fb

Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

WOAH! Your findings are so cool! That’s especially awesome that nuns wrote.

And oh my goodness, I just searched up Onfim. That is just ADORABLE. I love how the drawing is so scribbly!

I know right! It’s the cutest thing, little kids’ drawings haven’t changed at all!

Another very cool thing I found was how scribes used to embellish their writing. I don’t mean the fancy illuminations, though those are lovely, but I’ve seen pictures of little doodles they made while testing their pens.

Pen testing texts are always hilarious because it’s basically whatever popped first into their mind. Several examples that they’ve found: “I am very cold” “The ink is thin” (Complaints about parchment and ink were very common) “Writing is excessive drudgery.” Basically lots of complaints. Though, the oldest Dutch text ever found was a little song-lyric a scribe scrawled in the margins!

And they used to embellish holes by drawing around them. For example, they’d draw a face and leave the hole as a mouth or a cave with the hole as an opening. Or they’d just sew it together. But often they’d use bright colored threads and pretty stitches. I think it’s so pretty that once upon a time, hundreds of years ago, someone decided to make this little useless thing pretty, even though only a few people would ever see it.

Why have I done so much research about medieval manuscripts? Acyn, one of my characters, is a scribe’s apprentice and then I got distracted by researching it XD

And yeah, history in general and the medieval era, in particular, are my favorite rabbit-holes XD

By the way, is there a specific reason you chose to name your character Liorah? First of all, I love the name, and second, while searching for names for my two newest TAS characters, I came across Liorah in the Hebrew girl names list. It means “light unto me” and does originate from Hebrew. So pretty!

Aaah! Someone figured it out! Yes, actually! Well, not at first. At first, it was just a nice-sounding name that was easy to pronounce. (Unlike some others. I’ve mentally pronounced Acyn at least four different ways XD) (Also, fun fact, I almost named her Ivanya. But I’m glad I didn’t, I really love Liorah as a name!)

But as I kept writing I started weaving more and more light and dark symbolism into the story, so it gets a lot of meaning throughout the story. (But only if you know to look for it. 😉 ) I use the ‘Be the light of the world’ passage as inspiration and worked a lot of stuff around that.

I pick my character names on a lot of factors. I try to have characters from the same tribe have similar language origins. The Lehabim mostly have Hebrew names. (Which is a pain since most girl’s names end in -ah and most boy’s names end in -el XD)

The Nebatan has similar-sounding names but they’re often closer to English names. Like ‘Faye’ ‘Sage’ and ‘Juniper’. (Geographically, they’re way further north and had a lot of cultural drift from nearby and there was a large wave of immigration from a ‘European’ country etc. etc.)

For the Kezbes I often go to Turkish names because they just sound so cool!! I don’t know why, they’re just really awesome and unusual names. Like ‘Lachlin’ ‘Kongar’, and ‘Darya’.

I also have a lot of Arabic names sprinkled in completely at random, purely because they’re pretty. ‘Sahar’, ‘Acyn’ and ‘Ziyad’ are all Arabic. (Though Sahar is actually also Hebrew! It means dawn in Arabic but moon in Hebrew!)

It’s definitely not limited per tribe, I have some people who randomly have names from other countries because it worked better, (Chantara is a Thai name) but I tried to make them have the same aesthetic.

And… I kinda just do it randomly, often. XD I sometimes work with meanings, but not a lot.

How about you? What’s the naming process for you?

Haha, I love it! Same here. I find myself relating to Paul on a lot of issues too, actually, lol. Mainly his guilt over his past – which is actually what I enjoy portraying most in TAS. Seth, his adoptive nephew, gets all the anger, impatience, and frustration I struggle with. XD And Reuben, the elder (biological) nephew, gets the doubt and skepticism. Ariella, the newest addition, gets the struggle between forgiveness and vengeance. (Her name used to be Keziah, but I renamed her. XD)

Ooh, all those names are lovely! (I actually have a friend named Keziah, it’s such a pretty name!)

I actually find projecting stuff like that onto my characters helps me work through it. I guess it gives you a lot more perspective, and it just makes your writing feel much more authentic. I can very often tell when an author was writing from experience because it feels so much more raw and detailed. (Good authors can fake that pretty well, but with less practiced ones it’s easy to see which are based on real-life experience.)

For instance, just the other day, I was referencing something in the first chapters of my second book. (Which I wrote… last November? I think?) And I read a few snippets of dialogue, and I was kinda shocked at how dark and hopelessly depressed it was. I knew those were my depressive feelings Liorah was expressing, but I guess I hadn’t completely realized it at the time. Always very funny when that happens XD

Ooh, the struggle between forgiveness and vengeance is the theme of my second book! It was very fun to write about because it’s such a multi-faceted subject! There are so many sides to it and it just stays complicated no matter how you twist it.

Every motivation counts! And I believe God grants motivation, so if you were motivated to write, He’s got a plan for that. If it involves publication or if it doesn’t.

Thank you, I hope so <3

I totally get that. I won’t be ready to publish my Biblical fiction for a very long time. Right now is the time God is teaching me to wait, be patient, and just to enjoy the ride. It’s completely okay if you’re not planning to publish, and like I mentioned before, God has a plan for every writer that may or may not be publication. As for me, I had much different plans for my writing before God changed it all, and I’ve still got lots to learn

That’s awesome! I guess learning as you go along is just a part of the journey!

I’m not planning to write full-time, either (another reason I’m considering self-publishing much more seriously). I may be looking very far into the future, lol, but I feel called to a divinity degree and full-time ministry. I believe God is calling me to keep writing a part of my life, but not as a full-time career.

That’s amazing! I think what I love about writing is that you can keep it as a hobby without any guilt because you don’t have to pay for materials LOL XD And looking far into the future is a good thing!

I love how Temira’s POV provides that closer perspective. It’s the most important thing that fuels TAS. Paul’s sister’s POV shows the very down-to-earth, intimate, relatable side of him (he was an actual human being, after all! XD). Of course, Paul is St. Paul to us, but to Temira he is just Paul her brother. She sees him as a normal little sister would see her big brother. XD She does revere him greatly, but she is not in awe or fearful of him. He’s her brother, and will always be just that first and foremost to her.

I think that’s what I’ve always loved about Biblical fiction! It makes them feel like people, and it makes them far easier to connect to. They can feel awfully distant at times XD

I think Paul less than others, maybe because of the medium in which his books were written. They were just meant for a small community, and you can kinda see that it was dictated instead of written down. It’s more stream-of-consciousness and more personal than many of the other gospels. It makes it interesting to read 😉

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Rose.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@joy-caroline

Hi Joy,

I would be pleased to add you to the list of future beta or alpha readers, though. I appreciate all willing feedback!

Yes, please do!

Here is the link to the self-publishing packages at WestBow Press. Link

I went with the “Bookstore Advantage”.

My current blog site is in my profile here on Story Embers.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

Thank you so much for sharing!

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
    All the lights are misty in the river

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

First off, I’m so sorry that my replies will probably be getting kind of sporadic. I started school this past Monday, and things are getting busy, so I don’t have as much time as I used to. But I love chatting on here with you, so I don’t want you to think that because I don’t reply for a while, it’s ’cause I’m ignoring the notifications or anything like that… Anyways. XD

Pen testing texts are always hilarious because it’s basically whatever popped first into their mind. Several examples that they’ve found: “I am very cold” “The ink is thin” (Complaints about parchment and ink were very common) “Writing is excessive drudgery.” Basically lots of complaints. Though, the oldest Dutch text ever found was a little song-lyric a scribe scrawled in the margins!

Haha, that’s hilarious! I bet their parchment and ink wasn’t always of the best quality. A song-lyric is much more cheerful!

Why have I done so much research about medieval manuscripts? Acyn, one of my characters, is a scribe’s apprentice and then I got distracted by researching it XD

I TOTALLY relate to that!

Because St. Luke was a physician, and he’s obviously a side character in TAS, I dove into research about ancient Greek physicians and their methods, beliefs, etc. One of the subplots in TAS is about Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” (which I assigned as a recurrent illness), and Luke treats him. As a result of my research, I learned tons of interesting (and perhaps somewhat disturbing XD) facts about ancient doctors. My friends won’t let me eagerly share my knowledge with them, LOL, and they ask me why I read about such things. I tell them I’m a writer. XD

But as I kept writing I started weaving more and more light and dark symbolism into the story, so it gets a lot of meaning throughout the story. (But only if you know to look for it.   ) I use the ‘Be the light of the world’ passage as inspiration and worked a lot of stuff around that.

I pick my character names on a lot of factors. I try to have characters from the same tribe have similar language origins. The Lehabim mostly have Hebrew names. (Which is a pain since most girl’s names end in -ah and most boy’s names end in -el XD)

Oh, that’s such beautiful symbolism! I love books with themes of light and dark. It’s awesome that Liorah gets a name that hints at a theme. That’s truly awesome.

I find it so cool how you look for unique names from different origins for your different tribes! Your worldbuilding must be very fun to write!

Oh yes, -ah and -el. XD A while ago I considered changing the spelling of Temira’s name to Temirah, but I decided I highly preferred Temira. I also very briefly gave thought to calling her Zemira, which is also a Hebrew girl name, but no more than a second of thought. XD Zemira just doesn’t fit her character at all. She can never be anything but Temira to me! XD

How about you? What’s the naming process for you?

I found Temira’s name by googling “Hebrew girl names” and looking through several lists before landing on Temira. I thought it was just such a pretty, unique name that fit her sweet, gentle character so perfectly. Funny fact though, the meaning itself doesn’t fit her. Temira means “tall” in Hebrew, and my little Temira is very small. XD

If the character is Hebrew, I’ll search “ancient Hebrew names,” or “ancient Jewish names.” If the character is Gentile, I’ll search “ancient Greek names” or “ancient Roman names.”

For Paul’s two nephews, Reuben and Seth, the naming process was the most interesting of all. Both their names are super symbolic – the most symbolic in the novel.

Reuben means “behold, a son” and was chosen by Leah for her first son because the Lord had removed her shame and Jacob would love her more because she bore him a son. Part of Temira’s backstory is that she was unable to have children, and was abused by her husband, so when she finally had a son she called him Reuben.

Seth means “anointed; compensation” and is symbolic because he ends up being both anointed by God and compensation for Paul and Temira. Anointed because he saves Paul’s life, and the entire Roman Empire in the process! And as for the compensation part, I can’t reveal that because it would be a spoiler. XD

I actually find projecting stuff like that onto my characters helps me work through it. I guess it gives you a lot more perspective, and it just makes your writing feel much more authentic. I can very often tell when an author was writing from experience because it feels so much more raw and detailed. (Good authors can fake that pretty well, but with less practiced ones it’s easy to see which are based on real-life experience.)

I agree. A writer who knows something personally and intimately will make their empathy shine through. It’s like being able to help a friend through a tough time because you went through something similar. Like if you hadn’t gone through something similar, you would still care and try to help, but it would be tougher to understand at times.

Ooh, the struggle between forgiveness and vengeance is the theme of my second book! It was very fun to write about because it’s such a multi-faceted subject! There are so many sides to it and it just stays complicated no matter how you twist it.

That’s awesome! With Ariella, she’s a good person at heart who loves Christ, but vengeance is her demon. Her story breaks my heart!

I think that’s what I’ve always loved about Biblical fiction! It makes them feel like people, and it makes them far easier to connect to. They can feel awfully distant at times XD

I think Paul less than others, maybe because of the medium in which his books were written. They were just meant for a small community, and you can kinda see that it was dictated instead of written down. It’s more stream-of-consciousness and more personal than many of the other gospels. It makes it interesting to read

I know, right!? I want to write Biblical fiction that helps people to know the figures of the Bible intimately and as they were – real people just like us.

I love how personal Paul’s books are! He was so passionate and raw in everything he wrote. It really makes his tenderness shine through.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

First off, I’m so sorry that my replies will probably be getting kind of sporadic. I started school this past Monday, and things are getting busy, so I don’t have as much time as I used to. But I love chatting on here with you, so I don’t want you to think that because I don’t reply for a while, it’s ’cause I’m ignoring the notifications or anything like that… Anyways. XD

Don’t worry about it! Life happens, of course, I understand 😉 Best of success with school! I have about… two weeks of summer left before I start again. (Nope, not looking forward to it XD)

Haha, that’s hilarious! I bet their parchment and ink wasn’t always of the best quality. A song-lyric is much more cheerful!

LOL, exactly! Honestly, it isn’t so different from the sarcastic comments I write in my textbooks XD Humanity hasn’t changed at all XD

I TOTALLY relate to that!

Because St. Luke was a physician, and he’s obviously a side character in TAS, I dove into research about ancient Greek physicians and their methods, beliefs, etc. One of the subplots in TAS is about Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” (which I assigned as a recurrent illness), and Luke treats him. As a result of my research, I learned tons of interesting (and perhaps somewhat disturbing XD) facts about ancient doctors. My friends won’t let me eagerly share my knowledge with them, LOL, and they ask me why I read about such things. I tell them I’m a writer. XD

Ooh, that’s the coolest thing! Tell me the disturbing facts! *Leans forward with extreme excitement*

LOL, what are the weirdest things you’ve researched for your novel?

Here’s some off the top of my head: “Do cows vomit?” “What does a raven sound like when it imitates humans?” “What are the symptoms of broken ribs?” “How do you put in stitches?” All kinds of stuff about weaponry, medieval alchemy and chemistry, and a shocking amount about poisons. I’m relatively well-versed in those by this time XD (So much so that I get kind of mad when I see them in fiction because they’re always used wrong XD)

Oh, and some stuff requires hands-on research. My main character uses a sling? Nothing else to do except braid one and practice. (I actually figured out some pretty interesting stuff by trying it. For example, overhand, underhand, and around your head are all really tricky and you’re totally going to launch something in the wrong direction and the easiest way is by swinging the loaded sling in a flat figure eight in front of you.)

One of my main characters throws her wooden clogs at someone as an improvised weapon? I happen to own clogs, guess what I did? (Only hay bales were harmed in this exercise and I only lost one clog for a few months, but I found it again so it doesn’t matter XD) Fun fact, they’re heavier than they look and you can throw shockingly hard!

Yep, those are definitely the weirdest XD

Oh, that’s such beautiful symbolism! I love books with themes of light and dark. It’s awesome that Liorah gets a name that hints at a theme. That’s truly awesome.

Thank you! (LOL, that was totally accidental, but I’m really happy with it!)

I find it so cool how you look for unique names from different origins for your different tribes! Your worldbuilding must be very fun to write!

Ooh, it is! Thank you 🙂

Oh yes, -ah and -el. XD A while ago I considered changing the spelling of Temira’s name to Temirah, but I decided I highly preferred Temira. I also very briefly gave thought to calling her Zemira, which is also a Hebrew girl name, but no more than a second of thought. XD Zemira just doesn’t fit her character at all. She can never be anything but Temira to me! XD

I like Temira the most! It’s an awesome name, and the spelling is really cool! I think it suits her! Liorah’s name was originally spelled Leora but I didn’t like that. And because vowels are optional in Hebrew, I changed it a bit XD

I found Temira’s name by googling “Hebrew girl names” and looking through several lists before landing on Temira. I thought it was just such a pretty, unique name that fit her sweet, gentle character so perfectly. Funny fact though, the meaning itself doesn’t fit her. Temira means “tall” in Hebrew, and my little Temira is very small. XD

It’s awesome, I love it! Yep, meanings don’t always match up XD

Aww, smol Temira! That’s so cute <3 Faye is my five-foot-nothing smol character. Liorah is like… 5’10” or 5’11” and towers over everyone, even some of the male characters XD I don’t see a lot of that in fiction and I thought it was cool XD

It’s especially funny whenever Liorah and Faye have to go anywhere because Liorah always strides and is like a head taller than Faye so it’s a constant “Wait for me, I have little legs,” scenario and it’s so freaking cute XD

If the character is Hebrew, I’ll search “ancient Hebrew names,” or “ancient Jewish names.” If the character is Gentile, I’ll search “ancient Greek names” or “ancient Roman names.”

For Paul’s two nephews, Reuben and Seth, the naming process was the most interesting of all. Both their names are super symbolic – the most symbolic in the novel.

Aww, poor Temira! Those are awesome! I love how you chose those meanings!

I think the most symbolic character name is the main villain, King Hakan. Hakan is a Turkish name that means King. I named him King King. *Cough* Moon moon *Cough* XD I couldn’t resist, it just struck me as hilarious XD

I agree. A writer who knows something personally and intimately will make their empathy shine through. It’s like being able to help a friend through a tough time because you went through something similar. Like if you hadn’t gone through something similar, you would still care and try to help, but it would be tougher to understand at times.

Exactly! I must say, I love it when I notice that in books.

That’s awesome! With Ariella, she’s a good person at heart who loves Christ, but vengeance is her demon. Her story breaks my heart!

That’s so cool! Aww, I feel so sorry for her 🙁  Poor Ariella!

I know, right!? I want to write Biblical fiction that helps people to know the figures of the Bible intimately and as they were – real people just like us.

I love how personal Paul’s books are! He was so passionate and raw in everything he wrote. It really makes his tenderness shine through.

Exactly! That’s what I love about them too! It feels real and personal.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Don’t worry about it! Life happens, of course, I understand   Best of success with school! I have about… two weeks of summer left before I start again.

Thanks for understanding! Especially ’cause my reply is rather late again. XD Best of success to you, too!

Ooh, that’s the coolest thing! Tell me the disturbing facts! *Leans forward with extreme excitement*

Haha, so I’ll tell you a couple things I learned about ancient Greek doctors. (You asked for it. 😉)

Greek physicians believed a human body consisted of four humors, or substances that fueled the body’s function. The humors were black bile, yellow bile, blood, and phlegm. The basic idea was that you couldn’t have too little or too much of any one of the humors. It had to be a perfect balance. For example, they believed depression and other mental afflictions were caused by an excess of black bile. And if a patient had a fever, it meant they had too much blood. To solve these issues, the physicians would try to increase or decrease the amount of the given humor.

So if you had a fever, they would lacerate you with a scalpel or other tool and drain as much of your blood as they saw fit into a bowl. They even had live leeches, which they would dump all over you and let the parasites suck your blood. Doctors had faith in this old method because after bloodletting, patients would turn very pale and finally be able to sleep after they had been previously flushed and restless. Of course, they didn’t know that they were actually doing a ton of harm and the patient was actually losing so much vital fluids (why they were pale) and would lapse into a blood-loss-induced coma (why they suddenly “slept” soundly). More often than not, bloodletting not only caused severe pain, it killed patients.

The doctors would also administer emetics, a substance that caused the patient to throw up, to purge them of other issues. Again, this was extremely painful and exhausting, causing severe nausea and vomiting, causing patients to lose tons of fluid and weight until their body finally couldn’t take the torture anymore.

Yep. It’s not too pleasant. XD

LOL, what are the weirdest things you’ve researched for your novel?

So I had to research ancient Jewish torture (Mishnah Makkot was extremely helpful with this, although quite graphic, to say the least!). I’ve also researched, “Can a blow to the head kill you instantly?” “When did people begin using eating utensils?” “When was the term ‘okay’ coined?” (XD I kept making my characters say that until I realized “okay” is def not a word you use in Biblical fiction.) I’ve also researched pagan beliefs, the Greek pantheon of gods, the purpose of temples, and popular ancient Greek myths, mythology figures, explanations of natural phenomena, and their purposes. (Also, the Romanized versions of all these.)

Here’s some off the top of my head: “Do cows vomit?” “What does a raven sound like when it imitates humans?” “What are the symptoms of broken ribs?” “How do you put in stitches?” All kinds of stuff about weaponry, medieval alchemy and chemistry, and a shocking amount about poisons.

I’m not even gonna ask about the cow query. 😂 All those are awesome and pretty interesting!

Oh, and some stuff requires hands-on research. My main character uses a sling? Nothing else to do except braid one and practice. (I actually figured out some pretty interesting stuff by trying it. For example, overhand, underhand, and around your head are all really tricky and you’re totally going to launch something in the wrong direction and the easiest way is by swinging the loaded sling in a flat figure eight in front of you.)

One of my main characters throws her wooden clogs at someone as an improvised weapon? I happen to own clogs, guess what I did?

Wow, that’s commitment! R E S P E C T. I haven’t actually done any hands-on research. Braiding a sling sounds tough! Also, clogs do sound like an intense weapon. XD

I like Temira the most! It’s an awesome name, and the spelling is really cool! I think it suits her! Liorah’s name was originally spelled Leora but I didn’t like that. And because vowels are optional in Hebrew, I changed it a bit XD

Thanks! I think it does, too!

I personally like Liorah better than Leora. For another “L” name, I really like the name Lenore, as well.

Aww, smol Temira! That’s so cute <3 Faye is my five-foot-nothing smol character. Liorah is like… 5’10” or 5’11” and towers over everyone, even some of the male characters XD I don’t see a lot of that in fiction and I thought it was cool XD

It’s especially funny whenever Liorah and Faye have to go anywhere because Liorah always strides and is like a head taller than Faye so it’s a constant “Wait for me, I have little legs,” scenario and it’s so freaking cute XD

I knoww. She’s adorable XD

Ooh, I love to see a tall female character! You really don’t see that a lot. That’s a hilarious interaction between the characters! 😂

Hakan is a Turkish name that means King. I named him King King.

Oh my goodness, how funny! There’s a bit of irony in a name like that. LOL.

Exactly! I must say, I love it when I notice that in books.

Me too!

That’s so cool! Aww, I feel so sorry for her    Poor Ariella!

Same here. She’s a bit of an antagonist character, but I love her. I feel so empathetic toward her, and that’s what I want readers to feel as well. Ariella is meant to shed light on another part of Paul’s story, which really is awful when we’re willing to think about it. I find that lots of people kind of dismiss how Paul hurt so many people when he was a persecutor and just focus on his conversion. Don’t get me wrong, the conversion is beautiful, but the past still exists and we can’t just pretend it doesn’t. There are still people he hurt, and Ariella represents them. One of the biggest themes of TAS is redemption, so every major character provides a different outlook on the concept of redemption. There are so many sides and so many ways to approach that subject; it isn’t just black and white. Ariella’s character presents the question, “Can a person really be redeemed if they’ve done truly horrible things (like been a murderer)?” My purpose with her is to force readers to have to consider it for themselves, get them conflicted about it like, “Maybe Paul really does deserve to feel guilty and ashamed.” It’s absolutely fascinating.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Haha, so I’ll tell you a couple things I learned about ancient Greek doctors. (You asked for it.  )

Oooh! Cool! I did a bit of research about the different theories of healing around the medical times, and that was one of the most popular ones! What I find especially odd is that bleeding was in practice until Edwardian times. That’s a really, really long time!

As I mentioned, I did some research into the science of the middle ages in North Africa. They were way ahead of the Europeans in many aspects! The alchemists had already figured out the basics of how elements function, and there were extensive libraries, (like the Library of Alexandria, which in fact, did not burn.) higher education, and medical handbooks. They had a handbook about women’s health actually written by a female physician. (Massive improvement on the Victorians XD.)

Before I researched this, I didn’t even know female physicians were allowed, let alone recognized. (I know they weren’t allowed in Athens for a really long time.)

Anyway, fun stuff! I really enjoy researching it because I never learned this in school. Nope, that only covers Medieval Europe. XD

So I had to research ancient Jewish torture (Mishnah Makkot was extremely helpful with this, although quite graphic, to say the least!). I’ve also researched, “Can a blow to the head kill you instantly?” “When did people begin using eating utensils?” “When was the term ‘okay’ coined?” (XD I kept making my characters say that until I realized “okay” is def not a word you use in Biblical fiction.)

LOL, that’s an eternal problem in Fantasy and Biblical fiction. XD The only way to be completely accurate would be to write it in the original language, and that’s impossible XD

I struggled with this for a while, then decided to set rules for myself and stick to them XD “Okay” is fine, but I draw the line at “Yeah.” That’s not happening. (I have been sorely tempted to quote memes in my writing. Don’t ask XD)

I’ve also researched pagan beliefs, the Greek pantheon of gods, the purpose of temples, and popular ancient Greek myths, mythology figures, explanations of natural phenomena, and their purposes. (Also, the Romanized versions of all these.)

Ooh, that’s cool! I studied Latin a few years ago and I had to learn some of the mythology to understand what was going on. I didn’t particularly like it, though it was incredibly amusing to see how the Romans literally copied everything off the Greeks XD

They had no imagination and I hold to the fact that the Aeneid was fanfiction of the Illiad XD (The Aeneid was a nightmare to translate, I had a couple of pieces from it and it was awful XD)

I’m not even gonna ask about the cow query.   All those are awesome and pretty interesting!

LOL, I needed a character’s cow to get sick (For plot reasons!) and I needed to know. Fun fact! They can regurgitate, but they can’t vomit! (TMI, but I thought it was interesting XD)

Wow, that’s commitment! R E S P E C T. I haven’t actually done any hands-on research. Braiding a sling sounds tough! Also, clogs do sound like an intense weapon. XD

LOL, it was actually really easy, it only took me about half an hour to get a pretty decent one. I’m still useless with it, but now I know how it works, at least XD

Thanks! I think it does, too!

I personally like Liorah better than Leora. For another “L” name, I really like the name Lenore, as well.

Ooh, that’s really pretty! I’ve actually met people with that name… though I think it was spelled Leonoor but pronounced the same.

I knoww. She’s adorable XD

Ooh, I love to see a tall female character! You really don’t see that a lot. That’s a hilarious interaction between the characters!

You really don’t and I was missing it! They’re usually pretty tall, but not as tall as any of the male characters. And really short characters are also kinda rare!

I’m 5’10” and I used to feel really insecure about my height so it’s cool to see a really tall character that’s happy with her height 🙂 (She rather enjoys towering over people XD)

Oh my goodness, how funny! There’s a bit of irony in a name like that. LOL.

Exactly XD I actually have another character, Nebiah, who has some prophetic gifts. Guess what Nebiah means? Prophetess. XD I dearly enjoy irony XD

My purpose with her is to force readers to have to consider it for themselves, get them conflicted about it like, “Maybe Paul really does deserve to feel guilty and ashamed.” It’s absolutely fascinating.

That’s brilliant! *applause* I love it when you can present the opposite side of a problem and get your readers conflicted! It makes books so much deeper than when you have clear ‘good guys vs. bad guys’. I love to see that in books!

The opposite is when the main characters’ objectively bad actions are just brushed off or dismissed. That always makes me disconnect from them.

I think it’s really cool when you have at least one character presenting the opposite perspective, that makes it so much more interesting!

Oh, I might have told you already but I finished my first draft last week! It turned out to be much longer than I expected (120k) but I’m so happy with it! Now I can let it rest for a couple months while I revise book 1!

I actually want to write out some worldbuilding for book one, and start outlining book 3, so I have some direction. Anyway, I’m really glad I finished the first draft before my deadline!

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

What I find especially odd is that bleeding was in practice until Edwardian times. That’s a really, really long time!

Yup! Did you know that George Washington actually died because his physician bled him for a sore throat, and the loss of blood was just too much? It was not a good practice, needless to say!

Before I researched this, I didn’t even know female physicians were allowed, let alone recognized.

Me neither, actually! That’s interesting to learn!

LOL, that’s an eternal problem in Fantasy and Biblical fiction. XD The only way to be completely accurate would be to write it in the original language, and that’s impossible XD

I struggled with this for a while, then decided to set rules for myself and stick to them XD “Okay” is fine, but I draw the line at “Yeah.” That’s not happening. (I have been sorely tempted to quote memes in my writing. Don’t ask XD)

I know, right!? Haha, I just stick with “All right.” As you said, the only way to be totally accurate would be to do it in the original language. Yeah, nope. XD

Ooh, that’s cool! I studied Latin a few years ago and I had to learn some of the mythology to understand what was going on. I didn’t particularly like it, though it was incredibly amusing to see how the Romans literally copied everything off the Greeks XD

They had no imagination and I hold to the fact that the Aeneid was fanfiction of the Illiad XD (The Aeneid was a nightmare to translate, I had a couple of pieces from it and it was awful XD)

The Romans literally had no imagination, you’re right. XD They didn’t have copyright back then, though! XD I learned Greek mythology in school last year, too, and much of it is incredibly weird. (To put it mildly, lol.) We read pieces of the Iliad. I imagine the Aeneid would be quite difficult to translate!

LOL, I needed a character’s cow to get sick (For plot reasons!) and I needed to know. Fun fact! They can regurgitate, but they can’t vomit! (TMI, but I thought it was interesting XD)

Lovely. XD Well, cows do regurgitate their food and then chew it up and swallow it again. #grossfunfacts

LOL, it was actually really easy, it only took me about half an hour to get a pretty decent one.

Cool! What materials did you use?

You really don’t and I was missing it! They’re usually pretty tall, but not as tall as any of the male characters. And really short characters are also kinda rare!

I’m 5’10” and I used to feel really insecure about my height so it’s cool to see a really tall character that’s happy with her height   (She rather enjoys towering over people XD)

I get that. I’m taller than most of my friends, too. I think we need both more tall representation and short representation amongst characters.

Guess what Nebiah means? Prophetess. XD I dearly enjoy irony XD

I love ironic or symbolic names! XD

That’s brilliant! *applause* I love it when you can present the opposite side of a problem and get your readers conflicted! It makes books so much deeper than when you have clear ‘good guys vs. bad guys’. I love to see that in books!

Me too! I think it’s so important to remember that most of the time, people are not pure evil, and even if they do purely terrible things, “hurt people hurt people,” ya know? Aggressiveness, cruelty, and unkindness almost never is born out of nothing. They have a source of pain. I like how Ariella is not a typical antagonist because, actually, she is an extremely kind, faithful, and compassionate person. I feel we don’t see enough of that. At the same time, I do appreciate stories with purely evil villains and believe those are needed as well, because some people ARE pure evil. I actually wrote a blog post about it.

Who’s your favorite fictional antagonist/villain?

Mine is Javert from Les Misérables. He’s so fascinating because he is obsessed with upholding “God’s law” and banishing the slightest trace of evil. And God’s law and the banishment of evil are very good things, but Javert completely flips them and turns them into wickedness and cruelty. It’s hard to feel anything but dislike for him throughout the novel because he’s so harsh and unyielding in his persecution of Jean Valjean. But in the end, you feel terrible for him. His tragic end literally broke me. All his life he believes a lie that criminals are irredeemable and can never change. Then when he discovers it’s a lie, he can’t handle it and commits suicide. What makes it even sadder is that after his body is found, the news guesses he killed himself during “a fit of mental aberration.” Symbolic of how belief in the redemption of people is considered a mental issue.

Oh, I might have told you already but I finished my first draft last week! It turned out to be much longer than I expected (120k) but I’m so happy with it! Now I can let it rest for a couple months while I revise book 1!

I actually want to write out some worldbuilding for book one, and start outlining book 3, so I have some direction. Anyway, I’m really glad I finished the first draft before my deadline!

Oh my goodness, that’s AWESOME!!!! Congrats!!! *tosses confetti and hands you a slice of cake and a piñata* That’s incredible you finished before your deadline, too!!!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Yup! Did you know that George Washington actually died because his physician bled him for a sore throat, and the loss of blood was just too much? It was not a good practice, needless to say!

Totally! They had some really weird ideas about medicine. Still, it really puzzles me is that they used it for so long. You’d think they’d have figured it out by then XD

I know, right!? Haha, I just stick with “All right.” As you said, the only way to be totally accurate would be to do it in the original language. Yeah, nope. XD

LOL, exactly!

The Romans literally had no imagination, you’re right. XD They didn’t have copyright back then, though! XD I learned Greek mythology in school last year, too, and much of it is incredibly weird. (To put it mildly, lol.) We read pieces of the Iliad. I imagine the Aeneid would be quite difficult to translate!

Exactly! It was a part of oral storytelling to copy stories and change them a little. Interesting how that’s changed!

Incredibly weird is the only way to describe it XD Several things I have either said or thought while translating myths “He turned her into a what?” “I mean, I guess turning into a tree is one way to handle the situation.” “Wow, that’s gory.” “Did we really need the descriptions of every single dog? Really?” *While reading Icarus* “Splash, I guess.”

I find the myth of Icarus especially funny because it’s so dramatically unfeasible. Dismissing the entire fact that they were somehow able to make usable wings (??) the wax wouldn’t melt because the air gets colder as you go up, not hotter. It’s ridiculous XD

And the historians were even funnier because my textbooks literally said. “Yeah, no, it’s heavily biased and we can take nothing as fact, but it’s funny.” XD

Lovely. XD Well, cows do regurgitate their food and then chew it up and swallow it again. #grossfunfacts

Yep! And cows only sleep twenty minutes a day, and calves are way stronger than you think they are and they try to knock the bucket out of your hands and they try to suck your fingers if they’re little enough which is both adorable and disgusting XD

I was actually doubtful about that because of the four-stomach situation. I thought if they were able to regurgitate they could vomit, but apparently not.

Cool! What materials did you use?

…Bailing twine XD It’s what I had available and it worked better than I’d thought!

I get that. I’m taller than most of my friends, too. I think we need both more tall representation and short representation amongst characters.

Exactly! More diverse characters!

Me too! I think it’s so important to remember that most of the time, people are not pure evil, and even if they do purely terrible things, “hurt people hurt people,” ya know? Aggressiveness, cruelty, and unkindness almost never is born out of nothing. They have a source of pain. I like how Ariella is not a typical antagonist because, actually, she is an extremely kind, faithful, and compassionate person. I feel we don’t see enough of that. At the same time, I do appreciate stories with purely evil villains and believe those are needed as well, because some people ARE pure evil. I actually wrote a blog post about it.

Exactly! That’s it! I love antagonists who are just heroes on the other side of a problem. But pure evil is cool as well! I like all kinds of antagonists!

Oh, you have a blog? That’s awesome! What’s the URL? I’d love to read it if that’s okay!

Who’s your favorite fictional antagonist/villain?

Wow, Javert sounds amazing! That’s so complex and interesting!

I think… Conner from the False Prince series. He was a spectacular villain because he was so complicated. He nearly had me convinced that he was right a couple times.

He was doing all the wrong things for very solid, objectively good motivations. He was trying to prevent a civil war by running a scam where he brought an imposter prince to the throne. He had decided it was the patriotic thing to do, but his methods for going about it were so heartless and cruel. Cruel in the true sense of really not caring, not superfluously malicious. It was terrifying.

And you were never sure about his motivations because he kept saying that he was doing the right thing, but if he did get an imposter prince on the throne, he’d be ruling from behind it. So was he truly motivated for everyone’s good or did he just want the power? You’ll never know! XD

I think he worked so well because he was an awesome contrast with the protagonist, Sage. Conner was rich and noble, cold, calculating, manipulative, and had zero empathy for anyone else.

Sage was penniless, empathetic to a fault, and broke every rule in abandon to help others, he was incredibly reckless and didn’t really think about anything until after he’d done it. I think that was really cool because Sage was really easy to root for, even though he wasn’t a really likable person XD

Oh, another one is Prince Viridian from Letter For the King and Secrets of the Wild Wood. (Not the Netflix series, the books! They messed those books up again!) He was awesome because he… kinda seemed right. That was a spectacular use of foils. Man, I love those books!

Oh my goodness, that’s AWESOME!!!! Congrats!!! *tosses confetti and hands you a slice of cake and a piñata* That’s incredible you finished before your deadline, too!!!

Thank you!!! 😀

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

+1 vote for Connor as a great villain. Don’t mind me Joy, I show up in weird places. xD

Also, Rose, how long did it take you in months to complete your 120k first draft for your second book?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Hi Noah!

Also, Rose, how long did it take you in months to complete your 120k first draft for your second book?

I started plotting it in… October, and was definitely writing by early November last year, so that’s… 10 or 11 months! My writing productivity was kinda low this last year, but it’s done, I’m happy with it, so that’s all that matters!

Something I figured out in the last 30k was that editing as you write does not work for me. I used to write a chapter, and quickly edit it before I moved on. It broke my momentum and only caused me to overedit instead of actually fixing anything. I think my next manuscript will be way faster if I don’t do that. Yeah, random tip, I guess XD

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

That’s pretty good. Yeah, I never edit while on a WIP (here I am talking like I’ve been writing for years instead of 3 months xD), I just write. We’ll see how good I am at improving my prose this winter.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Wow, 90k in six weeks is amazing! *applause*

Yeah, I learned the ‘don’t edit’ trick a bit too late. I knew not to, but I am extremely stubborn and I thought it was working XD

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

*gives a deep bow

Why thank you miss Rose, but lets not talk about the quality of the writing. That’s not an important factor…xD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

*gives a deep bow*

Why thank you miss Rose, but lets not talk about the quality of the writing. That’s not an important factor… XD

Exactly, as long as it exists! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest