Hello all!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

Oh my, I can see how that can be distracting LOL. But honestly, there are worse songs you could get stuck in your head XD

IKR?

Oh wow that’s so cool! That sounds like an awesome instrument to play!

It is! I love playing South-American music, it’s really, really catchy and fun rhythmically.

Does your family have Disney+? I think the Princess Bride is on there.

No, we don’t. :/ Oh well, I’ll find it someday!

If you are going to watch Pride and Prejudice, I would recommend reading the novel first because there is a lot of social “laws” in that book that are important in the story that aren’t really explained in the movie. It helped me understand the movie and main story in general XD But obviously, you do you XD I think the shorter Pride and Prejudice movie is on Netflix (there’s like a 5 hour movie, but I haven’t dared crossed that bridge yet XD).

I started on Pride and Prejudice, but I haven’t finished it yet XD I got distracted. XD

Random Christmas question! If you have opened any of your presents yet, what would your favorite(s) be? If you haven’t opened any yet, then disregard the question XD

Hmm, I’ll have to skip this one 😉 We don’t celebrate Christmas, so I don’t have an answer XD. But what are your favorites?

I am on break from school though, so I’m getting a TON of writing done. Are you on Christmas break? Have you been writing?

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." ~The Book Thief

Ally Renee
      @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi Rose! 😀

I bet it is! I think all harps of any kind always sound classy and beautiful, so I can only imagine what it sounds like in real life 🙂

Oh, bummer! I believe in you though XD You WILL find it someday; never lose hope! LOL, sorry, I can be annoying 😛

I understand that, LOL. The only reason I read that book in the first place was for my 9th or 10th grade English class, and then some friends and I watched the shorter movie as a celebration of “We finished the book!” XD I’m really glad I read it though.

Ohhhhhh *facepalm* I’m so sorry that I asked then. I feel really bad now LOL. Well my favorites are generally all my presents, but I got a cork board to hang up in my room that I’ve wanted for a while XD And one of my brothers got me that character arcs book, so I’m so excited to read that!

Well that’s fun! Breaks from school are always appreciated XD I’m so glad you’re getting to write more 😀 I am on my third and probably final week of Christmas break. I have done some writing, but not a large significant amount. I’ve been a little busy with holidays and family coming up, babysitting some adorable kids, and my family wanting to play board games that take 2-3 hours LOL. But I did hang out with one of my friends who also loves writing (she’s actually on Story Embers!) and she and I wrote a (very rough XD) short story in around 2 hours, which I then wrote an epilogue to in 20 minutes. But I have written a little bit in Elemental and my other work-in-progress, so I guess I’ve progressed a little 🙂

How is your editing and writing for your books coming along? 😀

~ Ally Renee

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Rose
        @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

Ohhhhhh *facepalm* I’m so sorry that I asked then. I feel really bad now LOL.

No problem 😉

Well my favorites are generally all my presents, but I got a cork board to hang up in my room that I’ve wanted for a while XD And one of my brothers got me that character arcs book, so I’m so excited to read that!

That’s so cool! I’ve been working through that book, trying to untangle my nonexistent arcs. It’s proved quite helpful, though it does mean I have to change a lot. XD

Well that’s fun! Breaks from school are always appreciated XD I’m so glad you’re getting to write more   I am on my third and probably final week of Christmas break. I have done some writing, but not a large significant amount. I’ve been a little busy with holidays and family coming up, babysitting some adorable kids, and my family wanting to play board games that take 2-3 hours LOL.

That sounds like fun! I have literally nothing planned for the entire two weeks, so I draw and write a lot. XD

But I did hang out with one of my friends who also loves writing (she’s actually on Story Embers!) and she and I wrote a (very rough XD) short story in around 2 hours, which I then wrote an epilogue to in 20 minutes. But I have written a little bit in Elemental and my other work-in-progress, so I guess I’ve progressed a little

That’s so cool! Writing friends are the best!😊 And some progress is always good!

How is your editing and writing for your books coming along?

Surprisingly good actually! I’m a bit stuck with editing, but I’m writing a new outline and plotting the character arcs. It isn’t exactly fun, but I’m getting through it. XD I literally have to rewrite 75% of the book. So… that’s going to be fun. :/

The drafting is going surprisingly fast. I only have a week of break left and little time to write after that. I’m trying to fit in as much as possible in two weeks. I’ve written (and briefly edited) about 6500 words in eight days. That’s a personal record XD I kind of frightened myself by writing that fast XD. My average is about 2500 words in a week when I’m doing really well and don’t get stuck and have something interesting to write. So, that was unusual. XD.

Random question!

What’s your favorite and least favorite school subject?

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." ~The Book Thief

Lona
          @lonathecat

@ally-renee

Hey again! No worries haha, mine was pretty busy too. Holidays and all. Merry Belated Christmas! 😛

Ahh ok haha. Yeah I agree, I’m probably somewhere in the middle in terms of caution.

We shall make a day that we shall call “Fuzzy Sock Awareness Day”. Then the populace will be enlightened and will rejoice with us. XD

Nice! Those all sound so cool! So for your choir concert, do you do mostly vocals or also instruments? If so, what instruments? (Aside from hand percussion, although that is a worthy instrument. 😛 )

Lol yeah, I get that. My parents were pretty tired too.

My brother got me a new mp3 player (my old one broke, sadly) and I have been having lots of fun piling all my favorite music on it. 🙂

How about you? Favorite Christmas present (or presents 🙂 )?

Another random question: does your family have any Christmas traditions?

Ally Renee
            @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi again, Rose!! And happy 2021 XD

LOL, well I’m glad that the book is helping with your characters! Even though it’s causing changes in your writing XD Hopefully it will help me as well as I’m still trying to develop 8 main characters, along with a load of other side characters 😉

It has been fun! And honestly, having nothing planned for 2 weeks and doing a lot of drawing and writing sounds equally as fun XD Sometimes having a not-busy week or two is amazing 😛

Yes indeed, writing friends truly are the best 😀 It’s nice to have people that you’re friends with that help give critiques and edit your stories, and I also enjoy having my friends send me drafts of their stories because they’re so much fun for me to read! It also gives me other stuff to read XD

Well that’s good! 🙂 I believe in you! You can push through the editing, outlining, and rewriting! XD 😉 That kind of stinks though, having to rewrite a majority of your book 🙁

Oh wow! I applaud you *golf-claps* XD That’s a stinkin’ lot of words 0_0 If I ever write that much in a short amount of time like that… it’s not pretty XD Like, the quality of what I had written is equal to trash, LOL. But that is just flat-out awesome.

Hmmm my least favorite subject is math. Hands-down XD I am not a math person whatsoever, and I constantly have to ask for help from my very intelligent father who apparently understands everything regarding numbers and math XD My favorite school subject is a tie between English (because I love reading and literally adore my teacher for that class) and choir. I don’t take choir anymore, but I took it for the past two years and it was so much fun! 🙂 I really enjoy singing, and at choir, my brothers couldn’t yell at me to shut up XD

What are your favorite(s) and least favorite(s)? 🙂

~ Ally Renee

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Ally Renee
              @ally-renee

@lonathecat

Happy New Year, friend! We survived coronavirus XD

I love that idea LOL. “Fuzzy Sock Awareness Day” should be a thing! Let’s start a petition XD 😉

Thanks! So my teacher would always hire some of her friends that played the piano, violin, and mandolin, and then another student of the co-op (or former student) to be the literal drums (though our hand-percussions are superior :P). But my teacher would always strive to have at least one a capella song, so we did a lot of Pentatonix (she is the reason I’m hooked on them XD).

With homeschooling, it’s not only the students who look forward to breaks from school LOL.

That’s such a fun present! 😀 Presents that involve music in some way or form are the best XD

It’s hard for me to choose a favorite Christmas present; I love all of mine 😛 I got a huge cork board from my parents that I’ve wanted for a while, and one of my brothers bought me a book on how to write character arcs. Oh, and we also got a dog, so I guess he’s pretty high on the list XD

Our family Christmas tradition is waking up very early and piling into our parents’ bed and annoying them until they’re conscious enough to read the beginning of Luke in the Bible XD and we always have cinnamon rolls for breakfast 🙂

Does your family have any traditions? 🙂

~ Ally Renee

Rose
                @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

Happy new year! I hope you have an amazing 2021! (I do hope it’s a bit less… turbulent than 2020 XD)

Well that’s good!   I believe in you! You can push through the editing, outlining, and rewriting! XD   That kind of stinks though, having to rewrite a majority of your book

I’m going to do my best XD I still love the characters, so I think I may be able to fix it!

Oh wow! I applaud you *golf-claps* XD That’s a stinkin’ lot of words 0_0 If I ever write that much in a short amount of time like that… it’s not pretty XD Like, the quality of what I had written is equal to trash, LOL. But that is just flat-out awesome.

Thank you! I must admit, a lot of what I wrote was kind of trash, but I edited it out, so now it’s good! I do have the tendency to be repetitive when I get stuck.

Like this: “It was a cold day. The day was very cold and freezing. The day was as cold as ice. The day was as cold as the ice crystallizing on the windows.”

Not a literal example, but not far from it XD Sometimes I have to cut out whole paragraphs like that. Well, you can edit a bad chapter, but not an empty page XD

Hmmm my least favorite subject is math.

I couldn’t agree more! I wish Algebra had stayed un-invented, I can do without it, thank you very much XD I liked Geometry, but I despise Algebra. My second least favorite is probably Physics or Chemistry. I hate chemistry, but I somehow get good grades on it?? I have no idea how that happens since it takes me ages of struggling to get through.

My favorite school subject is a tie between English (because I love reading and literally adore my teacher for that class) and choir.

Those are so cool! I have never done choir but it sounds like a lot of fun! My favorite subject is art, hands down. We always take extra time for art since everyone in my family either paints or draws. (I’m homeschooled 😉)

Sorry to butt in on the other conversation, but I totally want to join “Fuzzy Socks Awareness Day”! They’re just the BEST thing!

Lona
                  @lonathecat

@ally-renee

Haha at least we survived 2020. Corona might be around for a little while yet. 😛

Yesss! XD Just get like 1000 signatures and then send it off to wherever holiday petitions go. (Haha, seriously, who decides holidays? Congress? Congress might be a little harder to convince…that is until we give them fuzzy socks of their own. 😛 )

Oh that’s so cool! Are any of your siblings part of the choir with you?

Those all sound like fun presents! Especially the dog, haha. Have you named him?

Oooh cinnamon rolls are a great tradition. ( And I feel bad for you parents, but I don’t blame you XD)

My family makes Swedish pancakes, which are these really small, but really airy, eggy, pancakes. Since they’re small, my siblings and I each eat like 10 of them. XD

My family has a really random tradition of hiding this hideous, 40-some-year-old rubber dog toy inside the Christmas tree. (This has been going on since my mom was little.) My mom and grandma hate it, and have tried pretty much every single year to throw the panther away, but my siblings, dad, and grandpa think it’s hilarious and always manage to rescue the panther.

We’re a goofy family. 😛

Ally Renee
                    @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Hiya Rose! I hope that you too have an amazing 2021 😀

Well that’s good! I guess loving the characters is as good a motivation as any 😉 Hopefully it will get easier!

You’re welcome! I’m glad that you were able to edit the trash LOL 😉 Most of the trash that I write is too far gone to edit and most of the time ends up being deleted XD I totally relate to the repetitiveness! I think I get repetitive unintentionally whenever I can’t think of any other synonyms for a specific word (like “cold” XD). It gets to the point where I’m like “I think I’ve used cold, colder, and colder too many times now,” LOL.

“You can edit a bad chapter, but not an empty page.” That may be the greatest writing quote I’ve ever heard XD Words to live by, it is 😉

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!! Like seriously, when are we ever going to use a majority of what they teach us in Algebra in real life?! I get that it stretches our brains, but like I’m never gonna use this in my lifetime unless I’m an Algebra teacher XD I don’t like sciences much either, because most of them are too confusing for my pea brain XD Although, for my biology class, my teacher created an every-2-weeks review game that I LOVED. This one guy and I would get so competitive with each other (I’m a very competitive person XD). I’m surprised our teacher could even tolerate him and me LOL. Oh well XD My whole point was that the fun game gave me a fun reason to study the facts and stuff LOL. I think I did surprisingly better than I normally do with sciences, but that’s not saying much 😉

Choir was SO much fun for me! 😀 We would have offsite rehearsals that lasted almost all day, and those were always a blast. I really enjoy singing, and that was, like, a whole day dedicated to singing XD I got to sing a few solos, be in a couple a cappellas, and I almost got to audition for my own stand-alone solo before COVID hit, so that’s a bit of a bummer, but oh well XD

I love art too! I mean, I’m not great at it, but I enjoy it 😉 I do art through writing LOL. I’m homeschooled too! Homeschool buddies! 😀 XD Although I do attend a cottage school where I take a couple classes (like English, Art, and sciences).

Welcome to the “Fuzzy Socks Awareness Day” committee! 😉 And no worries about butting in; it’s a good cause when it comes to fuzzy socks 😛

~ Ally Renee

Ally Renee
                      @ally-renee

@lonathecat

Well, yeah that’s what I meant XD Please pardon my English LOL

I would think Congress is in charge of that, but honestly I’m not entirely certain XD but Congress would be my guess.

Well, I don’t take choir anymore; taking it for two years filled up those required credits, and it also costs a LOT of money XD Plus, with all the quarantines and whatnot, it’s hard to have rehearsals, practices, and concerts. But to answer your question, no, they did not. I tried to convince one of my brothers to join when I was gonna take it a second time because I think he has a nice deep voice (something we honestly lacked LOL), but he doesn’t really like getting up in front of people and speaking, let alone singing XD

They are! And yes, especially the dog XD Well we actually took him in from a family from our church that had to re-home him (they have a toddler, and the dog has long hair and didn’t appreciate having his fur pulled by the toddler). So he already has a name that he knows well; his name is Fitzgerald, but everyone calls him Fitz. I love him so much LOL.

Yes, the excitement level for cinnamon rolls is almost as high as the level for opening presents XD And don’t worry, there’s no reason to feel bad for my parents; sometimes my mom gets just as excited as we do LOL. It’s mostly our dad that we annoy 😛

Oooo those pancakes sound amazing… excuse me as my mouth waters XD 😛 That tradition, while strange and not quite what I expected, sounds awesome XD Though I kind of feel sorry for your mom and grandma LOL

Don’t worry, my family is goofy too; for Christmas, my brothers received two games called “Throw Throw Burrito,” and “Poetry for Neanderthals” (my personal favorite XD). We have plenty of goofy to spare 😛 XD

~ Ally Renee

Rose
                        @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

I think I get repetitive unintentionally whenever I can’t think of any other synonyms for a specific word (like “cold” XD). It gets to the point where I’m like “I think I’ve used cold, colder, and colder too many times now,” LOL

Goodness, I totally agree with that! I often write a chapter and then go back and delete like half of it XD

Also a very common utterance: “Why do the characters frown SEVEN times in this paragraph?” And “Why does everything rustle?! And how many times can I say something is ‘damp’?”

When I’m drafting really quickly I often use the same words over and over, and reading it is a chore!

“You can edit a bad chapter, but not an empty page.” That may be the greatest writing quote I’ve ever heard XD Words to live by, it is

IKR? I have to keep reminding myself of that. When I get stuck, I just close my eyes, (not literally XD) write the worst, most ungrammatical, and atrocious draft, then go back and edit out the gibberish.

Revision games are an awesome way to learn! (Especially when you can compete against someone!) I may or may not have memorized the periodic table because of that song. XD (The periodic table song by AsapScience) Songs are my go-to way to remember things XD I may look (and sound) like a lunatic, but at least I remember them LOL.

Choir sounds awesome! It’s so cool that you sang solos!

I love art too! I mean, I’m not great at it, but I enjoy it   I do art through writing LOL.

That’s what’s so awesome about the arts! (Singing, painting, drawing, writing, dancing) There’s no ‘right’ so you can have fun without being great at something! (Unlike the sciences. Ugh.) As long as you love it, it doesn’t matter how good you are.

I’m homeschooled too! Homeschool buddies!

Yay! That’s so cool!

Random questions!

When you think of a story, what do you usually think of first? Character, setting, or plot?

I usually think of a vague, not quite definable idea. It isn’t quite a setting, it’s more like an aesthetic and a color palette. And maybe half a character. That’s all I have to work with. *Sigghhh*

Another weird thing, I’ll randomly start spotting things my characters would like. I’ll just see something, like a pair of earrings, and my first thought is something like: “Sahar would wear that.” It’s pretty weird XD

Ally Renee
                          @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi Rose! 😀

SAME THOUGH!!! Why is it that when you’re like “in the zone” with writing that you can’t come up with any synonyms for obvious words?!?! At least, it’s that way for me XD Like I’ll be writing a battle scene with a monster (there are a lot of those throughout Elemental, along with the normal human battles 😛 ), and I find it so hard to find a variety of words to describe what the thing is doing – I wrote a short story focusing on Penny and Chad (one of my other MCs), and the first scene is a battle with a Tasu (I creature I made up that’s basically a tiger-like thing that’s the size of an elephant XD I’m not that creative LOL) and I struggled SO much with varying what the Tasu did. I was like “so basically all this is showing is the Tasu growling and roaring fifteen times when it isn’t trying to claw anyone to pieces” XD Thankfully I edited it once I got feedback from friends I sent it to and I think it’s better now LOL.

(Wow that was a large chunk of words XD sorry ’bout that 😉 )

I too have to keep reminding myself that, mostly because I beat myself down whenever I write myself into a corner and have to rewrite the entire thing LOL.

Games make everything better, I think 😉 Especially for a competitive person who likes to win 😛 And I totally get the song thing! To this day, I still remember the song my mom taught me to memorize the months when I was in second grade XD If only I could put all of my confusing math and science issues into song to help me actually learn what they’re trying to teach me!

It really was fun! And thanks! I mean, I never got a stand-alone solo (one of the guys that was in choir got one for himself, but he had an amazing vocal range and my teacher wanted to take advantage of that LOL), but that was probably for the best because I would get SO nervous about my dual-solos XD

I like that about the arts too! Though I do have a tendency to wish my drawings/paintings looked as good as some of my other friends who are actually gifted in that field LOL. But I still love it so I [try] to stick with it 😉

Hmmm I think my story ideas always start out with a very vague idea of the overall plot. It almost always comes to me whenever I’m doing something else probably more important XD I’ll be working on school or trying to write something else, and then I’ll be like “Ooo, I have a new idea!” 😛 Most of the time I just think of the very beginning of the storyline and the very end of the story. I think that’s partly why I struggle so much with all my in-between stuff because I can’t figure out what to put in there that leads up to the ending.

Oof that stinks 🙁 But that’s intriguing that you think of a certain color palette or aesthetic for your story ideas… I’ve never really thought about that LOL. How exactly does that affect your story/characters/etc?

Don’t worry, I do that too XD It mostly happens to me when I’m looking up artwork of people to recolor as my characters, and I’ll think “This seems like something Taylor would wear,” and whatnot XD It helps me too as I’m still developing their personalities through their clothing, if that makes any sense XD Like I have a character who is supposed to be, like, quiet, a bit shy, and a very sweet person, and I can find pictures of sketches people made and see the clothing and be like “It’s Kelsi!” 🙂 So don’t think that your thing is weird; I think all writers may do something similar to that with their own characters!

~ Ally Renee

Rose
                            @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

The Tasu sounds really cool! I don’t have any fantasy creatures in my book, but my characters have one-on-one fights, battles, and fights against animals, so I practice writing all of them XD I had a scene where Liorah fought some hyenas and while reading it I was constantly thinking. “I gET iT! BiG TeeTH are SHIny in the FIreLIght.”  XD I wrote that about five times.

I like that about the arts too! Though I do have a tendency to wish my drawings/paintings looked as good as some of my other friends who are actually gifted in that field LOL. But I still love it so I [try] to stick with it

I totally understand the feeling!

It almost always comes to me whenever I’m doing something else probably more important XD I’ll be working on school or trying to write something else, and then I’ll be like “Ooo, I have a new idea!”

SAME! Every now and then, I’ll just sprint through the house looking for a notebook and my family will ask what’s wrong. “NEW IDEA!”

Most of the time I just think of the very beginning of the storyline and the very end of the story. I think that’s partly why I struggle so much with all my in-between stuff because I can’t figure out what to put in there that leads up to the ending.

I totally get that! For my first book, I had a beginning, but no middle or end. For my second, I had a middle, but no beginning or end. That’s just as bad, how was I supposed to get Liorah to do the thing!? And for my third book I have an end, but no beginning or middle. XD

But that’s intriguing that you think of a certain color palette or aesthetic for your story ideas… I’ve never really thought about that LOL. How exactly does that affect your story/characters/etc?

Hmm, it usually gets me to start thinking, for one thing. I think it’s also because I’m an artist, so I’m used to thinking in images and color. It annoys me when I don’t know what color the walls of a room are, or what the lighting is like XD.

Since I do draw all of my characters (A lot!) it influences the color palettes of the pictures. Almost all of them are warm-toned, a bit dim and muted, but with a lot of bright colors. I also associate all my characters with colors, for some reason? Liorah is bright blue, Sahar is deep violet, Faye is forest green, Ferran is bright orange-red, and Acyn is beige. I usually incorporate the color in my pictures of them, and I use it in the descriptions I write.

Also, I write settings as aesthetics, somehow. It just helps me to think of it that way, since it helps me come up with details to add and more descriptive words. For example, Faye’s home is a little sandstone farmhouse in a village near a forest. That helps me think of things like: There are always flowers in the front garden, the kitchen smells of rosemary, sage, and baking bread, the chicken coop is always on the point of collapse, (because on of her brothers is always climbing on it), just, stuff like that. Hope that makes sense. XD

It helps me too as I’m still developing their personalities through their clothing, if that makes any sense XD Like I have a character who is supposed to be, like, quiet, a bit shy, and a very sweet person, and I can find pictures of sketches people made and see the clothing and be like “It’s Kelsi!”

I totally understand! I do that too! Liorah is practical and careless, so her clothing looks totally different from exuberant, extroverted Sahar.

Sahar wears very bright, flowy, patterned clothing with a lot of jewelry (Kind of bohemian, I guess). Liorah’s clothing is simple and comfortable, and usually messy.

What are your character’s weapons and fighting styles? Is your story set in a modern time or historical? (I’m sorry, I may have asked this already.)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Rose.

Ally Renee
                              @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Hey Rose!

Thanks!!! I honestly have trouble coming up with things like that on my own, but your comment made me smile 🙂 Hand-to-hand combat is cool too! But I tooootallyyyy get that! I do that too with all my combat scenes XD We’re just our own worst enemies when it comes to our own writing 😛

LOL I love that! Does your family know by now that you scrambling around looking for a notebook automatically means NEW IDEA? XD 😉 When all of my random and inexplicable story/short story ideas come to me, I wait until I’m alone in my room at night before I write them down (because most of the time it will just be short story ideas that I will never use in a book XD), but the downside to that is I end up staying up wayyyyy too late in my spurt of inspiration XD

Oh my word, that has got to be frustrating! That’s the worst, LOL. It’s such a struggle when you have at least one part of the story in mind, and then you’re like “okay… how do I get there in a way that will keep the reader interested in my characters and the storyline?” That’s my downfall, trying to write even the most boring scenes in an interesting way that won’t have my readers nodding off or get uninterested in my book.

Oh that’s cool! I think it makes sense that, as an artist, that’s something you would think a lot about and would take more care incorporating it in your story. That’s also cool that you associate your characters with colors too! I can tell you have put a lot of thought into them 🙂

No worries, that makes complete sense to me! I need to start putting more effort into descriptions (something that is lacking in all of my writing LOL).

Same! Penny could really care less about appearances (anytime I have her wear a dress, she is noticeably uncomfortable in it). She is more of a jeans-are-more-practical,-why-would-I-need-to-wear-a-skirt kind of gal XD Whereas some of my other female characters are more stylish and take the time to dress themselves up. Penny’s clothing choices are like Liorah’s; simple and comfortable (the only “messy” things with Pen would be old bummy sweatpants and hoodie LOL).

So the fighting style in Elemental is a little all over the place XD Most of my Elementals’ powers have, like, long-range attacking benefits (for example, Penny, whose power is fire, can create literally balls of fire to shoot at her enemies), so I think that for half the time it’s long-ranged, and then the other half of the time it’s face-to-face because, realistically, I can’t keep my characters away from the people who are trying to kill them forever LOL. So all of my characters are trained with at least one weapon that works with their power(s). Like, Alexander has a sword, and Faith (another MC) has a bow and arrows because her power is wind.

No worries about asking those questions! Mostly cuz I can’t remember if we have discussed this or not XD So since it’s a fictional world that I created, I have mixed in certain elements of both modern day stuff and “historical” stuff. Like, in Belrac, there are kingdoms with kings and queens, cities and towns within those kingdoms, and then tribes with people who live like Indian tribes in between boundaries of the kingdoms. More things that are more like historical times are lack of cell phones because I need my characters to not have those devices on them for certain, eh, tortures I put them through… MWAHAHAHA XD But more modern things are the house-cord-phone things that like no one has anymore LOL. They also have electricity, indoor plumbing, heating and cooling, stoves, fridges, etc. I’m still trying to figure out if they are going to have vehicles or not. What will most likely happen is I give them vehicles that are like some of the first models, so they aren’t very fast I guess. That’s still a work in progress though LOL.

So, it’s my turn to ask a possibly random question XD I can’t remember if you had told me this or not, so sorry if this is a repeat question, but I was wondering if you working on any other writing projects, whether it’s a book, a series, or just fun little short stories? If not, do you write in any other genres?

~ Ally Renee

Rose
                                @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

I love your quote! That’s one of my favorite verses!

LOL I love that! Does your family know by now that you scrambling around looking for a notebook automatically means NEW IDEA?

Well, usually. They also know that when I ask seemingly suspicious questions I’m just writing. XD Questions I’ve actually asked my family: “Theoretically, where would be the best place to hide knives? On your forearms? ” “How long would it take to bleed to death from a cut?” “Hey, how do you plan an assassination?” I promise this is for writing! XD My mother has a medical background, my brother studies a lot of history and my dad knows about basically everything, so I usually get a good answer. But it sounds very, very suspicious when you take it out of context. The troubles of writing action scenes! LOL!

That’s my downfall, trying to write even the most boring scenes in an interesting way that won’t have my readers nodding off or get uninterested in my book.

Oooh! This is my chance to be helpful! I read a really interesting article on how to convey a lot of information without info-dumping and boring your readers.

Swimming with “the Pope in the Pool”

Honestly, it’s such a genius technique! I’ve noticed it in a lot of books since I’ve learned about it, and I’m using it whenever I can! A particularly good example I noticed was in “the False Prince”. The author needed to tell you about the structure of the world and what the country was like, so she put the MC in a classroom situation, but made him constantly misbehave and make snarky comments about what the teacher was trying to teach. You get so interested in his constant sass, that you keep reading and remember all the information.

Whereas some of my other female characters are more stylish and take the time to dress themselves up.

That’s so cool! It’s actually interesting, but stylish female characters who enjoy dressing up and wearing makeup, etc. are really rare in fiction. Unless they’re ‘shallow’ of course. *siggghhh* Although there’s nothing wrong with tomboyish girl characters who don’t like dresses, it’s somehow become standard that ‘good’ characters are tomboys who don’t care what they look like and the antagonists are ‘shallow’ girl characters who dress up. This even happens in a lot of books I adore, which is kind of annoying.

Brotherband is a really good example, I’m sorry to say. The female characters aren’t that good in general, they’re really similar, and Lydia is my least favorite. Unlike other girls, she’s too perfect to spend time on her appearance, and she only wears dresses for special occasions, when she stuns everyone with how stunning she is. Of course, she has no idea of this and thinks she’s plain.  (Do you sense the sarcasm? XD) Who ever came up with the idea that characters with good self-esteem are vain?

One of my favorite things is when there are a bunch of female characters and they’re not all the same! I love that you’re writing those! I love reading about them!

(Sorry for the rant, this is one of my pet peeves XD)

Liorah doesn’t actually look messy on purpose, but she spends most of her time outside, in the sun and dust and with horses, so she gets dusty and dirty really quickly. And her hair somehow always looks as though she just came out of a windstorm, even though she tries to keep it neat, at this point it’s almost a joke XD She had a crush on a boy, and every. single. time. she ran into him she was dusty and dirty XD

Belrac sounds really interesting! I love how you blended modern and historical!

Balls of fire sound like a really effective weapon! I love how you’re blending their weapons and powers! I try to do something similar with my characters’ personalities. Liorah fights with a sling and a scimitar. She’s good with both, but she’s often too reckless and impulsive.

Acyn fights with the scimitar too, but he fights too cautiously, though he’s really good technically. Sahar, the adorable, sweet, bubbly Sahar carries at least three knives on her at all times, and she’s actually more ruthless than Liorah. She’s more black-and-white than Liorah, so an enemy is an enemy and that’s the end of it.

Faye is five feet of tiny, timid, cute, cinnamon roll, but if she really needs to fight, her general philosophy is ‘anything is a weapon if you throw it hard enough.’ In one of the scenes she actually hurls her shoe at someone when she gets trapped. XD This isn’t as ridiculous as it sounds, since it’s a wooden clog and those things are HEAVY! (I may or may not have thrown around some clogs for ‘research purposes’) I wouldn’t like to get hit with one XD

Ferran’s standard weapon is a quarterstaff, which is really fun to write.

Also an interesting character exercise I like to use is what they do when they get trapped in a tough situation. Fight, flight, hide, lie or discuss.

Liorah is fight, Faye is hide or flight, Sahar is lie (that was surprising to find out!), Acyn is discuss and so’s Ferran.

Do you ever use this technique?

I was wondering if you’re working on any other writing projects, whether it’s a book, a series, or just fun little short stories? If not, do you write in any other genres?

Hmm, not currently, since the trilogy is my first project, but I do have a really faint idea for a new book, which is also in a new genre!

Here’s what I have so far:

The genre and setting is a sci-fi/fantasy victorian/steampunk, and I thought it might be fun to have a seamstress for a MC. (I came up with this idea while sewing XD) I also have a vague idea for pirates and a parrot that conjugates Latin verbs. (That would be hilarious! *Squawk* Sum, es, estis, *Squawk*) and something about espionage or royal intrigues. I’m not sure about anything yet, and it’ll probably change a ton, but I’d love to hear your ideas and critiques on the idea!

How about you? Have you ever finished any projects or do you have any new ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest