fb

Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

You might have told me already, but what draft are you on?

I’m on the second draft, but right now I’m doing a lot of preparation like character profiles and stuff. It’s quite exciting! I won’t be ready for beta readers for The Apostle’s Sister itself for quite a while, but I’m writing a prequel short story for one of the characters that I may ask for feedback on when I’m done if you’re interested. 😀

Exactly! Or even worse, when she’s “Not LIke OtHEr GiRls”. She’s so special and unlike the others, she isn’t at all shallow and she despises everything ‘other girls’ do. If a character does that, I instantly disconnect from her XD

SAME! I absolutely cannot STAND all those “nOt lIkE oThEr GiRlS” characters. XD Yeah, it’s so irritating!

The main story is centered around Ella and her friendship with a dreamy girl named Rose. (Guess where I got my username? XD)

Let me guess it’s from that character! 😉 That’s awesome!

Also, I love fashion history, and the author is a dress historian, so the dress descriptions are flawless.

I think what I loved most was the tone. You’d expect the story to be grim and hopeless, but it’s so alive and colorful and so hopeful. It doesn’t take anything away from how horrific the situation was, but the overall tone is so incredibly hopeful. It’s one of my favorite books of all time, I really loved it.

That book sounds wonderful! I’ll have to put it on my super long TBR. XD I’m gonna read Winter, White and Wicked by Shannon Dittemore next (it’s gonna arrive in the mail tomorrow), and then I have a few more to read, then I’ll read this one! 😀

O that you would realize that each moment is golden. - Ellen G. White

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

I’m on the second draft, but right now I’m doing a lot of preparation like character profiles and stuff. It’s quite exciting! I won’t be ready for beta readers for The Apostle’s Sister itself for quite a while, but I’m writing a prequel short story for one of the characters that I may ask for feedback on when I’m done if you’re interested.

Ooh, that’s so cool! I’d love to read it! Prequel short stories are extremely useful for solidifying backstory! In fact, I have a couple I’m thinking about writing down. (Once I feel like it XD)

Glad to see I’m not the only one who does the first draft and then spends months developing the characters before rewriting! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing and it does help so much. I have a much better idea of all my characters and that makes it so much easier to revise!

SAME! I absolutely cannot STAND all those “nOt lIkE oThEr GiRlS” characters. XD Yeah, it’s so irritating!

Ugh, yes! *eye roll*

That book sounds wonderful! I’ll have to put it on my super long TBR. XD I’m gonna read Winter, White and Wicked by Shannon Dittemore next (it’s gonna arrive in the mail tomorrow), and then I have a few more to read, then I’ll read this one!

Ooh, that book sounds cool! I readily admit, my book selection is based on covers, titles, blurbs, and recommendations XD (In that order XD) *Looks it up* OOooohHH! The cover is so pretty! That looks interesting, the idea for the setting sounds very cool. Tell me if you liked it!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Yay! I’ll let you know when I have that short story done, then. Prequels are a lot of fun – and really good for seeing the backstory play out in real time, that way it doesn’t seem so distant.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who does the first draft and then spends months developing the characters before rewriting! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing and it does help so much. I have a much better idea of all my characters and that makes it so much easier to revise!

TOTALLY! I just feel like I need to get to know my characters much better before I’m able to realistically write their story. The only thing about character profiles is that I plan out everyone’s motivation, desire, fear, flaw, lie, etc., and then I get overwhelmed with thinking I won’t be able to portray it so majestically in the actual story. XD

Winter, White and Wicked has been pretty good so far, although I’m only like 25 pages into the story. I don’t read a ton of fantasy (beyond Lewis lol), so it will be an interesting experience for me. I’ll definitely let you know when I’m finished if it’s something I would recommend!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Yay! I’ll let you know when I have that short story done, then. Prequels are a lot of fun – and really good for seeing the backstory play out in real time, that way it doesn’t seem so distant.

Totally! I actually have a bunch of backstories that may be fun to write– *Remembers how tragic almost all the backstories are.* Ummm, on second thought, I don’t think I can deal with that right now. XD I just want my characters to be happy and have nice conversations and eat cookies *I say while at least four of my characters are currently dying, injured, or both* XD

TOTALLY! I just feel like I need to get to know my characters much better before I’m able to realistically write their story. The only thing about character profiles is that I plan out everyone’s motivation, desire, fear, flaw, lie, etc., and then I get overwhelmed with thinking I won’t be able to portray it so majestically in the actual story. XD

Exactly! I can’t write them if I don’t know them! I do that too, and I often fill out a character arc sheet (That I adapted from a book XD).

I don’t like character questionnaires, they just kinda bore me XD Sometimes it helps to think about the questions, but I do not care about their favorite stuffed animal as a kid.

(Though sometimes my characters just randomly tell me stuff like their favorite color or favorite sound or something irrelevant, and then it gets worked into the WIP because I can’t waste that important information XD)

Something else I like to do is drop them into the character castles on here to develop them more, try out their backstories, and discover their voice. And sometimes I drop in two characters at a time to develop their relationship. It’s helped me a ton and usually helps me fall in love with writing the character even more.

Also, it’s just so much fun XD Where else would I be able to drop Liorah, my desert princess, into a sci-fi castle and have her turn summersaults in zero-gravity while taunting her brother? (I swear this actually happened.) And one of my villains, a highly-skilled assassin, recently got bitten by a goose. It’s chaos XD

And I totally agree with being afraid you won’t get it on paper the right way! That’s so hard! But you’ll get it and it’ll be even better than you imagined! <3

Winter, White and Wicked has been pretty good so far, although I’m only like 25 pages into the story. I don’t read a ton of fantasy (beyond Lewis lol), so it will be an interesting experience for me. I’ll definitely let you know when I’m finished if it’s something I would recommend!

Awesome! I enjoy fantasy when I can find a good one, but it’s kinda hard XD I don’t like reading books with magic (I just don’t like it) and it’s really hard to find any good fantasies without it. But some of my favorite books are fantasy and it’s still my favorite genre XD

Do you have any hobbies besides writing?

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

I just want my characters to be happy and have nice conversations and eat cookies *I say while at least four of my characters are currently dying, injured, or both* XD

SAAAME! *sobs* All my poor characters suffer so much!

(Though sometimes my characters just randomly tell me stuff like their favorite color or favorite sound or something irrelevant, and then it gets worked into the WIP because I can’t waste that important information XD)

I pretty much never figure out my character’s favorite color, LOL. When I think about it, I’m just like, “Ok maybe black ’cause their personality is a bit dark?” XD I think Temira’s favorite color would be green, though. She’s peace-loving and she strikes me as the kind of person who likes nature, so… green seems to denote both things.

Where else would I be able to drop Liorah, my desert princess, into a sci-fi castle and have her turn summersaults in zero-gravity while taunting her brother? (I swear this actually happened.) And one of my villains, a highly-skilled assassin, recently got bitten by a goose.

Oh, goodness! *wonders how a highly-skilled assassin could succumb to a goose*

But you’ll get it and it’ll be even better than you imagined! <3

Aw, thank you!

Do you have any hobbies besides writing?

I play fast-pitch softball. My position is pitcher and I love it. It feels awesome to strike someone out. XD

I love theology, too, and studying it a lot. I want to be a pastor when I grow up, so yeah, that’s an interest of mine. I enjoy being on ministry teams and class office at school.

I also sketch once in a while. XD

How about you?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

SAAAME! *sobs* All my poor characters suffer so much!

LOL, exactly! I both enjoy seeing them overcome hard things and feel extremely guilty about enjoying their misery XD

I pretty much never figure out my character’s favorite color, LOL. When I think about it, I’m just like, “Ok maybe black ’cause their personality is a bit dark?” XD I think Temira’s favorite color would be green, though. She’s peace-loving and she strikes me as the kind of person who likes nature, so… green seems to denote both things.

That’s so cool! I associate each of my characters with a specific color (For some reason? I don’t know why, except that I love color and I’m generally a pretty visual person XD)

Anyway, Liorah is all kinds of warm reds and oranges, Gavril is a very dark, kinda brownish burgundy color. Sahar is bright violet, and Faye (Oh, I don’t think I’ve mentioned her yet?) is a very soft, powdery green. She’s the nature girl, like Temira. XD

Oh, goodness! *wonders how a highly-skilled assassin could succumb to a goose*

LOL, don’t underestimate geese! They’re vicious little beasts XD

I play fast-pitch softball. My position is pitcher and I love it. It feels awesome to strike someone out. XD

I love theology, too, and studying it a lot. I want to be a pastor when I grow up, so yeah, that’s an interest of mine. I enjoy being on ministry teams and class office at school.

I also sketch once in a while. XD

How about you?

Ooh, that’s so awesome! It’s amazing that you feel called to be a pastor! Softball sounds really cool as well!

I draw too! Mostly digitally, but I’m practicing more with pencils as well. It’s my one true love besides writing XD (I drew my profile picture, it’s a concept for a character in a future book and just generally a cool design.) I’ve drawn my characters literally dozens and dozens of times XD

I have two horses, one of which I ride. (That’s the only sport I’m decent at XD) I sew, sometimes embroider, and do other handiwork like that. I’ve been playing the Celtic harp for about six years as well!

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

Sahar is bright violet, and Faye (Oh, I don’t think I’ve mentioned her yet?) is a very soft, powdery green. She’s the nature girl, like Temira. XD

Ooh, AWESOME! I think it’s cool how you figure out your characters’ favorite colors. I literally know no one’s favorite color except Temira’s. I guess Paul might be a blue person…? Idk. XD That subject doesn’t come up much in Biblical fiction. I don’t think I ever mention anyone’s fave color.

LOL, don’t underestimate geese! They’re vicious little beasts XD

Oh, dear. I guess they do have those sharp beaks.

It’s amazing that you feel called to be a pastor! Softball sounds really cool as well!

Thank you so much! 😊

I draw too! Mostly digitally, but I’m practicing more with pencils as well. It’s my one true love besides writing XD (I drew my profile picture, it’s a concept for a character in a future book and just generally a cool design.) I’ve drawn my characters literally dozens and dozens of times XD

Wow! How do you do your digital art? Is there a program you use? I’ve been wanting to get into that.

I have two horses, one of which I ride. (That’s the only sport I’m decent at XD) I sew, sometimes embroider, and do other handiwork like that. I’ve been playing the Celtic harp for about six years as well!

Horse-riding sounds like so much fun! I don’t know how, sadly. I don’t know how to sew, either, although I tried to learn when I was younger. I have a cousin who is a beautiful seamstress. She used to make me dresses and things when I was little, then miniature clothes for my dolls.

Ooh, then you might be interested to know that in my book, Paul is quite skilled with a lyre. XD I don’t know why, I just decided it would be fun to give him a musical talent. What’s funny is that Temira also happens to be musically inclined – she has a beautiful singing voice.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Ooh, AWESOME! I think it’s cool how you figure out your characters’ favorite colors. I literally know no one’s favorite color except Temira’s. I guess Paul might be a blue person…? Idk. XD That subject doesn’t come up much in Biblical fiction. I don’t think I ever mention anyone’s fave color.

Oh, I never mention it either, but for some reason, I just know that’s their favorite colors XD It’s actually really funny, when I finished the first draft, I knew nothing about my characters except their roles and some vague personality traits. Now, I could recognize any of my characters by their handwriting. Barely an exaggeration XD

Liorah has extremely messy scrawly handwriting, Gavril’s is more cursive than you’d expect but very neat and legible. Faye either writes very neatly or so illegible she can’t even decipher it herself. Sahar is the kind of person who dots her i’s with hearts or smiley faces and puts in unnecessary loops in weird places. Wait, why do I know all this? This is getting out of hand. XD

Oh, dear. I guess they do have those sharp beaks.

Admittedly, I just wanted to embarrass her XD I love her with a kind of horrified fascination. She’s one of the most interesting characters I’ve ever written and she gets like five scenes. XD She’s intriguing and definitely has some good in her, but she’s gotten extremely traumatized and messed up and completely denies the truth in every circumstance because she can’t bear it. She’s a fascinating villain.

Wow! How do you do your digital art? Is there a program you use? I’ve been wanting to get into that.

That’s awesome! I use Krita, which is a free PC program you can download on Krita. org  I love it with my whole heart and can’t recommend it enough. It has all the art features of Photoshop and is actually more intuitive and easier to use. And, it’s completely free and regularly updated and debugged.

If you have an Ipad, I’ve seen many artists sing the praises of Procreate. Instead, I use a drawing tablet, which is way cheaper. It just plugs into the computer and functions to move the cursor. (I don’t know how else to explain it XD)

I use the Wacom Intuos. (One of the smaller sizes.) If you’re looking for one of those, you have to make sure it’s pressure-sensitive. That’s how you get variation in brushes. It’s next to impossible to draw with a mouse. (Trust me, I’ve tried XD)

You can find lots of digital tutorials online that’ll show you the basics of digital art!

Horse-riding sounds like so much fun! I don’t know how, sadly. I don’t know how to sew, either, although I tried to learn when I was younger. I have a cousin who is a beautiful seamstress. She used to make me dresses and things when I was little, then miniature clothes for my dolls.

That’s such a nice memory! I’ve found I’ve incorporated a lot of my sewing skills into my writing, in a kind of weird way XD I do find myself regularly thinking about how the pattern pieces would fit together for this dress my character is wearing or which seams could have pockets or how this or that fabric drapes XD

And the horse riding is all over my manuscript, from center to circumference XD Most of my characters know something about horse riding (It’s a medieval desert, they need some method of transportation XD) But Liorah and Gavril are especially skilled.

Their tribe uses cavalry a lot more than others, and they both have horse sidekicks. XD (Not very subtly based on my own horses. XD) To have some fun with that, I also made Liorah excellent at trick riding, which makes for some very cool fight scenes. (And it horrifies the other characters, especially Faye who is timid around an animal larger than a cat.) Gavril is mentioned to be good at it too, but he doesn’t actually do it on-screen, as far as I remember.

Ooh, then you might be interested to know that in my book, Paul is quite skilled with a lyre. XD I don’t know why, I just decided it would be fun to give him a musical talent. What’s funny is that Temira also happens to be musically inclined – she has a beautiful singing voice.

Ooh, that’s very cool! I know next to nothing about the lyre.

Every time I’ve heard one I got mildly horrified because it sounds like a harp that’s rattling. XD It’s a beautiful instrument, it’s just unlike anything I’m used to and I’ve gotten used to detecting rattling while playing. (Basically, what happens when you get interference from your other fingers, or if your levers aren’t correct. It just gives a faint buzz.)

You also have a more limited range with the lyre. Or you might just have to retune more often? I don’t know, actually 🙂 The key difference I hear is that a lyre sounds… stringier? It sounds like a harp played close to the soundbox or a cross between a harp and a guitar. It’s a very cool sound!

It’s so cool that both Tamira and Paul are musical! That’s such an awesome thing for them to share! Sahar is the only musical one of my group. She has a lovely singing voice and she plays a string instrument called a rebab. Liorah is probably the least musical one, her singing voice is kind of a running joke. XD

Oh, I’ve been thinking about your WIP, (Quite a lot, actually. It’s just a really cool premise XD) I was curious to know which interpretation of Paul’s trade you chose, the tent-maker one or the tallit-maker one. Both are technically correct since we don’t have any more details to go on and it’s just different translations of the same word. Still, I was curious 😉

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

It’s actually really funny, when I finished the first draft, I knew nothing about my characters except their roles and some vague personality traits. Now, I could recognize any of my characters by their handwriting.

Haha, I’ve found character profiles SUPER helpful with that!

Liorah has extremely messy scrawly handwriting, Gavril’s is more cursive than you’d expect but very neat and legible. Faye either writes very neatly or so illegible she can’t even decipher it herself. Sahar is the kind of person who dots her i’s with hearts or smiley faces and puts in unnecessary loops in weird places.

XD I have never considered this for my characters. Probably ’cause they all write in Greek. Actually, it’s a funny thing that Temira actually knows how to write at all! Jewish women back then, as I’m sure you know, couldn’t get an education, so they certainly weren’t taught to write. Or read. But Paul believes they shouldn’t be deprived of knowing as much Scripture as they can, so he teaches Temira to read AND write. That ends up being super useful to her in ministry, ’cause she’s actually a kind of leader herself!

She’s intriguing and definitely has some good in her, but she’s gotten extremely traumatized and messed up and completely denies the truth in every circumstance because she can’t bear it. She’s a fascinating villain.

Ooh, she sounds like a super cool villain! The villain in the first part of my book is pure evil. XD He does the things he does partly because he’s always been jealous of his brother (who died years ago) and wants to take it out on his niece and nephew. Namely, Temira and Paul. XD The other part of his motivation is simply because he’s mad his nephew has turned into a “blasphemer” and wants to teach him a lesson.

I use Krita, which is a free PC program you can download on Krita. org

Cool! I’ll give it a try.

I use the Wacom Intuos. (One of the smaller sizes.) If you’re looking for one of those, you have to make sure it’s pressure-sensitive. That’s how you get variation in brushes. It’s next to impossible to draw with a mouse. (Trust me, I’ve tried XD)

I’ll have to look into that then! I won’t try to draw with my mouse. XD

I do find myself regularly thinking about how the pattern pieces would fit together for this dress my character is wearing or which seams could have pockets or how this or that fabric drapes XD

Wow, really? It’s always fun when we can use our real-life hobbies in our novels. Even better, giving one of our hobbies to a character. XD

Their tribe uses cavalry a lot more than others, and they both have horse sidekicks. XD (Not very subtly based on my own horses. XD) To have some fun with that, I also made Liorah excellent at trick riding, which makes for some very cool fight scenes. (And it horrifies the other characters, especially Faye who is timid around an animal larger than a cat.) Gavril is mentioned to be good at it too, but he doesn’t actually do it on-screen, as far as I remember.

That’s epic!! Horses are awesome animals. I love them. And I just live for animal sidekicks. You must let me read one of those trick riding fight scenes sometime. How fun that must be to write! But poor Faye. XD

You also have a more limited range with the lyre. Or you might just have to retune more often? I don’t know, actually   The key difference I hear is that a lyre sounds… stringier? It sounds like a harp played close to the soundbox or a cross between a harp and a guitar. It’s a very cool sound!

*realizes I’ve never actually HEARD anyone play a lyre, nor researched how it works* I think so far I only have like one lyre-plying scene, and I literally just describe that Paul strummed it, not a bunch of detail on the sound or anything. Lol.

It’s so cool that both Temira and Paul are musical! That’s such an awesome thing for them to share!

Maybe I need more musical scenes…

Sahar is the only musical one of my group. She has a lovely singing voice and she plays a string instrument called a rebab.

What’s a rebab? *looks it up* That’s a very unique-looking instrument! Kind of like a guitar, in a way?

Liorah is probably the least musical one, her singing voice is kind of a running joke. XD

Same, Liorah, same. *sad noises*

Oh, I’ve been thinking about your WIP, (Quite a lot, actually. It’s just a really cool premise XD) I was curious to know which interpretation of Paul’s trade you chose, the tent-maker one or the tallit-maker one.

Thanks so much! 😀 I’ve never loved a story like I love this one. Writing it is kind of my statement of faith since it’s actually the very first novel I’ve written with the intention of witnessing for Jesus and getting it published. I know this is the story He means for me to write.

I went with the tentmaker interpretation for my book. Research seemed to indicate that it was more likely.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

I have never considered this for my characters. Probably ’cause they all write in Greek. Actually, it’s a funny thing that Temira actually knows how to write at all! Jewish women back then, as I’m sure you know, couldn’t get an education, so they certainly weren’t taught to write. Or read. But Paul believes they shouldn’t be deprived of knowing as much Scripture as they can, so he teaches Temira to read AND write. That ends up being super useful to her in ministry, ’cause she’s actually a kind of leader herself!

LOL, all my characters probably have different writing systems too, this was just one of those random bits of information they threw at me XD

That’s so cool that Paul decided to teach her that! I’m actually just waiting for someone to point out that the literacy rate of my medieval characters is shockingly high. Ahaha, I have an entire essay on how literacy was actually way higher than we thought, almost 50%! (And the evidence we had that peasants did read and write) And since one of my characters is a scribe, and two others are royal, that’s a good explanation. XD

Ooh, she sounds like a super cool villain! The villain in the first part of my book is pure evil. XD He does the things he does partly because he’s always been jealous of his brother (who died years ago) and wants to take it out on his niece and nephew. Namely, Temira and Paul. XD The other part of his motivation is simply because he’s mad his nephew has turned into a “blasphemer” and wants to teach him a lesson.

She’s indeed awesome, but she only features in the second book.

Those kinds of villains totally have their place, and that’s actually a pretty solid motivation!

The main villain for the series, Hakan, is the king of an enemy tribe. His motivation is that his wife was killed in a war and he’s determined to make sure that there’ll never be another civil war. Mostly by causing one. Yeah, nobody else gets it either, but it makes sense to him. He’s very long-term focused, so he’ll willingly cause one war if it means there’ll be peace after that. He’s thoroughly messed up since he’s absolutely convinced that he’s the hero and the actual heroes are the villains.

I don’t know him that well yet. I’m interested to see how he turns out because I entirely despise him already. XD

Wow, really? It’s always fun when we can use our real-life hobbies in our novels. Even better, giving one of our hobbies to a character. XD

Exactly! One of my future characters (The lighthousekeeper’s daughter, if you remember her) is actually a seamstress, so that’ll be fun!

That’s epic!! Horses are awesome animals. I love them. And I just live for animal sidekicks. You must let me read one of those trick riding fight scenes sometime. How fun that must be to write! But poor Faye. XD

Samee!! Animal sidekicks are usually my favorite characters XD

I have written them, but they were all written while I was super inexperienced and had no idea what I was doing, so they’re kinda terrible XD I do look forward to rewriting them!

LOL, Faye gets spooked everything, especially near the beginning. She’s the shyest and most timid of all my characters. (Liorah absolutely scared her to death XD) Is Faye the character I relate to the most and the one that I project all my awkwardness and anxiety onto? NooOO, neVeR! Why would you think such a thing? XD

*realizes I’ve never actually HEARD anyone play a lyre, nor researched how it works* I think so far I only have like one lyre-plying scene, and I literally just describe that Paul strummed it, not a bunch of detail on the sound or anything. Lol.

LOL, YouTube is a lifesaver there! I usually look up both videos of experienced people playing it, and videos of beginners or instructional videos, just enough to get a feel for how the instrument works. It gives you a bunch of little details you can add that make it feel much more real! I had to do that with several different instruments XD

What’s a rebab? *looks it up* That’s a very unique-looking instrument! Kind of like a guitar, in a way?

Maybe? I know whenever I google it I get a lot of results for Rubab, which is a south-east-Asian instrument. I’d say the rebab is close to a violin, except it’s held vertically, only has two or three strings and the tension of the bow is regulated manually by pulling it tighter or looser. It has a very cool sound which was quite hard to describe!

Same, Liorah, same. *sad noises*

LOL, that was totally based on personal experience XD I find it especially amusing that Liorah has an awful voice and makes that everyone else’s problem by loudly singing entirely off-key whenever she likes XD I wish I had her confidence. XD

Thanks so much!   I’ve never loved a story like I love this one. Writing it is kind of my statement of faith since it’s actually the very first novel I’ve written with the intention of witnessing for Jesus and getting it published. I know this is the story He means for me to write.

I went with the tentmaker interpretation for my book. Research seemed to indicate that it was more likely.

That’s awesome! How many novels have you written (or started)? How are you planning to publish, traditionally or self-publishing?

Oh, that’s cool! That is the most common interpretation. It would totally work!

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

That’s so cool that Paul decided to teach her that! I’m actually just waiting for someone to point out that the literacy rate of my medieval characters is shockingly high. Ahaha, I have an entire essay on how literacy was actually way higher than we thought, almost 50%! (And the evidence we had that peasants did read and write) And since one of my characters is a scribe, and two others are royal, that’s a good explanation. XD

Yeah, I thought it’d be a cool detail if he decided his sister should be literate. XD

Wow, really? I always had the idea that like 99% of people in the middle ages had no idea how to read or write. Well, maybe 99% of peasants. The royals and scribes I thought probably did, except for women, but I’m not sure if women could be scribes? I don’t know much about medieval times, but it was definitely an interesting era!

The main villain for the series, Hakan, is the king of an enemy tribe. His motivation is that his wife was killed in a war and he’s determined to make sure that there’ll never be another civil war. Mostly by causing one. Yeah, nobody else gets it either, but it makes sense to him. He’s very long-term focused, so he’ll willingly cause one war if it means there’ll be peace after that. He’s thoroughly messed up since he’s absolutely convinced that he’s the hero and the actual heroes are the villains.

Eeek, he sounds intense! And freaky. XD He’s gonna be an interesting character to figure out, since as you said, you don’t know him that well yet. I have another character in TAS that’s sort of antagonistic (she’s the one whose brother was murdered by Paul), and I’m trying to figure her out. Maybe I’ll use tonight’s writing time to make a character profile for her.

Have you ever written an antagonistic character you actually DON’T hate, but kinda love? XD This is the kind of character she will be. I’m actually using her to create conflict in readers, providing them with a balanced view in regards to Paul. Also that she and Temira are parallel characters.

One of my future characters (The lighthousekeeper’s daughter, if you remember her) is actually a seamstress, so that’ll be fun!

The best thing is you’ll know all your facts exactly and won’t have to do tons of research. XD

Is Faye the character I relate to the most and the one that I project all my awkwardness and anxiety onto? NooOO, neVeR! Why would you think such a thing? XD

*sheepish laughter* Temira is actually the character from TAS I relate to the most, and I project TONS of my issues onto her. It ain’t so uncommon. *more sheepish laughter*

LOL, YouTube is a lifesaver there! I usually look up both videos of experienced people playing it, and videos of beginners or instructional videos, just enough to get a feel for how the instrument works. It gives you a bunch of little details you can add that make it feel much more real!

Ooh, I should look up some lyre vids on YouTube! I really should consider having just one more musical scene. That’s a great tip, thanks!

I’d say the rebab is close to a violin, except it’s held vertically, only has two or three strings and the tension of the bow is regulated manually by pulling it tighter or looser.

It did look a bit like a violin. But violins look a little like guitars, at least to me. XD I do not have much expertise in the realm of music.

LOL, that was totally based on personal experience XD I find it especially amusing that Liorah has an awful voice and makes that everyone else’s problem by loudly singing entirely off-key whenever she likes XD I wish I had her confidence. XD

I do that sometimes with my school friends, just to kid around. XD But I do wish I had an actually good singing voice! XD

That’s awesome! How many novels have you written (or started)? How are you planning to publish, traditionally or self-publishing?

So I started writing when I was four technically, but I usually tell people around seven or eight ’cause that’s when I started writing novels. Before then it was just short stories. My novels were always exactly 200 pages long, since I bought those college-ruled notebooks to write in, lol. I’d say I wrote about forty of those. The ones I was proudest of was a six-book series… literally about the characters in MarioKart. So just a fanfic, I guess. XD Besides that series (which I called Adventures on the Island), everything I wrote was about girls of around eleven or ten living in 1800s Anne of Green Gables towns. XD Then I wrote sequels where they met awesome dudes and got married. XD

The longest novel I ever wrote was 400 pages, which I penned when I was around thirteen. It wasn’t focused on God though, so I don’t have it anymore.

I’m not completely decided between traditional or self publishing. I always thought it would be traditional, but then I actually did research on that route. The main thing holding me back is that I’ve heard the publisher has the final say on changes to your novel, and you could get an editor who doesn’t agree with you on what the final product should be. So you could end up with your novel completely changed from how you wanted. My goal with TAS is to write what God leads me to, not what an editor or publisher wants. So I’ve actually started seriously considering self publishing. I’m not yet sure which way God wants me to go, so I’m basically waiting to see where He takes me!

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@joy-caroline

Hi Joy,

I would love to read some of your work. Do you ever share it with beta readers?  I have a particular affinity for the Apostle Paul.

I’m not completely decided between traditional or self-publishing. I always thought it would be traditional, but then I actually did research on that route. The main thing holding me back is that I’ve heard the publisher has the final say on changes to your novel, and you could get an editor who doesn’t agree with you on what the final product should be. So you could end up with your novel completely changed from how you wanted. My goal with TAS is to write what God leads me to, not what an editor or publisher wants. So I’ve actually started seriously considering self-publishing. I’m not yet sure which way God wants me to go, so I’m basically waiting to see where He takes me!

I had heard the same.  I wanted to retain the full title to my work and a better percentage so I am going the self-publishing route.  It is more costly on the front end, but not too far out.  I went with WestBow Press (a division of Thomas Nelson and Zondervan publishing). If you are interested, I can send you a link of the publishing packages available.

I hear Amazon is buying up books they don’t like and taking them out of print to forward a political agenda.  I don’t like that a bit, so I am avoiding them and their schemes.  Their publishing venue gives them too much control.  Read the fine print.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Yeah, I thought it’d be a cool detail if he decided his sister should be literate. XD

Wow, really? I always had the idea that like 99% of people in the middle ages had no idea how to read or write. Well, maybe 99% of peasants. The royals and scribes I thought probably did, except for women, but I’m not sure if women could be scribes? I don’t know much about medieval times, but it was definitely an interesting era!

Yeah, it was actually estimated that at least one person in every household could read, even among peasants. And as far as I know, nuns did also write. By medieval times, I’m pretty sure scribes mostly did administrative work and reproduced manuscripts. (Don’t quote me on this, I’m not sure XD)

Some of the most interesting evidence they found was a cooking book, dated to the late middle ages. What’s so interesting about that, obviously, nobility didn’t cook, and noble men certainly didn’t. So, the target audience must have been peasant women. Who could apparently read.

One of the most interesting findings I’ve read about is a series of birchbark found in Novgorod, Russia. It’s hundreds of texts (915 items in all) Notes, letters, and even a marriage proposal.

One of my favorites is a few drawings by a seven-year-old boy. There are bits of an alphabet in one corner, so he was apparently practicing writing, but he apparently got bored and started doodling. It’s adorable because the style is exactly the same as little children draw now. The eyes, the hands with too many fingers. I just think it’s adorable. (To find the texts, you can Google something like “Onfim texts” The boy signed his name as Onfim, so I think you can find them like that.)

What’s so interesting about this is that it more or less proves that peasants were definitely reading and writing, their texts just weren’t preserved. I thought this was really cool!

Eeek, he sounds intense! And freaky. XD He’s gonna be an interesting character to figure out, since as you said, you don’t know him that well yet. I have another character in TAS that’s sort of antagonistic (she’s the one whose brother was murdered by Paul), and I’m trying to figure her out. Maybe I’ll use tonight’s writing time to make a character profile for her.

Have you ever written an antagonistic character you actually DON’T hate, but kinda love? XD This is the kind of character she will be. I’m actually using her to create conflict in readers, providing them with a balanced view in regards to Paul. Also that she and Temira are parallel characters.

OOh, that’s awesome! Yes, antagonists can be awesome to pull your heroes back to earth. In my first book, most of the characters are antagonists in some way (Mostly because Liorah isn’t acting rationally or wisely and everyone is trying to talk sense into her XD) They can be so awesome!

The best thing is you’ll know all your facts exactly and won’t have to do tons of research. XD

Exactly! And even more, it gives me an excuse to research Edwardian sewing methods! XD

*sheepish laughter* Temira is actually the character from TAS I relate to the most, and I project TONS of my issues onto her. It ain’t so uncommon. *more sheepish laughter*

LOL, exactly! I spread my issues around fairly! Gavril gets perfectionism and overachieving, Liorah gets stubbornness and defiance, Faye gets timidity and shyness, Ziyad (another character of mine) gets anxiety XD I could go on like this, but they all get some messed-up-ness XD That makes it much more interesting to write XD

So I started writing when I was four technically, but I usually tell people around seven or eight ’cause that’s when I started writing novels. Before then it was just short stories. My novels were always exactly 200 pages long, since I bought those college-ruled notebooks to write in, lol. I’d say I wrote about forty of those. The ones I was proudest of was a six-book series… literally about the characters in MarioKart. So just a fanfic, I guess. XD Besides that series (which I called Adventures on the Island), everything I wrote was about girls of around eleven or ten living in 1800s Anne of Green Gables towns. XD Then I wrote sequels where they met awesome dudes and got married. XD

The longest novel I ever wrote was 400 pages, which I penned when I was around thirteen. It wasn’t focused on God though, so I don’t have it anymore.

It’s awesome that you’ve been writing so long! That’s amazing! I hated creative writing with a burning passion until about eighteen months ago XD

A friend actually inspired me to start writing. And I was getting extremely frustrated with returning books because they turned the wrong way in the middle. I basically decided the bar was so low that even I couldn’t write anything worse. And that was at the start of the ‘Rona, so I was bored.

My sole motivation was boredom and spite. LOL

I’m not completely decided between traditional or self publishing. I always thought it would be traditional, but then I actually did research on that route. The main thing holding me back is that I’ve heard the publisher has the final say on changes to your novel, and you could get an editor who doesn’t agree with you on what the final product should be. So you could end up with your novel completely changed from how you wanted. My goal with TAS is to write what God leads me to, not what an editor or publisher wants. So I’ve actually started seriously considering self publishing. I’m not yet sure which way God wants me to go, so I’m basically waiting to see where He takes me!

That’s amazing! I’ve never done much research into publication. I knew when I started that I wasn’t going to publish.  Mostly, I’m not happy with the quality of my work yet. I still have too much to learn and it’s not ready for publication. Also, it’s a trilogy, and that’s notoriously hard to sell as a debut if I was planning to publish traditionally.

Besides, I’m writing in a nonexistent genre XD It’s too Christian for a secular market, but it’s a fantasy, which you can’t really sell easily to a Christian publisher. (I have read only a handful of ‘Christian fantasy’ books and I disliked all of them. They really love the allegory, don’t they?) Besides, getting a book deal is a pretty big commitment, and I’m not planning to write full-time anytime soon.

This is just for me to have fun with and write down all the sarcastic comments I’m too shy to say irl XD

It’s so awesome that you’re going to publish! I’m sure it’ll do great, especially since it’s just a really cool premise! If I saw it in the store, I’d totally pick it up! It’d be awesome to see Paul from a closer perspective.

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

I would love to read some of your work. Do you ever share it with beta readers?  I have a particular affinity for the Apostle Paul.

I do sometimes! Just not for a while at the moment since I’m working on some major problems in the first chapters. I would be pleased to add you to the list of future beta or alpha readers, though. I appreciate all willing feedback!

I went with WestBow Press (a division of Thomas Nelson and Zondervan publishing). If you are interested, I can send you a link of the publishing packages available.

Sure! I’d like to look into it, if only to do research, because I’ve been thinking seriously of self-publishing lately.

I hear Amazon is buying up books they don’t like and taking them out of print to forward a political agenda.

Thanks for the information. I definitely need to do more research on Amazon publishing. I have a number of published friends, so I should ask them about their experiences.

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Yeah, it was actually estimated that at least one person in every household could read, even among peasants. And as far as I know, nuns did also write. By medieval times, I’m pretty sure scribes mostly did administrative work and reproduced manuscripts.

WOAH! Your findings are so cool! That’s especially awesome that nuns wrote.

And oh my goodness, I just searched up Onfim. That is just ADORABLE. I love how the drawing is so scribbly!

Yes, antagonists can be awesome to pull your heroes back to earth. In my first book, most of the characters are antagonists in some way (Mostly because Liorah isn’t acting rationally or wisely and everyone is trying to talk sense into her XD) They can be so awesome!

Antagonists are great. I’m so glad they exist in stories! XD Things just wouldn’t be complete without them.

By the way, is there a specific reason you chose to name your character Liorah? First of all, I love the name, and second, while searching for names for my two newest TAS characters, I came across Liorah in the Hebrew girl names list. It means “light unto me” and does originate from Hebrew. So pretty!

LOL, exactly! I spread my issues around fairly! Gavril gets perfectionism and overachieving, Liorah gets stubbornness and defiance, Faye gets timidity and shyness, Ziyad (another character of mine) gets anxiety XD I could go on like this, but they all get some messed-up-ness XD That makes it much more interesting to write XD

Haha, I love it! Same here. I find myself relating to Paul on a lot of issues too, actually, lol. Mainly his guilt over his past – which is actually what I enjoy portraying most in TAS. Seth, his adoptive nephew, gets all the anger, impatience, and frustration I struggle with. XD And Reuben, the elder (biological) nephew, gets the doubt and skepticism. Ariella, the newest addition, gets the struggle between forgiveness and vengeance. (Her name used to be Keziah, but I renamed her. XD)

It’s awesome that you’ve been writing so long! That’s amazing! I hated creative writing with a burning passion until about eighteen months ago XD

A friend actually inspired me to start writing. And I was getting extremely frustrated with returning books because they turned the wrong way in the middle. I basically decided the bar was so low that even I couldn’t write anything worse. And that was at the start of the ‘Rona, so I was bored.

My sole motivation was boredom and spite. LOL

Thank you!

Every motivation counts! And I believe God grants motivation, so if you were motivated to write, He’s got a plan for that. If it involves publication or if it doesn’t.

I’ve never done much research into publication. I knew when I started that I wasn’t going to publish. Mostly, I’m not happy with the quality of my work yet. I still have too much to learn and it’s not ready for publication. Also, it’s a trilogy, and that’s notoriously hard to sell as a debut if I was planning to publish traditionally.

I totally get that. I won’t be ready to publish my Biblical fiction for a very long time. Right now is the time God is teaching me to wait, be patient, and just to enjoy the ride. It’s completely okay if you’re not planning to publish, and like I mentioned before, God has a plan for every writer that may or may not be publication. As for me, I had much different plans for my writing before God changed it all, and I’ve still got lots to learn!

Besides, I’m writing in a nonexistent genre XD It’s too Christian for a secular market, but it’s a fantasy, which you can’t really sell easily to a Christian publisher. (I have read only a handful of ‘Christian fantasy’ books and I disliked all of them. They really love the allegory, don’t they?) Besides, getting a book deal is a pretty big commitment, and I’m not planning to write full-time anytime soon.

I agree with you on the Christian fantasy. I haven’t liked any of the ones I’ve read, besides Narnia and Jenna Terese’s Ignite. (Now those are more than quality reads.) I love allegory when it’s done biblically as in Narnia, but I feel that many Christian fantasy authors tend to miss the point. Just not my cup of tea, I guess!

I’m not planning to write full-time, either (another reason I’m considering self-publishing much more seriously). I may be looking very far into the future, lol, but I feel called to a divinity degree and full-time ministry. I believe God is calling me to keep writing a part of my life, but not as a full-time career.

This is just for me to have fun with and write down all the sarcastic comments I’m too shy to say irl XD

LOL, that’s awesome! XDD

It’s so awesome that you’re going to publish! I’m sure it’ll do great, especially since it’s just a really cool premise! If I saw it in the store, I’d totally pick it up! It’d be awesome to see Paul from a closer perspective.

Thank you so much! I appreciate that a lot! <3

I love how Temira’s POV provides that closer perspective. It’s the most important thing that fuels TAS. Paul’s sister’s POV shows the very down-to-earth, intimate, relatable side of him (he was an actual human being, after all! XD). Of course, Paul is St. Paul to us, but to Temira he is just Paul her brother. She sees him as a normal little sister would see her big brother. XD She does revere him greatly, but she is not in awe or fearful of him. He’s her brother, and will always be just that first and foremost to her.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest