fb

Hello! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Hello writers of Story Embers!

Unlike most of you I do not write. Though I do have an interest in visual storytelling (such as illustration or animation) which do have a few similarities to writing. Both require a lot of outlining and character planning, but instead of slaving away editing and rewording sentences I find myself slaving (not literally.. Though at times it feels like it.) away in my sketchbook.

You most likely wont be seeing too much of me until more content for artists becomes available, but a short conversation with @christieaton (I was inquiring about the development of the art department) convinced me to go ahead and make an account on SE now rather then later. 🙂

I currently do not have any ongoing projects though i’d like to start something soon as it would be good to get that experience.

I’ve only been purposely practicing drawing (and sometimes painting) since 2016, so I still consider myself to be a beginner but my hope is that I can develop my skills and use them to glorify God! 🙂

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@the-fledgling-artist, Vip (my tiny dragon) and I welcome you! I write, but I do draw and paint a bit. However, I don’t really think I’ll take part in art discussions ever.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Hi @the-fledgling-artist! Welcome to Story Embers!

I’m glad you joined! I wish we had more artists here! What kind of art do you like to do the most: sketching, painting, etc.? What kind of things do you like to draw best?

My artistical abilities in that area are limited to elephants and stick people. And a wolf. One time.

~ Evelyn

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@nuetrobolt My thanks to both you, and your super cool dragon! Do you use acrylic, watercolor, or oil when you paint?  What kind of stories do you enjoy writing most?

Hello @evelyn (wow what a pretty name!) Most of the time it’s sketching with ballpoint pens or pencils. Every once in a while I get out my watercolors, and recently I’ve been experimenting with markers and colored pencils.
    My usual subjects are people and animals (the animals have been more a recent thing) though I’d love to start doing more urban sketching, and landscapes! Oh yeah! And I want to get better at plants! 🙂 Wow what a mouthful.
    Elephants are so cute! I think I’ve only ever drawn two elephants in my whole life and neither were very memorable.

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@the-fledgling-artist, I have a painting kit (I don’t really paint my own stuff) which has instructions and you have to use acrylic and watercolour for all the pictures.

I like writing fantasy.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@the-fledgling-artist, I like drawing dragons.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@nuetrobolt Cool! Ha ha I should have guessed fantasy was your thing. What with you having your own dragon and all. 😉 Have you ever drawn Vip before?

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@the-fledgling-artist, well, I drew a horrible picture of him, but not a properly done one.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@the-fledgling-artist Thanks for the compliment. Water-color seems to hard to control – and just painting in general. I forgot to mention I like to doodle and mess around with handwriting and fonts with my favorite quotes or verses.

What do you plan to do with your love of drawing? Do you plan to illustrate books, animate, both? Something else? Etc.?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Also how do you plan to develop your drawing? Take classes? Just draw every day? And where do you get your inspiration?

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@nuetrobolt I bet it wasn’t as bad as you think it was 🙂 (Artists tend to be very hard on themselves)

@evelyn
    Ooh that’s cool! I’ve tried brush lettering before and it’s hard!

There’s a lot that you can do with art.. And while I’m not quite sure where i’m going with mine, I could see myself as really enjoying illustrating children’s books or making a graphic novel.

Hmm Inspiration is a funny thing. I’m not sure what exactly inspires me.. I guess any time I see art that is skillfully used to convey a story or message It inspires me. My sisters (Both my older and younger) also draw and I think their art inspires me too sometimes. 🙂

As for developing, I would love to take classes for art.. But for many reasons it seem’s impractical for me during this time. What I’ve been doing since 2016 is trying to draw for at least a few minutes daily, and just doing that I’ve seen some improvement. So I’ll probably just keep doing what i’m doing. 🙂

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@the-fledgling-artist Well I don’t do brush lettering, I use markers and felt tip pens. I think I’ve read two graphic novel. Would you come up with your own story or would you take a novel and turn it into graphic novel?

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@the-fledgling-artist, it was not shaded, and it was in a tiny crowded space on the front page of my binder, where I doodle. It is so crowded on that page, so nothing is very good quality. The dragon pictures I’ve drawn are for my latest book, and I did them all on nice paper, and I shaded and stuff. They still aren’t very good.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@evelyn Well that sounds just as hard, so good for you! 🙂
    Oh I would for sure come up with my own stories. <3

@nuetrobolt
    *shrug* That’s okay. Most of what I do is on crowded sketchbook or notebook pages. A quote I really like concerning art is “Finished, not perfect.”

Evelyn
    @evelyn
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest