fb

Hello

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@mamaauthoress

Hello there! I’m Lily. Welcome to the S.E forum! From what I gathered, you’re a fellow alto, Greatest Showman song lover, and Ascendance fan??!! (seriously, my sister and I love those books! The fifth book was so amazing!) Who’s your favorite Ascendance character?

I also have two younger siblings with big age gaps in between us; and I love writing fantasy and dystopian (though I’m slowly branching out into other genres that interest me *haha, can’t make up my mind!*)

I like the premise of your WIP; who is your most favorite character to write? Ooo, have you ever read The Girl Who Drank the Moon or The Giver series?

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@mamaauthoress

Interesting mix! I’d like to read that someday. (:

I would be more than happy to share what I have so far.

Cool! So do I. (: Resources? … Hm, that would be hard. I don’t think I’ve ever used anything to learn poetry before … I guess I just watched and learned by reading poems from Emily Dickenson, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Jesse Stuart.

Thanks! I will check those authors out!

That’s great that you’re trying again! What do you enjoy drawing? I like to draw my characters mostly, or other people’s characters. People are my forte. (:

I have always enjoyed drawing soldiers and warriors from ancient and medieval times and also battles and castles. Currently, I am focused on character and creatures. Soon I will get into also designing items such as weapons and armor for some later plans.

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important th

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@imwritehere1920

Hello there! I’m Lily. Welcome to the S.E forum! From what I gathered, you’re a fellow alto, Greatest Showman song lover, and Ascendance fan??!! (seriously, my sister and I love those books! The fifth book was so amazing!) Who’s your favorite Ascendance character?

Hello Lily! It is nice to meet you. Thank you for the welcome!
    Ah, we have much in common!
    My favourite character from Ascendance would be either Jaron or Mott. Their king-to-commander/caretaker together is just so funny. XD
    What about yours?
    (Eek, I have not read the 5th book due to my birthday coming up and it being on the list)

I also have two younger siblings with big age gaps in between us; and I love writing fantasy and dystopian (though I’m slowly branching out into other genres that interest me *haha, can’t make up my mind!*)

Cool! How far apart are they?
    Also cool! My current WIP is fantasy/dystopian, and that’s fun to play around in.

I like the premise of your WIP; who is your most favorite character to write? Ooo, have you ever read The Girl Who Drank the Moon or The Giver series?

Thank you! My favourite would probably be my main character Rúan. He’s just so snarky, brazen, and practically the stark opposite of me in so many ways. 😆 His personality is definite to make old ladies swat him across the ears (which has happened, actually).
    I have not heard of those books … what are they about?

@storysmith

I would be more than happy to share what I have so far.

And I’d be more than happy to read it. (:

Thanks! I will check those authors out!

They’re wonderful poets!

I have always enjoyed drawing soldiers and warriors from ancient and medieval times and also battles and castles. Currently, I am focused on character and creatures. Soon I will get into also designing items such as weapons and armor for some later plans.

Interesting! I’m getting into that kind of style as well — medieval times. It’s most interesting, especially the Celts.
    Nice! I need to get more into designing armour … I am not the best at it. 😅

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@mamaauthoress

Ooo, you’re in the Jaron fanclub with my sister! XD I do like Jaron, but also Imogen and Tobias. Mott is pretty cool too!  Also, Happy (early) Birthday! I hope you enjoy the fifth book.

Let’s see. My younger sister is about four and a half years younger than me; and the youngest sister is roughly ten years younger than me.

Ah Ruan! Sounds like Jaron’s long lost twin XD Gotta love the snark!

So The Girl Who Drank the Moon is similar in genre to your story; it’s fantasy with dystopian elements in it (think… Narnia with a dystopian leadership? Something like that.) And the Giver is dystopian as well, though the other books have a taste of fantasy in them as well. The first book was really good.

Cool, you enjoy drawing and art? (unfortunately, I’m a terrible artist XD)

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Erynne
    @erynne

@noah-cochran

Eh, I’m not even sure if I have the poem anymore. Too much work to find it.

You wound me Noah.

From Now On is my favorite.

Nice! I love them all but The Other Side is my favorite. However, Never Enough is incredibly fun to sing

@mamaauthoress

It’s fine! Don’t feel bad if you reply late, or forget to reply at all. I, too, am forgetful, and I have the memory of a goldfish, so I understand! (:

You’re really sweet 🤗

I mean that you all are being really friendly, and I appreciate that so much. (:

Oh we can be mean, believe me. It’s just much more fun being nice cuz then it’s easier to tease people and have pointless rambles, a lot like this one, without making them hate you

I favour the second statement: YOU ARE NOT DIRT. You’re an amazing daughter of God!

*achem* true, I am, but technically I am made of dirt.

I … haven’t read much in the dystopian genre, so I can’t really say. I hated The Hunger Games because I’m squeamish and sensitive. Divergent wasn’t so bad — I just disliked all the romance.

I’ll have to avoid making THG references around you then XD that’s one of my favorite series. Divergent is on my list to read next, it sounds really interesting! I also like The Maze Runner. Have you read it?

If you want to make a poem about crayon aroma, go right ahead. Nobody worth anything will judge poetry because it is seemingly “stupid.”

You are very inspiring, Laura 🙂

However you’re also a much better poet out of the two of us. Here’s my poem about the smell of crayons that I’m making up on the spot:

The Smell Of Crayons –

An authentic poem by Erynne Erynne 

Oh crayon, how beautiful your colors are

Toddlers and bored teens use you for art,

Except the white and that yellow green color that never works

Oh crayon, my friend, the best part of you is the smell, it’s one of your odd quirks

The smell of a crayon is a smell you can smell with your nose 

Oh crayon, you smell like wax and paper because that’s what you are from your head to your toes

Inside and out, my friend crayon, wax and paper is all 

Yet we still enjoy you, to color a basketball

JUMP RIGHT IN
    I did! Now I know there are other people with similar taste!

Yes, of course. I don’t hate rap to the extremes, but it’s usually not very clean and often times very annoying. Although, someone mentioned Will Smith and I don’t remember who, but I want to be friends with you whoever you are

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Erynne.

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

I just completely forgot to reply, shame on me!

“God only knowwwws what you’ve been through!”

I love that one! Amen is one of my other favorites, but I love everything from Burn the Ships, and Relate, Kingdom Come, and God is With Us are pretty amazing too!

Nice! I cried when I first heard it.

Most of his songs just sound so soft and warm 🙂 (I don’t know how else to describe it but you get me XD)

Wow, I admire your sheet-music-reading skills.

Thanks!

Oof, yeah, don’t read Cato’s death. It still gives me nightmares.
    I really don’t like gore, and The Hunger Games just shook me after I finished it. I hated it so much.

It’s definitely one of the goriest books I’ve ever read (and the latter books don’t get better). I’d say the other one is Where the Red Fern Grows, which is weird since it was supposed to be a fun little dog story but it was really graphically violent. I didn’t like that at all.

I didn’t even read the second book because of the suggestive themes in the first. I liked the plot — it was cool — but I really didn’t like all the war and fighting and the … injuries the main character got.

Absolutely, it made me really uncomfortable, I had no idea why she decided to add that. Like… how does this serve the plot??

Also, you didn’t miss anything. I couldn’t tell you what happened in the second book. It just didn’t register XD

Ugh. Kissing.
    Only good authors can really nail kissing scenes and make it so that I don’t want to groan.

Same! Often I find it more disgusting than cute. If the author just keeps it short and sweet I can live with it but some of them just stretch it out for pages and *gagging*

Yeah, I can see that.
    Romance is a big part of my story, though, so I’m trying to hone my skills in feelings.

Same! I have a slow-burn friends-to-lovers that stretches over three books and I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying it? I don’t like reading romance generally but somehow when it’s my own characters it just makes me really happy.

Admittedly, the stage they’re now in isn’t kissing, it’s more just… poorly hidden feelings on both sides XD They’re both oblivious and useless at this, it’s adorable to read.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@imwritehere1920

Ooo, you’re in the Jaron fanclub with my sister! XD I do like Jaron, but also Imogen and Tobias. Mott is pretty cool too!  Also, Happy (early) Birthday! I hope you enjoy the fifth book.

I am!
    Well actually … all the characters are my favourite.
    And yes, even Bevin Conner. 😁

Let’s see. My younger sister is about four and a half years younger than me; and the youngest sister is roughly ten years younger than me.

Wow, that’s close to my siblings’ age distances!

Ah Ruan! Sounds like Jaron’s long lost twin XD Gotta love the snark!

I, uhm, well … *twists tips of fingers against each other* I used Jaron’s personality as a foundation for building Rúan’s character.

So The Girl Who Drank the Moon is similar in genre to your story; it’s fantasy with dystopian elements in it (think… Narnia with a dystopian leadership? Something like that.) And the Giver is dystopian as well, though the other books have a taste of fantasy in them as well. The first book was really good.

Ooooo cool! I’ll check them out. (:

Cool, you enjoy drawing and art? (unfortunately, I’m a terrible artist XD)

I do enjoy art and drawing!
    Ah, we all have different talents. I, for one, cannot dance for the life of me. XD

@Erynne

You’re really sweet 🤗

Thank you! So are you. 🤗

Oh we can be mean, believe me. It’s just much more fun being nice cuz then it’s easier to tease people and have pointless rambles, a lot like this one, without making them hate you

Ah … I see. 😆

*achem* true, I am, but technically I am made of dirt.

True. But you don’t have to be treated like that, by yourself or anyone else. 😊

I’ll have to avoid making THG references around you then XD that’s one of my favorite series. Divergent is on my list to read next, it sounds really interesting! I also like The Maze Runner. Have you read it?

We all have different tastes. ☺️
    Thank you, though.

Divergent is … interesting, indeed. Quite a bit of suggestive stuff, and gore, though.

You are very inspiring, Laura 🙂

Ahw, thank you! I’m glad I am. *hugs*

However you’re also a much better poet out of the two of us.

Mmm, I don’t know …

Here’s my poem about the smell of crayons that I’m making up on the spot:

The Smell Of Crayons –

An authentic poem by Erynne Erynne

Oh crayon, how beautiful your colors are

Toddlers and bored teens use you for art,

Except the white and that yellow green color that never works

Oh crayon, my friend, the best part of you is the smell, it’s one of your odd quirks

The smell of a crayon is a smell you can smell with your nose 

Oh crayon, you smell like wax and paper because that’s what you are from your head to your toes

Inside and out, my friend crayon, wax and paper is all 

Yet we still enjoy you, to color a basketball

I … I …

That’s beautiful.

*wipes away tear*

I did! Now I know there are other people with similar taste!
    Yes, of course. I don’t hate rap to the extremes, but it’s usually not very clean and often times very annoying.

Ugh, yes. *mumbles something about what culture has turned into*

Although, someone mentioned Will Smith and I don’t remember who, but I want to be friends with you whoever you are

I believe that was me. (:

@rose-colored-fancy

I just completely forgot to reply, shame on me!

You did … but did you see how long I forgot about this post? If anyone is taking shame, it’s me. 😆😅

I love that one! Amen is one of my other favorites, but I love everything from Burn the Ships, and Relate, Kingdom Come, and God is With Us are pretty amazing too!

Mmm those sound cool.

Most of his songs just sound so soft and warm 🙂 (I don’t know how else to describe it but you get me XD)

Ahhhahh yess I totally get it … *sways in time to “If My Heart was a House”*

It’s definitely one of the goriest books I’ve ever read (and the latter books don’t get better).

I know … after I read the second book, I started having nightmares and pains/cramps in the places where the characters got hurt.

My mum wisely advised me against reading the third …

I’d say the other one is Where the Red Fern Grows, which is weird since it was supposed to be a fun little dog story but it was really graphically violent. I didn’t like that at all.

What?! I’ve heard so many great things about that book! Good to know …

Absolutely, it made me really uncomfortable, I had no idea why she decided to add that. Like… how does this serve the plot??

FINALLY

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT

I don’t understand why she had to throw that in there!!

Also, you didn’t miss anything. I couldn’t tell you what happened in the second book. It just didn’t register XD

Good to know. I was actually told by a friend how the last book ends, and I was so glad I didn’t read it.

Same! Often I find it more disgusting than cute. If the author just keeps it short and sweet I can live with it but some of them just stretch it out for pages and *gagging*

Oof … yes …

Same! I have a slow-burn friends-to-lovers that stretches over three books and I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying it? I don’t like reading romance generally but somehow when it’s my own characters it just makes me really happy.

Ahww that’s awesome!! I love that kind of romance. It’s much more familiar.
    My romance arc is two people in an arranged marriage who dislike that idea along with each other, then it slowly turns to relying on each other more in battle and in different situations, and then they realize just how much they like each other and need each other.

I’m sure it’s been done before, and it looks kind of cheesy now that I’ve written it out … 😅

Yours is much better though.

Admittedly, the stage they’re now in isn’t kissing, it’s more just… poorly hidden feelings on both sides XD They’re both oblivious and useless at this, it’s adorable to read.

Ahwwww even better!! 😍

Erynne
    @erynne

@mamaauthoress

True. But you don’t have to be treated like that, by yourself or anyone else.

I get told that a lot XD

Divergent is … interesting, indeed. Quite a bit of suggestive stuff, and gore, though.

How does the romance fit into the plot? Does it actually serve the plot or is it just there?

(I always struggle with that because I love romance and want it in my book whether it benefits the book or not lol)

Ahw, thank you! I’m glad I am. *hugs*

*hugs you back because you’re just so loveable*

I … I …

That’s beautiful.

*wipes away tear*

*does poor Elvis Presley impression* thank you, thank you very much

I’ve read it to my mom so many times… She just starts banging her head against the wall as soon as I say “by Erynne Erynne”

Ugh, yes. *mumbles something about what culture has turned into*

*mumbles with you* uh, yeah

I believe that was me. (:

Well then you have good taste 😉

Do you have a favorite by him?

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@mamaauthoress

Haha! I can’t really dance either… (well, if I actually took the time to learn, I guess I could do something that’s passable).

I once ‘loosely’ based a character off of Taran from The Chronicles of Prydain, so I feel ya with Ruan and Jaron XD.

Yes, I hope you enjoy the Girl Who Drank the Moon and The Giver. I’d also love to see your artwork sometime (I think there’s a group on the forum that does that… *scratches head*).

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@Erynne

I get told that a lot XD

😟

How does the romance fit into the plot? Does it actually serve the plot or is it just there?

(I always struggle with that because I love romance and want it in my book whether it benefits the book or not lol)

It does not help the plot at all — it is just there, which really annoyed me when I read it. 😅

Hahaha that was me about three years ago — ROMANCE HERE, ROMANCE THERE, HERE A ROMANCE THERE A ROMANCE EVERYWHERE A ROMANCE 😆

*hugs you back because you’re just so loveable*

may or may not have started crying

*does poor Elvis Presley impression* thank you, thank you very much

I’ve read it to my mom so many times… She just starts banging her head against the wall as soon as I say “by Erynne Erynne”

Oh dear … 😆 I can relate.

Well then you have good taste 😉

Do you have a favorite by him?

I … erm, don’t know any of his songs, I just heard one on the radio and said “Huh, this actually some decent rap.”

@imwritehere1920

Haha! I can’t really dance either… (well, if I actually took the time to learn, I guess I could do something that’s passable).

Same. 😆 I’m going have to learn, though, for a musical theatre production. 😬😅

I once ‘loosely’ based a character off of Taran from The Chronicles of Prydain, so I feel ya with Ruan and Jaron XD.

Haha 😆

Yes, I hope you enjoy the Girl Who Drank the Moon and The Giver. I’d also love to see your artwork sometime (I think there’s a group on the forum that does that… *scratches head*).

Thank you!

Hm, cool! I will ask around. 🙂

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@mamaauthoress

Hi Laura! I know I’ve met you in our RP, but officially hi! I write poetry too! Do you have favorite themes to write about, or styles to write in? I used to do almost exclusively descriptive poems about nature…now I’m not sure if I can place a theme I write about… 🙂 I have been having MAJOR writer’s block as regards poetry, recently. 🙁

Hier steche ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir. Amen. ~Martin Luther

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

I, uhm, well … *twists tips of fingers against each other* I used Jaron’s personality as a foundation for building Rúan’s character.

LOL SAME!!! Jaron was the base character for Liorah! XD I mostly used some of his narrative style, though Liorah develops differently.

They’re nowhere near exact copies, but my brother who also read the Ascendence series and is the first person who always reads my manuscripts said “I can see you used Jaron for Liorah.” Sooo… it’s not as well hidden as I thought XD

You did … but did you see how long I forgot about this post? If anyone is taking shame, it’s me.

I always go “Oh, I totally need to reply to that!” *Doesn’t and instantly forgets* So, sorry about that XD

I know … after I read the second book, I started having nightmares and pains/cramps in the places where the characters got hurt.

My mum wisely advised me against reading the third …

Absolutely. It gets worse if anything. The ending broke my heart, but it was very well handled.

SAME!! I thought I was the only person who felt it when fictional characters got hurt! It’s like a weird form of hyper-empathy I guess?? When I’m really invested I get sensations where the characters get hurt! It’s so weird!

What?! I’ve heard so many great things about that book! Good to know …

I remember very little except that it was descriptively gory multiple times. Like, I have a fairly high tolerance for gore but a few scenes are just seared into my memory in all their ‘glory’. I do not recommend it.

FINALLY

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT

I don’t understand why she had to throw that in there!!

Exactly!!! I was listening to it on audiobook so I could just roll my eyes, skip 30 seconds forward… oh, they’re still kissing. Another 30 seconds. Nope. End of the chapter, like five minutes later. Okay, they’re done now. I’ve never skipped such big sections of a book XD

Good to know. I was actually told by a friend how the last book ends, and I was so glad I didn’t read it.

I stopped reading in the middle of book 3, but I was also spoiled for the ending D:

Ahww that’s awesome!! I love that kind of romance. It’s much more familiar.

I love it too 🥰 Just they way they already know each other completely and they’re just so familiar together and it feels so natural? It makes me so happy.

never expected my romance-despising self to be writing this XD I guess that proves it can be well done, it’s just often assumed to be there.

Like, the MC and other lead of the opposite gender make eye contact for three seconds and they kiss a chapter later even though they’ve only known each other a week? Howww??

Like half the time during the first kiss I hurl something across the room and shout at the MC “You’ve known them a week and during that time you haven’t thought about anything other than that they’re attractive? What’s WRONG with you??”

Ooh, I can rant about this a lot XD

My romance arc is two people in an arranged marriage who dislike that idea along with each other, then it slowly turns to relying on each other more in battle and in different situations, and then they realize just how much they like each other and need each other.

I’m sure it’s been done before, and it looks kind of cheesy now that I’ve written it out …

I willingly read the exact same trope a hundred times and that’s an excellent one. Everything about it is just *chef’s kiss* The situation where they’re forced together and then slowly fall in love during a stressful period? Perfect. A couple fighting together and protecting each other? The best trope in existence.

I absolutely love that idea!

Ahwwww even better!!

It’s the best. I’ve only written a few scenes about it but it’s amazing. XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@emily-waldorf

Hi Laura! I know I’ve met you in our RP, but officially hi!

Hello, Emily!

I write poetry too! Do you have favorite themes to write about, or styles to write in?

That’s great! Hmm … normally I’ll turn an experience/emotion wave into a rhyme scheme, but that’s about it.

I used to do almost exclusively descriptive poems about nature…now I’m not sure if I can place a theme I write about… 🙂

Cool! I’d like to read some of it. (:

I have been having MAJOR writer’s block as regards poetry, recently. 🙁

Ahw no … that’s the worst. Prayers coming your way. <3

@Rose-colored-Fancy

LOL SAME!!! Jaron was the base character for Liorah! XD I mostly used some of his narrative style, though Liorah develops differently.

Hehe … XD
    Ah, that’s good that she develops differently. (:

They’re nowhere near exact copies, but my brother who also read the Ascendence series and is the first person who always reads my manuscripts said “I can see you used Jaron for Liorah.” Sooo… it’s not as well hidden as I thought XD

Aghjgjhgjhgj that’s what my brother did when I first wrote out Rúan about a year ago. *hides in hands*

I always go “Oh, I totally need to reply to that!” *Doesn’t and instantly forgets* So, sorry about that XD

^^^

Absolutely. It gets worse if anything. The ending broke my heart, but it was very well handled.

Yeah …

SAME!! I thought I was the only person who felt it when fictional characters got hurt! It’s like a weird form of hyper-empathy I guess?? When I’m really invested I get sensations where the characters get hurt! It’s so weird!

NO FREAKIN WAY

YOU GET THAT TOO

LAST NIGHT IT WAS SO HORRIBLE I THOUGHT I WOULD DIE

I’M SO SO SO SO GLAD IT’S NOT JUST ME

I remember very little except that it was descriptively gory multiple times. Like, I have a fairly high tolerance for gore but a few scenes are just seared into my memory in all their ‘glory’. I do not recommend it.

Thank you for the warning …

Exactly!!! I was listening to it on audiobook so I could just roll my eyes, skip 30 seconds forward… oh, they’re still kissing. Another 30 seconds. Nope. End of the chapter, like five minutes later. Okay, they’re done now. I’ve never skipped such big sections of a book XD

Ugh … maybe I should have done that … XD

I stopped reading in the middle of book 3, but I was also spoiled for the ending D:

>_<

I love it too 🥰 Just they way they already know each other completely and they’re just so familiar together and it feels so natural? It makes me so happy.

Mhm … <3

I never expected my romance-despising self to be writing this XD I guess that proves it can be well done, it’s just often assumed to be there.

Yes!

Like, the MC and other lead of the opposite gender make eye contact for three seconds and they kiss a chapter later even though they’ve only known each other a week? Howww??

Like half the time during the first kiss I hurl something across the room and shout at the MC “You’ve known them a week and during that time you haven’t thought about anything other than that they’re attractive? What’s WRONG with you??”

Ooh, I can rant about this a lot XD

I agree with literally everything you said right there.

I willingly read the exact same trope a hundred times and that’s an excellent one. Everything about it is just *chef’s kiss* The situation where they’re forced together and then slowly fall in love during a stressful period? Perfect. A couple fighting together and protecting each other? The best trope in existence.

I absolutely love that idea!

Thank you! I’m glad you don’t think it’s stupid. (:
    That gave me some courage.

It’s the best. I’ve only written a few scenes about it but it’s amazing. XD

*wants so badly to read it*

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@mamaauthoress

That’s great! Hmm … normally I’ll turn an experience/emotion wave into a rhyme scheme, but that’s about it.

That sounds cool. 🙂

Cool! I’d like to read some of it. (:

Aw, thanks! here is a link to one, if you want to. I’d like to read some of yours, too. I’m really intrigued by the what you said you write. Turning an emotion into a poem sound so cool!!

Ahw no … that’s the worst. Prayers coming your way. <3

Hey thanks! <3

Is the story you’re working on now the one with Ruan in it?

Hier steche ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir. Amen. ~Martin Luther

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest