fb

Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone!

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Oh, that’s interesting! Most Adventists actually do not eat meat or dairy because Ellen G. White (our founder and prophetess) warned against it. I rank among the Adventists who take a more relaxed view – I do eat meat, but not very often, and keep the dairy in moderation. I believe Sister White was speaking of her specific times, as back in the 1800s many foods were not safe to eat at all.

That’s so interesting!

I’m a bit curious about Purim. Doesn’t it have something to do with Queen Esther? XD I don’t know much about the Jewish holidays.

It’s the celebration mentioned in Esther 9:17-19 and 9:27. It celebrates the day that the Jews were not massacred. (Odd how often that happens, it’s the exact reason behind Chanuka too XD)
    It usually includes reading the book of Esther, giving charity, giving gifts, and celebrating in general.

We personally don’t celebrate it because though it is mentioned in the bible, it isn’t commanded. There’s nothing wrong with celebrating it though 🙂

I actually don’t remember reading these specific dietary laws. The ones I remember best are the ones from Leviticus. This is really interesting! I think most Adventists just believe all vegetables are created equal. (Mushrooms are vegetables, right? XD)

They are XD Most Messianics don’t have any issue with it, but some people interpret it differently.

The next most crucial point is that Adventists do not believe in the doctrine of eternal hell. We believe that the wicked are destroyed in a single instant from the face of the earth, as God is a God of love and He would not make them suffer for eternity. Of course He is a just God too, but justice is made perfect when the wicked die and remain totally dead. It wouldn’t be justice if they went on living in hell.

We personally don’t believe that, but it’s interesting!

Another important point is that Adventists don’t believe in heaven immediately after death. Instead, you stay dead with your soul resting in Jesus until the day He comes to take you to heaven. Then the dead in Christ rise from their graves and those remaining on the earth are caught up to meet them with the Lord in the air.

Yep, that’s what we believe too!

Next, Adventists believe Ellen G. White was the “spirit of prophecy” spoken of in Revelation 19:10. God gave her many visions during her lifetime and she also did miracles. Each one of her prophecies came true. While she isn’t a divine authority and certainly not equal to the writers of the Bible, she was an anointed prophetess, and her words remain a guide for the church.

I’ve heard of her but I’ve never read any of her work. That’s interesting, what are some of her main teachings?

Then we believe that the Day of Atonement began on October 22, 1844, when God entered the Most Holy Place of His Temple and began looking through the record books of everyone who has ever lived. Jesus stands before Him, in the place where we should be, and is even now interceding on our behalf. We don’t know when Day of Atonement will be over – when it is, Jesus will come. That’s another reason we put a lot of emphasis on the Second Coming.

The “Pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib” is a very common discussion in the Messianic community XD One of those things nobody really agrees on, though I think the majority think the tribulaton is still coming. (Though it’s close! *Gestures vaguely at the entire world in general*)

I’m curious, why do you believe it started on that specific date?

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

It’s the celebration mentioned in Esther 9:17-19 and 9:27. It celebrates the day that the Jews were not massacred. (Odd how often that happens, it’s the exact reason behind Chanuka too XD)
    It usually includes reading the book of Esther, giving charity, giving gifts, and celebrating in general.

We personally don’t celebrate it because though it is mentioned in the bible, it isn’t commanded.

Oh, nice! That makes sense.

I’ve heard of her but I’ve never read any of her work. That’s interesting, what are some of her main teachings?

Ooh, cool! So basically Ellen G. White was God’s chosen messenger to proclaim truths about the Sabbath and the Second Coming to the world. Some of her main teachings include:

– The importance of the seventh-day Sabbath and why Christians should cherish its observance

– Humans are not immortal (only God is immortal), and thus only the saints are granted immortality at the resurrection of the just.

– There is no place called hell (hell is the agony of being eternally separated from God and literally dead); rather, the wicked are totally destroyed at the end of time.

– God entered the Most Holy Place on October 22, 1844 (Day of Atonement); we do not know when Day of Atonement will be over, but when it is, Christ will come.

A couple fun facts about Sister White:

– She was an abolitionist! During the Civil War, she was shown several visions about the evils of slavery and racism. She actively supported the abolitionist movement.

– During one of her visions, she held an extremely heavy Bible above her head (with her arm extended upward) for the entire duration of the vision (which lasted several hours). There’s actually a museum where you can go see that Bible! I want to see it someday.

If you want to check out some of Sister White’s writings, I 100% recommend starting with The Desire of Ages, one of her most famous works. I also enjoyed Story of Hope. There’s also Testimonies for the Church, which is where she recorded many crucial instructions for the SDA church. I haven’t read Testimonies yet (except for bits and pieces); I really need to read it soon!

The “Pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib” is a very common discussion in the Messianic community XD One of those things nobody really agrees on, though I think the majority think the tribulaton is still coming. (Though it’s close! *Gestures vaguely at the entire world in general*)

Haha, yeah! XD

I’m curious, why do you believe it started on that specific date?

Adventists believe it started on that specific date because of the prophecy of Daniel: “And he said to me, ‘For 2,300 evenings and mornings. Then the sanctuary shall be restored to its rightful state'” (Daniel 8:14). In Biblical prophecy, days (evenings and mornings) represent years. So the timing is 2,300 years. Scholars have identified the exact date of Daniel’s writing, and when you add 2,300 years to that, you get October 22, 1844.

Fun fact: a group of early Adventists (then called Millerites) misinterpreted this prophecy and thought it meant that Jesus would be returning on October 22, 1844. So they sold everything they had and waited in eager anticipation on that day. Needless to say, they were deeply disappointed when Jesus did not come. That day is called the Great Disappointment.

O that you would realize that each moment is golden. - Ellen G. White

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Ooh, cool! So basically Ellen G. White was God’s chosen messenger to proclaim truths about the Sabbath and the Second Coming to the world. Some of her main teachings include:

– The importance of the seventh-day Sabbath and why Christians should cherish its observance

– Humans are not immortal (only God is immortal), and thus only the saints are granted immortality at the resurrection of the just.

– There is no place called hell (hell is the agony of being eternally separated from God and literally dead); rather, the wicked are totally destroyed at the end of time.

– God entered the Most Holy Place on October 22, 1844 (Day of Atonement); we do not know when Day of Atonement will be over, but when it is, Christ will come.

That’s so interesting! She sounds like an amazing person 🙂 I’m curious, you mentioned before that you do believe in heaven, but not in immortality after the resurrection. So do you believe everyone except the saints will become mortal again after being resurrected? So everyone will die twice, but the second death is eternal? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding, I’ve never heard about this before 🙂

Also, who do you believe count as saints?

Adventists believe it started on that specific date because of the prophecy of Daniel: “And he said to me, ‘For 2,300 evenings and mornings. Then the sanctuary shall be restored to its rightful state’” (Daniel 8:14). In Biblical prophecy, days (evenings and mornings) represent years. So the timing is 2,300 years. Scholars have identified the exact date of Daniel’s writing, and when you add 2,300 years to that, you get October 22, 1844.

Fun fact: a group of early Adventists (then called Millerites) misinterpreted this prophecy and thought it meant that Jesus would be returning on October 22, 1844. So they sold everything they had and waited in eager anticipation on that day. Needless to say, they were deeply disappointed when Jesus did not come. That day is called the Great Disappointment

Oh, that’s interesting! Yep, miscalculation of the second coming is a universal thing XD I know the Messianics have had it like… five times in the past ten years. Not universally, just like a handful of people who picked a date XD And that’s when Mark 13:32 and Matthew 24:36 come up XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

I’m curious, you mentioned before that you do believe in heaven, but not in immortality after the resurrection. So do you believe everyone except the saints will become mortal again after being resurrected? So everyone will die twice, but the second death is eternal? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding, I’ve never heard about this before 🙂

No problem, happy to explain! 🙂

So basically. When people die, they just remain sleeping in the ground until Jesus comes at the first resurrection. At the first resurrection, the dead in Christ rise first and meet Him in the air. Then the dead unbelievers rise and watch as the righteous dead are taken to heaven. When Jesus and His people disappear in the clouds, the wicked die again. This is the first resurrection (and the first death as well, for the wicked.)

The righteous spend 1,000 years in heaven, and at the end of the 1,000 years, they return to earth with Jesus, Who calls the wicked back to life and they rise from their graves. (This is the second resurrection.) Satan deceives them into attempting to take possession of the Holy City – an effort which is unsuccessful, of course. Jesus closes the gates. The wicked then see the glory of the saints, listen to their songs, and watch as the story of salvation is replayed before their eyes (Jesus’ life, crucifixion, resurrection from the tomb, and ascension to heaven). At the end of all this, they fall down and worship Jesus as Lord, including Satan – but their evil characters remain unchanged. After they bow down to Jesus, He destroys them all instantly – the second death.

How the whole mortal/immortal thing works is that all humans are mortal beings, so only God can bestow the immortality that He Himself possesses. He gives this immortality to the righteous at the first resurrection. The wicked are not granted immortality, which means they stay mortal – which consequently means they die forever at the second death.

Hope this all made sense! I’m not so good at explaining at times XD So let me know if anything’s unclear!

Also, who do you believe count as saints?

Good question! We believe that each person who believes in Jesus is a saint.

Yep, miscalculation of the second coming is a universal thing XD I know the Messianics have had it like… five times in the past ten years. Not universally, just like a handful of people who picked a date XD And that’s when Mark 13:32 and Matthew 24:36 come up XD

Exactly, haha! I think the problem does come in when people begin to think they can foretell the exact day of the Second Coming, when the Bible makes it clear we know neither the day nor the hour. So it’s probably good we bring up those two verses! XD The thing is that God entered the Most Holy Place in 1844, but we don’t know when the Day of Atonement will be over. That’s why they say, always be ready. XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Hope this all made sense! I’m not so good at explaining at times XD So let me know if anything’s unclear!

No, that makes sense! That’s an interesting interpretation! I’m not positive how it lines up with Messianic interpretations, so I can’t give you a comparison, but I think it’s pretty close, since that seems to line up with the bible!

Good question! We believe that each person who believes in Jesus is a saint.

Yep, that’s what we believe too!

I’m actually surprised how much Seventh-day Adventism and Messianic Judaism line up! It’s more than I thought!

Exactly, haha! I think the problem does come in when people begin to think they can foretell the exact day of the Second Coming, when the Bible makes it clear we know neither the day nor the hour. So it’s probably good we bring up those two verses! XD The thing is that God entered the Most Holy Place in 1844, but we don’t know when the Day of Atonement will be over. That’s why they say, always be ready. XD

Exactly, odd how easily people forget those two verses XD I think it’s because we want some sense of control of when we need to be ready, which we can’t have, and it makes people nervous XD

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

I’m actually surprised how much Seventh-day Adventism and Messianic Judaism line up! It’s more than I thought!

Same here! I definitely think that Adventists share many more beliefs with Messianics than we do with other denominations.

Exactly, odd how easily people forget those two verses XD I think it’s because we want some sense of control of when we need to be ready, which we can’t have, and it makes people nervous XD

Haha, very true! I guess humans kind of need to relinquish our desire for control in general and just let God handle things.

By the way, I love your new profile picture and the quote in your signature. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Same here! I definitely think that Adventists share many more beliefs with Messianics than we do with other denominations.

Exactly! It was really interesting learning about it from you!

Haha, very true! I guess humans kind of need to relinquish our desire for control in general and just let God handle things.

I couldn’t have said it better! He knew what He was doing when He hid that knowledge 🙂

By the way, I love your new profile picture and the quote in your signature.

Thank you! I’m really happy with how my profile picture turned out! I just love the general aesthetic of it!

And the quote is a snippet of song from my WIP! I only have a few lines so far:

““With the sunshine, shadows will come, and light seems far,”
    “Without darkness, there is no light.
    If there was no nighttime, would the dawn be as bright?”

I can’t get it any further than that XD But it’s enough for the purpose! The few lines actually just came to me like that. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve sleepily reached for a notepad next to my bed because I had an idea while I was trying to fall asleep XD

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

I couldn’t have said it better! He knew what He was doing when He hid that knowledge 🙂

Yup!

Thank you! I’m really happy with how my profile picture turned out! I just love the general aesthetic of it!

It looks AWESOME!

And the quote is a snippet of song from my WIP! I only have a few lines so far:

““With the sunshine, shadows will come, and light seems far,”
    “Without darkness, there is no light.
    If there was no nighttime, would the dawn be as bright?”

That’s so beautiful! *places hand over heart* I need to write a song for a WIP someday…

I can’t count the amount of times I’ve sleepily reached for a notepad next to my bed because I had an idea while I was trying to fall asleep XD

I always spend thirty minutes lying awake imagining scenes for my WIP. 😂 #relatableauthorstruggles

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Sorry my replies have been slow, NaNo is really proving to be a lot XD I can’t wait till it’s over but I’m glad I did it!

It looks AWESOME!

Aww, thank you!

That’s so beautiful! *places hand over heart* I need to write a song for a WIP someday…

LOL, it’s really hard XD I have several snippets of songs, but I haven’t managed to write a full one yet. I do want to though, but I’ve never tried anything like this before.

I always spend thirty minutes lying awake imagining scenes for my WIP.   #relatableauthorstruggles

LOL, SAME! I do that all the time, the time before I fall asleep is how I’ve plotted my entire third book XD I practically only had to copy my phone’s notes and organize them and now I have to fill in a few gaps and work out the details. Instead of the usual downright painful brainstorming, I already did it XD It’s delightful!

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention that I loved your post on Kingdom Pen! It was really cool!

And I can’t wait to see where Moonlyte Uprising is going!

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Sorry my replies have been slow, NaNo is really proving to be a lot XD I can’t wait till it’s over but I’m glad I did it!

No problem at all! And HUGE congrats on doing NaNo! *gives you a high five*

LOL, SAME! I do that all the time, the time before I fall asleep is how I’ve plotted my entire third book XD I practically only had to copy my phone’s notes and organize them and now I have to fill in a few gaps and work out the details. Instead of the usual downright painful brainstorming, I already did it XD It’s delightful!

That sounds so amazing! *sighs* I wish I could plot entire books like that.

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention that I loved your post on Kingdom Pen! It was really cool!

Thanks a bunch! It was really fun to write.

And I can’t wait to see where Moonlyte Uprising is going!

Thanks! Just posted the second part of the NaNo linkup, actually.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

No problem at all! And HUGE congrats on doing NaNo! *gives you a high five*

Thanks! I actually just finished my second draft today! LOL, I always forget that I really don’t like finishing projects. Like… what am I supposed to do with my life? XD There’s always like thirty seconds of relief and then overwhelming melancholy XD

That sounds so amazing! *sighs* I wish I could plot entire books like that.

Tbh, plotting the whole book like that was an accident XD

Thanks! Just posted the second part of the NaNo linkup, actually.

Cool! Sounds like you had a lot of fun with it! Are you going to post it on your blog?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Thanks! I actually just finished my second draft today! LOL, I always forget that I really don’t like finishing projects. Like… what am I supposed to do with my life? XD There’s always like thirty seconds of relief and then overwhelming melancholy XD

Wow CONGRATS!! *cheers super loudly, throws confetti, and cuts you a slice of your favorite cake*

Aw man, I’ve been working on my project for so long now, I think I’d be ecstatic about finishing the first draft of the first book in the series. XD But don’t you worry – there’s always editing!

Cool! Sounds like you had a lot of fun with it! Are you going to post it on your blog?

I did! I probably won’t post the actual story on my blog, but I did include a couple snippets in Part Two of the linkup that I posted a few days ago.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Wow CONGRATS!! *cheers super loudly, throws confetti, and cuts you a slice of your favorite cake*

Aw man, I’ve been working on my project for so long now, I think I’d be ecstatic about finishing the first draft of the first book in the series. XD But don’t you worry – there’s always editing!

Thank you!

Yes, exactly, I’m always a bit sad when I have to put a draft on hold but I’ll get back to it soon! And in the meantime I can work on the next volume! It’s always a bit different, but at least I still get to see my characters!

I did! I probably won’t post the actual story on my blog, but I did include a couple snippets in Part Two of the linkup that I posted a few days ago.

Yep, I read it and it sounds like so much fun! If you ever want to get back to working on it and you need beta-readers… please? *puppy eyes*

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

And in the meantime I can work on the next volume! It’s always a bit different, but at least I still get to see my characters!

And maybe introduce a few new ones, too? (Which begs the question – do you think new characters should be introduced in each new book of a series? For my St. Paul series, there definitely will be a few new characters added in each book, just ’cause the Biblical account calls for it. XD)

Yep, I read it and it sounds like so much fun! If you ever want to get back to working on it and you need beta-readers… please? *puppy eyes*

Thanks!

Haha, we shall see…

But in other writing news, I’m planning to start working on the first book in my St. Paul series in mid-December! I ordered some New Testament study books so I can do serious research. I hope I can begin making some good, steady progress.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest