Hello, and thanks for accepting me!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello, and thanks for accepting me!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rebekah.Elizabeth
    @rebekah-elizabeth

Hello, Story Embers!

First, I would like to thank the SE team for accepting my application. Even after writing for 5+ years, the only people I talk to on a regular basis on the subject of writing are the characters I’ve created. (They aren’t much help. :D) So this is my first time being in a writing community that can last longer then a week, and it means the world to me. Thank you!

Now I shall introduce myself.

Hi!!! I’m Rebekah Elizabeth (the name on my book is Bekah Mogg). I am a Christian, homeschooled, teenage girl who lives with my mom, dad, and 4 siblings. I love reading, writing, and cooking.

One year ago, I published my first book (Katana Khan) through Amazon, and have written 2 sequel books. (Not published, still editing.) I would love to talk to talk to some published authors about my publishing situation, as I have lots of questions about it.

KK is a fictional book, but I also have written personal narratives, historical fiction, and have inspiration to write a fictional futuristic story and a devotional.

A few other odd facts about me: I’m a blue belt in Brazilian/Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, my favorite color is purple, my favorite pet is a dog, and I’m starting college classes this year in business, writing, and culinary.

I hope y’all have a blessed day!

“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.”

~Robert F. Kennedy

~Rebekah E.
      "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." -R. F. Kennedy

Ella
      @writergirl101

@rebekah-elizabeth

Hey Rebekah!  I’m Ella.  I joined about a month ago, if I’m remembering correctly, which I’m probably not.  It feels like a month, though. 😉

I looked up your book–it’s sounds interesting!  It must be so satisfying to see your book on Amazon…😊

I’m a blue belt in Brazilian/Japanese Jiu-Jitsu

Whoa.  I will try not to make you angry…😋

What are your favorite things to cook?  I specialize in breakfast food…nothing else.  I always start something thinking I’m making it just for me, but end up feeding everyone else. 😂  Oh well.

I used to be homeschooled, but I’m going to a classical Christian school this year.  Homeschooling so fun!  I’ll miss the freedom of it.  I’m going to try out for basketball and track, but we’ll see how everything goes with COVID.  Do you play any sports?

Nice to have you!  (tag me if you post anything, plz)

When something goes wrong in your life, just yell, "Plot twist!" and keep going. 😎🍰

Gracie
        @kimlikesart

Hi @rebekah-elizabeth!

Welcome to StoryEmbers!

I joined SE about two months ago, and it’s been awesome. If you have any questions, or if it’s a little crazy don’t hesitate to ask. (:

I write in almost every genre, but I lean toward Historical Fiction the most.

Digs are amazing! I have a black standard poodle named Ericka. What’s your dog’s name?

Jominkreesa

Passion means to be willing to suffer.

Arindown
          @arindown

@rebekah-elizabeth

Hi! Welcome! I’m excited to meet you.

Sounds like we have a bit in common, I’m also a teenager, homeschooled, avid reader, and I’m learning Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu right now.😄 What degree are you hoping to get in college? I’ve done a duel-credit class, and a test…to get a head start on my degree. I’m hoping to go into Graphic Arts.

You’re ahead of me on writing. I’m partway through my first novel, but I hope to be published in the next few years, Lord willing.

Anyway, glad you’re here. Don’t be afraid to jump into any conversation, or to ask questions if you need help.

Live doing what you love. Die doing what you love. Do what you love for the Master.

Rebekah.Elizabeth
            @rebekah-elizabeth

@writergirl101

Thanks!

Honestly, I initially felt excited about my book being on Amazon, but now I’m having second thoughts, though they are a little late. I’m not be the most experienced writer out there,  but if I were to give anyone advice it would be to not rush into publishing, especially self-publishing.

I don’t get mad very quickly, so you don’t really have anything to worry about. ;P Also, martial arts is the only sport I partake in currently, but I used to play soccer.

When I’m working with my boss, I like to cook her lasagna. Because of my dietary restrictions, I’ve never been able to partake of it, but all the same it is so satisfying how much we can make so quickly. But while at home, I like to make chicken with a parmesan cheese sauce with roasted potatoes. Literally my favorite thing to make at home.

I personally couldn’t imagine being in any other school. I love being homeschooled, though it is a little crazy since I am the oldest of 5, and all of us are homeschooled.

Thank you, Ella!

@kimlikesart

Thank you! I’ll keep that in mind.

I think I’ve tried historical fiction before, but was not all too impressed with the outcome. What time period do you write in?

I don’t currently have a dog, mine passed away just before Christmas. Her name was Play-Dough (I got her when I was like 5) and she was a rat-terrier. Dad say’s he’ll get me a new one if I find one, but life is really busy right now and I don’t think we need the added burden of a puppy.

@arindown

Nice to meet you too! Thank you for taking the time to chat with me! (:

What type of books do you like to read? I don’t know how you’d feel about them, but I’m working on reading a series called “Twisted Tale.” It’s by a bunch of different writers, and every book is a Disney story retold in a different way. Like in Beauty and the Beast’s Twisted Tale (As Old As Time) Belle’s mother is the one who cursed the beast, and when Belle came to the castle she set the clock forward for beast and the castle, and the only way to undo what she did is to find her mom.

They are really creative and interesting books! When I read them, I can feel the creative juices flowing. 😀

I’m also reading The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken. Fantastic book. Words can’t describe how good it is. I think it is a must read for Christians.

So. Enough about books. (As if…)

I will be getting a bachelors degree in business, but also take classes in culinary and some writing, but mainly I hope to join YWW so fulfill some of my writing needs.

What is your novel about?

Arindown, Gracie, and Ella, thank you for welcoming me into this writing community. You guys definitely helped calm some of my nerves and made me feel welcome, thank you!

~Rebekah E.

Arindown
              @arindown

@rebekah-elizabeth

Hmmm…books…I love reading fantasy (my favorite is the Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson), historical fiction, and just about anything else.

I don’t know if I’ve heard of Twisted Tales, but it sounds really interesting. Are they good?

Have you read Andrew Peterson’s Adorning the Dark? That’s on my “Every Christian Should Read” list. I haven’t read The Insanity of God. Maybe I should look it up.

What school are you going to? I think I’m going to get my degree online from Liberty University. My older brother is just finishing a bachelors in business from there.

My novel is…well…it’s about wizards. It’s probably stereotypical, but I don’t really know, because they only wizards I’ve read about are Gandalf, and one called Fenworth in a different series. It’s my first book, so I went almost total panster and just decided to get something done. I have a series in mind for later, but I want a bit of experience first, because it’s my “baby.”😄

I looked up your book, and it sounds really interesting. My family recently got into Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, so suddenly martial arts are a bit of an interest of mine.

You said you’re the oldest of 5. Sounds like an adventure. Siblings are awesome (I have 9).

Really nice to meet you. God bless.

Live doing what you love. Die doing what you love. Do what you love for the Master.

Gracie
                @kimlikesart

@rebekah-elizabeth

Ah, I’m sorry about Play-Dough. 🙁

What time period do I write in? So many. 🙂 I have completed a first draft for one in early A.D.(ish) (Israel); one in the late 1700s (California); 1940s(ish) Europe/Africa/Asia; and one during the time of the judges in the Bible (Israel).

What’s your favorite book you’ve written about? Or, who’s your favorite character and why do you like them?

Jominkreesa

Rebekah.Elizabeth
                  @rebekah-elizabeth

@arindown

I just looked into that series. It looks interesting! Thank you. I will also look into the other book you mentioned.

I love the Twisted Tale series. They are so interesting! They are Y/A novels though, so keep that in mind if you look into them.

I’m going to a local college for a while. I don’t know if I’ll switch, but I’m limited to colleges in my state, as I have a prepaid plan.

I like it when people write “magic” stories. It is such a broadly used subject, but everyone still has their own story to tell, and every single one is unique.

I, too, have inspiration for a book I plan to write in the future, but I hope that I can finish my current WIP before getting to it. What is yours about? (You do not need to answer if, like me, you would like to keep the topic to yourself. 🙂 )

Siblings are indeed quite the adventure. I actually have 6 in the house right now. I would rather not go into details on it here, but if you are curious you can read this article.

@kimlikesart

Thank you, Gracie. My dog was quite the good pupper. <3

Those sound really interesting! Do you intend to publish them at some point?

My current WIP is my Katana Khan series (book 1 is on Amazon). My favorite character in it is Kimi Higashi. What is funny about that is I started writing the book hoping for Kamera Oyama to be a lot like me, but then I decided that they should become their own characters, and just kept going with it. Now looking back on it, I see more of myself in Kimi. Throughout her story, she has lost friends, had trust issues, and tends to pretend that she is okay when she isn’t just to try and keep the few people she has in her life around. Those are all things I have struggled with in the past, and so I relate to her on a really deep level.

I know that maybe sounds weird, to relate to my own character like that, but I’m being honest when I say that I never wanted my characters to be like me in any way shape or form. I simply let my imagination shape them into their own people with their own stories, and so when I looked back and saw how they had become so similar to me, I got really excited.

I don’t know if any of that makes sense, haha.

~Rebekah E.

Gracie
                    @kimlikesart

@rebekah-elizabeth

No, that’s cool!

I know what you mean by trying to form a character after someone, and then they change and become themselves…

Writing my characters with issues, then their struggles, and then their victory or failure? It makes me work through things I never would have thought of. It helps me grow emotionally and spiritually.

Yes, I hope to publish all my books at some point. But definitely one before I am eighteen. (:

Your book sounds good just because I heard about the characters!

Jominkreesa

Arindown
                      @arindown

@rebekah-elizabeth

Wow. What a job. God bless your family for taking on fostering. Our neighbors across the street foster…I think they might have 4 right now, all under 5 years old. I have no idea how they do it. I really liked the artical you wrote.

I think I’ll look up the Twisted Tales series. I think I may have seen something similar, but I don’t read a lot of romance and such at this point, but I plan to do a little more, because I’m trying to write romance in my own stories, and it’s pretty horrible right now.

Also…WAY TO GO publishing your first book at 15! Like wow. I’m just now learning the kind of grit it takes to write a book, and I’m a year older than that.

Actually, I don’t mind sharing my stories early (as long as nobody steals the idea). I used to keep it all to myself, but being an introvert, it ended up being kinda a bad habit for me because I would get really grouchy at my family because I was in the middle of tough story stuff.😁

My “masterpiece” story (as I call it) has been years in the making. It’s a fantasy about this kid named Enan who’s life goal is to be a special warrior like his dad. Then when he fails, it kinds spins him out of control with anger, pride, and selfishness. There’s no magic in it, even though it’s set in a different world and there’s different animals. The longer I wait to write it, the more immense it gets.😉 I try to make all my characters have a backstory/character arc, so it’s pretty tangled sometimes.

One question, do you go under a pen name because you’re not 18 yet? Or are there other reasons? If I publish in the next couple years, I’m going to have to think over all that stuff.

Rebekah.Elizabeth
                        @rebekah-elizabeth

@kimlikesart

When you publish, do yourself a favor and don’t go the easy route. Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing is where I have Katana Khan book 1 and it is not the place for me. They take 70% of your profits and they don’t advertise for you. Overall my experience with them has been un-enjoyable and I am not reaching many people.

Kamera, Kimi, and friends have definitely helped me grow over the past few years. Though it feels odd that we say that about character that we created, doesn’t it? 😀

@arindown

Thank you, though I think anyone could do it. There is literally nothing remarkable about our family. Ha! Right now we have the adopted kids (11, 10, 8) and two babies (19 m, 6 w). It’s quite the learning curve to go from 1 to 6 siblings in less than 3 years. Haha.

Though, honestly, having them around has helped me grow a ton. It has really redefined my relationship with Christ, my family, and my friends. It has rooted out “friends” who weren’t truly there for me. And it made me question my faith to a point that it became stronger than ever. And even in my writing, I’m learning to better control my scheduled to fit in helping around the house with the kids, but still have time to do my school, write, and take care of myself. I’ve written so much in the past year.

I’m attempting to add romance to my WIP. It is quite the daunting project for the homeschooler who has never been on a date before. Haha.

Thank you!

The story sounds interesting! Also, I’m only unwilling to share about my plot because it will be along the more controversial side, so I’ll have a different pen name for it and everything.

Honestly, I just went with the name I am most comfortable with. Literally no one I know calls me Rebekah, so Bekah was just the natural name to put on there. And I can’t really explain the last name. Ha.

When I publish a different series/when I republish my different one, I will actually be going by Rebekah Elizabeth. I think it sounds more professional.

~Rebekah E.

imwritehere1920
                          @imwritehere1920

@rebekah-elizabeth

Hi Rebekah!  I’m Lily and I joined a couple of weeks ago (My family homeschools too).  Welcome to Story Embers!

Congratulations on publishing your first book!  Are you taking online college classes this year?  What are some of the books you are currently reading?

So what is Brazilian/Japanese Jiu-Jitsu?  Is it hard?  How long have you been practicing?

Hope you have a blessed day too!  🙂

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Gracie
                            @kimlikesart

@rebekah-elizabeth

Thanks for the warning. (We actually had been considering Amazon) So many many many thanks!!!!

Jominkreesa

Eitan
                              @eitan

@rebekah-elizabeth

Hello! Welcome and nice to meet you!

Where do you come from? Tell us about the place, please!

What subjects interest you? (Like – history, sport, science, and so on. Not necessarily to do something, if you understand me 😅)

Bible questions! Whats’ your favorite…

• book in the Bible? Only one. A hard choice 🙂
                                • character? Besides Jesus! 😉
                                • verse?

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest