fb

Hello

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

Is this the right place to give an introduction?

*hopes it is*

Anyway … hello!

I am Laura.

I enjoy writing fantasy fiction, and I love mixing sub-genres of fantasy, like urban fantasy/comical fantasy, or dystopian fantasy/epic fantasy.

I also write a lot of poetry. A lot of poetry.

I’m also INFP on the Myers-Briggs type theory.

I … uhm … don’t really know what else to say.

*waves awkwardly*

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@mamaauthoress

Howdy Laura! Glad to have you! I’m Noah, and I’m also rather new to SE. 🙂 I joined in…what was it, last August I think? So it’s been a few months, but it’s been of a great help to me, not to mention the many fun and interesting discussions I’ve had with other Christian writers. *thinks of one that is happening right now and grins*

What kind of fantasy and plot is your current WIP? How long have you been writing? I’ve been writing for a little over four months, and I’m currently working on a medieval action adventure series (I don’t even know the name of the series yet, so yeah, it’s as green as my writing skills).

Nice, that perked my interest. Care to send me a sample? 🙂

I’ve written a grand total of three poems. One was as rip off of green eggs and ham that I wrote when I was like 10, and the other two were little four liners that I wrote a couple years back. So my knowledge of poetry is nill, but has I’ve started fiction writing, poetic language has really grown on me.

Interesting. Don’t let those things define you though. 🙂

I … uhm … don’t really know what else to say

I can help with that. 🙂 Do you have any other hobbies than writing? What is one of your favorite books/authors/series? Are you into music at all? How about history?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@noah-cochran

Hello Noah!

Ah, I’m glad to have met someone else who is fairly new. (:

What kind of fantasy and plot is your current WIP? How long have you been writing?

My current WIP is called Upon the Throne of Embers, and it is about this young man who lives in a dystopian fantasy world split into clans, when one day he finds out he is the heir to a lost clan that was wiped out by its enemies and ignored by the others.
    As for how long I’ve been writing, I’ve been writing since I was ten, and have gone through many WIPs in that time.

Nice, that perked my interest. Care to send me a sample? 🙂

Ah, a fellow poet/poetry lover? Exciting. 😊
    I’d love to send a sample! Do I post it here, or is there somewhere specifically for poetry?

Don’t let those things define you though. 🙂

Of course — I’m not defined in only four letters. 🙂

Do you have any other hobbies than writing? What is one of your favorite books/authors/series? Are you into music at all? How about history?

I often draw — actually, scratch that, I draw a lot. 😆 When I’m not writing, singing, listening to music, or doing the dishes, I’m drawing.
    My favourite authors are Jennifer A. Nielsen, Christopher Paolini, Erin Forbes, and J. R. R. Tolkien.
    Favourite books/series are The Ascendance Series, by Jennifer A. Nielsen; The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini, and I’m currently enjoying The Unwanteds series, by Lisa McMann.

Do I love music? You might as well have asked me if, as a Christian, I love God. Music is my earthly lifeblood — I cannot be sane without music in my life.

History … not so much. I like the Celts and the Inuits, but other history just kind of … lies beyond my reach of interest, let’s put it that way.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

We just met in the Character Castle 2.0, I think you remember me XD

I enjoy writing fantasy fiction, and I love mixing sub-genres of fantasy, like urban fantasy/comical fantasy, or dystopian fantasy/epic fantasy.

Awesome, I mostly write fantasy. I’m in the middle of a trilogy that’s also my first writing project, so I’m a newbie! I’ve drafted the first two books and completely rewrote book 1 for NaNo. I’m currently taking a brief break and doing some beta-reading, I hope to start drafting book 3 in January.

Awesome! I’ve written two poems, both written in my phone notes app and fueled by more emotion than skill. They’re terrible, but they made me feel better 🙂

INFJ here!

I often draw — actually, scratch that, I draw a lot.   When I’m not writing, singing, listening to music, or doing the dishes, I’m drawing.

Awesome! Me too! What media do you use? I mostly draw digital, but I’ve done a little bit of everything. Digital is my favorite though 🙂

My favourite authors are Jennifer A. Nielsen, Christopher Paolini, Erin Forbes, and J. R. R. Tolkien.
    Favourite books/series are The Ascendance Series, by Jennifer A. Nielsen; The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini, and I’m currently enjoying The Unwanteds series, by Lisa McMann.

Yayy, Ascendance!! I love those books! Which book is your favorite? False Prince is my favorite, definitely. That twist was just *chef’s kiss* Book 5 was excellent too though!

Do I love music? You might as well have asked me if, as a Christian, I love God. Music is my earthly lifeblood — I cannot be sane without music in my life.

Same! Do you play any instruments?

I have many hobbies, mainly among them drawing, HEMA, horse-riding and sewing.

Anything else…. I wear cloaks and pocketwatches casually and really want a sword. Yep, that’s the important stuff!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@rose-colored-fancy

Hello!
    Hmmm … do I remember you? I don’t know … 😆
    (just kidding, of course I remember you!)

I’m in the middle of a trilogy that’s also my first writing project, so I’m a newbie! I’ve drafted the first two books and completely rewrote book 1 for NaNo.

Impressive! I am still on the first book in my first-ever seriously pursued series — this makes me more motivated!

Awesome! Me too! What media do you use? I mostly draw digital, but I’ve done a little bit of everything. Digital is my favorite though 🙂

I draw using sketchbooks and pencils, though I’m starting to test the waters of watercolour, and I would like to try digital.
    What digital platform do you use?

Yayy, Ascendance!! I love those books! Which book is your favorite? False Prince is my favorite, definitely. That twist was just *chef’s kiss* Book 5 was excellent too though!

Ahhhh another fan!! I’m so happy!
    My favourite … ooo, I don’t know — they were all so good! I have yet to read the 5th book, because my parents are going to get it for my birthday in a few weeks, so I have to wait … 😞

Do you play any instruments?

I play piano, though not professionally. Thanks to my musical ear, I am able to play 3-part chords, but nothing too fancy. I mainly just mess around. 😛

I have many hobbies, mainly among them drawing, HEMA, horse-riding and sewing.

Most interesting! What is this HEMA?
    My siblings do horseback-riding! In fact, they’re going for their weekly lessons today.

Anything else…. I wear cloaks and pocketwatches casually and really want a sword. Yep, that’s the important stuff!

Now I know what to add to my birthday wishlist! 😁

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

My current WIP is called Upon the Throne of Embers, and it is about this young man who lives in a dystopian fantasy world split into clans, when one day he finds out he is the heir to a lost clan that was wiped out by its enemies and ignored by the others.

Laura, that sounds extremely interesting. Write that, and I’ll read it. 🙂

Ah, a fellow poet/poetry lover? Exciting. 😊
    I’d love to send a sample! Do I post it here, or is there somewhere specifically for poetry?

There is a poetry section, but it is not used much, so just copy and paste it here. 🙂

Of course — I’m not defined in only four letters.

I’m glad to hear it. I only mentioned it at all because I know some people that takes those tests and then trick their mind into being what those tests say they are instead of becoming something better. Excuse my tangent. 😄

I often draw — actually, scratch that, I draw a lot. 😆 When I’m not writing, singing, listening to music, or doing the dishes, I’m drawing.

Doing dishes is one of my favorite hobbies too. 😉

I love to sing. What are some of your favorite songs to sing? Do you sing mostly by yourself or with others?

So, I’m the worst drawer–no, sorry, illustrator  I know (I was called a cabinet for using the word “drawer,” by certain SE user, long story xD ). But, I’ll say this, drawing has far more uses than I used to think, and I am beginning to wish I was good at it. So keep it up. 🙂

The False Prince is a fantastic book, and my sister tells me book five was good too.

Now that, Laura, is an excellent answer. What are your favorite genres of music? Do you play any instruments?

I like the Celts

Question: Do you pronounce the “Cel” like “sell” or “Kel?” Just curious.

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@noah-cocheran

Laura, that sounds extremely interesting. Write that, and I’ll read it. 🙂

Well … that was about the most awesome thing I’ve heard today. Thank you.

There is a poetry section, but it is not used much, so just copy and paste it here. 🙂

Will do! I’ll attach it at the bottom of this post.

I’m glad to hear it. I only mentioned it at all because I know some people that takes those tests and then trick their mind into being what those tests say they are instead of becoming something better. Excuse my tangent. 😄

Ah, yes, so many have fallen to being defined by others.
    I meant what I said earlier in the gentlest way, so I apologize if it came off as self-defensive or rude. 😬

Doing dishes is one of my favorite hobbies too. 😉

Yay, a fellow dishwasher!

I love to sing. What are some of your favorite songs to sing? Do you sing mostly by yourself or with others?

Now you’re the second male I’ve met who likes to sing. *respect increases*
    I love singing pretty much any song in my range, which includes one of my favourites, “I Dreamed a Dream,” from Les Misérables. I also like singing/belting any song from Newsies.

(I was called a cabinet for using the word “drawer,” by certain SE user, long story xD ).

Haha, I was once called a dishwasher because of my favourite kitchen task, so I feel you there. 😆

But, I’ll say this, drawing has far more uses than I used to think, and I am beginning to wish I was good at it. So keep it up. 🙂

It does have a lot of good uses, especially when it comes to figuring out what your characters look like.
    Hey, if you ever would like me to draw something for you (my forte is people, FYI), I’d be happy to!
    I will. 🙂 *salutes*

The False Prince is a fantastic book, and my sister tells me book five was good too.

It is! If you haven’t, you should read the rest of the series — it’s awesome!
    Oooooo I want to read book five … got to wait until the 17th, though. 😖

Now that, Laura, is an excellent answer. What are your favorite genres of music? Do you play any instruments?

Why thank you. 😊
    My favourite genres … hmm … I’ll appreciate any genre so long as the content is clean and the music is good quality. Though I generally dislike the rap genre, certain songs I found are appealing to listen to.
    My favourite genres, though, would probably be Alternative or Electronic, though I am starting to love Broadway and musicals.
    How about you?

Question: Do you pronounce the “Cel” like “sell” or “Kel?” Just curious.

I pronounce it like “Kelt” and “Keltic,” not like the hockey team. (;

Erynne
    @erynne

@mamaauthoress

Hello Laura! Welcome to Story Embers, the place you will meet the most insane people in the planet. (Yes, I do fall under that category) I’m Erynne (pronounced Erin 😉)

Ah, very interesting. I’m honestly not that intelligent (in general but we don’t talk about that) on all of the different genres, but I can say that I know what all of those are, and yes I enjoy reading those. What’s your favorite dystopian fantasy book?

I enjoy historical fiction, fantasy, YA romance, and the classics, of course (whether I understand them or not. It just makes me feel sophisticated XD JK. Sorta.)

Cool! I’m an ENFP.

Of course — I’m not defined in only four letters.

Excellent answer. It’s just one of those fun things to know, right? 😉

Your WIP sounds super interesting!! Mine can be found in the thread “New Plot Announcement” if you want to check it out and give me your opinion. No pressure, it’s totally just if you want to.

Welcome again, and I look forward to seeing you around in the future!

Also, let me just say I’m impressed that you already know your way around pretty well. Most newbies don’t catch on to the tagging and quote thing right away (I sure didn’t)

I get impressed easily in case you haven’t noticed XD

@noah-cochran

Hello sir, it’s me again. I just want to say I need to hear this poem by 10 year old you. I believe I wasn’t hit by that car the other night for a reason, and I just discovered that the reason is this poem. Thank you for saving my life now lemme read this poem XD

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

calidris
    @calidris

@mamaauthoress Hello!  It’s great to have you here!  I’m Calidris, and I love drawing and Tolkien as well.   Do you have any favorite characters from LotR (or any other of his works – lets not forget the Hobbit and the Silmarillion!)  I primarily draw people as well!  Do you like drawing your own characters?  I primarily worked with physical media for a while, but I’m finally branching out into digital.  It’s really fun, but I’m still getting used to it lol.  You should try it out someday!  I use Medibang Pro because it’s free and pretty beginner friendly 🙂

Do you have any favorite bands or musicals?  I don’t really listen to that many proper “songs,” but I really like listening to soundtracks from movies and shows I like.  LotR has one of the best background (?) soundtracks I’ve ever heard, but if I’m looking to listen to something for pure fun Haikyuu and Into the Spiderverse are my go to 🙂

*laughs as one fey*

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@erynne

Hello Erynne! I am glad to have been welcomed in the warmest fashion — I’ve not been welcomed like this on any other community. 🤗
    Ah, though my experience has not yet waxed on 24 hours, I would fall under that category as well. 😁

I’m honestly not that intelligent (in general but we don’t talk about that) on all of the different genres,

Gracious, I read that as “I’m honestly not that intelligent,” and was about to reply with “NO, YOU ARE NOT DUMB — WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT??” 😆

What’s your favorite dystopian fantasy book?

I have not read any dystopian fantasy books yet — all the dystopian stories I’ve read were science fiction.
    However, I got the idea of writing a dystopian fantasy story when I watched Raya and the Last Dragon, which takes place in a magical world after it was destroyed. The inspiration only grew when I was introduced to the video game Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which also. takes place in a post-apocalyptic society that has many elements of fantasy.

Cool! I’m an ENFP.

Ah! So is my father and one of my closest friends!

It’s just one of those fun things to know, right? 😉

Of course. I never wanted to take MBTI’s path of “figuring out who you are” since I already know who I am, but it was quite interesting reading a webpage that looked like people had been spying and studying me. 😆

Your WIP sounds super interesting!! Mine can be found in the thread “New Plot Announcement” if you want to check it out and give me your opinion. No pressure, it’s totally just if you want to.

Thank you so much! I’m glad you think so. 😊
    I will most definitely check that out! I love reading about other people’s projects, since they come up with so much diverse and interesting ideas.

Welcome again, and I look forward to seeing you around in the future!

Also, let me just say I’m impressed that you already know your way around pretty well. Most newbies don’t catch on to the tagging and quote thing right away (I sure didn’t)

Thank you!

Ah, that is probably because I am part of a similar community, but for homeschoolers, that has very similar tagging and quoting features. I am also a part of the YWW community, so I’m a bit familiar with community maneuvering. (:

I get impressed easily in case you haven’t noticed XD

I have — and it is not a bad thing!

______
    @noah-cocheran

I realized I forgot the poem in the last post. 😆
    My apologies. Here it is:

I Bleed Because I Love You

by Laura K. Abeid

I bleed because I love you

I hurt because I care

The pain inside my mourning heart

Is here because you’re there.

But I welcome all this hurt

I embrace the sea of pain

Because the suffering tells me

That colours will follow the rain.

The pain is a constant reminder

That I hold your tender heart

That even now you’re keeping mine

Despite the miles apart.

So I’ll gladly wait for your return

But still stay right in reach

In case you need the help I’ll give

To help you run your race.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@mamaauthoress

Well … that was about the most awesome thing I’ve heard today. Thank you.

I’m a dystopian lover, especially when is sounds fresh and unique like yours. 🙂 My older sister is working on a book down a similar alley.

Will do! I’ll attach it at the bottom of this post.

I see it in your next comment. 🙂

I meant what I said earlier in the gentlest way, so I apologize if it came off as self-defensive or rude.

No, no, you’re fine, I was just explaining my rather abrupt comment. 🙂

It is! If you haven’t, you should read the rest of the series — it’s awesome!

I’ve read all but the fifth, and they’re all pretty good, but the first one is unbeatable.

My favourite genres … hmm … I’ll appreciate any genre so long as the content is clean and the music is good quality. Though I generally dislike the rap genre, certain songs I found are appealing to listen to.
    My favourite genres, though, would probably be Alternative or Electronic, though I am starting to love Broadway and musicals.
    How about you?

Two things I need to say before anything else: First, I really appreciate you mentioning that you want the content to be clean. 🙂 Secondly: I. Hate. Rap. (I think my dislike of it my be slightly above yours xD)

I like some old country, some clean pop songs, a lot of folk songs, but honestly, my favorite category is what I call “movie songs.” Lotr songs, some disney song, and since you mentioned musicals ,The Greatest Showman Songs are fantastic.

Now you’re the second male I’ve met who likes to sing. *respect increases*
    I love singing pretty much any song in my range, which includes one of my favourites, “I Dreamed a Dream,” from Les Misérables. I also like singing/belting any song from Newsies.

Singing is glorious, I have a tendency to go outside into our fields and belt songs. My neighbors probably hate me. xD

My sisters and mom watched Les Miserable, and then proceeded to sing “Do You Hear the People Sing” so many times that I got it stuck in my head and nearly went mad. xD

I didn’t recognize Newsies at first, but then I remembered that time I Seized the Day and became the King of New York.

I pronounce it like “Kelt” and “Keltic,” not like the hockey team. (;

My brain switches between the two ever since some person told me that it can be pronounced both ways. xD I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be Keltic though.

@erynne

Hello sir, it’s me again. I just want to say I need to hear this poem by 10 year old you. I believe I wasn’t hit by that car the other night for a reason, and I just discovered that the reason is this poem. Thank you for saving my life now lemme read this poem XD

That must be it. You’re purpose in life is now to be astounded by my Dr. Seuss poetry.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

So, I’m the worst drawer–no, sorry, illustrator  I know (I was called a cabinet for using the word “drawer,” by certain SE user, long story xD ).

AHAHA!!! Actually, I called myself a cabinet, just as you called yourself a drawer XD

@mamaauthoress

Impressive! I am still on the first book in my first-ever seriously pursued series — this makes me more motivated!

Just love your characters and keep going, it’s worth it! I’m having a lot of fun with it! What’s your favorite part of your WIP?

I draw using sketchbooks and pencils, though I’m starting to test the waters of watercolour, and I would like to try digital.
    What digital platform do you use?

Awesome! I’ve used watercolor some, but I’m not great at it. I use Krita and a drawing tablet! Krita is free and it works great!

I’d love to see some of your art! (I drew my profile picture, if you want to see some of my work 😀 )

Ahhhh another fan!! I’m so happy!
    My favourite … ooo, I don’t know — they were all so good! I have yet to read the 5th book, because my parents are going to get it for my birthday in a few weeks, so I have to wait …

Awesome!! Book 5 is amazing, you’ll love it!!

I play piano, though not professionally. Thanks to my musical ear, I am able to play 3-part chords, but nothing too fancy. I mainly just mess around.

That’s awesome! I play Celtic harp. What kind of music do you like to play?

Most interesting! What is this HEMA?
    My siblings do horseback-riding! In fact, they’re going for their weekly lessons today.

That’s so cool! I’m heading to mine soon! Do your siblings own horses or ride at a stable?

HEMA is SWORDSSS!!! Historical European Martial Arts, so it’s a reconstruction of Medieval fighting techniques. I only started a couple months ago, so I’m really inexperienced, but it’s one of the most fun things I’ve ever done! I do longsword and “ringen” or unarmed combat/medieval wrestling.

Ooh, awesome! Same, I love those genres! (Musicals are the best, my favorites are Singing in the Rain and my dearest Fiddler on the Roof)

Who are your favorite musicians/singers/bands?

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@caldiris

Hello Caldiris! It is so nice to be welcomed here like this. (:

Do you have any favorite characters from LotR (or any other of his works – lets not forget the Hobbit and the Silmarillion!)

I love Arwen, though she isn’t as prominent a figure in the books than in the movies. My second favourite would have to be Théoden, then Bilbo, then Pippin. (:
    What about yours?

I primarily draw people as well!  Do you like drawing your own characters?  I primarily worked with physical media for a while, but I’m finally branching out into digital.  It’s really fun, but I’m still getting used to it lol.  You should try it out someday!  I use Medibang Pro because it’s free and pretty beginner friendly 🙂

I love drawing my own characters! In fact, most of their faceclaims are either Artbreeder or a drawing of mine.
    I shall try Medibang Pro! It sounds very interesting.

Do you have any favorite bands or musicals?  I don’t really listen to that many proper “songs,” but I really like listening to soundtracks from movies and shows I like.  LotR has one of the best background (?) soundtracks I’ve ever heard, but if I’m looking to listen to something for pure fun Haikyuu and Into the Spiderverse are my go to 🙂

For bands, I love Owl City, Coldplay, Simon & Garfunkel, and Plain White T’s.
    My favourite musicals? Newsies, Les Misérables, The Phantom of the Opera, and The Greatest Showman.

What is Haikyuu? I feel like I’ve heard it mentioned before?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@mamaauthoress

That is an amazing poem Laura, I love it. That is the style of poetry that connects with me the most.

@rose-colored-fancy

Fiddler on the Roof

Tradition.

AHAHA!!! Actually, I called myself a cabinet, just as you called yourself a drawer

Perhaps. 😏

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

Oh wow, this is a lot of replies to get to! Give me a few seconds. 😅

@noah-cochran

I’m a dystopian lover, especially when is sounds fresh and unique like yours. 🙂 My older sister is working on a book down a similar alley.

Oooo interesting!

No, no, you’re fine, I was just explaining my rather abrupt comment. 🙂

Ah, it’s okay. (:

I’ve read all but the fifth, and they’re all pretty good, but the first one is unbeatable.

That is definitely and undoubtedly true.

Two things I need to say before anything else: First, I really appreciate you mentioning that you want the content to be clean. 🙂 Secondly: I. Hate. Rap. (I think my dislike of it my be slightly above yours xD)

Clean content is the best content. No need to foul the gift of music with obscenity or cursing.
    I believe your dislike is higher than mine! *claps*

I like some old country, some clean pop songs, a lot of folk songs, but honestly, my favorite category is what I call “movie songs.” Lotr songs, some disney song, and since you mentioned musicals ,The Greatest Showman Songs are fantastic.

I love “movie songs”! I’ll recite every line from any Greatest Showman song if you want me to. 😁

Singing is glorious, I have a tendency to go outside into our fields and belt songs. My neighbors probably hate me. xD

If your neighbours hate you, that’s on them. Singers must belt in the fields.

My sisters and mom watched Les Miserable, and then proceeded to sing “Do You Hear the People Sing” so many times that I got it stuck in my head and nearly went mad. xD

Amazing. Astounding. Positively awesome.

then I remembered that time I Seized the Day and became the King of New York.

You … you hit a heartstring right there … *is speechless with respect*

My brain switches between the two ever since some person told me that it can be pronounced both ways. xD I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be Keltic though.

I agree, the hockey team, I believe, purposefully mispronounced it.

That is an amazing poem Laura, I love it. That is the style of poetry that connects with me the most.

Thank you. I’m glad you do. ❤️

@rose-colored-fancy

I’m just going to say that you sound amazing. I’d love to get to know you more.

What’s your favorite part of your WIP?

Hmmm … probably the part where Rúan states that he wishes the enemy’s mother to grow a donkey tail.
    My sweet cinnamon roll loves his little insults. 🥰

What kind of music do you like to play?

Pretty much anything I’m into at the moment (which is a lot XD)

Do your siblings own horses or ride at a stable?

They ride at a stable. We don’t own any horses.

HEMA is SWORDSSS!!! Historical European Martial Arts, so it’s a reconstruction of Medieval fighting techniques. I only started a couple months ago, so I’m really inexperienced, but it’s one of the most fun things I’ve ever done! I do longsword and “ringen” or unarmed combat/medieval wrestling.

*is intrigued*

Who are your favorite musicians/singers/bands?

For bands, I love Owl City, Coldplay, Simon & Garfunkel, and Plain White T’s.
    My favourite musicals? Newsies, Les Misérables, The Phantom of the Opera, and The Greatest Showman.

^^

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest