Hello

This topic contains 31 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Abigail Rebekah 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Abigail Rebekah
    @abigail-rebekah

@selah-chelyah

Nice to meet you πŸ™‚

I am honoured to be the first (or almost first) G. A. Henty fan that you have met πŸ™‚ Wow… I definitely have not read his books that many times as much as I love them xD. I have read a lot of them though.

I am super glad to meet someone who writes/likes his-fic too, as it seems there are a lot of fantasy lovers here. I do like fantasy, but his-fic is definitely one of my favourites. It’s probably because with fantasy, you have to create an entire world from your own imagination, with its own laws and cultures whereas with his-fic, you already have those things laid down, which helps πŸ™‚

I also like writing suspenseful thriller xD

@holly-anne is my slightly older sister *winks at sister*.

Do you have a favourite genre of music that you listen to while you write?

IΒ LOVEΒ listening to movie soundtracks or other instrumental music.

Also, is G. A. Henty your favourite author?

~ Laugh. Drink Coffee. Smile. And Write ~

Selah
      @selah-chelyah

@holly-anne

Wow, that is so awesome! There are a lot of people from big families on here, and quite a few have siblings on the forum as well. πŸ™‚

Cool! That is awesome. Fantasy in the real world? What do you mean by that? Sounds intriguing, but…well, I have read a grand total of maybe 3 fantasy books in my life, so I am not one to know a lot about it. XD

Favorite author? Oo…one fav is definitely Henty, and I love Baroness Orczy’s writings as well. I have read pretty much all of her books, and the Scarlet Pimpernel books are my favs. Have you heard of her, or of those books? I have a bunch of fav authors on my profile page, if you want to check that out as well. πŸ™‚

What are some of your fav authors?

@abigail-rebekah

(I love both you and your sister’s tags, btw. Very pretty! Are they your real names?)

You too! That is great. What are some of your favs of Henty’s books? I have a lot of favs, including St Bartholemew’s Eve, Won By the Sword, A Search for a Secret, and all of his ancient-set books. They are all so good, though! πŸ˜€

Yes, I know it! There are indeed a lot of fantasy lovers on here. Thus you are a super-extraordinary person (along with your sister), as you read and like his-fic, AND you really like Henty. Lol! I agree with you about fantasy vs his-fic. It constantly amazes me, the more that I read nonfiction and hear stories of real people, how truth is so much stranger than fiction…thus I love his-fic, which to me is as close to reality as you can get when you write fiction. I incorporate a lot of real-life people into my books as well, and everything is as true-to-history as I can make it. That is so much fun to me! πŸ™‚

Neat! I think most of my his-fic books would fall under a lot of other genre titles like that, suspense, thriller, mystery, action/adventure, etc… XD

Music…oo, yes! I love soundtracks & epic instrumentals when I am writing (or doing about anything). I have a lot of different kinds of music that I love and listen to a lot, but mostly I listen to Two Steps From Hell when I am writing, whenever I can. Their music is amazing! Have you heard of it? I make a lot of playlists on YouTube of diff kinds of music. Do you have a YouTube account?

For fav authors, refer to my above response toΒ  your sister. πŸ˜€

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Selah.

Assistant Guildmaster of the Awesome Meraki
      ~ Created to create ~

Abigail Rebekah
      @abigail-rebekah

@selah-chelyah

Thanks πŸ™‚ Yes it is my real name.

I really likeΒ A Final Reckoning, A Search for a SecretΒ andΒ The Curse of Carne’s Hold.

Yeah, his-fic is really cool.

I once tried to start writing about a real person but it kinda failed xD

Your genres sound cool.

I haven’t heard of Baroness Orczy. Does she do fiction or fantasy?

Have you heard of John J. Horn? I love his books πŸ™‚

I like listening to 2Cellos, and some of Lindsey Stirling’s pieces. And solo piano stuff can be really pretty (my dad and @holl-anne both play the piano really well xD)

I haven’t heard ofΒ Two Steps From Hell.

I don’t have my own YouTube account; if I am listening to music, I just use Spotify πŸ™‚

Some of my favourite movie soundtracks would have to be Hacksaw Ridge and The Book Thief

Selah
        @selah-chelyah

@abigail-rebekah

Oo, neat! Selah is my real first name, and Chelyah is Hebrew for my real second name, but most people on here use pennames. That is really cool!

Yes, those are really, really good ones for sure! You like the mystery-type ones, then, don’t you? Have you read One of the 28th? It is a mystery-type one as well, thought not quite as much as the others in some ways. Henty is so good at writing so many types of books, and all so different!Β A Woman of the CommuneΒ is really cool as well, and more like the ones you mentioned. The end of A Final Reckoning is SO GOOD!

XD, that is funny. Think you’ll ever try again, or just stick with writing fantasy?

Baroness Orczy writes very historical his-fic. The Scarlet Pimpernel books are set in Revolutionary France + England, and definitely qualify as mystery and romance as well as his-fic. πŸ™‚

Yes, I have heard of him, and follow him on Goodreads, but have not ever read any of his books. Have any favs? I want to read them one of these days. XD

Those soundtracks sound really cool. I have heard of the movie Hacksaw Ridge…that is the one about Desmond Dass, right? Do you like the movie, or have you seen it? I will have to check out the soundtrack! Here is one of my fav TSFH songs, though I have a playlist of more like 50 songs, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh2oOf9qxo4&list=PL7g58hWtps8ZeYLt3zgxHn-Y_jJ-5W1Pj&index=1

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Selah.

~ Created to create ~

Holly Anne
        @holly-anne

@selah-chelyah

So what I mean by fantasy in the real world is fantasy that happens in real places, on earth. So examples would be N.D.Wilson’s Ashtown Burials, because they are totally fantasy, but they all happen in America. I don’t think ‘real-world fantasy’ is the right name lol, but it kinda describes what I mean πŸ™‚

I LOVE Henty too!! And I have heard of the Scarlet Pimpernel and Baroness Orczy’s but I haven’t read any of them yet πŸ™‚

I like lots of the same authors that you do πŸ™‚

Some of my favourites would be N.D.Wilson, John J. Horn (LOVE his books), R.M.Ballantyne (except for ‘the pioneers’ 😐 ), G.A.Henty, Hope Ann πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I see that you’re a fellow music fan πŸ™‚ *air high-fives*

Do you play any instruments?

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling" (Inception)
          Composer, Writer, Sarcastic πŸ˜‰

Selah
          @selah-chelyah

@holly-anne

Ah, okay! That makes more sense, lol.

Cool! You will have to check them out sometime and let me know what you think. πŸ™‚ If you want to read them online or print them off to read, you can do so for free here. I have printed off dozens of books from that site…pretty cool!

That is so awesome! And rare, for me. XD Most people stick with a lot of fantasy and don’t know most of the authors I read a lot of.

Absolutely! What writer isn’t, eh? *high-fives back*

I do not, unfortunately, play any instruments. Do you?

~ Created to create ~

Abigail Rebekah
          @abigail-rebekah

@selah-chelyah

I really like your name too πŸ™‚

Yes, I definitely like the mystery ones – they are soo fun to read xD

One of the 28thΒ does ring a bell…I am pretty sure I have read it, or at least thoroughly looked through it LOL

It is really hard to have a favourite of his books, isn’t it? They are just soo good.Β  A Woman of the Commune I really enjoyed. And yes, the ending for A Final ReckoningΒ is soo good πŸ™‚ I like the girls in it xD

Baroness Orczy’s books sound really cool. I want to read them πŸ™‚

I might write about a historical person at some point if I have a good idea, but not at the moment. Anyway, my WIP that I am attempting to properly plan and write, like plotting first of all instead of just writing as it comes to me (something I struggle with LOL), potentially would have historical people in it, they just wouldn’t play a big part.

One of my favourites of John J. Horn would probably have to be his latest,Β The Mountain Fortress.Β It is super exciting πŸ™‚

You should totally read them xD

Yes, Hacksaw Ridge is the movie about Desmond Doss. I have watched it – it was probably one of the best movies I have seen because of the depth it had to it. Plus, it gave me a greater appreciation of what those men did to preserve our freedom. He was soo brave!

Do you have a current WIP? If so, what is it about?

Holly Anne
            @holly-anne

@selah-chelyah

Thanks for that link! That’s so cool that they’re free! And yer, I will have to read some and let you know what I think πŸ™‚

Yes I know! I think it’s sad when people don’t have a wide variety πŸ™ To be honest, most of the fiction I’ve read is his-fic. I only got into proper fantasy quite recently, although I’ve been ‘writing’ it for a little while. What are your favourite his-fic books?

Yes, I do play a few instruments. Piano is my main one, but I also play guitar, Cajon (box drum) and I play around on quite a few others πŸ™‚

Selah
              @selah-chelyah

@abigail-rebekah

Thanks! πŸ™‚

YAS! I agree…he is so good at writing them. Cool, lol! The hero’s mother searches for a missing will (in disguise) while he is fighting Napoleon across the sea, ending with the battle of Waterloo. Maybe that helps, maybe not. XD!

Oo, me too! (Yes, that is probably ’cause I’m a girl, but that’s the way it was meant to be, eh?!) I love the female perspective that is SO well written in A Search for a Secret, as well.

Yes, you should! Steal that link from your sister and print some of her books off. πŸ˜›

Sure. That is still cool!

That sounds fascinating. I’ll check his books out when I have a chance, indeed! XD

That is awesome. I know the story, and have heard of the movie and book, but not seen/read them.

Yeah, I actually have like 25 WIPs, but only like 3 that I am working on currently. The one I’m focusing on currently is based around 9/11… a his-fic/Christian/”romance”/adventure/etc… genre includer, lol! I feel bad for all my betas who have only read the first 5 chapters (that is all I have online right now, and have another 5 in notebooks), because I leave it hanging there with my characters having gone through a lot of trauma. I am finishing school before I keep writing, so it will be a few months before I pick it up again, and let them find out what happens. Lol! Would you like to read it? I can email you the access link if you’d like to. @holly-anne, I can send it to you as well, if you want. πŸ™‚

@holly-anne

Awesome! I love that I can print them off and read them, which I do a lot of. XD

I agree. They miss out on SO much, poor things! πŸ˜€ Yeah…I read a ton of his-fic and history, but hardly any fantasy and traditional stuff like that. That is so cool! Fav books? Oh boy, there are WAY too many to think about, lol. Do you have a Goodreads account? I have a lot of my favs on there.

That is really neat! I love music and have always wanted to play instruments, but alas, never had time. πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Selah.

~ Created to create ~

Holly Anne
              @holly-anne

@selah-chelyah

Yes they don’t know what they’re missing lol.

No, I don’t have a goodreads account sadly… I should probably get one sometime though lol!!!

And I would love to read your book!!! Would you like me to do editing/critiquing, or just reading? I LOVE editing FYI…

Do you have google docs? If so, could you possibly paste the link in a comment maybe?

Look forward to reading it!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Abigail Rebekah
                @abigail-rebekah

@selah-chelyah

That does help… I am pretty sure that I have at least looked through it xD

Yes, ditto πŸ™‚

Sounds good, I’ll definitely see about reading them LOL

25 WIP? That’s like me xD

Your story sounds soo cool πŸ™‚

So, do you like writing about big things that have happened in history then? I would like to do that. My current book that I am trying to write lol, is set during World War II.

Selah
                  @selah-chelyah

@holly-anne

Yeah, I did not really use my account until lately, but I do think it’s helpful. XD
                  Awesome! When I beta read, I love editing like crazy, as well…but I also love people doing the same thing for me. So don’t be afraid of editing & commenting too much, ’cause I love it. πŸ™‚

It is on a Google Document, but it is closed access, so you will have to email me so I can send it to you. My email is needleworksbyselah@gmail.comΒ  Looking forward to having you read it! πŸ˜›

@abigail-rebekah

Okay, cool!

Lol, IKR? Too many awesome ideas to keep up with.

Thanks! If you want to email me, I would be happy to send it to you as well. You can just email me at the email above, as well. πŸ™‚

Lol, nearly every single WIP I have is set around a major historical event…most of them around a war or like event in almost any given era. Ideas just come to me more around events + disasters, I guess. XD

~ Created to create ~

Abigail Rebekah
                  @abigail-rebekah

@selah-chelyah

Hi Selah,

So sorry I haven’t replied sooner *sad face*

I would love to read your story at some point, but I won’t right now, as it would be good to focus on my schoolwork xD Thanks so much though πŸ™‚

Cool. Yeah, I love having my WIPs set around major historical events. Most of them seem to end up around World WarΒ I and II πŸ™‚

Do you have any historical events that you tend to write more about?

Selah
                    @selah-chelyah

@abigail-rebekah

That is totally okay! I totally get that.Β  Maybe after you graduate… πŸ˜›

Yep, that is me quite a bit as well. I don’t know that I have particular events I tend to write more about, it’s more that I want to write about every single one of them! Lol. I mean, name literally any war in American history and I will have ideas for a book that I want to write set around it. XD

I love writing about events and times farther back in history as well, and there are a lot of periods farther back (ancient, medieval, renaissance, etc) that I have books set in.

How about you?

~ Created to create ~

Abigail Rebekah
                    @abigail-rebekah

@selah-chelyah

So sorry I haven’t replied in soooooooo long.

That’s really cool about the eras/events that you like writing about xD

I really like writing or more like attempting to write lol,Β  stories set in either World War I or II.

Do you have any historical people that you tend to write about too? Or do you like creating your own characters?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+Β readersΒ answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest