fb

Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

Hello!

I finally got up the courage to drop in and say something to you all. Can’t wait to get to know you more!

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kb-writer

Hey there! Welcome to Story Embers, we are so glad to have you here.

I go by Wordsmith. My writings are mostly short stories, though I’ve written one novella and am working on another novel/novella.

I prefer writing unconventional sci-fi, though I do enjoy fantasy as well.

What about you?

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

Hello Wordsmith!

Thanks for stopping by to say hello!

I’ve never been able to get a particularly great sci-fi idea, so it’s really cool that you do it! I enjoy writing poetry and longer stories. My current story is a mystery, though I jump genres a lot.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kb-writer

Poetry is legit!

And the reason I call my sci-fi “unconventional” is because many people might not consider it sci-fi up front. I also enjoy superheros.

What do you enjoy reading?

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@wordsmith

I do have fun with poetry (though I have a cache of really cringe-worthy ones I wrote when I was younger I haven’t had the heart to get rid of. Same with my depressingly-amateur story fragments). 🙂

Your writing sounds like fun! I sometimes write fantasy-ish writings (same basic idea. It doesn’t quite fit the stereotype of fantasy).

A better question would be what do I not enjoy reading. 🙂 Generally, if I find a well-written book, I will be hooked regardless of genre. I generally lean towards adventure stories with some level of realism, however.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kb-writer

Oh! Never get rid of those poems and story snippets! Please! Those can be the only thing that keep you going in a time of hardship. Almost anyone will tell you not to get rid of them.

And I like that answer for books… I need to use it, because really I’m mostly the same.

And if you’d like to read some of my stories here the link to my blog: TheBookshelfStaircase (older stories are at the bottom)

I hope you enjoy!

Libby
    @libby

@kb-writer Hey, so awesome to have you here! 🙂  Just barging into your previous conversation, I know what it’s like to read your own poetry from when you were little and cringe and turn the page for something better.  But I guess it’s those starters that get us to where we are now.
    I love poetry, too – both reading and writing it.  Do you have any favorite poets?

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@wordsmith @libby

Thanks for the encouragement about old snippets. You’ve now given me a good reason NOT to clear out my cluttery paper-mess. My sister won’t be happy, but I sure will. 🙂

Thanks for the blog-post, Wordsmith! I’ll be sure to read some of those when I have the time.

Favorite poets… Right off the top of my head I would name Robert Frost (I love the simplicity and sweetness of his poetry), Edgar Allen Poe (truly fascinating and gripping), all the writers of old hymns (I love flipping through a hymn book and reading the lyrics when I’m not next to a piano to play)… that’s all that comes to mind at the moment (I admittedly don’t have too much exposure to poetry. I seek it out when I find it because I love it, but don’t know very many good poets). What about you, Libby? What are some of your favorites?

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kb-writer

Cool! I memorized his song about stopping in the forest, a long long time ago. I don’t have all of it memorized still, but it wouldn’t take long to do again.

Libby
    @libby

@kb-writer I love Robert Frost’s poetry, too.  It just describes simple beauty in such a profound way.  My other favorite poets would be Robert Browning, William Wordsworth – I love She Was a Phantom of Delight, one of my favorite of his poetry – and Emily Dickenson.  Robert Louis Stevenson and Tolkien as poets write beautiful poetry as well.  I have a friend named Amanda who also just amazes me with her poetry.  If you want to read some of hers, you can read here.  My favorite of hers is Evening Glow.  I really didn’t know very many poets until someone else asked me the same question, and I was so surprised at the quality and beauty of their writings.
    Also, you play piano?  I just noticed that you said you like to play hymns on the piano – I think?  Or am I wrong?  By the way, I love hymns, too.  Do you have any favorites?

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@wordsmith

I love Stopping by Woods in a Snowy Evening (I think that’s the title). My favorite of his was “One step Backwards”, but I don’t have it all memorized anymore. I also liked “The road less traveled” and “Nothing Gold Can Stay”.

@libby

I need to read some of their poetry, then! I feel woefully unread in the poetry sphere. Though I will admit, Tolkien’s poetry in the Lord of the Rings trilogy was mesmerizing. I did enjoy it greatly. Your friend’s poems are amazing!

Yes, I play (and teach) piano and guitar. I’ve been playing piano for 8 years and guitar for 10 (though I mostly self-taught myself guitar, so I certainly don’t play with 10 years of skill). Don’t talk to me about it too much if you don’t want to unleash my inner music nerd 😛

Hmmm… I’m so bad at favorites! Off the top of my head, I love “Living for Jesus”, ” “It is well with my soul”, “Great is Thy Faithfulness”, “I’ll Fly Away”… Hmm… this is starting to look more like a list of hymns I know than favorites. I do love all of those! What about you? What are your favorites?

I had the privilege of being able to play the part of Fanny Crosby for a church play a few years back, and that’s when I really started to see the words in hymns as both poetry and music. It’s one of the many things God used to bring me into the joys of poetry.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kb-writer

Yeah!

Libby
    @libby

@kb-writer Please, talk as much as you want on music!  I love music!  I play the piano as well, coming up on my eleventh year.  As for guitar, I am trying to teach myself, but it’s getting harder to be consistent.  Hoping to have my younger sister teach the basics of violin to me someday, and I love to sing.  Do you have any favorite composers?  Songs?

I’m so glad you liked my friend’s poetry!  I met her from that website – ApricotPie.  It’s a homeschool writing website I’ve been apart of for a while, and it’s really helped me refine my writing skills and the people there support me a lot.  I know I get told by my friends that I say this too much, but you should join!

Wow, that’s so neat that you had that experience – playing Fanny Crosby in a play, that is.  I love her hymns.  Some of my favorite hymns would be “Great is Thy Faithfulness”, “Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery”, “While Shepherd’s Watched Their Flocks by Night”, “What Wondrous Love is This”, “Oh the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus” (both versions), and “When I survey the Wondrous Cross”.  Yes, like you, I could go on 😉

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@libby

Haha! This will quickly turn into a music discussion if we’re not careful!

Eleven years. Wow! That’s awesome! I was a little late getting started, but have enjoyed every bit of it (except practice, on some occasions). 🙂 I’ve never quite found a guitar method I like, so I’ve sort of created my own method when teaching it. If you want to drive across state lines every week and pay me, I’ll teach you! 🙂

I wish I could play Cello, Harp, sing at a quality above “in the shower”, and oboe, but so far I haven’t had the opportunity. I have been blessed with the opportunity to learn some percussion instruments, so I’ve been working my way through marimba (which is a beautiful instrument if you haven’t heard of it already), as well as a few others. I’m nowhere near a level of expertise there, but I’ve had tons of fun.

Oh no! Don’t ask me for more favorites! My favorite music period is probably the romantic era (by a small margin. I love them all!) and I particularly enjoy Liszt’s “Liebestram” (which I haven’t had a chance to play) and Chopin’s “Raindrop Prelude” (which I have played, and is still one of my favorites). I also love Bach’s Inventions, Lots of Debussy’s prettier pieces (provided you forget what an awful person he was), and on the opposite end of the spectrum had a blast learning a few of Joplin’s rags and Copland’s “Cat and Mouse”.

In terms of songs (you know the difference between songs and pieces? Songs have words whereas pieces don’t? It took me forever to get that in my head), some of my favorites to sing (other than hymns) would be “Moon River”, “Green Finch and Linet Bird”, all Phantom of the Opera music… yes, that’s all that comes to mind. I do like a few of the more modern songs as well, but generally not nearly as much as the older stuff (though my family and I slightly obsessed over the music in The Greatest Showman).

Hmm… I should look into ApricotPie. I keep learning about all these great groups I never knew of before! I’ve loved the God-centered fellowship with like-minded believers here at Story Embers, and it’d be great to have another avenue to experience that.

My younger brother’s favorite used to be “Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus”. We have a video of him singing it with his little voice (he now has a very deep one), and it’s adorable! Those are all beautiful, and now I feel the sudden urge to look up the ones I’ve never heard before. 🙂

This post seems too long. That’s the problem with a forum for lots of writers: posts are long and wordy. And it must be absolutely grammatically correct, or the writer’s legs will buckle with the shame, leaving them in a sunken heap on the desolate floor. 😛

Libby
    @libby

@kb-writer Marimba – that is so neat!  I know what it is and I love hearing it played, but I have never known anyone who plays it before.
    I would love to take guitar lessons from you and cross border lines and pay you!…as long as you would pay for the trip!;)
    I can’t believe I forgot!  Debussy is my favorite composer!  I love his Danse and Arabesque#1(both of which I have played).  But yes, he was not a great guy.  I actually got to study up on his life compared to Bach’s and how they affect their music.  It was fascinating, but also very saddening.  As for Chopin’s Raindrop Prelude, I have never heard it or played it.  I need to go look it up!  I love Liszt’s Liebestram, but only have sight-read through it – stumbling a lot. 🙂

I did not know the difference between song and piece, but I do now!  I guess my favorite songs would be from Beauty and the Beast, Fiddler on the Roof, and I love Blackbird.  Do you have any favorite artists or bands?

And I love your last paragraph.  It’s very true. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.