fb

Hello all!

Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

Hi again y’all! Ok, my apologies for being so inactive for soooo long! I started a new job that has been taking up a lot of time, and schoolwork has taken up the rest of the time XD I promise I have not forgotten about you two!

@rose-colored-fancy

Let me know how you like it when you finish it! Or how you dislike it, I guess XD

Yeah, it’s depressing how that happens. I don’t understand why they think it’s a good idea to add or retract things from books, thinking that would make the already fantastic book even better. I swear that the directors and produces of those movies had never read any of the books they make movie adaptations of… *sigh* Anyways XD I do not mind the rants at all, LOL.

I totally recommend it! I mean, it’s kinda dark, but I think it’s really good! I read it for my English class two or three years ago and really enjoyed it.

LOL, having characters do dumb things is great, isn’t it? XD

@lonathecat

Dude, I totally understand XD No worries about responding a little late! Life is crazy LOL. All semesters are rough for me; I’m old XD

I can understand that! I think I would rather sing because I would be given something very specific to do. If I were to freestyle on my own I would crash and burn XD I like having very specific, clear instructions and whatnot to do. I guess I’m just that type of person.

Yasssss he is my very literary puppy 🙂

I don’t know what it is about dads, but my dad pretty much wins everything we play. Except for Mario Kart, which I have started beating him at XD He is not happy about that LOL.

I totally get that with smaller time frames but the same amount of work LOL. This new job that I got is taking up more time than I realized, and it’s new to me, trying to cram all my schoolwork in before and after work XD I hardly have a lot of time for writing now, and it’s so sad 🙁 XD

Oh, and same with my brothers! My first brother, who is also two years younger, passed me in height, like, three or four years ago XD But my other brother, who is FIVE years younger than me, is my height now, and I don’t like it — mostly because he likes to rub it in LOL.

My year has been cool so far! Mostly through the new job XD But my co-op is finally going to let us go back in person starting this week! I’m very excited about that 😛

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally, sorry it took so long to reply. I can totally relate to school taking up a lot of time XD I’m getting ready for exams in a couple of months and it’s kinda stressful XD

How do you like your job so far? What is it, if you don’t mind telling? Totally fine to ignore that if you’d rather not say 😉

I totally recommend it! I mean, it’s kinda dark, but I think it’s really good! I read it for my English class two or three years ago and really enjoyed it.

That’s cool! I don’t have English literature, but I had Dutch literature last year. That was fun… I still have fond memories of the Medieval play (written entirely in rhyming old Dutch) Blech XD I needed to read a book from each time period (About eight books total) and eight more modern ones. That was a unique form of torture XD

What books did you read for your literature class? I actually like a lot of the classics. Dickens was brilliant, though it’s definitely better as an audiobook, that way you can go on with life while listening to three pages of description XD My whole family listened to Great Expectations, and we really liked it. Nobody saw the plot twist coming, not even my dad, who always guesses them first. I won’t spoil it, in case you haven’t read it. I’ve also listened to the Tale of Two Cities, but I liked Great Expectations better.

My other favorite classics are The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Little Women series, (Including Little Men and Jo’s Boys), The Secret Garden, The Railway Children (I love that one.) A Little Princess and the whole Anne of Green Gables series. I don’t know if all of those count, but I think they do XD

What’s the most recent book you read? I’m in the middle of “Rescue” by Jennifer Nielsen, and “Starsight” by Brandon Sanderson. I stopped in the middle of Starsight because Rescue came out XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Lona
    @lonathecat

@ally-renee

Yeah, life is pretty crazy. But, only twoish months until summer break so at least there’s that. 🙂

I can see where you’re coming from with that, but personally, I’m more of a do “whatever works, keeps the peace, and doesn’t blow anything up” type of person. XD

Oh lol, good for you! My dad and I played some Mario Kart together over the holidays, and my word we were just terrible at it. It was basically you won if you got 7th and lost if you got 8th. Do you play any other videogames with your family?

Oh that is sad! Do you ever get to write on the weekends? And, excuse my curiosity, you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to: what is your job? 🙂

Lol that must be rough! My youngest sibling is only three years younger, but now that my younger brother passed me up in height, she’s confident she will too. And like you said with yours, both my siblings love rubbing it in. XD

Nice! How has your co-op been so far?

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Aaaaahhhhh, I’m really bad at replying quickly XD So you are totally fine, friend! Oof, exams. They’re so… “fun” XD

My job is going really well so far! I work at Chick-fil-A now, so if I start saying “my pleasure” at the end of everything, that’s why 😛 I’m really enjoying working there, and my coworkers are so fun! 🙂

Okay, I’m gonna be honest: Dutch literature sounds horrifying XD I applaud you for surviving that, LOL *standing ovation* 😉

We have read so many books for my English class that I have lost count XD My favorites have been <i>The Book Thief, Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, Frankenstein, </i>and Macbeth. There are, like, 100 other books I have read, but there is not enough room on SE to name them all XD I have been taking this class since 6th grade, so I have read many a classic book LOL. I think we’re going to read Great Expectations this semester, and I’m curious about it, so hopefully it will be as good as I hope 😉

Sure, those totally count as classics 😉 I’ve only read the first Anne of Green Gables book out of your list, so clearly I have not been fully educated LOL.

I’m currently going through Witness Protection by Carol Kinsey, and I’m actually in a small book-&-writing club with some friends of mine, one of their friends, and Carol Kinsey herself! We’re all writing stories of our own and hope to be published, so Carol offered to help us by teaching us methods for writing and development and whatnot while going through her book and a study guide thing she wrote for that purpose! Sooooo I’m excited about that XD I don’t think I’ve heard of either of those books. What are they about? 🙂

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@lonathecat

Ugh, I keep telling myself that I will be quicker in responding but… here I am XD *long sigh* sorry ’bout that!

Well, that makes sense. I guess I’m just different than most people 😛 😉

Ok, wow, that sounds like so much fun XD Even though you say y’all were terrible at it, did you at least have fun? That’s what matters most, right? I mean, other than winning XD Hehe, so I live in a family of nerds, so there are many video games that my dad, brothers, and I play together (my mom doesn’t really like video games, but sometimes she’ll play a game or two). Some that we play are Minecraft, Wildermyth, Stonehearth, Battle for Westnoth — and they just keep getting nerdier from there LOL. Do y’all play any other video games? 😀

It’s sad, but it’s alright. I guess prioritizing school and work over my fun stuff is… important XD I’ve been able to write a bit on weekends, and I have the prologue and first two chapters of my book completed but not finally edited! *progress* LOL.

No worries! Curiosity is accepted here 😉 I work at Chick-fil-A! I have said “my pleasure” about a million times in the past month XD One of my friends who works with me says that it’s like brainwashing, and I’m starting to think that he’s right, LOL. Anytime I hear someone say “you’re welcome” instead of “my pleasure,” something inside me cringes, and I think “that’s not right” XD

Ah, siblings. Aren’t they great? XD Enjoy that height difference you have with your sister while it lasts, LOL. And if you stay taller than her forever, then kudos to you! 😉

Oh man, my co-op has been so much fun! I mean, there are so many restrictions due to COVID and whatnot, but I have very much enjoyed seeing my friends in person again! I actually thought of you and your burning toaster experience on our first day back because we, uh, had an unintentional fire during our first periods XD Apparently one of the lights in the cafeteria caught on fire during the middle school science class LOL. But it was smoking enough for us to smell it and call the fire department. We all got out of the building, and then when the fire department started to show up, there were, like, fifteen people pulling out their phones and documenting the excitement LOL. My English teacher yelled “THIS IS GOING IN THE YEARBOOK!” XD Don’t worry, the building didn’t burn down, and no one died, so I call that a good day XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hello, friend!

Oof, exams. They’re so… “fun” XD

Ah, yes, I’m looking forward to it!!!! A lot!!!! (Did you hear the sarcasm? XD)

My job is going really well so far! I work at Chick-fil-A now, so if I start saying “my pleasure” at the end of everything, that’s why   I’m really enjoying working there, and my coworkers are so fun!

Oh, that’s awesome! That sounds really cool!

Okay, I’m gonna be honest: Dutch literature sounds horrifying XD I applaud you for surviving that, LOL *standing ovation*

LOL, it gave me the opportunity to read the most surrealistic junk that has ever existed, so that’s fun XD There were two extremes, extreme surrealism, as in: Mermaids, randomly teleporting, time does not exist, monkeys are trying to cut their tails off to be more like humans, and speaking foxes. Good stuff! XD (BTW, every single one of those examples was copied directly from the books XD. I’m not exaggerating.)

In one of the surrealistic books, (The Wandering Jew) the main character was at Jesus’ crucifixion, but he was alerted to it by church bells. Church bells. Do you see the problem here? XD We couldn’t figure out if it was purposefully weird or just really inaccurate. That was actually kind of funny XD

The other extreme is extremely realistic. As in, the characters do nothing except wash dishes, go to work, come back, go for a walk on the weekend, and repeat the process for 200 pages. I think the author was trying to impress the meaninglessness of life upon the reader, at least, that’s what it felt like. XD

We have read so many books for my English class that I have lost count XD My favorites have been <i>The Book Thief, Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, Frankenstein, </i>and Macbeth.

Of those, I only read Pride and Prejudice (I didn’t finish it XD) and The Book Thief. I LOVE The Book Thief. The prose is just plain spectacular!

I think we’re going to read Great Expectations this semester, and I’m curious about it, so hopefully, it will be as good as I hope.

It’s excellent! I really enjoyed it, and I hope you will too!

Sure, those totally count as classics   I’ve only read the first Anne of Green Gables book out of your list, so clearly I have not been fully educated LOL.

LOL! Those others are more obscure, but I still really like them. (My favorites are Anne of the Island and Anne’s House of Dreams). I’ve also read a bunch of L.A. Montgomery’s short stories and her other books “The Story Girl” and “The Golden Road”. I loved those too! There’s a movie series based on it: “Road to Avonlea” but it’s really loosely based, the characters changed a ton. I do really like Road to Avonlea, though! You have to see it as entirely its own thing though.

I’m currently going through Witness Protection by Carol Kinsey, and I’m actually in a small book-&-writing club with some friends of mine, one of their friends, and Carol Kinsey herself! We’re all writing stories of our own and hope to be published, so Carol offered to help us by teaching us methods for writing and development and whatnot while going through her book and a study guide thing she wrote for that purpose! Sooooo I’m excited about that XD

Oh, WOW! It’s SO cool that an author is helping you, that’s awesome!

I don’t think I’ve heard of either of those books. What are they about?

Rescue is a Historical Fiction about France in WWII. Meg Kenyon finds a crashed British pilot in her barn, and he brings her news that her father is in a POW camp and she has to complete a secret mission and solve a code to rescue him.

It was amazing! I finished it and it’s awesome! It was thrilling and twisty and incredible. Jennifer Nielsen is one of my all-time favorite authors, her books are amazing and she’s an awesome person. She’s really active on her blog and interacts with her fans a lot, it’s awesome!

Skyward and Starsight are both by Brandon Sanderson. They’re both Sci-fi books set in outer space about a girl, Spensa, who wants to join the air force, despite the fact that her family is shunned because her father turned coward and ran away during a fight.

Spensa is one of the best characters I’ve ever read, she had a lot of depths, quirks, and oddities. Besides that, she was really funny. I’d heard a lot about Sanderson’s books, but this was the first time I’ve read any of them since I don’t read fantasy with magic systems. But Sci-fi is one of my favorite genres and so far, the books have surpassed expectations.

Random question!

What’s the weirdest (not necessarily the best XD) point of view you’ve ever read?

The weirdest I’ve ever read was a Dutch book, The Master Thief, which was told by an extremely unreliable narrator who was actually the villain. The narrator was constantly exaggerating so much that you couldn’t tell what actually happened, so the book was really weird overall XD

There was stuff like fighting polar bears, cities made of gold, flying around while being towed by pigeons, etc. The MC was constantly doing selfish and outright cruel things, then justifying it by something like “Yes, perhaps that was technically wrong, but you shouldn’t worry about that. It makes life much too complicated.” Whenever anyone opposed him, he dismissed it by claiming they were jealous XD

So his antagonist was actually the unselfish and all-round good guy, who was only on-screen a few scenes XD I didn’t actually figure out that he was the villain until the third book. (It was more like three novellas though, each about 100 words) There was ample fourth-wall-breaking, in the weirdest places. Honestly, I’ve never read anything like it XD It was kinda fun though!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Lona
    @lonathecat

@ally-renee

That’s alright! Don’t worry about it. 🙂

Yeah, we did have fun! It doesn’t reassure me about learning to drive though. My younger sister has been nagging me about it saying she wants me to get my license so I can drive her places and I’m just like, “Are you kidding? I’ll crash into a stopsign at 5mph and still kill us both.” XD

Oh cool! I haven’t heard of most of those, but I play Minecraft with my brother sometimes. Do you have a favorite of the videogames you mentioned? (And nerdiness is the best. 😛 )

Yay for progress! You’ve done more than me if that makes you feel better. And I don’t really have an excuse so….yep. Three cheers for procrastination. 😛

Nice! Haha that does sound a little like brainwashing. I figure you’ll be ok though. XD

Ah yes, always a good day when no buildings burn down lol. And that definitely sounds yearbook worthy. Did the lights get fixed?

Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest