Hello Everyone :)

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello Everyone :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Claire_Tucker
    @claire_tucker

Hi everyone, new member here.

So, I guess I should introduce a little about myself … I’m a South African who loves to create and write stories. I’ve recently admitted to myself that while I know a lot of the “theory” of writing a really great novel, my execution is sloppy and needs work. So, I’m really happy to have found this site and the resources have already helped a lot. I’m also an introvert and apparently I’ve got the power of discovering bookshops wherever I go …

As far as what I enjoy writing, I guess I could say that I’m still “finding myself” there. I’m currently playing with fantasy, but have splashed around with contemporary fiction as well (mostly flash fiction and short stories). I haven’t got anything published yet, but that is one of my long-term writing goals.

Anyway, I’m really happy to be here and am looking forward to learning lots from all of you 🙂

Blessings,

Claire Tucker

Herewith, maybe, you will rekindle hearts to the valor of old in a world that grows chill. ~Círdan

Zee
      @zee

Hi Claire! Nice to see you. I recently joined up here too, but didn’t manage to stumble on the Introduce Yourself thread until just now.

Lots of great articles and ideas on this site!

Wingiby Iggiby
        @wingiby-iggiby

@claire_tucker

Howdy! You live in South Africa?! So cool! How do you like it there? We just moved to North Carolina.

I too love to write. I’m a beginner writer working on my first novel (I call it my first because it’s the first I actually think I know what I’m doing); but spend time on here with collaborative stories and the like. I love to be funny, and can’t help but to insert quirky things into my tales. And I definitely need to work on my book — actually write more of it, edit, add, etc.

My book right now is a fantasy, because with fantasy’s most anything can happen. But I would like to try to write in Comedy, Historical Fiction, Realistic Fiction and Adventure too. I love reading mysteries, but for goodness’ sake! How do you write one?!

I would like to become an artist, for I like to draw and hope to get better at it. I also love snails, FWI. 😛

At some point, I think I would like to finish and publish at least one book, but I’m only 14 and don’t have a whole lot of experience. Oh well.

If you want to develop any of your characters, there are several topics on here with questions to answer regarding that person/animal/plant/thing, etc. Or, you could join Character Castle 2.0 — it’s where we mess around with our characters to grow them and see how they would react to weird things. Often, the characters themselves are weird XD

Anyway, I hope to see ya around! 😉

Wingiby Iggiby — Lover of snails, reading, drawing, The Wingfeather Saga, STAR WARS, The Lord of the Rings, and water tubing.

We both started laughin' when the sky started to rain -- Get Along

Claire_Tucker
          @claire_tucker

Thanks for the welcome, @Zee 🙂 it’s good to see you here

@wingiby-iggiby
            , nice to meet you. I love South Africa, but that’s understandable when I admit to never having left South African soil. This is home. The people, the cultures, the land, it’s mine in a way that’s difficult to describe. “I am African, not because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me” probably explains it the best.

Herewith, maybe, you will rekindle hearts to the valor of old in a world that grows chill. ~Círdan

Kristianne Hassman
            @kristianne-hassman

@claire_tucker

Hi Claire, welcome to the forum! That’s so neat that you’re South African! I also live in South Africa since my family are missionaries. We’re Americans though. 🙂

I also enjoy writing fantasy. Are you currently working on a novel or story? If so, what is it about?

Sarahfi
              @sarahfi

Hey, Claire! Welcome! My name’s Sarah. I’m new too, and this place is great. I’m a college student, a sci-fi writer and a nerd (wait, those last two are the same thing). Feel free to tag me if you have any story, grammar or physics-related questions!

I get shopping around for genres. I only just decided that I wanted to write science fiction. Before that I tried heroic fantasy, urban fantasy, lots of fantasy (never contemporary, though. That’s cool! What sorts of stories have you written?)

On the note of “sloppy execution” (I’m sure you’re doing great), here’s some unsolicited advice: just write. Write every day if you can. It’s cliched, but it works. About a year ago I had written one novel and a lot of beginning chapters. When I began to be serious about working on a project every day, I made a whole lot more progress both in word count and in skill. I’ve written four novels now, and although I’m not a perfect writer, I have definitely learned a lot!

I hope I see you around!

Sarah

What you sow does not come to life unless it dies.
                -1 Corinthians 15:36b

Claire
                @claire-h

@claire_tucker

Hi Claire, I’m Claire. Nice to meet you! Lol. Random question, have you read Dust? One of the main characters is named Claire. It’s so fun to read a book where the main character has your name. 😛

Anyway, I’m (soon to be) 18, and I enjoy hand lettering, graphic design, art, writing and anything having to do with being creative… 😉

@sarahfi
                  Wow, four novels!  That’s awesome! I’ve started wayy too many and never finished them. But right now I’m telling myself that I will finish my current WIP. Any tips on pushing through to the end? XD

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
                  it just blooms.

Claire_Tucker
                  @claire_tucker

@kristianne-hassman Thank you for the welcome! If you don’t mind my asking, which part of SA are you in? I’m in KZN 🙂

So I’m technically between projects at the moment. The one I’ve finished is for the back corner of the bottom drawer. I’m wanting to challenge myself to write a fantasy trilogy, and am planning to do the world-building and plotting etc. in the next couple of weeks. The basic plot-line at the moment is that a Storyteller discovers that one of the nobles of the city she lives in is planning a coup. She has to choose between revealing him and risk her family being killed, or remaining silent and the city (and country) falling under his tyrannical rule.

@sarahfi
                    Yay! Someone else who also enjoys science 🙂 I tutor science to high school students as a living, but haven’t ventured in sci-fi because of all the details that go into making it believable. It’s not just a case of creating a really cool space ship, I also have to understand how the space ship works. I prefer fantasy since anything can happen and if I’m feeling lazy, I can just say “it’s magic” and I’m covered.

@claire-h
                    Hi Claire, great to meet you 🙂 No, I haven’t yet read Dust, although I want to! My dilemma is I prefer physical copies of books, and here in SA it can take a looong time to get them. (I live in a town with only one bookshop, and that mostly stocks academic books). That’s ignoring the price tag. So I’ll probably wait a while before getting it.

Wow, you do enjoy quite a few creative pursuits! That’s awesome! It’s always nice to have other creative pursuits besides writing, so that one has something they can work on when taking a break from writing.

Quick question … what are some of the best forums/topics to get involved in here? I’ve been looking around, but still feel really overwhelmed and lost and have no idea where to even begin.

Claire
                    @claire-h

@claire_tucker

That’s too bad you don’t have a very good access to books… I know what you mean about wanting a physical copy. I always buy discounted books, lol. I recently got Fawkes by Nadine Brandes from am online used bookstore for only $6! I was excited about it. 😉

Your story sounds neat! I would love to hear more about it once you have it figured out more. I’ve been on the plotting stages of my current WIP for over two months… It’s hard to know when to stop planning! My story is set in the jungles of Peru (so the Amazon I guess), and it’s about a futuristic/dystopian village that is centered around “The Animal Sanctum”, a sort of large scale wildlife refuge and rehabilitation center for endangered animals. I’m still working on the specifics of the plot, but I’m focusing in on memory as my theme. The leaders of the village are corrupt and perform memory wipes on people who don’t agree with them. It’s a lot to think through! XD

As far as the best forums/topics to be involved in, it all depends on your interests and the time you want to spend on here. There are a lot of fun collaborative threads like the Character Castle, and then there is more artsy stuff like the Art Exchange. Just look around and find somewhere to jump in! 🙂 I haven’t been on here a whole ton, so I don’t know all the different threads going on.

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
                      it just blooms.

Arindown
                      @arindown

@claire_tucker

Just popping in to say hi! I’m Grace (one of the several here😄).

I write fantasy, at the moment, although I plan to try other genres if I can. I figure dabbling is something writers do naturally.😉

Are you working on a story at the moment? If so, do you mind sharing what it’s about?

Nice to meet you!

Live doing what you love. Die doing what you love. Do what you love for the Master.

Claire_Tucker
                        @claire_tucker

@claire-h Yep, I also love picking up books at a bargain. Some of my favorite places are second-hand bookshops. Or any kind of second-hand shop (which usually has books as well).

Your story sounds like it’s going to be fun! Memory wipes – you’re going to have a blast writing it!  And yes, it is always difficult to know when to stop planning and when to start writing.

@Arindown
                          hi! Thank you for the welcome!

I’m currently between projects, but plan to start working on a fantasy story about a Storyteller who discovers that one of the nobles of the city she lives in is planning a coup. She has to choose between revealing him and risk her family being killed, or remaining silent and the city (and country) falling under his tyrannical rule.

Kristianne Hassman
                          @kristianne-hassman

@claire_tucker

Oh neat! I live in Johannesburg. 🙂

Your story sounds fascinating! I would love to read it sometime when you start writing it! I’m also working on world-building at the moment. I’ve written about twelve chapters of my story so far, but I realized that I needed to figure out my world before continuing.

Claire_Tucker
                            @claire_tucker

@kristianne-hassman cool 🙂 maybe if I head up to Joburg one day we could meet.

And I’ll keep you in mind when my story is written

Kristianne Hassman
                              @kristianne-hassman

@claire_tucker

That would be fun!

Yay!!

Lona
                                @lonathecat

@claire_tucker

Welcome!

Fantasy is what I play with mostly, too. I’ve tried other types, but eh it just doesn’t go so well haha.

Do you have a favorite of those many bookshops you have found? If any of them are chain stores, can you recommend one? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest