fb

Hello! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    emily-maynard
    @emily-maynard

Hey everyone!

My name is Emily. I was super excited when I found this website – I didn’t know a community of young Christian authors like this existed! I love reading just about everything (historical fiction is my favorite though) and write mostly historical fiction, not that I’ve written that much.

My favorite books are probably Running for my Life by Lopez Lomong and Little Women, although I started reading Melanie Dickerson’s books recently and they’re really good!

I love playing keys in my youth group’s worship band, sewing, running cross-country, and getting myself into theological debates (if anyone knows of a good apologetics curriculum please share!!). I’m homeschooled (seems to be a theme around here) and the oldest of five siblings.

Also I’m super extroverted so don’t be surprised if I spend more time chatting than reading…

Can’t wait to get to know everyone!

claire
    @claire-h

@emily-maynard

Hi Emily! Great to meet you! I actually just joined this forum recently as well and I’ve had a lot of fun interacting with people so far! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too! 🙂

I’m homeschooled, an extrovert, and oldest of five as well. 😀 How old are you? I’m seventeen.

Also, I like theological debates. Lol. Sounds like we have a few things in common! What kind of theology do you enjoy studying/talking about?

I’ve read some Melanie Dickerson before and I enjoyed it a lot! My favorite genres are fantasy and historical fiction. Right now I’m wading through my fantasy WIP. So far I’m still on the character development and world building. 😀

Welcome to Story Embers!

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

Eitan
    @eitan

@emily-maynard

Hello Emily! Welcome! I’m actually very new here, and people there are very very nice. I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun here 😀

and getting myself into theological debates (if anyone knows of a good apologetics curriculum please share!!)

I love too theology debates! What are your favorite topic to debate about (and with whom)?

From where do you come?

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

emily-maynard
    @emily-maynard

I love too theology debates! What are your favorite topic to debate about (and with whom)? [quote quote=110222] How old are you? I’m seventeen. Also, I like theological debates. Lol. Sounds like we have a few things in common! What kind of theology do you enjoy studying/talking about?

Hey Claire and Eitan! I like debunking ideas that the Christian community has accepted but don’t match up with the Bible, although I enjoy any sort of intellectual argument. I mostly spar in my Sunday school class (it’s super discussion based) and with other teens in my youth group. I’m fifteen. 🙂

emily-maynard
    @emily-maynard

I’m still figuring out how to format the quotes lol

Eitan
    @eitan

Cool! I’m fourteen.

I like debunking ideas that the Christian community has accepted but don’t match up with the Bible

Hmm. Like what?

And if we already talk about theology and stuff – what are you now studying in the Bible?

running cross-country

Cool, I run too! (at least I did. Now we can’t go from home any further than 100 meters 🙁 ).

claire
    @claire-h

@emily-maynard

I like debunking ideas that the Christian community has accepted but don’t match up with the Bible, although I enjoy any sort of intellectual argument.

Yes, I enjoy intellectual arguments as well. 😀 Have you ever read the Answers books by Answers in Genesis? They give some good answers to common questions posed by skeptics, evolutionists, etc.

One of my favorite theology books is called “The Kingdom of God” by Jeffrey Johnson. It’s all about covenant theology in the Bible. It’s not as heady as some and the second half of the book is a beautiful overview of the Bible. 🙂

it just blooms.

emily-maynard
    @emily-maynard

Hmm. Like what? And if we already talk about theology and stuff – what are you now studying in the Bible?

For example, a lot of people say that all sin is equal and none is worse than the others, but no there is nothing in the Bible to back it up. True, all sin has the consequence of hell (unless one is saved), but God certainly views some sins as worse than others (Proverbs 6:16-19, Luke 12:47-48; also evident throughout the Mosaic law).

Right now I’m going through 1 Timothy with my mentor, and hopping around on my own. I have a Scripture writing plan I follow, so usually I’ll start with the day’s passage and something nearby will catch my eye and I’ll read that. I’m trying to focus on really studying and digging deep into just a few verses at a time instead of just reading a few chapters and only scratching the surface.

Yes, I enjoy intellectual arguments as well. 😀 Have you ever read the Answers books by Answers in Genesis? They give some good answers to common questions posed by skeptics, evolutionists, etc. One of my favorite theology books is called “The Kingdom of God” by Jeffrey Johnson. It’s all about covenant theology in the Bible. It’s not as heady as some and the second half of the book is a beautiful overview of the Bible. 🙂

I haven’t – thank you so much! I’ll look into those!

claire
    @claire-h

@emily-maynard

I know what you mean about trying to dive deeper into Scripture. Sometimes reading plans have too much to read per day! I enjoy taking things slowly too. 🙂 My favorite book of the Bible is probably Isaiah -or Colossians. What are some of your favorite books of the Bible? (I know it’s hard to pick just one!)

I haven’t – thank you so much! I’ll look into those!

You’re welcome! I’m always happy to share!  Do you have any favorite nonfiction books?

Also, I thought I’d mention one of my favorite book series since you said you like historical fiction. 🙂 It’s called “Chosen Daughters” and is based off of real women in history who impacted the world for God. I love it, mainly because the stories are based off of fact! My absolute favorite book in the series is “Against the Tide” about Margaret Wilson, a young woman in Scotland who was martyred for her faith. It’s a encouraging and thought provoking read for sure.

it just blooms.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@Emily-maynard

Hey, I’m Naiya! It’s awesome to have you here. This is a great place to connect with other Christian writers, and the people I’ve met here have really helped me focus on and improve my writing. I hope it does the same for you!

Haha, I’m an introvert that loves people. 😉 INFP, to be more exact. Usually sketching, writing, chatting with writer friends, or getting distracted. That last one happens a lot. . .

Anyways, I’m on the second draft of my low fantasy novel. Do you have any current works in progress?

(Oh–lil forum thing. If you want someone to see a post–like, if you’re in an ongoing conversation with someone and want them to see your response–just tag them within the post–like if you wanted to tag me, you would just put @naiya-dyani in the post. Some people’s tag names are different from their usernames, though–so you’ll want to check the specific person’s tag. 😉 Ok, I’m done.)

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

emily-maynard
    @emily-maynard

My favorite book of the Bible is probably Isaiah -or Colossians. What are some of your favorite books of the Bible? (I know it’s hard to pick just one!)

Do you have any favorite nonfiction books? Also, I thought I’d mention one of my favorite book series since you said you like historical fiction. 🙂 It’s called “Chosen Daughters” and is based off of real women in history who impacted the world for God. I love it, mainly because the stories are based off of fact!

I enjoy reading Jeremiah (especially the first chapter) and Acts a lot. job is pretty interesting, too (I’m serious!). Like you said, it’s hard to pick one or even a few!

Can’t wait to check those out!

Anyways, I’m on the second draft of my low fantasy novel. Do you have any current works in progress? (Oh–lil forum thing. If you want someone to see a post–like, if you’re in an ongoing conversation with someone and want them to see your response–just tag them within the post–like if you wanted to tag me, you would just put @naiya-dyani in the post. Some people’s tag names are different from their usernames, though–so you’ll want to check the specific person’s tag. 😉 Ok, I’m done.)

I’m working on a story (not sure how long it’s going to be yet – I’m still developing the plot) about a 15 year old girl who immigrates from Cuba in 1962 without her parents as part of Operación Pedro Pan. It’s about her adjusting to life in the United States, taking care of her younger siblings, and navigating relationships.

Thanks for the tip!

WolverineRM
    @wolverinerm

@emily-maynard

Hey! I’m Kassie. I’m the homeschooled oldest of four and I love running. ☺️ I write mostly contemporary, but I love historical fiction, I’m just not wired to write it as novels. But I love writing his-fic short stories. 💕

Little Women! *melts* Have you seen the 2019 movie? It does the book a whole lot better justice than the 1994 movie imo. 🥰 And I just love Jo…

Nice to meet you! I’m not always on here consistently but I love dropping in every once in a while. 😉

I ask where he got these crazy ideas anyway
    He just smiles and says, it’s the way that I was raised

Eitan
    @eitan

@emily-maynard

Right now I’m going through 1 Timothy with my mentor, and hopping around on my own. I have a Scripture writing plan I follow, so usually I’ll start with the day’s passage and something nearby will catch my eye and I’ll read that. I’m trying to focus on really studying and digging deep into just a few verses at a time instead of just reading a few chapters and only scratching the surface.

Thank you so much! I had difficulties with reading the Bible for myself, you have really helped me!

Jeremiah (especially the first chapter)

I think that chapters 30-31 are the most beautiful (I don’t mean that everything else isn’t, but I just can’t explain how I felt when I read chapters 30-31 – partly because I don’t know the English word 😅).

emily-maynard
    @emily-maynard

💕 Little Women! *melts* Have you seen the 2019 movie? It does the book a whole lot better justice than the 1994 movie imo. 🥰 And I just love Jo… Nice to meet you! I’m not always on here consistently but I love dropping in every once in a while. 😉

I haven’t yet! My mom and I are dying to see it but didn’t get the chance to see it in theaters and of course Redbox is off limits right now.

Thank you so much! I had difficulties with reading the Bible for myself, you have really helped me!

I’m so glad it helped you!

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@emily-maynard

Hello, nice to meet you! My name is Beth! I enjoy reading historical fiction as well but like reading fantasy fiction better lol! My favorite historical fiction author is Rosemary Sutcliff! My favorite fiction author is N.D.Wilson! I am 13 and the second youngest of seven haha! I am also homeschooled haha! I have read Little Woman and liked it!

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest