fb

Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy
    So, I tried to reply to this twice and my computer swallowed both XD
    I find that keeping track of all your details throughout the series can be quite daunting… XD
    It is! I know my characters inside out, but the minutae of the political systems is impossible to remember XD

Wow, nice! I’ve actually never met anyone who’s read the whole Anne of Green Gables series like I have. It’s brilliant, although my unpopular opinion is that Anne gets a bit cynical and somewhat irritating throughout the series and other characters far outshine her *cough Susan cough* But they’re all such good books! I think I actually enjoyed Anne of Ingleside the least, mostly because the final chapters drag out a misconception Anne has about Gilbert that’s solved quickly (and unrealistically, I thought) at the end, and it left a sour taste. I would say that my favorites from the series are Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside. The Meredith children are beyond adorable. I also really enjoyed Leslie’s character in Anne’s House of Dreams.

Aww! “Mrs-Doctor-Dear!” XD I love Susan! I totally agree with you on Anne, I enjoyed her most before “Anne of Windy Poplars” though she was alright in “House of Dreams.” After that, the side characters rather take over, especially the kids! The Meredith children are awesome, and I love all of them, and Mary!

I adored Anne’s kids as well, especially Walter. *Trying to hold back tears* I loved him so much and then… Aaahhh!

I also really adored Captain Jim, Miss Lavender, and Miss Cordelia! Oh, I loved her! And I kinda want to live in a lighthouse now XD

I definitely recommend Esperanza Rising! It’s a really inspiring and eye-opening story about the discrimination and hardship Mexicans went through when they immigrated to the United States.

Awesome! I’ll put it on my to-read list! (It’s only a mile long XD)

I should check out Lynn Austin, then! Thanks for the recommendation!

It’s been a while since I read them, but I remember them as awesome! I loved Nehemiah and Ezra especially. Her books usually have at least two big subplots and a main plot that all ties together in the end. I love how human she made the prophets, as well. I really liked Nehemiah, maybe because he wasn’t exactly likeable XD She wrote him as driven and abrasive, trying to deal with trauma and dodge the politics at the same time.

I loved the subplots in both books. It was like three facets of the same story and it was masterfully executed, as far as I remember.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Oh, that happens to me a ton! XD

Yes! I love Susan, too! In my opinion, she’s the best side character in the entire series. I also love Miss Cornelia. And Captain Jim was so sweet. I also wanted to live in a lighthouse after reading that book!

Yeah, in the first three books of the series Anne is great, but after that she gets sort of colorless, except in Anne’s House of Dreams. I found her very compelling in that one. I love Faith the most of the Meredith children, mostly because she reminds me of myself lol. But Jerry is also hilarious, Una is sweet, and Carl brings much-needed optimism to the table.

Ahh, I loved Walter the most of Anne’s children! To be honest, I didn’t care much for Nan and Diana, but Shirley and Jem and Rilla are all awesome. (Especially Rilla.) I just loved Walter so so much and I can’t believe what happened. 😭 Why is it always our favorite characters who die?

Oh, you’ve definitely convinced me to read Austin’s Biblical fiction now. I’ve been struggling with the plot in my own Biblical fiction WIP, and studying how another author does it would probably be super educational. Thanks!

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
    All the lights are misty in the river

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Yes! I love Susan, too! In my opinion, she’s the best side character in the entire series. I also love Miss Cornelia. And Captain Jim was so sweet. I also wanted to live in a lighthouse after reading that book!

Exactly! I blame that book entirely for the fact that the MC of my next book I’m planning is a lighthouse-keeper’s daughter XD The side characters are totally awesome!

Yeah, in the first three books of the series Anne is great, but after that she gets sort of colorless, except in Anne’s House of Dreams. I found her very compelling in that one. I love Faith the most of the Meredith children, mostly because she reminds me of myself lol. But Jerry is also hilarious, Una is sweet, and Carl brings much-needed optimism to the table.

I loved Faith too! I related to Una most, but I loved Faith and the boys. They were all so much fun!

Ahh, I loved Walter the most of Anne’s children! To be honest, I didn’t care much for Nan and Diana, but Shirley and Jem and Rilla are all awesome. (Especially Rilla.) I just loved Walter so so much and I can’t believe what happened.  Why is it always our favorite characters who die?

Ooohhh, I know! He totally didn’t deserve it! I had just started shipping him and Una! I think that makes it so much sadder.

I think Nan and Diana had potential, but they barely got any screentime. The others carried much more of the story. I loved Rilla’s character development! I found her mildly irritating in the beginning, but I loved her by the end. Shirley and Jem were also awesome! I loved how different all Anne’s children were!

Oh, you’ve definitely convinced me to read Austin’s Biblical fiction now. I’ve been struggling with the plot in my own Biblical fiction WIP, and studying how another author does it would probably be super educational. Thanks!

Totally! Her plots were awesome and I totally need to reread and analyze them! I loved how the main characters were so different from each other. Nehemiah was determined to fix everything, immediately, while Ezra spent half of the book confused and the other half wondering what he got himself into. I don’t remember much about Zachariah. I read it a long time ago and I didn’t like it as much as the others.

And I loved the subplots in both! Ruben’s subplot in Ezra was awesome, but I really loved the ones in Nehemiah as well. One of them was about one of the daughters of Shallum, who helped build the wall. That passage always intrigued me, and I love how she wrote it.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Ooh, a lightkeeper’s daughter! I love it!

Oh my goodness, I was really shipping Walter and Una when he died. *cries* They would have been so cute together. He totally didn’t deserve it! He was the best of all the Blythe children.

I would agree. Nan and Diana just don’t get much development, which explains why I wasn’t too invested in their characters when they did show up. I kind of perceived them as the standard “perfect” girls of that time period, which was a bit annoying XD. Rilla was real and relatable, which is why I loved her. And yes – I definitely have to agree that all the children are so different and interesting!

Oh, wow. Ezra sounds relatable. XD I’m gonna order Nehemiah and see what I think of Austin’s writing style.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ooh, a lightkeeper’s daughter! I love it!

I think it’ll be cool! (Admittedly, a large amount of the things I write are only there for the aesthetic XD)

Oh my goodness, I was really shipping Walter and Una when he died. *cries* They would have been so cute together. He totally didn’t deserve it! He was the best of all the Blythe children.

Totally! I adored Walter and his struggles and character arc and even though someone spoiled me for his death, I was still heartbroken.

I would agree. Nan and Diana just don’t get much development, which explains why I wasn’t too invested in their characters when they did show up. I kind of perceived them as the standard “perfect” girls of that time period, which was a bit annoying XD. Rilla was real and relatable, which is why I loved her. And yes – I definitely have to agree that all the children are so different and interesting!

Totally! Nan and Diana felt a bit ‘cookie cutter’, unlike the others. And I totally agree! Rilla wouldn’t be as interesting if she wasn’t mildly annoying in the beginning XD

Oh, wow. Ezra sounds relatable. XD I’m gonna order Nehemiah and see what I think of Austin’s writing style.

Exactly XD I personally love the “I didn’t sign up for this” protagonist XD That’s awesome! I hope you like it!

What are some of your favorite tropes?

I love sarcastic or voicey narrators, animal sidekicks, desert settings, unconventional settings overall, mentor-mentee relationships, found family, and enemies-to-friends/lovers/siblings. And that’s just off the top of my head XD I can probably think of more, but I love these!

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Found family is definitely my top favorite trope! I also love animal sidekicks and desert settings. And mentor-mentee relationships. I just listed all of yours. XD

Hmm, some others I like are shy/antisocial protagonists (as long as it’s portrayed well), siblings who are best friends, the reluctant adoptive parent and mischievous adoptive child, the creepy and mysterious villain, and the villain with a tragic past.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Hmm, some others I like are shy/antisocial protagonists (as long as it’s portrayed well), siblings who are best friends, the reluctant adoptive parent and mischievous adoptive child, the creepy and mysterious villain, and the villain with a tragic past.

Ooh, those are awesome! Lemme see… I have all of those in my WIP, except for the reluctant adoptive parent and adoptive child. I will actually have an accidental adoption situation, but it isn’t really reluctant.

I also really love the siblings as best friends trope! It’s basically the driving force behind my entire series and it’s really fun!

Some more I thought of are melodramatic characters, (Like, intentionally, not as bad writing), girly-girl characters who aren’t treated as shallow, and main characters who aren’t orphans. I mean, it is hard to write a younger protagonist and have them do plot stuff without their parents stopping them, but you can work your way around it and I really like seeing close, supportive families in fiction because it’s really rare.

Also, families with more than two children. In my current WIP, one of the protagonists comes from a family of seven and it’s the most glorious chaotic thing to write XD Though, it’s hard juggling so many dynamics at the same time and trying to write a conversation with so many people.

What is one of your least favorite tropes?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

The siblings as best friends is the entire premise of my novel as well! XD

I also really like girly-girls who aren’t treated as shallow, because being a girly-girl is just a small part of someone’s personality and doesn’t at all mean they’re nothing but lipstick and mascara.

Writing a huge family must indeed be a task, but it sounds so fun!

Hmm, a least favorite trope. I’d say the “woe is me” protagonist, the one who complains about anything and everything, pities himself, and gets angry because no one pities him. (Because he doesn’t deserve to be pitied.) I get that the character arc is usually supposed to be that at the end, he realizes that helping others and selflessly bringing light and joy to the world is what he needs to be doing. And that would be awesome if it were done right, but I feel like the majority of “woe is me” protagonists either never confront their problem of self-pity directly, or at the end they’re just happy and supposedly “changed” because they got their way.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@joy-caroline

“Trevor Munn said, “You know this show is all about God.” And one of the cast replied, “Yes, but you didn’t tell us you’d gotten Him to sing it.” 😭”

That’s funny!  XD  Oh man, those are some amazing songs that you listed!  I also love ‘On My Own’ *sobs*.  And Gavroche’s songs made me laugh and cry. *passes you a tissue too*

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@imwritehere1920

“On My Own” is so beautiful as well! I love Eponine because she’s one of those (sadly) rare people who know the meaning of true love – if you truly love someone, you’ll want their happiness and not your own. Eponine sought Marius’s happiness instead of her own.

Aw, I love Gavroche! *sobs with you and gratefully accepts tissue*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

The siblings as best friends is the entire premise of my novel as well! XD

Awesome! That’s the Paul one, right? Cool! I like that they have a good relationship, it’s way too rare!

Usually, protagonists are only children, which is rather a pity because sibling relationships are inherently interesting. It’s completely different from friendships, although it shares some elements. If the two characters weren’t siblings, they might never be friends, just because their personalities and interests are often completely different. So, you get a lot of interesting conflict!

This is certainly the case in my WIP. The elder, Gavril, is the personification of the hero/paragon archetype and his main goal in life is to be a perfect person and fix the world. (No pressure XD He’s basically permanently stressed.)

While the younger, Liorah (my MC) is overall rebellious, obstinate, and so contrary the only way to get her to do anything is to tell her to do the opposite. She couldn’t care less about what anyone else thinks and probably hasn’t thought anything through in her entire life.

I have no idea how the two still get along XD They’re actually closer than you might think, though there’s always a thread of jealousy from Liorah’s side because Gavril seems perfect and has a tendency to overshadow everyone.

I actually do have deep psychological reasons for why they’re like that, but that’s irrelevant XD

I also really like girly-girls who aren’t treated as shallow, because being a girly-girl is just a small part of someone’s personality and doesn’t at all mean they’re nothing but lipstick and mascara.

Exactly! I’ve often found that girly girls are automatically assumed to be incompetent, prissy, or outright evil. (I’m thinking of the ‘mean, popular girl’ in every high-school drama.)

I have a side character who is the epitome of girly. She usually wears colorful dresses or skirts, lots of jewelry, makeup, spends a lot of time on her hair, etc. But she’s also one of the cleverest and most competent characters and she usually has several knives on her at any given time. She’s adorable and I love her so much XD

Writing a huge family must indeed be a task, but it sounds so fun!

It’s hard but really awesome! That family is probably my favorite to write, just because there are so many dynamics to write. It’s the best XD

Hmm, a least favorite trope. I’d say the “woe is me” protagonist, the one who complains about anything and everything, pities himself, and gets angry because no one pities him. (Because he doesn’t deserve to be pitied.) I get that the character arc is usually supposed to be that at the end, he realizes that helping others and selflessly bringing light and joy to the world is what he needs to be doing. And that would be awesome if it were done right, but I feel like the majority of “woe is me” protagonists either never confront their problem of self-pity directly, or at the end they’re just happy and supposedly “changed” because they got their way.

Ohhh, yes!! I hate those, they usually make me want to throw the book through the window. I think another main issue with that is that they’re so egotistical and always take themselves seriously. Characters who occasionally poke fun at themselves are way more interesting XD

I think some of my least favorite tropes are “Overpowered chosen one that is extremely bland but everyone loves them.”

I hate those protagonists, they’re just annoying. Like… competence is generally a likable trait in a character, but it’s so dumb to hear the other characters ranting about how awesome the main character is, especially when you can see they’re the blandest character who ever lived.

Also, characters without agency. It’s plain, outright annoying. You could technically call this the ‘damsel in distress’ trope, but it doesn’t just apply to female characters. I recently read a trope that flipped this so the love interest was kidnapped and the princess had to rescue him, which is actually an interesting idea, but the execution was terrible.

The love interest (Although overall quite likable) was about as useful as a sack of grain and was just passed back and forth like a MacGuffin. I don’t think he did a single thing of his own initiative.

Oh, and the “Lost royal” trope. Like… seriously. Why? I got attached to this character and their backstory, why are you trying to make them seem cool now, at the end of the story?

Cliche villains are also annoying. Whenever someone just claims the villain is insane and makes them do very see-through, stupid plot stuff, so the hero seems cool, I always get irritated. It’s much more fun to make your villains mean their villainy and make them do it to the best of their ability. Claiming insanity is a cheap cop-out IMO.

Wow, I hate a lot of tropes XD What’s your favorite setting to read, or your favorite setting that you’ve read?

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for the late reply. I didn’t see this until now – maybe the email didn’t go through for some reason? Or it’s probably in my spam folder. I never check that. 😭

Awesome! That’s the Paul one, right?

Yup, it is! I definitely agree that good sibling relationships (especially with adult sibs, as you pointed out) are way too rare.

Your characters sound amazing! Gavril must be under so much pressure being perfect. If I were Liorah though, I’d def be jealous too! XD

I’ll tell you a bit about my characters, too!

Paul and his sister, Temira, have COMPLETELY different personalities. Your point about the conflict is so true, since they have a lot of it although they are good friends, lol. Actually, they don’t start off being good friends. Basically, Paul goes back to Tarsus after his conversion (Acts 9:30) because he knows in his heart he’s got to tell his family. His parents are dead, but he has extended family and his sister left. Long story short, he goes to Temira first, and she lets him know in no uncertain terms how much she hates him. It takes this whole dramatic event to make her change her mind (it would be spoilers if I told you haha).

After that, their conflict is even more interesting, precisely because they become inseparable. Paul is quite overprotective of her (she is his younger sister). He’s everything you would expect St. Paul to be – gentle with her, compassionate, enduring her outbursts over his apostleship. But in the first drafts I made the mistake of making Paul too perfect, and since that’s not realistic or relatable, I did some major deep digging into his character.

He has a good deal of flaws (I know, shocking XD). He tries to hide everything from Temira so she won’t get worked up, but being as sharp as she is, she always finds out and then feels deceived. His “fatal flaw” is that he believes himself too far gone to be truly redeemed. One of the most interesting parts of his character is that he actually feels guilty for loving Temira as much as he does, because he took other brothers away from their sisters in his persecutor past. The result of that is treating Temira harshly enough times that she starts to think he doesn’t care for her at all. These two misunderstand each other so many times that their relationship is often teetering at the edge of a cliff.

Although Temira becomes a Christian, she continues to wrestle with the suffering path Paul has chosen to take, and her flaw is her lack of empathy. She loves him of course, but she lives in denial and can’t (really, doesn’t want to) understand his trauma over his past. She would rather avoid the reality that he used to be a murderer, and every time his past comes into play, she tries to escape it.

Really, the whole reason they run into so much trouble is because they misunderstand each other (due to the fact that they’re so different). It’s so interesting to write! Speaking of which, I didn’t realize I had written so much. Apologies – I tend to ramble about my characters.

But she’s also one of the cleverest and most competent characters and she usually has several knives on her at any given time.

PLEASE LET ME BETA READ THAT BOOK IF YOU EVER NEED IT. I think I would just adore that character! I love seeing girly-girls portrayed as kind and tough gals – because why on earth can’t they be????

Characters who occasionally poke fun at themselves are way more interesting

Agreed!!!

Like… competence is generally a likable trait in a character, but it’s so dumb to hear the other characters ranting about how awesome the main character is, especially when you can see they’re the blandest character who ever lived.

Right!? I don’t like books in general where the other characters are always ranting about how awesome the main character is. When they’re not awesome at all, and the characters ranting about them are so much more interesting!

Oh, and the “Lost royal” trope.

Finally someone who agrees with me on that one. It’s so annoying when the author whips out that plot twist. I loved who the character was before – just why??

It’s much more fun to make your villains mean their villainy and make them do it to the best of their ability. Claiming insanity is a cheap cop-out IMO.

Agree with ya on that one as well. I feel that “oh, they’re insane” is what authors do when they can’t think of an actual good reason the villain does these things. It’s a weak excuse that makes me care about neither the protagonist nor the antagonist.

What’s your favorite setting to read, or your favorite setting that you’ve read?

Ooh, great question! I love settings that involve revolutions, prison camps, forests, churches, or even sleepy little towns. My favorite setting is of course the France of Les Misérables. Prison, revolution, poverty, oppressed people, barricades, a bishop voluntarily deciding to live as the poor and common… it has everything! But I love everything about that book, lol.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for the late reply. I didn’t see this until now – maybe the email didn’t go through for some reason? Or it’s probably in my spam folder. I never check that.

Totally no worries! I’ve actually seen someone else mention that they haven’t been receiving emails either. Don’t worry, the internet gremlins are odd sometimes XD

WOW! Your characters sound beyond fascinating! I love how much depth and conflict there is between Tamira and Paul! It sounds so deep and complicated, and I can tell you’ve put a lot of thought into it! It sounds so awesome!

Speaking of which, I didn’t realize I had written so much. Apologies – I tend to ramble about my characters.

Don’t apologize! I love hearing people ramble about their characters! (Almost as much as I love rambling about my characters. I could rant about them for pages XD)

Your characters sound amazing! Gavril must be under so much pressure being perfect. If I were Liorah though, I’d def be jealous too! XD

LOL, he is, poor thing XD

I thought Liorah’s jealously was kinda interesting since she never acknowledges it, even to herself. Still, it’s there. She’s mostly very annoyed that she’s generally seen as “Who? Oh, Gavril’s sister” and the black sheep of the family. Oddly enough, she never blames Gavril for it. She blames everyone else, but never Gav. I thought that was interesting!

I think the cool thing is that they grew up under the same circumstances but it affected them so differently. They had a kinda traumatic/ stressful childhood, because of outside elements and their father dying when they were quite young.

Gavril reacted by becoming very perfectionistic and driven because he felt like too much depended on him and he couldn’t disappoint anyone.

Liorah felt neglected and reacted by being fiercely independent (she’s terrified of being dependant on someone and getting let down again.) and trying to get any kind of attention, even negative attention.

So, they had entirely opposite reactions. It really brought them closer to each other, oddly, because Liorah doesn’t expect anything of Gavril, so he doesn’t have to prove himself to her. And Gavril always makes time for Liorah and she trusts that he’ll never let her down or leave her to fend for herself.

Of course, for plot reasons, they both have to face their lies. That’s fun XD (For me, not for them XD)

PLEASE LET ME BETA READ THAT BOOK IF YOU EVER NEED IT. I think I would just adore that character! I love seeing girly-girls portrayed as kind and tough gals – because why on earth can’t they be????

Totally! Only if you let me beta-read your Paul story! It sounds so awesome and I really want to read it!

It’s absolutely hilarious how much everyone loves her XD As soon as Sahar waltzes onto the page, every single reader I’ve ever had immediately goes “That one. That’s my favorite.” It’s really fun since I really love her too. She’s too adorable to exist. XD

And YES! I hate it when all female characters are either totally ditsy and girly or super tough and masculine. XD Liorah, my sword-fighting, tom-boy character also enjoys embroidery in her free time and has fun dressing up now and then. When someone made fun of her embroidering, she said: (And I quote)

“Embroidering proves I have the patience to stab something thousands of times.”

Yeah, that’s what she’s like XD

Finally someone who agrees with me on that one. It’s so annoying when the author whips out that plot twist. I loved who the character was before – just why??

Exactly! It feels cheap and it’s totally a cliche by now. Especially when it’s “OoH, I wonder who the lost princess could be?? Certainly not the main character who has a vague background and is stated to be the same age as the lost princess!” Why does anyone still do that? XD

Agree with ya on that one as well. I feel that “oh, they’re insane” is what authors do when they can’t think of an actual good reason the villain does these things. It’s a weak excuse that makes me care about neither the protagonist nor the antagonist.

Totally!

Ooh, great question! I love settings that involve revolutions, prison camps, forests, churches, or even sleepy little towns. My favorite setting is of course the France of Les Misérables. Prison, revolution, poverty, oppressed people, barricades, a bishop voluntarily deciding to live as the poor and common… it has everything! But I love everything about that book, lol.

Ooh, cool! *Quickly checks it out as an audiobook* WOW, 65 hours! The longest book I ever listened to was Ben-Hur, at 27 hours. (It was nothing like the movies and it had an entire chapter describing one gate. XD) Goodness, how’d you ever get through it? XD It sounds cool though, I might try it sometime!

I’d say some of my favorite settings are: Abandoned/ruined places (I don’t know why I just love the aesthetic) farms, forests, deserts, medieval cities, coastal towns and lighthouses, any cool sci-fi stuff, any kind of middle-eastern setting, and castles.

My all-time favorite setting… Ummm, I don’t have one actually. The setting in “The Red Ribbon” was really well described and worked excellently with the plot, but then again, it was a concentration camp, so the setting itself wasn’t nice. It was very well written though. That whole book was so atmospheric!

Joy C. Woodbury
    @joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Don’t worry, the internet gremlins are odd sometimes XD

Totally… *sighs*

I love how much depth and conflict there is between Temira and Paul!

Thanks! I do, too. The most interesting thing is that they always stay good friends, even though they have so many rough patches along the way. When Temira carries home an abandoned baby, it gets even more interesting, ’cause Paul’s oldest nephew isn’t exactly in support of the adoption. At least not at first. Can’t reveal too much of that either. XD I have so much fun portraying Paul and Temira’s different parenting styles. Temira is a bit of a helicopter, while Paul is mostly authoritarian but has some severe authoritative moments at times. Their parenting is kind of influenced by the way their own father treated them, because they REALLY don’t want to be like him and can take that desire to an extreme if they’re not careful.

She’s mostly very annoyed that she’s generally seen as “Who? Oh, Gavril’s sister” and the black sheep of the family.

I relate so much to poor Liorah right now… *hides*

It really brought them closer to each other, oddly, because Liorah doesn’t expect anything of Gavril, so he doesn’t have to prove himself to her. And Gavril always makes time for Liorah and she trusts that he’ll never let her down or leave her to fend for herself.

That sounds so adorable! I just love sibling relationships in fiction. 😀

Totally! Only if you let me beta-read your Paul story!

Yay! And I’d love to put you on the future beta-readers list.

I hate it when all female characters are either totally ditsy and girly or super tough and masculine.

I know. The super masculine ones annoy me, too! Why do authors seem to think that makes a girl character “strong” or “courageous”? It just makes them irritating. XD

“Embroidering proves I have the patience to stab something thousands of times.”

Ohmigoodness, LOL!

Certainly not the main character who has a vague background and is stated to be the same age as the lost princess!

My thoughts exactly. I just think that trope has been done so many times, ya ought to be able to think of SOMETHING more original.

Goodness, how’d you ever get through it?

Lol. The unabridged is 1500 pages, so yes, it’s a big read, but it’s SO worth it. There are so many intriguing characters, and the way their lives intertwine is just incredible. The book is full of a lot of sadness, guilt, and tragedy, but the journey is so worth it. I have never cried over a book or been changed by a book the way I was with Les Mis. The road might be rocky, but it’s a beautiful story of hope and redemption and how God leads to goodness. The main character and his sacrifices had me bawling, and I even cried for the antagonist at his tragic end. Yes, if you couldn’t tell by now, I think you should give it a go. XD If you haven’t heard the musical, you should TOTALLY check out the Original London Cast recording. *realizes I’m listening to the musical as I type this*

The setting in “The Red Ribbon” was really well described and worked excellently with the plot, but then again, it was a concentration camp, so the setting itself wasn’t nice.

Hmm, I haven’t heard of that book. I really liked the setting in The Book Thief as well. It wasn’t especially picturesque, but was described so well and fit smoothly with the plot.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Thanks! I do, too. The most interesting thing is that they always stay good friends, even though they have so many rough patches along the way. When Temira carries home an abandoned baby, it gets even more interesting, ’cause Paul’s oldest nephew isn’t exactly in support of the adoption. At least not at first. Can’t reveal too much of that either. XD I have so much fun portraying Paul and Temira’s different parenting styles. Temira is a bit of a helicopter, while Paul is mostly authoritarian but has some severe authoritative moments at times. Their parenting is kind of influenced by the way their own father treated them, because they REALLY don’t want to be like him and can take that desire to an extreme if they’re not careful.

Ooh, that’s so cool! I think that’d be really awesome and show a lot about their characters!

I relate so much to poor Liorah right now… *hides*

Aww! *Gives you a big hug*

Yay! And I’d love to put you on the future beta-readers list.

Awesome! *Bounces in excitement* You might have told me already, but what draft are you on? I’m not going to need beta-readers until I finish the second revision, and I’ve barely started with the first. (So it’s going to be quite a while XD)

I know. The super masculine ones annoy me, too! Why do authors seem to think that makes a girl character “strong” or “courageous”? It just makes them irritating. XD

Exactly! Or even worse, when she’s “Not LIke OtHEr GiRls”. She’s so special and unlike the others, she isn’t at all shallow and she despises everything ‘other girls’ do. If a character does that, I instantly disconnect from her XD

Ohmigoodness, LOL!

Yeahh… that’s what Liorah’s like XD All the time XD

Yes, if you couldn’t tell by now, I think you should give it a go. XD If you haven’t heard the musical, you should TOTALLY check out the Original London Cast recording. *realizes I’m listening to the musical as I type this*

Ooh, cool! I’ll look into it! I love musicals! My favorites are “Singing in the Rain” and “My Fair Lady”!

Hmm, I haven’t heard of that book. I really liked the setting in The Book Thief as well. It wasn’t especially picturesque, but was described so well and fit smoothly with the plot.

Oh, yes, that was really good! The author is excellent at describing things!

The Red Ribbon (By Lucy Adlington) is really really good! It’s about the dressmakers of Auswitch, who made dresses for the commanders’ wives. The main story is centered around Ella and her friendship with a dreamy girl named Rose. (Guess where I got my username? XD)

The characters are captivating and unique, the descriptions are vivid and lively, the entire book is extremely atmospheric. Also, I love fashion history, and the author is a dress historian, so the dress descriptions are flawless.

I think what I loved most was the tone. You’d expect the story to be grim and hopeless, but it’s so alive and colorful and so hopeful. It doesn’t take anything away from how horrific the situation was, but the overall tone is so incredibly hopeful. It’s one of my favorite books of all time, I really loved it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest