Guess Who’s Back & Self Published (+Needs advice!)

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Guess Who’s Back & Self Published (+Needs advice!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Karla Van Der Berg
    @blueberry

Hi guys!

Long time no see! Sorry I haven’t been on, but I have been focused with a thing…

Tah….Daaaaah! It’s actually been out for awhile now but I was kinda too emberessed to post here after disappearing for so long. However I have a problem and that’s that I can not seem to get my novel promoted even after throwing a lot of money at FB add thingy mah bobbers. My sales have been…embarrassing to say the least. Not that I expected to be a millionaire or anything, but I am just have rocky time convincing people to even download the free Kindle Unlimited version. Any advice to get audience Senpai to notice me? ^_^’

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

@blueberry

Congratulations!

My first question would be: Do you know who your target audience is? If you determine who your target audience is you can find out where they hang out online, what related things they’re going to be interested in, etc. and you’ll be able to better focus your efforts in places you’re actually likely to find people who are going to be interested in your book. You have a pretty niche book, so it’s going to have a pretty specific audience, so if you’re able to find that audience that’ll be a great starting point. From there you can also figure out how to connect with that target audience, although this is where my knowledge fails because I haven’t figured out how to do that yet. 😛

Paid ads aren’t likely to be your best bet. (Sorry, I guess that’s probably late advice…) You’re going to probably want to focus on forming relationships and trust and getting people familiar with who you are and what your story is. For instance, participating in Twitter games related to writing, posting snippets of your book on social media, forming an online presence (or utilizing the one you have) and being engaged with your audience. Ultimately, a reader is way more likely to buy a book from someone they trust and feel like they know than they are to buy a book they’ve never heard of by an author they’ve never heard of.

Another way you can promote your book is through related artwork. For me this means mostly character collages, but you have an advantage in that you’re actually an artist and you draw specific artwork for your books. Sharing that on social media, maybe along with snippets or bits of information about your characters can be a super great tool for generating interest and giving people something visual to connect with your writing.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head, but hopefully it’s helpful. If you have any questions, let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them, and if I think of anything else I’ll be sure to let you know. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Karla Van Der Berg
      @blueberry

@r-m-archer

Yeah, if there is one hard lesson I learned via paid ads it’s that money cannot buy everything. I have been drawing artwork of my characters and commissioned some artists, but so far that’s had the same effect as any of my ad campaigns. I think the niche might be holding it back a bit, especially since the book discription is meant to be misleading and look like a regular YA release. *Shrug*.

I think if I just got people to find out the wackyness of the story and how meta it really is, there would be more interest but I also don’t want to get rid of the whole gimmick of its twists. ^_^’ Its a lose/lose either way I guess. XD

I, David
        @i-david

@blueberry Hello again!

To echo @r-m-archer, one of the things I’ve heard is ‘personal promotion’. Let people not only know about the book, but know about you as well! Social media platforms are a great way of doing this, as are blogs.

But more than that, keep working hard, and always remember that it takes time. It will forever take time. Which means writers just need a lot of patience, even if it isn’t one of our strong suits. X)

Four
        INFP
        songwriter

Karla Van Der Berg
        @blueberry

@i-david ironically I burnt my mouth on a cup of tea, which I JUST made FYI, becuase I was impatient to let it cool. I guess that action speaks for itself doesn’t it? And you do have a point, I advertise my novel waaay more than I do myself. Hmm…

Daeus Lamb
          @daeus-lamb

@blueberry Here’s the number one thing you need to know. Every single tactic will fail you until you develop a sense of what marketing is, what’s important and what’s not, and view marketing in a holistic light. This takes time, patience, and good teachers.

Eventually, I think paid ads could work for you, but it will take a lot of growth before you reach that stage.

To start with, here are a few core principles I’ve learned in my (still rudimentary) journey.

I’d also highly recommend you read The Book Launch Blueprint by Tim Grahl. He does a good job at explaining the fundamental principles of things, not just tactics. Once you’ve digested his stuff, move on and study marketing as much as you can.

😀
          👕👍
          👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest