fb

Greetings from across the ocean!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Greetings from across the ocean!

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@seekjustice

YAY! 🙂

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Ara
    @itisastarrynight

@lin I apologize for the late respond.. this is my 3rd time trying to send a reply, but without further ado:
    Thanks for asking! Actually, I don’t post my art anywhere online regularly at the moment but I can show you some more pictures here on SE. It took awhile for them to load the first time(I’ve got weak wifi) so we’ll see whenever I’m able to post them for you. It may be awhile, but when they do load I was wondering if you could critique my art if you see anything consistently wrong with it?

Sketching with no reference is like hiking without a map!

Lin
    @lin

@itisastarrynight Sure, I’d love to! Take your time (:

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

Ara
    @itisastarrynight

@lin Here we go 🙂

Lin
    @lin

@itisastarrynight I’ve never critiqued anyone’s works so this is quite the honour haha.

First of all I really like your style! The characters are fun to look at, your linework is stunning and I love the way you draw eyes! I also really like the combination of colours of the blue girl holding the bouquet. I think the watercolor portraits without the ink (mainly the blonde elf) could use some more definition as I feel they look as if they’re not entirely finished yet. I think this is because there isn’t enough contrast between the light and the shading. I still struggle with this myself. What I like to do is take a picture with my phone and make it black and white. This way you can see if your painting could use some more contrast.

The character design of the blonde girl with the high boots is super cute! I like her expression and once again the colours! All your colour choices are really good to be honest! The main thing I feel you could improve on is drawing bodies and anatomy, though I think the body of the girl in the red dress and white skirt looks lovely! However, on the blonde girl the arms seem a too long. What I like to do when I feel a character’s body doesn’t look right is hold the drawing in front of a mirror or take a picture on my phone and mirror it. This way you can see little mistakes a lot faster.

Like your quote says ‘Sketching with no reference is like hiking without a map!’ I recommend drawing from reference and just practicing. Your art is very good and I think you’ll only find yourself improving the more you draw! Thank you so much for showing me your art (:

Ara
    @itisastarrynight

@lin I’m surprised this was your first time critiquing, and I think you nailed it. 🙂
    Actually I have been struggling with getting enough contrast in my watercolor pieces. Last month I contemplated if I should think about buying my first tube paints as those are usually much more vibrant and easier to get darker. I did get some gouache recently and I might try mixing that with my watercolors instead (for no other reason than because it’s cheaper!).
    On a side note I should say I didn’t come up with the full design of the blue girl in marker. My brother got a board game with some cool art and there was a picture of this character.  However it was cropped just a little below the shoulders so I made the rest up.
    I’ve been working really hard for awhile on facial anatomy and so I can see how the proportions on everything else could use some work, too. Like my watercolor rendering, this will take some work and intentionality but it is good for me to keep in mind.
    Thanks for your thoughts, I think you’ve given me some good advice!

Lin
    @lin

@itisastarrynight Glad I could help! (:

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest