Hello all!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@lonathecat

Old stuff is really fun LOL. But man that toaster really hung on XD

I don’t eat toast a lot, but when I do I like seedless blackberry jelly 🙂 What do you like on yours? Other than char from fires 😉

Haha, this is really what the quarantine is for; improving ninja skills XD I don’t know if this restaurant is only in my town, but it’s called First Watch, and it’s a breakfast and lunch place and it’s amazing 😀 Our restaurants opened up yesterday, and I’m already trying to plan a brunch day with one of my friends, LOL. How about you? 🙂

Thank you for your support 😉 I enjoy white elephants for the most part. I like the white elephants like what our youth group does where there is nothing super disturbing or creepy that you walk away with XD

Yes, fuzzy socks have my undying loyalty XD

Sometimes, when my dad will go outside with us in the snow, my brothers and I will bombard him with snowballs XD We love our dad, in case you couldn’t tell 😉 But if that doesn’t happen, I like sledding on the tiny hill in our backyard and then going inside to drink hot cocoa or hot tea 🙂

I like that Christmas song too! I think my favorite one is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, though. Also, do you by any chance listen to Pentatonix? I really like listening to some of their Christmas songs 😛 But God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen all the same.

For real! There is no other reason we are so in common XD 😛

~ Ally Renee

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

So sorry it took a while to respond!

Well, I hope I can make Danny interesting.  He isn’t really going to be as important a character in the first couple Elemental books, but I started writing a short story based on him (one that will be part of a compilation of many XD), and I’m honestly enjoying his depressed and broken mind and heart (please ignore how evil and terrible that sounds, LOL).

I totally understand that! One of my favorite techniques for character development is just writing a chapter/scene in their POV. (Either already written about from another POV or something they do alone) Somehow it just helps a lot?

Oh my word that’s amazing XD If I told my brothers everything I’m doing to my characters, they would be like “you are a wicked witch,” or something along those lines XD I like writing imperfect characters too. I think writing a perfect person would be kind of boring, and even kind of hard because they can’t have a single flaw in anything they say and do. But flawed and issue-ridden characters are the best LOL. I can understand that.

LOL! That’s great, my brother is actually the one who will frequently suggest ways to make even more trouble for my characters. XD Usually until I tell him that I know what I’m doing. (That’s either over-confidence or a half-truth though XD)

Speaking about perfect characters, I was revising the character arcs for my first draft and I noticed something quite funny. (No spoilers, it’s already in the summary 😉

Liorah’s older brother, Gavril, though far from perfect, is still a lot better at the whole “leadership and diplomacy” thing than she is. I realized that if their positions had been reversed (Liorah captured and Gavril left to rescue her.) the problem probably would have gotten solved in a chapter or two. XD. But I suppose the whole point of stories is forcing characters out of their comfort zones.

This is gonna sound bad, but I don’t know what “pantsing” is, so I think I prefer plotting XD The plotting is really all I do on the index cards and in my head. Then it’s like a 50/50 chance I’ll actually keep it once I start writing it out LOL.

That’s a perfectly good way of organizing! I can see that it would work really well!

“Pantsing” is ‘writing by the seat of your pants’, also called discovery writing, when you write without an outline or plan. I’ve tried it in between plot points, but it just leads to a lot of frustration and idle typing while going around in circles for me. Though, I have gotten a few good ideas while going around in circles, so that’s something XD.

Okay, random question!

What’s your favorite music genre? And favorite group? and favorite song? (If, like me, you go through phases, what are your current favorites?)

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." ~The Book Thief

Lona
    @lonathecat

@ally-renee

The little toaster that could. XD

Ooh blackberry jelly is good. Except, I think I’m gonna have to go with blueberry, even though toast char can be so desirable. 😉

Cool! I’ve never heard of First Watch, but their food sounds delicious! Did your brunch work out?

Well, everything here is open haha because no one follows the government’s mandates. Very, very, few people actually wear masks or social distance, and it’s still very bad in terms of hospitalization and cases. So it’s not really a question of when things will be open, but when they will be safe to go in. XD Anyways, there’s a taco place I used to go to with my friends on weekends. I look forward to doing that again sometime. 🙂

Yeah, not creepy is always nice. I’m ok with unusual or weird, but there’s a line between strange and disturbing. XD

It’s a good thing to be loyal to. XD (Also, random, but I had to add this haha: so the friends my family is staying with live in an area that’s waaaay colder than where I live, so I finally have a chance to wear my fuzzy socks! I’m way to happy about it haha.)

Oh yes, haha who wouldn’t bombard their dad with snowballs if they had the chance? And speaking of hot drinks, are you a coffee person?

My goodness yes! The Pentatonix Christmas album is one of my family’s go-to’s Christmas music. What are your top 3 favorites of their Christmas music? (If you can pick 3. 🙂 )

😛

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

No need to apologize! No worries whatsoever 🙂

That’s a good technique! I like to do that with all my characters (even if I never use their POV in a book) just so I have practice of writing their emotions and what their personalities look like when I use them in the background or something 😀

Oh wow that’s great XD Brothers sure enjoy helping out with torture don’t they? 😛 😉 At least, mine do sometimes, LOL. Whenever I ask them for ideas for chapters (which is always a mistake XD), they are almost always like “how about everybody dies” LOL. I think you are absolutely right about characters being out of their comfort-zones in writing; I don’t think I’ve ever read a book where the MC was like “I am perfectly happy with everything that is going on, and nothing could ever go wrong” and stays that way through the entire novel XD

Ohhh okay, I didn’t know that that is what it means XD Now that I know that, I can say that I used to do that before I started outlining, and I had the same results as you. I would rewrite entire books that I had written, like, 5 chapters on because I had written myself into a corner or didn’t know what should happen next. Outlining, while tedious for me most of the time, has drastically changed my writing 🙂

Hmm music genre… I like Christian music, but the only songs in that genre that I really listen to are the songs/hymns written by Matt Boswell and Matt Papa. I 100% recommend listening to them if you haven’t; my church sings a lot of their songs for our worship services, and they are SO good! I also listen to a LOT of Pentatonix music, so I would say they are one of my favorite music groups. I constantly change my favorite song, but most of them end up being Pentatonix remakes of songs XD Right now my favorite song is the PTX remake of “Shallow.” I have a bit of an obsession with Pentatonix, in case you couldn’t tell 😉

How about you? 🙂

~ Ally Renee

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@lonathecat

Oh my goodness yes XD That should totally be a new children’s story LOL. “The Little Toaster That Could… Burn a House Down” XD

Mmmm that sound good too. Please excuse me as my mouth waters 😛

Their food is so good 🙂 We haven’t finalized a date for our brunch, mostly because of holidays and whatnot, but we shall figure something out XD

Ohhh we have that here too XD Everyone here is so tired of the masks and stuff by now LOL. I mean, they’re not entirely breaking the laws, but they don’t always consider others XD I hope you can go to that taco place again soon! 😀 That sounds like so much fun!

Yes, creepy and disturbing presents that will haunt your dreams are not the most desirable things to attain XD

YAY THE FUZZY SOCKS SHALL BE WORN!!!! IT IS A GLORIOUS TIME XD There is no such thing as being too happy about wearing fuzzy socks 😉

Wait, I can only pick THREE?!?! XD Well, I guess I shall pick “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,” “Carol of the Bells,” and “Little Drummer Boy.” I also have a soft spot for “White Winter Hymnal,” even though it isn’t really Christmas. The reason for that is because when I was in choir, we performed that song and I was in the hand-beat group! It was so much fun 🙂 We altered the hand movements to make it easier for us homeschoolers 😉 A project I’m working on now is learning all of the original hand movements XD

How about you? What are your favorites? 🙂

~ Ally Renee

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@ally-renee

Hello!!! Welcome to StoryEmbers!!!!

Jominkreesa

Wouldyouratherstayalive,justtostayalive?Orbeamartyrforsomethinghigherthanyourself?

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@kimlikesart

Hi! Thank you so much!! 😀

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

Oh wow that’s great XD Brothers sure enjoy helping out with torture don’t they?     At least, mine do sometimes, LOL. Whenever I ask them for ideas for chapters (which is always a mistake XD), they are almost always like “how about everybody dies” LOL.

IKR? I guess that’s just what brothers are like. XD One of the greatest compliments I’ve ever received from him is: “Okay, you can’t possibly make that any worse.” *Said in a satisfied voice* XD He likes very fast-paced books as I do, but we both like happy endings too, so I always have to clean up the problems I’ve made for my characters. Happy endings are harder than tough middles XD

Ohhh okay, I didn’t know that that is what it means XD Now that I know that, I can say that I used to do that before I started outlining, and I had the same results as you. I would rewrite entire books that I had written, like, 5 chapters on because I had written myself into a corner or didn’t know what should happen next. Outlining, while tedious for me most of the time, has drastically changed my writing

I totally agree! Discovery writing works for a ton of people, but I’m not one of them. I really dislike outlining, since I never can come up with ideas. Until I have one tiny idea and everything clicks into place in the most spectacular manner. That’s the best feeling in the world XD

How about you?

That’s cool! Pentatonix has some really awesome music! I’ve heard a few of their songs. I like those hymns too! I just looked them up, and they’re really nice!

For genre, I listen to almost everything XD. Opera, Christian rock, classical music, pop, and almost everything in between. My favorite groups are probably For King& Country, Casting Crowns, MercyMe, Tenth Avenue North, Lindsey Stirling (Some songs), and Owl City (Some songs). (Okay, that’s a lot XD) My favorite songs are probably… “Ceasefire” and “Amen” by For King& Country. Though I have some songs I get somewhat obsessed with and listen to on repeat for days XD The current one is “We Win” by MercyMe.

Next random question! If you could learn one skill (not superpower) immediately, what would it be? Mine would probably be sword fighting. (I read too much, LOL)

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." ~The Book Thief

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Howdy Rose!

LOL, brothers, amirite? XD 😉 While I too love happy endings, sometimes happy endings aren’t always needed, ya know? Sometimes I love a good bittersweet ending if it’s just right (I’m trying that out with my other work-in-progress :P). Sometimes, some of my characters need the problems XD But I can totally understand loving happy endings! I love them a lot too 🙂

Same! I wish discovery writing worked out for me, because sometimes I don’t have enough time (or discipline XD) to work on my outlines. Though, since it’s really the only thing that works right now, I guess I’ll stick with it 😉

Wow that’s a lot of music LOL 😉 Nothing wrong with listening to a lot of music! I’ve listened to most of those groups and I’ve liked what I heard! I don’t generally listen to Lindsey Stirling, but I have heard she’s great! I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of Owl City, but I may go look them up 😛 I love “Ceasefire!” 😀 That’s one of my absolute favorite For King & Country songs!

Oooo, that’s a cool skill to learn! No, there is no such thing as reading too much LOL 😉 I would probably have to choose the skill of being a master pianist XD I know a few basic things, but I think it would be cool to know how to play virtually every song almost flawlessly. I also enjoy singing, so maybe the skill of singing with an enormous vocal range 🙂

Okay, now it’s my turn to ask a random question XD Hmm, what’s your favorite movie (if you have one)? If you are torn – like I almost always am when it comes to that question LOL – then how about top 5 movies? 😀

~ Ally Renee

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Heya Ally!

Sometimes I love a good bittersweet ending if it’s just right (I’m trying that out with my other work-in-progress :P)

I totally agree! I’ve only written one ending so far, and it was quite bittersweet. I do like them when they’re done well, but too often, they only come off as disappointing. On the other hand, perfectly rounded off, perfectly happy endings where all the ‘dead’ characters resurrect and join the victory celebration feel rather fake XD

Wow that’s a lot of music LOL   Nothing wrong with listening to a lot of music! I’ve listened to most of those groups and I’ve liked what I heard! I don’t generally listen to Lindsey Stirling, but I have heard she’s great! I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of Owl City, but I may go look them up

That’s so cool! If you want to listen to Lindsey Stirling and Owl city, my favorite songs by them are: “Something Wild” (Lindsey Stirling) and “Fireflies” or “Galaxies” (Owl City.)

I love “Ceasefire!”   That’s one of my absolute favorite For King & Country songs!

That’s awesome! The first time I listened to it, it got stuck in my head for two days straight. (Not an exaggeration!)

I would probably have to choose the skill of being a master pianist XD I know a few basic things, but I think it would be cool to know how to play virtually every song almost flawlessly. I also enjoy singing, so maybe the skill of singing with an enormous vocal range

That’s an awesome choice! It’s so cool that you play some piano! Do you play any other instruments?

Okay, now it’s my turn to ask a random question XD Hmm, what’s your favorite movie (if you have one)? If you are torn – like I almost always am when it comes to that question LOL – then how about top 5 movies?

Excellent question!

Hmm, I think: “Signed, Sealed, and Delivered” (A series) is one of my absolute favorites! Whoever wrote the story was really, really good at it! It makes me very happy as a writer to watch it, since the plot, conflict, stakes, pacing, characters, backstory, etc., etc. are perfect!

My other favorites are:

“Singing in the Rain” (I love that movie! I have a weakness for old musicals.) Also some really good writing for that one.

“Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron” That movie is amazing.

“Behind the Mask” Also really cool and exciting!

I’d say those are my favorites! What are yours?

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi Rose!

Yeah I agree. I think some bitter-sweet endings that I read/watch, if not done entirely well, just turn up as plain out bitter to me. And the other end of the spectrum is so overplayed I think XD Well, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I feel like a lot of movies, tv shows, and books use the happy-endings-where-everything-and-everyone-are-okay approach 😛 Honestly, that’s probably why Rogue One and other movies like that turn out so well and everybody loves them because the endings are the flat-out opposite LOL.

Ooo okay! I will check those out! They sound intriguing. And literally the same thing with “Ceasefire;” I saw For King & Country at a concert, and they played that song and I was singing it for days on end, LOL!

Aww, thanks! 😀 The only other instrument that I kind of know how to play is the ukulele, but I am self-taught XD And when I say “play,” I really mean that I know a couple cords and know how to strum 😛 But I think I would choose piano over ukulele if I was given the chance to master a skill. Do you play any instruments? 🙂

I think I have heard of “Signed, Sealed, and Delivered,” but I have never seen it. That might go into my movie-watching list 😉 I like your list of favorites!

I believe some of my favorite movies would be “Knives Out,” “The Princess Bride,” “Pride and Prejudice,” “The Greatest Showman,” and the first “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie (I have only seen the first three movies of that series, but the second and third just made me feel sad at the ends, LOL). “Knives Out” is probably my most favorite. I loved the plot, the characters, and the way that the mystery wasn’t just revealed in the first fifteen minutes. And I have a soft spot for humor, and that movie always makes me laugh XD I could have done without the profuse language – I wouldn’t recommend watching this movie if you or your parents are sensitive about language, but if not, I found that movie pretty great 😛

~ Ally Renee

Lona
    @lonathecat

@ally-renee

Send it to the publishers. XD

Oh, ok. Well holidays are fun too. 😛

In any case, I hope you have fun with your brunch.

Haha yeah I can understand how people are tired. Though here, people never really listened in the first place. XD They’ve always kind of ignored the fact that there’s a pandemic and continued life.

I’m glad I have someone who can rejoice with me over fuzzy socks lol. 😛

Ooh yes God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman and Little Drummer Boy are great! They’re probably tied for my favorite. That’s so cool that you did a thing with the hand motions! When I watched the Winter Hymnal music video I was just like O.O . Consider me impressed. XD I also like their The First Noel, just because The First Noel is another older Christmas song I really like. 🙂

You may have mentioned this already, so I’m sorry if I’m forgetting, but did you get you Christmas break? If so, what is your go-to thing to do with your free time?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Heya Ally!

Ooo okay! I will check those out! They sound intriguing. And literally the same thing with “Ceasefire;” I saw For King & Country at a concert, and they played that song and I was singing it for days on end, LOL!

It’s so cool that you saw For King& Country at a concert! I actually discovered them pretty recently (earlier this year) but I LOVE their music. The other song that really got stuck was “Wholehearted” I had that stuck in my head throughout Algebra one morning. It was a bit distracting XD

Aww, thanks!   The only other instrument that I kind of know how to play is the ukulele, but I am self-taught XD And when I say “play,” I really mean that I know a couple of cords and know how to strum   But I think I would choose piano over ukulele if I was given the chance to master a skill. Do you play any instruments?

That’s really cool! I only know one instrument. I’ve been playing the Celtic harp for six years, and I really love it! If I had to choose one other instrument to learn it would probably be a cello or something in the lute family.

I think I have heard of “Signed, Sealed, and Delivered,” but I have never seen it. That might go into my movie-watching list   I like your list of favorites!

Yes! I can’t recommend it enough! The story writing, acting, and photography makes me happy in so many ways! I also love that it’s a Christian movie, but not in a preachy way, it’s just worked into the story perfectly!

I believe some of my favorite movies would be “Knives Out,” “The Princess Bride,” “Pride and Prejudice,” “The Greatest Showman,” and the first “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie

That’s so cool! I don’t know any of those except Pride and Prejudice. I’ve been trying to find “The Princess Bride” but it’s surprisingly hard to find. Thanks for the recommendations!

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@lonathecat

Hi friend! Merry Christmas! Sorry for the late response, I have had quite a busy week LOL. Don’t worry, I’m still alive 😉

I shall contact the publishers immediately XD

Aww thanks! I hope it works out too LOL.

Oh wow XD I know that some people down here are like that too, but there are a LOT of cautious (and some I daresay are a bit overly cautious), but there are definitely some who are like “eh, it can’t hurt me.” XD I consider myself in-between cautious and not really caring LOL.

Yes same. Fuzzy socks need to be rejoiced in as many times as people can manage 😉 They are wonderful creations that need awareness XD

Thanks! White Winter Hymnal was my favorite thing to do for the choir concert 😀 I auditioned for the alto part (though I can do the soprano part now XD) but I’m glad I didn’t get the part so that I could be a hand-percussionist LOL. The music video for that song is amazing 0.0 We also did “Mary Did You Know” for that concert, and “That’s Christmas to Me” (altered) for our next Christmas concert, but WWH was so much fun 😀 Oooo, “The First Noel” is a really good one. Really, I just love all their Christmas songs XD

You’re totally fine! Yes, my brothers and I got on Christmas break last week. I’m so happy XD I think my whole family was ready for a break, to be honest LOL.

Random Christmas question! If you have opened any of your presents yet, what would your favorite(s) be? If you haven’t opened any yet, then disregard the question XD

~ Ally Renee

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi friend! Merry Christmas!! 😀

It was so much fun to see them at a concert! They had a whole lot of drums set up behind them that they and other musicians performing with them would run around and switch between. It was awesome, especially because they’re playing the music live instead of singing with a track 😀 Oh my, I can see how that can be distracting LOL. But honestly there are worse songs you could get stuck in your head XD

Oh wow that’s so cool! That sounds like an awesome instrument to play!

Cool! Definitely will look into it 😉

Does your family have Disney+? I think the Princess Bride is on there. If you are going to watch Pride and Prejudice, I would recommend reading the novel first because there is a lot of social “laws” in that book that are important in the story that aren’t really explained in the movie. It helped me understand the movie and main story in general XD But obviously, you do you XD I think the shorter Pride and Prejudice movie is on Netflix (there’s like a 5 hour movie, but I haven’t dared crossed that bridge yet XD).

Random Christmas question! If you have opened any of your presents yet, what would your favorite(s) be? If you haven’t opened any yet, then disregard the question XD

~ Ally Renee

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest