fb

Hello!

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ashley Tegart
    @ashley-tegart

Hi, everyone!

I just joined the forum here and am looking forward to chatting with some other writers! 🙂

Some of my favorite books are Till We Have Faces and That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis, Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, Murder on the Orient Express and And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, and Demons and Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I also like reading theology and philosophy.

I mostly write fantasy and science fiction! I’m currently working on the rough draft of an epic fantasy novel. I’ve been writing for years and hope to traditionally publish someday.

-Ashley

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@ashley-tegart

Hi Ashley, I’m Lily.  Welcome to the S.E forum!  I hope you enjoy your time here.

Hmm, I haven’t read those books by Lewis yet.  Are they more theology or fiction?

I enjoy writing fantasy too.  Have you’ve joined the fantasy and sci-fi groups yet?  They are super helpful and supportive in certain genre-related questions (i.e world-building, sci-fi tech, etc.)

I wish you all the best on your writing journey! *cheers you on*

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ashley-tegart

Hi Ashley! I’m Rose, pleased to meet you!

I also write mostly fantasy. Though I have a love for all things sci-fi, I haven’t written it yet.

What’s the premise of your current WIP?

I’ve been writing for just over a year, how long have you been writing?

Hope to see you around!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Ashley Tegart
    @ashley-tegart

@imwritehere1920

Hi, Lily! Thank you for the welcome! 🙂

Both are fiction! Till We Have Faces is a retelling of a Greek myth and is, in my opinion, Lewis’ best novel! That Hideous Strength is the final book of The Space Trilogy.

I joined the fantasy group but didn’t know you could join more than one. I will join the sci-fi one later.

Thank you for the information on the groups! 🙂

Ashley Tegart
    @ashley-tegart

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi, Rose! Nice to meet you as well! 🙂

My current WIP is the first book of a planned four-book epic fantasy series that spans thousands of years.

I’ve been seriously writing for several years now!

What are you currently working on?

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@ashley-tegart

I’m glad I could help.  See ya around!  🙂

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ashley-tegart

My current WIP is the first book of a planned four-book epic fantasy series that spans thousands of years.

I’ve been seriously writing for several years now!

What are you currently working on?

Ooh! Books that span a long time are really cool!

I’m working on a fantasy trilogy set in a desert setting inspired by medieval North Africa.

The premise of the first book is the princess of a tribe has to rescue her elder brother from an enemy tribe before a war breaks out.

What’s your favorite part of your current WIP?

I really love my protagonist, Princess Liorah, she’s so sassy and fun to write XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@ashley-tegart

Hi Ashley,

Welcome! You will find many Lewis and Tolkien fans among us!  So glad to have you join.  Check out some of the Forums and join a group.

I write Fantasy too and have a WIP I have been…[ahem]…perfecting…for many years. 🙂
    Would love to hear what yours is about.  Mine has a long timeline too, but the longer timespan are mostly in the interweaved backstory.  Incidents from Genesis to Revelation show up (fall, walk, crawl and fly) and crossover into the “Mid-World” I envisioned.  My WIP is online, but I have a publisher for it once my (stealth) revisions are complete.

Check out the Forums.

Several have started some exciting topics that help draw out some of your special gifts and perceptions.
    Here are a few I recommend:
    1. Character Development Fun –
    Completely-Useless-Character-Game
    Post a picture, drawn or image of what you imagine one of your WIP characters might look like, and using the set questions, let others guess what they are like.

2. Introduce one of your WIP Villains –
    Villains-Character-Castle
    Get in character and introduce one of your villains trapped in the confines of the Villain Character Castle.

3. [Newly started: Audio Cinema]
    Audio-Cinema
    Record a shared MP3 audio file of you performing a single scene of your WIP, along with the limited text of the scene, without intro or qualifiers, and let others listen to how it sounds as you might imagine a reader could experience it.  This stretches you to hear what you write, rather than just see it. Get some valuable feedback from other writers using some valuable scene questions related to the mood, ambiance, and character connections.  Listen to what others are doing and get a cinematic sense of the scenic experience, to imagine more possibilities.

There are so many to choose from, so look at what intrigues you and jump right in. You will be very welcome.

God Bless!

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Brian Stansell

@ashley-tegart

Till We Have Faces is a great read. I have several C.S. Lewis books and got The Chronicles of Narnia when I was years old which put me on my writing journey…long, long ago…in a galaxy far, far away… [sorry, got distracted there.]
    A lot of my fiction tastes are blended genres, but I love biblical mysteries and have researched several that open up yet another amazement at our grand Creator and His masterful plan to redeem and reconcile us to Himself.

Ask me sometime about the Genesis 5 “Hidden Message” in the Names mystery.  I am a Big Fan of biblical scholar Dr. Chuck Missler, PhD (now deceased), but you can find him on YouTube [while “they” still haven’t banned them].  He was the Founder of the Koinonia Institute Ministry.

So welcome!  May you have a very blessed day!

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Ashley Tegart
    @ashley-tegart

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi, Rose!

Your WIP sounds very cool! What are some of your favorite fantasy books?

My favorite part of my WIP is that I’m writing in third person omniscient for the first time, and I’m very much enjoying developing an “author voice”. 🙂

Thank you for the forum information!

I don’t have much of a plot summary ironed out to share, but my story is a high-stakes good vs. evil, classic heroes and villains, Hero’s Journey type of fantasy. I’ve always wanted to write something in the same vein of story as Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc.

I love reading theological works by R.C. Sproul, John Piper, and Francis Schaeffer!

MelancholicWriter
    @melancholicwriter

@ashley-tegart
    Hi Ashley! Nice to meet you! I’m Tasha or Melancholic Writer. C.S. Lewis, Tolkien!!! GIRL YAYYYY!!! I write mostly fantasy and romance but reeaaally want to try my hand at sci-fi sometime

"Courage is found in unlikely places." JRR Tolkien

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ashley-tegart

Your WIP sounds very cool! What are some of your favorite fantasy books?

*Produces a scroll and unfurls it. It reaches the floor* Ahem! Here we go!

I love Ranger’s Apprentice and Brotherband Chronicles by John Flanagan. They’re slightly lacking in several aspects, but still very enjoyable!

The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen. Amazing narrator and main character, fascinating plot. The first book is definitely the best, but the others are pretty good.

The Scourge by Jennifer Nielsen. A standalone, for once. Interesting world and plot, with a very fun character dynamic between the MC and her best friend.

The Letter for the King and Secrets of the Wild Wood by Tonke Dragt. Fun, light-hearted fantasy with a fantastic world and cool plots and characters. The second book is definitely my favorite since you get more gray characters.

What are your favorite fantasy books?

My favorite part of my WIP is that I’m writing in third person omniscient for the first time, and I’m very much enjoying developing an “author voice”.

Awesome! I’ve only ever written in first person.

Ashley Tegart
    @ashley-tegart

(I meant to reply to these sooner but I was having issues with the page crashing, which seems to be fixed now…)

@melancholicwriter

Nice to meet you, too! I’m guessing you’re a Tolkien and Lewis fan, too? My one attempt at writing science fiction really turned into space fantasy, so maybe it doesn’t count too much! 😛 What are some of your favorite books?

@rose-colored-fancy

I read The False Prince and its sequel (I think?) a few years ago, but never finished the series! I’ve heard good things about The Ranger’s Apprentice!

My favorite fantasy books are Lord of the Rings, Till We Have Faces, the Narnia series. I haven’t finished this series yet, but I read the first two books of N.D. Wilson’s 100 Cupboards series and very much enjoyed them!

Do you write with one first-person POV character or multiple? I tried writing once with two first-person POV characters and struggled with giving them distinct character voices. I settled on using one POV character in the end.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@ashley-tegart

I read The False Prince and its sequel (I think?) a few years ago, but never finished the series! I’ve heard good things about The Ranger’s Apprentice!

Awesome! Yes, the concept behind Ranger’s Apprentice is quite good, though there are some things I would have done differently. The False Prince was great!

My favorite fantasy books are Lord of the RingsTill We Have Faces, the Narnia series. I haven’t finished this series yet, but I read the first two books of N.D. Wilson’s 100 Cupboards series and very much enjoyed them!

Cool, I haven’t read any of those!

Do you write with one first-person POV character or multiple? I tried writing once with two first-person POV characters and struggled with giving them distinct character voices. I settled on using one POV character in the end.

The first book is one POV, with a few chapters from other povs in limited third-person. The second book has two first-person narrators, and getting the voices right was hard at first, but I’m fairly happy with it now!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest