citizens and Saints, I love In Tenderness, Hail the King, and Made Alive.¬† Going on to King’s Kaleidoscope, 139, Grace Alone, All Creatures of Our God and King, and Jesus Paid it All. (the latter two are some of my favorite hymns in general :)) From the Grey Havens, I really like She Waits, Band of Gold, Far Kingdom, Inheritance, and Shadows of the Dawn – my personal favorite.¬† Their song, Jack and Jill also has some really¬† neat concepts, too.¬† From Coldplay, Viva la Vida, Sky Full of Stars, Something Just Like This, and Adventure of a Lifetime – also a huge favorite.¬† Finally, Leon Bridges.¬† I didn’t know he was a Christian, he writes secular music for the most part, but some of his songs talk about his faith and it’s really neat.¬† I love his song Flowers and also Smooth Sailing and Shine.¬† I forgot to mention Michael Bubl√©, but I love his songs, esp. Feeling Good, Sway, and Come Fly with Me – I think that’s what it’s called!¬† What about you?

Wow, that’s really neat that you’re still coaching.¬† I have not graduated, yet, and am still involved.¬† This year or next year I think will be my last.¬† We’re not sure yet, though.¬† Did you go to NITOC 2018?¬† Are you planning on going to NITOC 2019?¬† By the way, which club do you coach?¬† And are you planning on attending any Washington tournaments?¬† I’d love to see you there!

Also, I read through your other comments, hope you don’t mind, and noticed that you’re going into music?¬† That’s cool – I’m not quite sure, yet, but that’s partly the direction I would like to go into in college.¬† That or English.¬† And either one of those along with Biblical counseling.¬† I know that sounds like a lot, but I want to train ultimately so I can go on the mission field, here or internationally, and use my majors to share the Gospel.¬† It’s neat because all of my other siblings, who have graduated, are heading those directions, too.¬† My brother, Timothy, is headed overseas in Africa in January, my sister, Johanna, has worked in missions overseas in the Middle East, and my other brother, Benjamin, is studying to go overseas to Japan, where my grandmother lives.

Whew!¬† I know that’s a mouthful, but I wrote it all out and I don’t want to erase it. ūüėȬ† What about you?¬† Do you have any idea what you would like to be doing in the future?

@selah-chelyah
    Thank you so much!  I love that quote, too Рso awesome and true!

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@theinconcievable1

Sorry about taking so long to get with you. My computers been sort of glitchy and keeps deleting my posts.

Yay! I’m always glad when people understand my decision to not go to college right now. I’ve been surprised¬†by how much more acceptant people are now, though when I’m in a room full of piano professionals and tell them my plans, I get some funny looks.

New Zealand! How cool! I wish I could travel more, but so far I haven’t ever left the states. I dream of going to Europe one day, though. WHat’s your favorite thing about New Zealand? What’s been the biggest culture shock?

Haha! Your personality book thing is just a tad bit creepy. ūüėõ Just kidding! It is neet though. I made a goal to make my protagonist¬†in a book I’m working on totally opposite to me, and she ended up being an ISTJ (so, success!).

I need to run my antagonist through the test again to be sure (I was less sure about him as a person when I tested him), but he’s actually an ISFJ, and though I haven’t yet tested my other antagonist, I’m pretty sure he’s an extrovert. At least in one story, you don’t represent the face of evil. ūüėõ

After reading your post, I decided to give a short story a try, so I’m working on one now. As for a finished story, I have nothing short, but I do have my first draft for the 2nd book of the series I’m writing finished (yes, I started on the second book. It’s a mystery series, and I didn’t know if I would have enough background to make the first book before writing the second. They’re stand-alones, though (even though they have an overarching plot), so you can read the 2nd one without getting lost). If you want to read that to get an idea of my writing, I could send you a few chapters of that one (or the whole thing, if you’d like). I really need to find a few beta readers for it anyway to give me some critiques, so I’d love it if you want to take a look (though if you don’t, it’s no big deal).

My heart breaks a little on the inside at not giving you praise, but I can do that. I respect your desire to make sure God alone gets the glory in your work, instead of yourself (why wouldn’t we want that?). As a thought to mull over, it’s not a bad thing to get praise from others though. The Bible¬†frequently encourages believers to “build each other up” (1 Thes. 5:11), and I think this is one of the ways he has equipped¬†the body to do so. I totally understand if you need to avoid praise for a season (and quite frankly, what could be higher praise than hearing your audience give God glory when they read your work). I just don’t want you to feel it’s wrong to hear praise from others. All that is a detour though from my answer. I’d love to read your work, and I can keep it to God-glorifying and constructive criticism. Do you feel comfortable with hearing a few things you’ve done right, or would you like me to keep that to a minimum as well?

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@selah-chelyah

I have about… um… I think four works in progress, depending on how you define it. One of them is a completed first draft that needs a lot of editing, but I’m waiting to look at it until I finish the second WIP, which is my biggest one (and happens to be the first book sequentially, which is why I need to write it before editing the other one), and the 3rd book in that series (I’m trying to hold back on that one so I don’t get too ahead of myself). I also just started a short story set in a different world.

What are your WIP’s about? I’d love to hear about them.

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@libby

All Creatures of our God and King and Jesus¬†Paid it All¬†are beautiful hymns! I love hymns to pieces! Don’t get me started. ūüôā Now I need to listen to those.

Favorite songs from bands… well, it really depends on what season of life I’m in. With Casting Crowns, I’ve loved Praise you in this Storm and East is from the West (I think those are the official titles). My mom likes Michael Buble as well (I used to call him Michael Bubbly!). She has a Christmas¬†CD from him that we listened to a lot. From the Beatles, I like Blackbird¬†and While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and from Mercy Me I like I can Only Imagine.

Cool! Do you plan on going to NITOC this coming year? I will (yay!), but I didn’t get a chance to go last year. I wish I could go to a Washington Tournament and see you, but Washington is a bit too far from Arkansas to justify. ūüôā I coach a club called SOAR. I doubt you’ve heard of them. What club are you from?

That’s an awesome life plan! God bless you as you pursue that! I have thought about being a missionary, and particularly¬†felt like I would when I was younger. I just haven’t felt that’s what I should do now (I hope that’s not me being a coward, but God tugging me a different direction). I’d love to get married and start a family one day, but in the meantime, I’m very happy teaching music and expanding my reach into the community I live in though it. I have dreams of starting a music class for low-income kids in the community, starting a choir, playing piano for events, and writing my own lesson book¬†material for music teaching, among other things. Most of those are very far in the future, and right now I’m trying to cross my first hurdle (getting my certification and teaching the kids I’ve already got studying with me).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest