Greetings! *bows*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Greetings! *bows*

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  April J. Rhys 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

April J. Rhys
    @april-j-rhys

Greetings, ya’ll on Story Embers!

My name is April, and I’m Christianna’s friend @christianna-hellwig! She referred me to you all months ago and it’s taken me nearly half a year to finally get on. But I am very, very glad to be here.

When I was in high school, I took the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum–forum, workshops and all. I’ve been off the OYAN community for awhile just because life got so busy, but I’ve sorely missed the writing community. It was so encouraging to see an active and fruitful community of passionate Christian writers again.

A little bit about myself. For any OYANers who might be here from the “oldies” days, I was Bandrui the Windsage on the forum. I’ve grown up in a Christian home, asked Jesus into my heart as a child, rededicated my life to Christ as a teen, and rediscovered the freedom and love of God as a young adult. I am so far from knowing God intimately, but I’ve stopped striving to do it all on my own, and that’s a start. I’m looking forward to living the rest of whatever adventures lie ahead, and unless God shows otherwise, I’m guessing those adventures will include a lot of writing, a lot of art, and hopefully a lot of worthwhile battles.

I’m a very stereotypical INFP, but who acts more like a J sometimes. My three favorite colors are red, green and blue (red for blood, bravery, honor, freedom and adventure; green for nature and life; blue for loyalty and eternity). I’m a furry, I help my brother run his Christian LARP group, I write Sonic the hedgehog fan fiction/retellings/revampings, I’m kinda a comic and animation nerd, I LOVE all speculative fiction genres, but fantasy is probably my favorite because it has the most trees in it. I really want to live in a tree for at least a whole week of my life someday.

Okay, one more thing, then that’s enough. XD I love critiquing and reading other people’s stories. Honestly, I read way more unpublished stories than published nowadays. I look forward to hopefully reading ya’lls work and hopefully giving some moderately helpful feedback.

Hopefully I’ll get to know most of you just by reading comments and joining a guild. But for now, tell me a bit about yourself. How did you find Story Embers? Why do you love to write? What are you writing right now? What are your favorite colors and why?

~April

~To Infinity and Beyond

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

First up, welcome! @april-j-rhys

Do you have any favourite fantasy authors?? (so much amazing fantasy out there that I have to ask.) Are you a music person?

I’m Jess, and found SE through the old site, Kingdom Pen. And I love to write because I feel God wants to speak through me, hence He’s gifted me with words, and hopefully they will change at least one person. Also, I just adore the feeling of creating worlds and characters and all of that fun stuff. Right now, I’m beginning to write an epic fantasy series called Bloodstone, and am editing another fantasy novel calledΒ Flightless. Both are precious. *hugs them* All time favourite colour is blue. Beautiful, deep blue. I just find it really calming.

I hope you love Story Embers! πŸ˜€ Amazing place with some pretty stellar people.

Writer | Freelance editor
    Inspiration

April J. Rhys
    @april-j-rhys

Hey, Jess! It’s great to meet you! I have heard a lot of great things about Kingdom Pen and always wanted to get more involved. ;-D I would love to hear more about your stories. Do you have them up somewhere online? Also, I know what you mean, blue is so calming. If I had to be stuck with one color for a week, it’d probably be blue or green. X]

As for favorite fantasy authors! I did most of my reading in and before high school. I’m trying to get back into the habit, but it’s harder now schedule-wise. So, I haven’t found many new fantasy authors lately. I would have to say my historical favorites are Lloyd Alexander, C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, and Brian Jacques. What about you? Any you can recommend?

Alas, I would not consider myself a music person in the sense that I love to create music. *sadness* But, I do LOVE music. XD I can play some instruments, but I have not honed those skills. I’m guessing you are a music person? What do you like to play? @j-a-penrose

~To Infinity and Beyond

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

@april-j-rhys

Nooo, I don’t have them up anywhere, unfortunately. D: There are a few snippets on my blog, but not much other than that. Yas. Blue is great.

Tolkien is definitely a favourite over here! I read a lot of Rothfuss and Sanderson, but also some lighter things like Andrew Peterson and Gillian Bronte Adams. (All are recommended with varying degrees of warnings)

Loving music is great! And yes, I am a musician. I mostly play clarinet, and write music, as well as a bit of dabbling with other instruments.

How long have you been writing?

Writer | Freelance editor
    Inspiration

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@april-j-rhys *gasp* Another OYANer! I’m afraid I missed you by a few years on the forum, but we’re fellows anyway! πŸ˜› (What makes a story a story? Why do we look for truth in books?)

Welcome to Story Embers!

I’m an Aussie YA writer of alllll the speculative fiction things. I definitely mostly read fantasy though. (There just seems to be a lot of good quality fantasy books in the world?) I also happen to be Jess’s cousin, by random coincidence.

I love both light teal/turquoise and bright yellow. They’re such happy colours. 😍

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@april-j-rhys

Welcome to SE! Your name is so pretty…I have an aunt named April. πŸ˜€

My sister and I have done part of the Cover Story program, and I thought OYAN would be really cool! Have you ever been to the conference in KS?

If you want another beta project, I would love for you to read the first several chapters of my WIP that I have nearly completed. I have a Google chat group, or you can just email me at needleworksbyselah@gmail.com and I will send it to you when I am ready. It is his-fic…not sure if you like that genre?! XD! Glad you could finally join this group. πŸ™‚

~ 'Every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor.' C.H. Spurgeon ~

April J. Rhys
    @april-j-rhys

@j-a-penrose

Ah, nuts. Well. I’ll just have to work around that. XD If you need any readers, let me know! I’m hoping to join a guild and I do already have a list of other stories I need to read first, but I can add you to the queue. πŸ˜‰ What are your stories about?

Wow, I recognized almost none of those names! I need to get with it! Thanks for the recommendations.

The clarinet is a /gorgeous/ instrument. Very poetic. *thumbs up*

I think I’ve been writing about 13-14 yearsish. I remember deciding to write a story when I was seven and it kind of just kept going from there. XD. Unfortunately, in all that time I have not yet published anything formally. I’m still working on that. What about you?

~To Infinity and Beyond

April J. Rhys
    @april-j-rhys

@jane-maree YAAAY! *hurls confetti* (What if our hunger for story and our quest for meaning are somehow related? ;D) You’re making me miss Mr. S. He’s the best. I heard there were a lot of OYANers on here! It’s a shame I missed you. It’s a shame I stopped being regular on OYAN at all. ;-P It sounds like it’s still a good place. I heard debates have been banned. XD Probably…a good idea. What’s your forum name, if you don’t mind?

Awesome! Teal and yellow go really well together. Reminds me of the ocean. πŸ˜‰ XD I know what you mean with speculative fiction! Sometimes names like the words “sci fi” and “fantasy” don’t really cut it. What are you currently working on?

~To Infinity and Beyond

April J. Rhys
    @april-j-rhys

@selah-chelyah

Thank you very much! I really like your username. My pastor would often use the phrase “selah” in his sermons. πŸ™‚

I have not done Cover Story, but it sounds really good. (But then again, everything Mr. S makes is good.) YES. If you like Cover Story, do OYAN. I would recommend OYAN to anyone who is serious about being a writer/filmmaker/storyteller no matter what age. And yes! I went to one summer workshop and two winter workshops. Some of the best weeks of my life. πŸ™‚ When I have my own money, I want to go back again. Have you been?

I will be glad to look at your novel! I still really enjoy a good historical fiction even though I write fantasy. History inspires me so much. I hope to write one his fic before I die. XD Like I mentioned to J.A. Penrose, I have a queue of stories waiting to be read, so I am /not/ a fast reader, unfortunately. But I can add you. πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the invite! If you aren’t too busy, would you be interested in swapping? If not, that’s a-okay.

~To Infinity and Beyond

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@april-j-rhys

Thx! It is unusual for someone to know what it means, lol! It is my real name, though Chelyah is not. πŸ˜€

Yeah, it is good! That is so awesome…I saw videos from the workshops, but I have not done OYAN and have never been. I’d like to, though.

OK. If you want to email me, you can do that with the email I gave above, and I will send it to you when it is ready. I have written just the first five chapters on Google Docs thus far, and it will be a few months before I can pick it up again as I am pausing all writing to finish school. Then I can write with redoubled ability, and I am looking forward to that day!

I have a lot of beta projects right now so I shouldn’t add to my list, but if I get them caught up on I would love to! That is a sure failing of mine, getting too many projects going that I can’t keep up with. πŸ˜› Thx for asking!

~ 'Every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor.' C.H. Spurgeon ~

April J. Rhys
    @april-j-rhys

@selah-chelyah

Cool! I’ve never met someone with Selah as their first name…I rather like that. *characterinspirationmaybe*

I hope you can do it someday, then! πŸ˜‰ Sure, I’ll email you! Sounds like a plan. Hopefully I’ll be caught up by the time you’re ready. And that is a-okay, I totally understand the over-committing thing. Plus, I’d want to make sure you’d be comfortable with and enjoy reading my story from a genre/topic standpoint. πŸ˜‰ I’ll try to be in touch.

~To Infinity and Beyond

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@april-j-rhys YES! I’m Pizza Ninja on there — though not as active as I would like to be, because tiiime. xD It’s great though.

I’m currently working on fifth-draft edits for a sci fi -ish novel! It’s a vague retelling of the holocaust, where being physically different (disabled or deformed or even just slightly different like one eye a different colour than the other) means you’re taken and either used as forced labour or gassed.

April J. Rhys
    @april-j-rhys

@jane-maree Hey! XD Wow, this is three weeks late. I’m afraid this happens sometimes. I get on a spree and I can reply fairly consistently and then something broadsides me and I’m gone for days. <:-P But even with all that, I never forget to come back eventually. Mostly. Like 95% of the time. XD

Just wanted to say that I really like the sound of your novel. O-O I kinda have a thing for dystopia…is it posted anywhere? Who are your characters?

~To Infinity and Beyond

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@april-j-rhys Haha, that’s okay. I do that too. πŸ˜›

Aw, thank you so much! It isn’t posted anywhere, but I’m currently looking at querying agents so Lord willing it will be in bookstores one day! 😱 The two POV narrators are Michayla Glyn and Braden Argo.

Michayla is a 12 year old girl who’s been hidden her entire life, because she was born with a twisted/deformed knee.

Braden was adopted by a government officer when he was about 7, and has been raised helping to get rid of all the Uniques (imperfect people). But he too has a dark secret…

April J. Rhys
    @april-j-rhys

Seriously? πŸ˜€ That is SO COOL! Will you announce it somewhere when it is posted?

Ooo. You just had to mention he had a secret. XP I already have some guesses, but I should probably keep them to myself for now…looking forward to hopefully reading it someday! πŸ˜‰

@jane-maree

~To Infinity and Beyond

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+Β readersΒ answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest