fb

Hedgehog Jones Needs Advice

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Hedgehog Jones Needs Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Hedges
    @h-jones

Hello all!

As evidenced by the title of this thread, I am in need of some assistance. I have number of questions. Whew. Where do I begin… I guess I’ll start out by saying that I have a superhero story put together in my mind, and I’m ready to start putting it out there. The real struggle I’ve come across is how.

The reason why I ask is because (a) I don’t want this to be a written novel—I either want it to be a graphic novel or a combination of both prose and (massive) amounts of artwork, (b) I am wondering about financial gain (ugh), and (c) … well I really just don’t know what to do. 😂🤷🏼‍♀️

And ugh. I guess I’m just frustrated because man, there are so many complicated variations to this thing! Particularly because I don’t want to publish your typical story. I’ve actually gone over a lot of options for how I want it to be published, and I’ve narrowed it down to these few…

1. I could self-publish and sell my works on the road with my family band. (The sad thing, however, is that the story deals with many hard issues [main character is a teen mom who is also fatherless, the bad guy is a ruthless killer who doesn’t value human life at all, alcoholism is addressed, many characters die] and I’m not sure how well that would go over with a typically senior, Southern Gospel audience.)
    2. I could publish sections of the story weekly/bi-weekly on one of my favorite webcomic platforms, WEBTOON, and create a patreon account so people can support me. (Cons: this website is. Absolutely terrible. FOR THE RECORD, I DON’T RECOMMEND CHECKING IT OUT. There ARE rare gems  [which is why I’m there at all], but it’s so easy to become bored and search for other comics… which can be, simply put, traumatizing. 😅 I’ve actually considered just dumping it because really it’s more bad than good, and I really would hate to publish it on that site because I wouldn’t want to lead any of my family or friends there. More than that, it’s obvious that the platform and I don’t value the same principles.)
    3. I could try to get someone to publish my odd little book and hope it generates enough to sustain me. (Where would I publish it? And having a very heavily illustrated book would be very expensive because of ink and paper, right? And if I went with a graphic novel, do people even read those anymore? Do people even READ anymore?)

And woof. I’m kind of overwhelmed. My mom also had an idea that even if I did publish on WEBTOON, I could use the money I generate from the story to start a more wholesome webcomic publisher, since I really really love the formatting and easy access those things have. But, I still kind of don’t want to publish it on WEBTOON because I don’t want them to have rights to my story, either, since they would be my publisher. I guess. I’m really not sure how those things work.

I think it really is easy to say, though, that I feel like an income and a fanbase would be far more easily generated if I DID publish on WEBTOON. *massages temples* It’s kind of the “easy way out,” I guess. Is that bad?

So yeah. Idk. I guess I’m really just wondering if any of you know of any places where it would be appropriate to reveal my story in installments (which is what I’d like to do), or how to generate income through traditional/self-publishing. I’m not sure. Just any publishing advice or marketing advice would be helpful in general.

And ugh! I wish I didn’t have to worry about money! But I feel like if I don’t, I won’t be able to do this at all because I won’t have the time because I’ll be… working. 😂💔 Which is probably not true, but yeah, I guess I want to be able to kind of devote myself to my work.

I apologize in advance if this all seems confusing or jumbled. I’m really not entirely sure of what I’m talking about either, so I’m kind of in the same boat. 😂

I just, ugh. I think I really want to do what God wants to do with this story, but I just wish it’d be easy. Sigh. It’s so hard to discern what God wants me to do. I feel like He wouldn’t want me to opt out for WEBTOON, but man. It’d be so easy. 😂💔 Ah well.

Thank you for whoever read through this! You’re a champ! You deserve amazing things in life!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Hedges.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Hedges.

Married a blacksmith, and now frequently uses his knowledge for writing fantasy.

J. B. Stanhope
    @jbstanhope

Well, another publishing option would be to create your own blog or website to publish your work on. This would probably be a lot of work. People would have to find your website, so you would have to figure out how to market it. To make money you could still use a Patreon account or you could look into advertising (or both). You could also possibly later publish a print copy of your webcomic and probably at least a few of your readers would buy it because they like print books.

From my perspective as a reader, I think the best way to market a book is to provide a free short story or excerpt of your writing to get me interested. You would still need to find a way to get people to read that (posting the link on this forum might be a good start). I have become interested in buying books from several authors through reading stories that they let me read for subscribing to their mailing lists.

Lin
    @lin

@h-jones That’s a really difficult decision! I think I agree with @jbstanhope . Having your own place to post your story might be easier. After reading what you wrote about WEBTOON I think you might not be able to shake the bad feeling you have about it if you were to post your work there. I might be mistaken though! And ofcourse you could try to send it to publishers! I’m not sure how that works in the USA but over here if a publisher really likes your writing he will find an illustrator that might fit your story and pay for it. I’d definitely like to see some more graphic novels that christians can enjoy too. 🙂

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@h-jones

*slinks into the room*

Uh, er…*cough* heh…

Well, I feel slightly horrible about coming in here and posting because I don’t have any advice or words of wisdom or great philosophical comments on what you should or should not do.  I didn’t even come to help you out. (I know, I’m a jerk.)

I came because, well, the title of your post. Hedgehog Jones Needs Advice

HEDGEHOGS!!!! 😮😀🎉🎉🎉🦔🦔🦔❤️ Excuse me as I hyperventilate for a moment!

Is that what the “h” in h-jones stands for?! I never knew…Well, it’s nice to meet you, friend, and Ferdinand is glad to make the acquaintance of another hedgie lover! *hedge-hugs*

(P.S. I did actually read your full post. Yes, I am a champ. *pat’s back* 😉 Seriously though, I hope you get lots of good advice, and you figure out what you are going to do and please don’t get to stressed out because that’s not fun and here’s-some-pizza-and-a-hug-because-they-make-thing’s-better.🍕🤗 )

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Hedges
    @h-jones

@jbstanhope @lin @eden-anderson

So sorry I didn’t reply sooner guys!! But thank you so much for your insight! It has been invaluable. I genuinely appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me. Sadly I don’t have time to formulate individual responses (yet), but I just wanted to get that out there. ❤️

Married a blacksmith, and now frequently uses his knowledge for writing fantasy.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

I don’t know anything about this kind of thing, but my immediate thought was to make your own website as Stanhope said. Ik someone I follow on Instagram has a website for her own webcomic, and she uses her Instagram to advertise whenever she puts a new page up.

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@h-jones

Hey, I just had to pop in and say that I love your new profile pic/name! How are you doing? I’m afraid I have rather let your dear inspiration topic go to seed…

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Hedges
    @h-jones

@the-fledgling-artist Oh wow, that actually sounds like a brilliant idea! I was considering making a website of my own, but it didn’t occur to me to advertise via Instagram or some other social media platform. Genius! (And thank you @jbstanhope! Haha)

@selah-chelyah
    Awww thank you!! Haha yeah, I figured I really don’t need a secret identity anymore, so yeah, my real name is Grace and that is what I look like, as it just so happens. xD I’m doing good, thank you for asking! And hahaha believe me, no worries at all! I couldn’t keep up with it myself, lol, and thanks a million for keeping it up for so long!! How are YOU doing? 😀

@jbstanhope
    Yes, thank you a million! Posting the link here is a great idea! Once I get it up and going, I may just do that. (:

@lin
    Yeah, I have decided to not go with Webtoon. XD I’m leaning more toward having my own website and offering snippets for people to read + having a Patreon, but I have also wondered about having a physical copy as well! Hm…

@eden-anderson
    Believe me girl, that completely made my day. 😂😂 Sadly the H stood for Heather. The hedgehog thing came from @i-david actually, I think because my profile picture was a hedgehog on a google docs thing we did for some reason. So he started calling me Hedgehog Jones and it (sort of) stuck xDDDD BUT YES I LOVE HEDGEHOGS TOO AND I AM ALL FOR THE HEDGE-HUGS (and pizza!! Hahaha) *hedge-hugs back* and no you are not a jerk!! Reading that made me so happy hahaha ❤️

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@h-jones

Ah, well, Heather is a beautiful name! I like it. 😄

The hedgehog thing came from @i-david actually,

Yes, that makes lots of sense. @i-david is kind of known for dishing out nicknames quite liberally. 😜

YAYYY!! Another hedgehog lover! *dances around in happy circles* And to be honest, I think this is the first time I made someone happy by doing nothing for them. Maybe I should start doing that for a job…it sounds um, relaxing. 🤪

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones Yay! It seems like you have some sense of direction now. 😀 😀

I, David
    @i-david

You bet Hedgehog Jones stuck.

Four
    INFP
    songwriter

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@h-jones

Yes…I missed you! 😀 I am doing pretty well. Staying way too busy, but doing well in Christ.

@eden-anderson

Lol, yes, @i-david is pretty good at what he does…and does…and does. 😛

@i-david

Haha!

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Hedges
    @h-jones

@eden-Anderson Haha yes, have a job of making people’s days! 😂😂 Be a comedian! Or dish out hedge-hugs for a price! It could be a fabulous and lucrative line of work for you (and I’m glad you like Heather haha ❤️ but feel free to call me Grace now… Heather was a pseudonym 😂)

@the-fledgling-artist
    Indeed!! (: My next step is to create a game plan for getting it outlined and illustrated. Pray for me! I need all the discipline I can get, haha 😅

@i-David
    I will always and forevermore be Hedgehog Jones x’D

@selah-chelyah
    Awww, thank you ❤️❤️❤️ And goodness, I understand about being busy! Bless! But I’m so happy you’re doing well!! That is absolutely fabulous to hear <3

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones Of course I’ll pray for you! 😀 😀 I hope you always feel welcome to ask me for prayers any time. <3

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@h-jones

Aw, your so sweet. 😁 Okay, I’ll call you Grace…that’s a beautiful name too!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest