fb

Guilds?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

Hey, Y’all *waves* Can someone explain Guilds to me?

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@shadowwriter161

Hey there! YES! I can. But first, your little fox is adorable.

Now! Guilds are what might be called armies. They headed up by Guild-Masters who are the generals of the armies. The purpose of the Guild-Master is to take his army (of writers given to him) and be a guide and uplifter, a trainer of sorts. He (or she) brings advice to his (or her) writers, and helps them hone their writing.

But that’s not all. I would argue (as has been my experience), that the best way a Guild-Master can hone his army, is by putting it at war with another… or all the other guilds. The soldiers learn that way, and the generals better understand how to better help their army after such encounters. What are these battles? There are Prose Wars, where each guild writes a short story, trying to put forth the best prose, and one guild wins. There are word wars, where the guilds see which of them can pull out the greatest amount of words in a week.

Aside from the wars, there are great things inside, such as the character lounges. These are wonderful, and help sooo much.

If you have time, I’d encourage you to join a guild. But if not, it might be hard to keep up. Things can get pretty fast moving. That being said, it can be an amazing way to actually get writing done, if you’re ready to put yourself to the pace of competition.

Ah! But I should also mention, that competition is not the only part of the guild. It’s just a big part. I am highly competitive, so that was a big thing for me. So maybe talk with the Guild-Masters to learn exactly how much competition would be wanted from you. That would be a good idea.

Welcome to Story Ember, I’m Buddy J. 🙂

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@wordsmith Hi 🙂 I’m weirdly obsessed with foxes, so that explains the profile picture 😉

About the Guilds. They sound incredibly exciting, but is there, like, a certain writing level you have to achieve to actually get into one? They just seem so…advanced. I’m also super new around here and know just the basics of how to use the site.

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

@shadowwriter161 Guildmaster right here! *waves*

In answer to your question, no. You do not have to be a certain level to be accepted into a guild. We can look and see what level you are at, and generally the guilds are made up of long-time writers, and newbies. This allows for more chances of improvement and to be able to grow and learn with others guiding you.

The main thing we love about the guilds is the sense of community that is built, and the excitement that comes from the participation in things. In Parimi Alca, we tend to discuss all different matters in writing, and we’re pretty close together. Don’t worry about your age either; As long as you are 13+, you can enter a guild! *happy claps*

Basically, guilds are a smaller SE forum that gets to have fun competitions, and is open to all who wish to enter!

Thanks @wordsmith for helping Shadow out! *fingerguns* And that’s a good explanation of the guilds. I approve. 😉

Writer | Freelance editor
    Inspiration

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@j-a-penrose

Wow, a Guildmaster, I’m honored. *bows low*

I’m glad to know the Guilds are open to all, regardless of experience. I’ve toyed with the idea of joining one, but there are so many choices and I have no idea what any of them are XD

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
    @myclipboardismyviolin

I’ve toyed with the idea of joining one, but there are so many choices and I have no idea what any of them are XD

You don’t get to decide which guild you get. Simply fill out the guild sign-up form, and your guild will be involuntarily assigned to you by the friendly Story Embers Overlords.

Sarah, Miss S, Sierepica_Fuzzywalker

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

@shadowwriter161 You may rise. 😂

Ahhhh. Technically you don’t get to pick. You just sign up to be sorted into a guild and eventually we’ll place you somewhere. However, if you do have somewhere in mind, you can ask the guildmaster if they’ll add you. If there’s room, then usually that’s fine. *nodnod*

The guilds themselves are typically the same in what they do. There’s a few bits and pieces that are specific to individual guilds though. (e.g. Buddy J. is from Rillumen where they have something called a Character Lounge which is where you can role play as your character in order to develop them.)

If you want to know about individual guilds, just ask me and I’ll see what I can work out.

Inspiration

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@j-a-penrose

*rises dramatically* Thank you, O Guildmaster, you are to kind. 😉

I’m slightly embarrassed to realize you don’t actually choose your Guild. But I guess that’s all a part of learning the system.

I would love to be included into any of the Guilds. I guess my main  trepidation would be that I wouldn’t contribute enough to the Guild I was placed into.

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

@shadowwriter161 If you say one thing a week on the guilds, than you are contributing more than a lot of members do.

In all honesty, if you want to try being in a guild, sign up and see how it goes. If you feel like it isn’t working out for you, let the guild master know and they’ll remove you. 😀

Inspiration

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@j-a-penrose

I just might do that. *nods solemnly* Thank you for your help. 😀 *fades back into the shadows with a wave*

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@shadowwriter161 You can see the different guilds and a bit about them here: https://storyembers.org/guilds/

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

Hey, I saw on the guild application one of the questions is what parts of story do you excel at. What do I put if I don’t know?

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kayla-skywriter Ask a friend who was read your stories! Sometimes it’s good to have a second opinion on those kind of things… I had the same problem. 😛

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@evelyn Great advice, but none of my friends know I write.

The only person who has read my stories is my Mom, and she told me herself that she can only really help with grammar problems.

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kayla-skywriter Well, even a non-writer can tell when a plot is boring or a character is cardboard. 😉

It might not hurt to go ahead and ask. *shrugs*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest