fb

Hello all!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

It’s so cool how you choose your names! I love the sound of Mordred and Belrac, and the human names are really cool too!

My personal way of coming up with names is baby name websites😂 Sometimes they have meanings, but more often than not, it’s just “I like the way it sounds”. I do try to keep my names from the same languages.

I use a lot of Persian, Hebrew, Arabic, and Turkish names since my current WIP is set in a North-African/Middle-east-inspired country. The biggest trouble is when I find a name I really like, but can’t pronounce. I have a character named Acyn, and at first, I called him “Ay-sin” then later thought it was “As-sein”. I had to look it up, and it actually is “Ay-sin”😂

For fantasy names, I often use Google-translate. I pick a word and translate it into a bunch of different languages until I find something that sounds nice. For example, some of the countries in my world are named: Terrenpla (Plains-land), Liqeni (Lake-land), Yerasht, (Wilderness), and Tirbren (Hill-land). They seem a lot less original when you translate them back😂

Yes, Penny is really lovely, and she looks very sweet! What’s she like, personality-wise?

My current WIP is a Middle-east-inspired fantasy, it’s actually a trilogy, and I’m writing the second book and editing the first. I’m having a lot of fun with it! I can send you a summary if you like?

And did you draw your profile picture? It looks really cool!

Thank you so much! Yes, I did draw it! That’s my main character, Liorah. She’s a lot of fun to write and to draw.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@lonathecat

Aww, thanks! I like Allie as a nickname a lot. I kind of wish my name was actually a nickname for, like, Allison or Alyssa, because I get so annoyed when people call me Allison or other names because they assume that Ally is my nickname LOL.

Oh my goodness, one of my brothers is the same way! I’m always asking him for tech help, and he does it in like a shockingly short amount of time, while I still don’t understand how the HDMIs work on our tv 😛 He is also two years younger than me, so I wonder if that is just a thing with brothers who are younger by two years 😉

Thanks! I’m glad you like the title; I still don’t know how I feel about it, LOL 😉 And I hope the stories are as intriguing as you say the title is!

I may try to find a way to put a Google docs link out on Story Embers that you could use the comment function on… which I would have to ask my tech-savvy brother for help with XD And if I can’t do that, then I may resort to email, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. But, if it is not asking too much of you, it would be great if you could critique the first part of that story! 😀

Thanks! ~ Ally Renee

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Lona
    @lonathecat

@ally-renee

Ah the same thing happens to me! Not with Allie, though, a different nickname. My other nickname is Jeni (full name is Jennalie; Allie is from chopping of the first part, Jeni is from chopping of the second :P) and my soccer coach was dead set on calling me Jenifer since he heard me called Jeni.  Very annoying haha.

If you could pick Ally to be a nickname for a name, which name would you want it to be? 🙂

My goodness we must be twins or something lol.

Sounds great! I’d love to critique it! I’m not an expert at it for sure, but so long as you don’t mind that, then sounds good. 😀

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Hello friend!

Thanks, I’m glad you enjoy my stream-of-thought process for making up weird names 😉 I’m glad you like them!

I too sometimes resort to baby name sites, LOL. I mostly use them for coming up with middle names for my characters whenever I want to make a character sheet for them, or if I am just really struggling to think of a name. I also pick names mostly based on how they sound, so don’t feel too bad about that LOL. Sometimes, though, I want a specific name if it will have something to do with an Elemental’s power (Penny’s middle name is Ashlynn, which I picked because her power is fire, so ASHlynn, LOL). I also use fantasy name generators if my brain cannot think of any sounds that seem good together (though I just use those as inspiration).

Ooo, I like that idea of using names from different languages! I tried to do that once when I wanted a specific name that had something to do with “controlling minds” (also for Elemental XD), and the best one I found was Manasavi, which I believe is Indian, but I have no idea if I was pronouncing it correctly, so I just ditched it and strove for that character to have a different name, LOL. Preferably one that I could pronounce 😉

I like those country names! That’s such a cool process to come up with them too! I find them super creative and original even after they’re translated back 😉

Ah, Penny… while she does have her sweet side (mostly when it comes to her brother and eventually, as the story goes on, she’s nice to more), she is mostly sassy and headstrong. I have her that way because the first 17 years of her life, her mother kept her hidden (for obvious reasons), and while she understood some of it, Rebecca did keep some secrets from Alex and Penny. So when the secrets were revealed to them, Penny had trust issues with most people after that. She really only felt close to Alexander because she didn’t know who she could trust after her mother lied to her. Don’t worry, though, she gets friendlier as the story goes on; the other six main characters break through the stone wall of her guarded heart. I know that sounds corny, but oh well, it was the best analogy I could think of LOL.

Oh wow, that’s so cool! I like the setting for your story; I don’t see a lot of Middle-East settings in stories nowadays. I would love a summary!

And ooo, I love the name Liorah! It’s such a pretty name! Also, your art is amazing!! 😀 She looks so cool! Just from your profile picture, she seems like such a fun character to write and even read!

~ Ally Renee

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@lonathecat

Ooo, Jennalie is such a pretty name! I love that! I can totally feel your frustration with that though, LOL. Another small reason that I wish my name was actually a nickname is because people almost never hear me correctly when I’m introducing myself XD They will most always hear Halley or something of the sort. And I used to work as a waitress as a retirement home, and the residents could never get my name right. I’ve been called Halley, Ellie, Abby, Annie, Callie, and Elizabeth XD Elizabeth was the one that really stuck with them, for some reason, so I just went with it. Even to this day if someone says “Elizabeth,” I will turn my head around thinking they’re calling for me XD

Hmm, I would probably want my name to be Alyssa, mostly because I know other Allies whose full names are Allison, so I would change it up 😛 I also like the nickname Lissa for Alyssa, so it would be a win-win 😉

We must be twins, LOL. Kindred spirits we are 😉

You’re so sweet, thanks!! 😀 I’ll let you know when I have finished it (which may take a while because I have a truckload of school to do in the upcoming week XD). I just think my stories need all the help they can get, both expert and not 😉 Thanks again!

~ Ally Renee

Lona
    @lonathecat

@ally-renee

Aw, thanks!

My goodness haha, how’d they jump from Ally to Elizabeth? That sounds irritating, but I guess if it’s elderly people, they’re pretty loveable anyways. 😛

Ooh yes, Alyssa is nice, since more nicknames are always fun. 😀

Indeed. XD

Oh yeah, no rush. I have midterms next week so I get ya there. School will be pretty hectic the next couple of days…. Such fun. XD

Glad you don’t mind! Also, one other thing I realized I should mention; I am more of an overall type of feedback person that can give thoughts on characters/plots/transitions/arcs/development. I am absolutely terrible at little detail things like grammar and commas. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hello Ally!

That’s so cool! I can tell you put a lot of thought into your characters!

Penny sounds amazing! And Penelope Ashlynn is such a cool name!

I actually don’t give my characters middle names, but Liorah is a princess, so her full title is: Her Royal Highness Liorah, daughter of Shemaiah of the Lehabim. Quite a mouthful.😂 I usually use the ‘son of’ and ‘daughter of’ naming system, since it fits with the setting. Liorah actually hates being addressed by her full title, her friends just call her Liorah and everyone else calls her Princess, or Princess Liorah.

I love Penny’s personality! I adore sassy and stubborn characters, they’re so much fun. I have a soft spot for snarky and sarcastic characters, which is probably how Liorah ended up as one of them.😂

It’s so cool how you designed Penny’s family relationships! It’s interesting because Liorah has a very similar relationship with her older brother, Gavril, and her mother. She’s very close to Gavril but feels a bit more distant toward her mother, though it isn’t quite distrustful. They often disagree, especially since Liorah is very independent and often stubborn. I love writing sibling relationships! I noticed I have quite a lot of them in my stories😂 What’s your favorite kind of relationship to write?

How did you go about developing Penny’s character?

Your character development for Penny sounds really good! Character arcs are something I still need to work on.

Oh wow, that’s so cool! I like the setting for your story; I don’t see a lot of Middle-East settings in stories nowadays. I would love a summary!

Thank you so much!

Here’s a summary:

The book’s title is: “The Tribe of Sand and Azure

Seven tribes live in harmony in the deserts of Yerasht, or so it seems. A powerful tribe waits for an opportunity to rule the land unchallenged.

When the newly crowned king of the Lehabim is captured in an unexpected attack, impulsive princess Liorah must find a way to save her brother.

With the aid of her friends, bubbly Sahar and cynical Acyn, Liorah must rescue her brother before it is too late. If she fails, all she holds dear is lost. The enemy, Hakan, ruler of the Kezbes, will stop at nothing to destroy her family and her tribe.

Liorah becomes entwined in a war bigger and more dangerous than she bargained for. Not everyone is to be trusted and nothing is as it seems in the deserts and cities of Yerasht.

I’d really appreciate any constructive criticism on the summary!

And ooo, I love the name Liorah! It’s such a pretty name! Also, your art is amazing!!   She looks so cool! Just from your profile picture, she seems like such a fun character to write and even read!

Thank you so much! That’s really sweet of you! I love her name too, it’s a Hebrew name that means “Light upon me”. The original spelling was Leora, but I changed it a bit😂

She is really fun, but she’s far from perfect, which makes her so much fun to write!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@ally-renee

1. That’s so cool that you drew your profile pic!

2. Your WIP sounds really, really fun.

3.  It’s sorta my tradition to ask newbies a random question, so here goes: What board game do you despise the most?

"I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell."

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@lonathecat

Haha, I think that there was actually a woman that worked at the retirement home named Elizabeth, and the residents were convinced that she and I were identical. In reality, the only thing she and I have in common is brown hair XD She left while I was still working, but her name still stuck with me I guess LOL. But yes, for the most part, they are very lovable 😉

Yes, more nicknames are fun, but only when the name can actually have good nicknames in my opinion XD Once my youngest brother called me Al, and I was like “yeah, how about no.” LOL

Ah yes, the wondrous joys of the right-before-Christmas-break-testing-time-that-will-surely-make-our-brains-leak-out-our-ears XD So much fun, LOL.

Oh, that’s the exact kind of critiquing I need! I have other people I send my drafts to that correct my grammar and punctuation for me LOL. Thanks again for like the millionth time! 😀

~ Ally Renee

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi Rose!

Aww thanks! Indeed, I do, LOL. I’m glad you like Penelope Ashlynn 😀 I was considering changing Penny’s first name to Ashlynn, but I don’t want to write siblings whose names start with the same letter, so she’s stuck with Penelope, LOL.

Oh wow I love Liorah’s title 😀 Though you are right; it is quite the mouthful XD But it sounds so regal! I guess I can understand why Liorah hates it though, LOL.

Haha, thanks! I’m honestly not great at writing out snarky characters so this is a first for me 😉 I hope she turns out alright, though. Oh man, I can tell I’m gonna love Liorah already XD I bet if she and Penny ever met up they’d be best friends in an instant LOL.

Aww, I love writing sibling relationships too! Liorah and Gavril sound so much like Penny and Alex (at least relationship wise)! I love your characters already LOL. While I enjoy writing sibling relationships, I really enjoy writing parent-child relationships. In my other WIP, two of the characters start growing a parent-child relationship, and it’s so much fun to write, in my opinion! I also like writing love-interest relationships (spoiler alert, there’s a lot of that in the Elemental series XD), but I think parent-sibling is my favorite. What’s your favorite?

So I’m sure that there is a more technical way to develop characters, but the way I did it was this: I plotted the overarching idea of the story first, and then I put myself in Penny’s shoes and asked myself questions, kind of along the lines of “How would I feel if I were in this situation?” Penny goes through a LOT in the first Elemental book (lies, discovering who she and Alex really are, sudden and unexpected responsibility that means life or death, etc.), so her character is going to change a lot. Again, I don’t think my way is the greatest way LOL. One of my friends that also enjoys writing recommended a book called “Creating Character Arcs” by K.M. Weiland that has really helped her with writing her own characters’ personalities and whatnot. I’m sure that the book has a better process than my amateur way XD But that’s what I did for Penny, at least.

Oooo I loved that summary!!! That sounds like such a cool story! I thought the summary was fantastic! No criticism from me 🙂 And Liorah’s name is still awesome 😀 Imperfect characters are the best to write, LOL. I would totally by this book whenever it becomes published 😉

~ Ally Renee

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@mischievous-thwapling

1: Thanks! I mean, if you count coloring someone else’s artwork to look like someone you’re writing, then thanks XD 😉

2: Aww, thank you so much! 😀

3: Ooo, I love random questions, LOL. Hmm, it’s a tie between Pandemic and Ticket to Ride. I always lose in Pandemic, and I hate losing XD And whenever my family and I play Ticket to Ride it’s so frustrating because we always block each other’s tracks on purpose. *huff* it’s so frustrating, LOL 😉 May I ask what your most despised board game is? 😛

~ Ally Renee

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ally-renee

Hi Ally!

Oh wow I love Liorah’s title   Though you are right; it is quite the mouthful XD But it sounds so regal! I guess I can understand why Liorah hates it though, LOL.

Thank you! Liorah isn’t a very regal person, so I understand why she dislikes it XD An actual line of dialogue from the second book:

(Context: Liorah is leaving to visit a neighboring country (Liqeni) for a while.)

“If there’s a formal event in Liqeni, I’m wearing my riding boots and sword.” (I said)
    Mother’s eyes widened.
    “No, you’re not,” she warned.
    I smiled. The mental image of the horror on the snooty courtiers’ faces was magnificent.

I actually feel sorry for Liorah’s mother. This isn’t the first time something like that has happened XD

Haha, thanks! I’m honestly not great at writing out snarky characters so this is a first for me   I hope she turns out alright, though. Oh man, I can tell I’m gonna love Liorah already XD I bet if she and Penny ever met up they’d be best friends in an instant LOL.

Yes! I think Liorah would really like Penny! I’m actually surprised how easily Liorah’s sarcasm came through in the story. I wasn’t even planning it in the first place, but she insisted XD. My favorite snarky character is probably Sage, from “The False Prince” by Jennifer Nielsen. Have you heard of it? It’s really well-written, with a great plot and characters. Sage is probably my favorite part of the books, he has an amazing character voice.

Aww, I love writing sibling relationships too! Liorah and Gavril sound so much like Penny and Alex (at least relationship wise)! I love your characters already LOL. While I enjoy writing sibling relationships, I really enjoy writing parent-child relationships. In my other WIP, two of the characters start growing a parent-child relationship, and it’s so much fun to write, in my opinion! I also like writing love-interest relationships (spoiler alert, there’s a lot of that in the Elemental series XD), but I think parent-sibling is my favorite. What’s your favorite?

Thank you! I’m so glad you like my characters!

This is going to sound weird, but I actually really enjoy writing characters who don’t like each other XD. It makes for a lot of conflicts, sarcasm, and creative insults. Sibling relationships, parent-child relationships, and friendships are also really fun. I actually really struggle with writing love-interest relationships. I’m trying to add those to my story, but it’s not going as I hoped.😅 Do you have any tips on those?

So I’m sure that there is a more technical way to develop characters, but the way I did it was this: I plotted the overarching idea of the story first, and then I put myself in Penny’s shoes and asked myself questions, kind of along the lines of “How would I feel if I were in this situation?” Penny goes through a LOT in the first Elemental book (lies, discovering who she and Alex really are, sudden and unexpected responsibility that means life or death, etc.), so her character is going to change a lot.

That’s a really good way! That’s basically what I try to do. I actually have the character arcs book, but I’ve yet to study it😳

Oooo I loved that summary!!! That sounds like such a cool story! I thought the summary was fantastic! No criticism from me   And Liorah’s name is still awesome   Imperfect characters are the best to write, LOL. I would totally by this book whenever it becomes published.

Thank you so much! I’m glad you like it!

How far are you on your book? What’s your word count and what’s your goal? Do you have a line of dialogue (or any line actually) that you’re really proud of? (No spoilers, please😉)

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@ally-renee

Your welcome! And thanks! 😀

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@rose-colored-fancy

Haha, I get that! I have some royal characters in Elemental that don’t act very regal either LOL. Poor Liorah’s mom 🙁 XD

I have heard of “The False Prince,” but I have not read it. Adding it to my reading list now 😉

You’re welcome! 😀

Don’t worry, I don’t think that’s weird XD. I like writing those too! I have those relationships too in Elemental (snarky characters tend to do that I guess, LOL). Umm I don’t know if I have any good tips, sorry! I’m sure there’s a book on that somewhere out in the world, but I’m just kinda winging my romantic writing XD I would share some of my romantic writing with you, but it spoils some of the “ships” in Elemental LOL.

Oh thanks! I’m happy that I’m not the only one 😉 I’m thinking about ordering that book soon, so maybe we could study it together XD

You are so welcome! 😀

Ahaha, so I have really only written the prologue and a tiny bit of the first chapter LOL. My word count is 2,725, and my goal is to write out around 30 chapters. I have not been as diligent in my writing as I think I should, and I really need to work on that :/ But I think that my favorite line so far is this (and I don’t think it’s a spoiler…) :

“Do you ever wonder what it’s like to live your life in hiding? Never feeling the sun on your skin, never venturing out of your front door, never interacting with other people because you live in fear? Or, at least, others around you live in fear. Yeah, that pretty much sums up my life right now.” – Penelope Lane

That’s the intro paragraph to the first chapter, and I hope it’s a good one LOL. I may edit it once I finish the entire draft of the first book, though. I like it because I think it gives readers a sense of how Penny feels about her situation that I am going to describe in the next few paragraphs. How she doesn’t agree with everything her mother is doing and whatnot.

What’s your favorite line that you feel most accomplished about? 🙂

~ Ally Renee

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@wingiby-iggiby

You are so welcome! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest