fb

Hello

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Elena N
    @elena-n

Hi! I’m Elena.

I’m a young writer who really cares about stories. So I’m also a bookworm. I’ve mostly read classics, but I’m starting to read some newer stuff. My favorite books definitely include the Lord of the Rings, The Green Ember, The Wingfeather Saga, and An Old-Fashioned Girl, and the list could go on for a while.

I’ve finished two novels so far and started several others. Most of my ideas are fantasy, but I’ve had a few sci-fi ones. I’m also directing/writing an audio drama for a second year, and co-host a writing podcast.

I’d like to make storytelling a career, but in what way I’m still figuring out.

I don’t know if I’ll be super active on here, but it would be great to meet some of you!

When the darkness presses around, the light will shine brighter.

Valkyrie Falk
    @valkyrie-falk

Hi! I’m Valkyrie Falk! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WINGFEATHER SAGA!!! Good books!

My favorite type of story is definitely fantasy. I mostly write that too, besides the few exceptions of superheroes like Dumpster Dude and Lagger Dagger.

Heywire is the best kind of wire.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@elena-n

Hi Elena! I’m Rose, pleased to meet you!

Wow, finished two novels already!! That’s really impressive!

Most of my ideas are fantasy, but I’ve had a few sci-fi ones. I’m also directing/writing an audio drama for a second year, and co-host a writing podcast.

I’m mostly a fantasy writer too, though I recently had a murder mystery idea, which will be a lot of fun to write!

I’d love to know more about your podcast! Is there anywhere I can find it?

Do you have a WIP? What’s it about?

What’s your favorite character you’ve ever written?

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Elena N
    @elena-n

@valkyrie-falk

Hi Valkyrie!

The Wingfeather Saga is really good!!! I really like the all characters, world, and story. Who’s your favorite character?

Elena N
    @elena-n

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi Rose, it’s nice to meet you as well!

They weren’t super good novels, but I had fun writing them. 🙂

A murder mystery sounds fun! Would you want to share more about it?

The podcast is called Write on Cue you can either check it out on spotify or go to our site, which is writeoncuepodcast.com

Right now I’m working on a Fantasy which is currently called Colours, though I hope to rename it soon. It’s about a girl, Helene, who is banished from her town in a world where art can come to life and colours can change emotions. But the people banished art and colour to keep themselves safe from it being abused. As a result of that and a few other things, their world is slowly dying and Helene has to try to save it. I really like the world and characters so far.

My favorite character? Hmm…that’s hard. I really don’t know. I like all my characters. In my last WIP I had a cute little robot guy that was fun. Do you have a favorite character that you’ve written?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@elena-n I’ve mostly read classics, too! Have you read A Tale of Two Cities? It’s my favorite book! And the Lord of the Rings is so good! I have been continuously reading the series (for one reason or another) since 2016. Do you have a favorite LotR character (from the book)?

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Elena N
    @elena-n

@emily-waldorf

I have read A Tale of Two Cities, it was good. It is a while since I read it though, so I don’t remember that much right now.

Nice! I just started re-reading LotR a few days ago. I really like all of the characters for different reasons, but Gandalf, Sam, and Aragorn are probably my favorites. What about you?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@elena-n

I have read A Tale of Two Cities, it was good. It is a while since I read it though, so I don’t remember that much right now. Nice! I just started re-reading LotR a few days ago. I really like all of the characters for different reasons, but Gandalf, Sam, and Aragorn are probably my favorites. What about you?

I LOVE SYDNEY CARTON!!! Okay, rant over. 🙂

Ooh, where are you at? I just finished the Council of Elrond.

I think mine are Legolas, Aragorn, and Faramir. Oh, and Sam and Beregond and Pippin and Boromir and Gandalf and Merry… 😀 I also am very intrigued by Denethor, but I wouldn’t say I exactly like him. Do you have an opinion on him?

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Valkyrie Falk
    @valkyrie-falk

@elena-n

My absolute favorite character is Artham! Or Podo! Or Maralay! Or Kalmar! Or The Florid Sword! Oh, there are too many good characters. Have you read Pembrick’s Creaturepedia?

Heywire is the best kind of wire.

Elena N
    @elena-n

@emily-waldorf I LOVE SYDNEY CARTON!!! Okay, rant over. Ooh, where are you at? I just finished the Council of Elrond. I think mine are Legolas, Aragorn, and Faramir. Oh, and Sam and Beregond and Pippin and Boromir and Gandalf and Merry… I also am very intrigued by Denethor, but I wouldn’t say I exactly like him. Do you have an opinion on him?

I just started, so Gandalf just got suspicious about the ring and left Frodo for a while.

Those are all very good characters. I like Faramir as well, at least in the books. I don’t really like how they did him in the movies.  I don’t think I’d say I like Denethor, but his motivations and actions are definitely interesting, especially his grief and response.

Elena N
    @elena-n

@valkyrie-falk My absolute favorite character is Artham! Or Podo! Or Maralay! Or Kalmar! Or The Florid Sword! Oh, there are too many good characters. Have you read Pembrick’s Creaturepedia?

Those are all really good characters. I haven’t read Pembrick’s Creaturepedia yet. I think my family ordered it, but it hasn’t shipped.

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

Hi Elena! (@elena-n)

My name is Brian! (@obrian-of-the-surface-world)

Very pleased that you have joined us!

So I am intrigued by this…

I’m also directing/writing an audio drama for a second year, and co-host a writing podcast.

How is your audio drama coming?  What software are you experimenting with?
    Do you use “Audacity” by any chance?

You should check out our “Audio Cinema” Topic here:
    https://storyembers.org/groups/fantasy-writers/forum/topic/audio-cinema/

We would absolutely love to hear one of your entries.  We need more sci-fi writers too!

Your Colours story sounds intriguing!  Would love to hear more about it.

You said you’ve finished two novels…
    Please tell us more.  Have you published them or plan to?

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@elena-n

Howdy Elena! I’m Noah, glad to have you!

I’ve finished two novels so far and started several others. Most of my ideas are fantasy, but I’ve had a few sci-fi ones. I’m also directing/writing an audio drama for a second year, and co-host a writing podcast.

Nice! What are the plots and lengths of your two novels?

Are you one of the voice actors as well for the audio drama? Or do you recruit people?

What are three classics I should read?

The Green Ember

For being a story about animals (usually not my fav), it’s actually pretty great–especially books one and two. The fight scenes at the end of both of the first two books are some of the best I have ever read. And they’re fought by rabbits–if human-like rabbits, but still. xD

It’s about a girl, Helene, who is banished from her town in a world where art can come to life and colours can change emotions. But the people banished art and colour to keep themselves safe from it being abused. As a result of that and a few other things, their world is slowly dying and Helene has to try to save it.

That’s a very interesting plot, I like it. Did something inspire it or was it just one of those ideas that hit you?

What’s your writing process? Do you outline much?

I’ve written one practice novel–during which I learned a ton–and my first real novel. I’m currently revising it (a process I despise xD), and then I plan on starting on book 2 of the series. The series is called The Purging,  and follows a group of people attempting unravel and stop a conspiracy of sorts in medieval Europe. (yes, yes, I need to work on my story descriptions)

Elena N
    @elena-n

My name is Brian! (@obrian-of-the-surface-world) Very pleased that you have joined us! So I am intrigued by this…

How is your audio drama coming? What software are you experimenting with? Do you use “Audacity” by any chance? You should check out our “Audio Cinema”  We would absolutely love to hear one of your entries. We need more sci-fi writers too! Your Colours story sounds intriguing! Would love to hear more about it. You said you’ve finished two novels… Please tell us more. Have you published them or plan to?

I directed one last year, but that’s still being edited. The current one is almost done in first draft, then my team of writers and I will go and edit it. I hope to record it next year. We have used Audacity so far, since it’s a good free option. I also found some programs to create music on my computer with some cool effects, I’m kind of stuck on sound effects though. Do you have suggestions? The Audio Cinema looks interesting, I don’t know if I’ll do it since I’m really bad at reading my stuff dramatically/out loud. But I’ll think about it. 🙂

I’m glad you think so. There’s so much I could talk about Colours, so I don’t really know what to say. I really like the art based magic system that’s part of the world and the fantasy language that’s in development.

Well one of them is hopelessly lost in a muddle of unmarked drafts, and it’s really bad writing. It’s the first novel I actually started, and after realizing that I enjoyed writing but needed a lot of help I took a writing course. With that course I wrote my other novel, which is a bit better, but in my mind it would still need a lot of drafts before I’d ever even consider publishing it, and I don’t care enough about it to do that. So yeah, they’re not published and I don’t really think I will publish them. Some of my more recent WIPs though, I’d like to consider publishing someday.

Elena N
    @elena-n

@elena-n Howdy Elena! I’m Noah, glad to have you!

Nice! What are the plots and lengths of your two novels? Are you one of the voice actors as well for the audio drama? Or do you recruit people? What are three classics I should read?

For being a story about animals (usually not my fav), it’s actually pretty great–especially books one and two. The fight scenes at the end of both of the first two books are some of the best I have ever read. And they’re fought by rabbits–if human-like rabbits, but still. xD

That’s a very interesting plot, I like it. Did something inspire it or was it just one of those ideas that hit you? What’s your writing process? Do you outline much? I’ve written one practice novel–during which I learned a ton–and my first real novel. I’m currently revising it (a process I despise xD), and then I plan on starting on book 2 of the series. The series is called The Purging, and follows a group of people attempting unravel and stop a conspiracy of sorts in medieval Europe. (yes, yes, I need to work on my story descriptions)

I think they’re both about 20-30 k words? Not super long, but they were a start. The first one I wrote was called Daybreak, was a sci-fi fantasy…as in they originally had spaceships but still used swords and things like that. It was about an orphaned boy who was adopted by a evil dictator to be his heir, but is also chosen by this rebel group to use a power stone to defeat the dictator, which in the end he does, though the evil guy does turn into some fiery monster and flies away (for the sequel). The second one was called A Silver Pen, and it was about a girl and her brother who get sucked into a book and they have to defeat the villain to end the story and get back to their world. And of course there were a few plot twists and things like that.
    I’m really bad at acting, so besides background characters I don’t act in my audio dramas. 😛 I recruit people who actually are good at acting, which is a lot of fun.
    As for three classics, there are a lot of good ones… I would say Oliver Twist is really good, if you like mysteries kind of like Sherlock Holmes then there’s a series call The Father Brown Mysteries which is really interesting, The Princess and the Goblin is also an interesting fantasy story.

I don’t normally like animal stories either, so The Green Ember was very good considering that. Yes, some of the early fight scenes are really well done. I really like Cloud Mountain.

I think it was just one of those ideas that just hit me. There might have been something that inspired it, but I’ve forgotten. I usually come up some basic ideas randomly, pick one that I like, develop who the characters are and what the plot will probably be about and start writing. I don’t really make outlines, I used to but they were basically useless because I’d forget about them and by the time I found them the characters had already directed the plot in an entirely different direction. XD
    Your story sounds interesting. What kind of conspiracy is it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest