fb

Hello everyone! :)

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Emma
    @emma

Hello everyone! My name is Emma, and I’m very excited to be here!

First and foremost, I love my Savior, and my goal is to glorify Him with my life.

Secondly, I am a writer, but I’m not very good yet. I write primarily historical fiction, and the story I’m currently working on is set in America in the 1870’s and tells the tale of a family who moved West.

Other than writing, I love music (I play ten instruments ranging from violin to ukulele), books, kids, missions, and chocolate. 🙂

I’m looking forward to getting to know y’all and learn as much about writing and crafting stories as I can. 🙂

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@emma

Hey Emma!

Sorry for taking so long to step in.

My name is Wordsmith… I am a writer and enjoy playing my mountain ocarina. Chocolate is wonderful, though I can’t say I love it. Children on the other hand I must agree with you on. Missions are amazing (one of my older brothers is preparing to go on a year long internship in Peru), as are books.

I am the fifth of seven children and have three nieces and two nephews.

I write primarily sci-fi/superhero but will also write some fantasy. Historical fiction is something that I have never had interest in writing (I don’d read much of it), though I find many people who do.

It’s a pleasure to meet you, and I look forward to talking more 🙂

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

E. Grace
    @emgc

Hi @emma!

It’s wonderful to meet you. 😊

You play ten instruments?!?! That’s awesome! I play cello, piano, and am just starting violin.  Music is probably one of my favorite pastimes.  What other instruments do you play?

Historical Fiction is one of my favorite genres to read. Have you ever heard of G.A. Henty? I love his books! Especially, probably, “In Freedom’s Cause”. What books in particular do you like to read?

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

Emma
    @emma

Nice to meet you, @wordsmith! I just looked up mountain ocarinas, and I love the sound! I am going to have to get one of those and add it to my collection of random instruments. 🙂 That is super cool that your brother is about to intern in Peru! I went on a medical missions trip to Panama last year, and there were missionaries from Peru working with us. 🙂 And it is really neat that you write sci-fi/superhero. One of my younger sisters writes that genre, and loves it!

Emma
    @emma

Hi @EmGC! That’s awesome! I love cello! My youngest sister plays the cello! My main instruments are violin, piano, guitar, ukulele, and the others are mostly just for fun. I’m kinda obsessed. 😉 Which is your favorite instrument that you play?

I love G. A. Henty! My favorite is probably The Cat of Bubastes or The Young Carthaginian. Have you read anything by Lamplighter Publishing? I love many of their books! What are your favorite books? Favorite authors?

E. Grace
    @emgc

@emma

My favorite instrument would probably be cello- I love it’s high tones and low tones, it’s smoothness, and the feeling of the vibration of the strings against my bow… yeah, I’m a little obsessed too. 😉 But the instrument I’m (probably) best at would be piano- it’s a much easier to play instrument, and there’s a lot I can do with it.

Yes, I read lots of Lamplighter publishing! My favorite would probably be what they’re named after- “The Lamplighter”, by Maria S. Cummins.  And their audio adventures are fantastic as well! Have you ever listened to them before?

Well, I love Chronicles of Narnia… and some Dear America books… Mysterious Benedict Society…and a lot of others! Some of my favorite authors would probably be Chuck Black (his Knights of Arrethtrae series was great!), Trenton Lee Stewart, Mrs. O. F. Walton, Annette Lyster, A.L.O.E., Elizabeth Prentiss, and a little more recently, K.M. Weiland.  Yeah, I have quite a few… who are your favorite authors?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by E. Grace.

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

@emma Hello fellow Emma! 😉 We have some similarities in loving chocolate, kids, writing, books, and music. I am planning to major in piano performance in college, and I also love to sing and play handbells on the side.

I’m not that good at writing either…but I’m learning a lot. Your story sounds cool!

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. 🙂 https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Libby
    @libby

Hi @emma,

It’s so awesome that you joined!  First off, I have to say that I love music, too.  I only play piano, recorder, and a bit of guitar, apart from singing, but it’s neat that you have so many that you play.  I also love historical fiction – I both read it and write it.  Sorry for barging in to your other conversation, but I just have to say that I, too, love Lamplighter books and G. A. Henty. (Cat of Bubastes and In the Reign of Terror are my favorites).  Have you ever heard of Bethlehem Books?  They have amazing books – historical fiction mostly – and I love them a ton.

It’s so cool that you have a heart for missions.  That’s something God has been teaching me lately, and I would be excited to hear more from you about it! 🙂

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

@emgc Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, and the Dear America books were my childhood–I’ve read them all at least ten times respectively. I also read a lot of Lamplighters when I was younger. Have you read Stepping Heavenward by E. Prentiss? It;’s one of my favorites.

I discovered the Mysterious Benedict Society books last year and I absolutely LOVE them. Have you read The Candymakers by Wendy Mass? It’s also super cool.

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. 🙂 https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Libby
    @libby

By the way, @emma-starr, that is so cool that you are planning on majoring in piano performance.  My goals are very similar. 🙂  And it’s neat that you love singing and handbells because, well, that sounds exactly like what I love.  What colleges are you looking at?

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

@libby A kindred spirit! 🙂 *virtual hug* I’m planning on going to St. Mary’s College of Maryland. They have a great music program, and I already take from the artist-in-residence, Brian Ganz. (Look him up on youtube–pure genius!!!) What about you?

Libby
    @libby

@emma-starr 😀 I’m smiling really big right now.  I’m looking at a couple different colleges.  The Master’s University in California and also Union University in Tennessee.  The Master’s University is where my brother is going right now and it also has a wonderful music program.  Union University has a great focus on Christ and also has a pretty good program for music as well.  I’m still looking into things right now, but hopefully we’ll be deciding soon.  Of course, first choice would be Master’s. 😉  What are your favorite pieces?  Who are your favorite composers?

E. Grace
    @emgc

@emma-starr That’s great! Stepping Heavenward is my mom’s favorite, so she had each of me and my sisters read it for school. And now it’s one of my favorites!

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of The Candymakers, but maybe I should look into that! Did you read The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict? It’s also amazing.

How long have you been playing piano?

@libby
    In The Reign of Terror is another one of my favorite G. A. Henty books! Have you ever heard of Heirloom audio? They’ve made a lot of G. A. Henty books into audio adventures, and they’re really good!

@emma
    I forgot to mention that Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris is another one of my favorite books! Have you ever read it?

@libby Sounds like some good options! The school I’m going to is very liberal, but I’m doing dual enrollment for all the core classes, so I’ll only be taking music classes while I’m there. (It’s also REALLY close to me, so I’ll be able to live at home.)

Favorite composers: Bach, Scarlatti, Satie, Ravel, Chopin.

Well–I have waaaaay too many favorite pieces to list, but here are a few that come to mind: Pavane for a Dead Princess by Ravel (#Collard), the French Suites by Bach (#GlennGould), Sonata K. 208 by Scarlatti, The Lark by Glinka, (#Kissin) Bolero by Chopin. (#Rubenstein)

My teacher actually specializes in Chopin, and he dedicated (recently) 10 years to playing all of Chopin’s works and performing them. It’s so cool to hear all his lesser-known pieces. (like the Bolero)

Same questions back at you! And what are you currently playing?

Looking over this I realize I kinda went crazy with the parentheses… *facepalm*

@emgc Same! My mom loved it and passes it on to me. Yes, I have! I LOVE that book. I’ve been playing piano for 7 years. 🙂

Oh yeah!!! It’s so helpful and inspiring…I read it every once in a while when I get in a rut to help me do hard things again. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.