fb

Greetings!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tal
    @tal

Hey everyone! I’ve been stalking these forums for a week, but as the result of some site issues I haven’t been able to join. Fortunately, it’s all sorted out (quite obviously). I like to write (and read) fantasy books, and I’m in the process of writing a fantasy allegory with my cousin. Some of my favorite book series are The Door Within, The Terrestria Chronicles, and The Green Ember.

"My sword you shall have, but never in surrender!"
    Profile art by DeepRun

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@tal

Hello! My name is Chelsea (aka SeekJustice).

I love fantasy too! It’s what I primarily read and write, though I’ve never read any of your favourites except for The Door Within though.

Do you have a current work in progress?

Also, what are some of your hobbies other than reading and writing?

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Tal
    @tal

@seekjustice

Hi! As I mentioned, my current work in progress is called The Dawning Age, and it’s a fantasy allegory. I’m expecting it will be done before the end of summer.

I occasionally dabble with Lego, though not in a while. I also enjoy making fantasy maps.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Tal.

Profile art by DeepRun

Tal
    @tal

Oh yeah, I also play the piano. Not sure how I forgot about that… 🤦‍♂️

Profile art by DeepRun

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Oh man. Door Within. Excellent excellent choice.

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Eitan
    @eitan

Hello @tal ! It’s an amazing place to grow as a Christian and as a writer!

From where are you? And tell us something interesting about the place! 🙂

my current work in progress is called The Dawning Age, and it’s a fantasy allegory

About what is the allegory? What is the novel’s premise?

What is your…

• current Bible study?
    • favorite book in the Bible (yeah, it’s hard to pick just one 😀 )?
    • favorite Bible hero (besides Jesus 😉 )?
    • favorite verse?

What do you like to do besides writing, reading and playing piano?

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

Tal
    @tal

@eitan

I’m from a small town on the West Coast of America (I’d rather not give more detail than that 😀). I’m able to get around town, especially to the library, on my bike, since everything is so close together.

The novel is about two orphaned (wow, what a surprise, I know) brothers who live in a large city. They are called by the King (God) to go on a quest across the world and end Argadom’s (Satan’s) reign. The allegory is about the Christian life, and how God takes care of His followers as they follow His will. Here’s the blurb:

The Dawning Age is coming; a new light is rising.

Josiah and Luke are orphans. Their father was killed four years ago, and their mother vanished.

When a mysterious messenger appears in a prosperous city in Urkin, two brothers are trusted with a perilous mission: retake Gorkala for the King.

Quickly, Josiah and Luke discover they cannot do it alone. How can they accomplish such a daring quest?

If they fail, Jolara will be plunged into eternal darkness, and The Dawning Age will come to a premature end.

The Dawning Age is a medieval/fantasy allegory.

If you like Christian principles weaved into a thrilling adventure, then you will love The Dawning Age.

Experience this challenging story today.

I don’t know if this counts as a Bible study, but I’ve been reading through the Bible with the plan of reading the whole book this year. I’m also wanting to do a study on the fear of the Lord.

My favorite book is likely Psalms. It has so much encouragement for all times of life.

I think David would take that spot, partially to do with a book I read some years ago, Fugitive King. His early life, running from Saul, is definitely action movie worthy. I really admire his humble beginning, and how he always returned to God after some very disastrous sins.

I don’t necessarily have a life verse at this time, though this would be the closest to one I can think of.

“Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,” -Hebrews 12:1

I like to play with my younger siblings often, but other than that, not much. I’ve been sprinting this last stretch of my novel, really pushing to finish it.

Profile art by DeepRun

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@tal

Hi, and welcome.

I’ve read the Door Within Trilogy, and The Green Ember, and loved both. I haven’t got my hands on Ember’s End yet…but I can hardly wait.😄 Have you read it?

Besides writing, what other hobbies and such do you do? I like drawing, playing with my animals (cats, dog, pigs, cows, etc.), and photography.

Your story sounds really cool! You said it might be done by the end of the summer…I wish I was that close to finishing my book.😉 Just curious, but how do you work out the writing process with your cousin? I always found if difficult to write along with someone else, unless one person wrote, and the other only gave ideas.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Tal
    @tal

@arindown

No, I just finished Ember Rising. I’m absolutely loving the series.

I’m terrible at art, other than cartography, which I’m decent at. I somewhat enjoy photography, though I don’t do it much. I’ve also done some poetry. I might share some of that at some point.

Ah, this is one interesting question. We’re across the world from each other, so the main time we write is when our time zones match up. In that case, we’ll each decide where we want to write for that time, and then start writing. We write on Google Docs, so we can see each other typing in real time. We’ll critique each other along the way. One of us will go back and change what the other person has written sometimes. I think it could only work with someone you’re very close with, and we’ve gotten in some very heated arguments over the months. 😁 Though, more recently, we’ve been able to resolve things more peaceably.

Profile art by DeepRun

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@tal

Well, that’s okay that you haven’t read Embers End yet…we can be in suspense together.😄 My sister ordered it (I believe), but that was before Covid19.

Please share some of your poetry! I dabble in poetry, but I’ve never done anything worth mentioning.

Cousins are the best.😊 Writing a story that way sounds really fun, but also an extra challenge. I tried collaborating with my sister one time, but we had arguments because of different writing styles. How did you deal with that problem? Having another person is also nice because it keeps you accountable. How long do you plan for your story to be?

Not all those who wander are lost.

Tal
    @tal

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@arindown

And in suspense I am. 😄

Okay, well, here goes. I wrote this maybe…a year ago. It’s based off the verse in II Corinthians 24-27. I also wrote a melody for it, though I’m not really sure how I can communicate that on here…

Verse 1
    In per’ls of sea,</p>
    In per’ls of theives,

In weariness,

Through much stress,

In death or life,

In ease or strife,

In grief and pain,

Our God reigns.

Verse 2

In peace or fear,

In perils near,

In countries far,

Where’er they are,

In martyrdom

In per’ls darksome

In sun or rain,

Our God reigns.

Chorus

Our God still reigns,

Through all out pains,

He’s in control

Of our souls.

He loves his seed,

And will ne’r see

The day when they

Have no way.

Aaand, that’s it. I’ve also written new words to the old hymn O Worship the King for my book, along with another one that isn’t done yet, also for my book.

I think our writing styles are very similar. We read a lot of the same books. Currently, the book is 140 pages and 55661 words long. I’m hoping to get to 150-170 before the end. There’s not really a lot of writing that needs to be done,just fixing inconsistencies and improving the quality. Though, there is a good amount of things that need to be added in.

Profile art by DeepRun

Eitan
    @eitan

@tal

Really cool novel!

Where does your name come from? It’s common in Israel…

I’m also wanting to do a study on the fear of the Lord.

Hmm,  a little tip from a Hebrew speaker – ”fear” isn’t the best translation. The Hebrew word yir’ah means ”respect”. For example, we are commanded to yir’ah  our parents. I hope this will help you 🙂

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

Tal
    @tal

@eitan

Thanks!

It is? Hey, that’s pretty cool. Its full origin is a looong story, but here’s the short version. It came from the name Talupus, which is a combination of the prefix ta- (meaning fire in Matoran, which is from a Lego theme called Bionicle) and lupus, Latin for wolf (again, long story why I chose that). I shortened it to Tal at one point, and it became my online name.

Thanks, though I’m aware of what it means. I was using the Biblical phrase.

Profile art by DeepRun

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@tal

Hey! Glad the forum submission is back up! I have some friends who want to join!

I have read The Green Ember but not any of the others yet lol!

Have you ever read Mistmantle? It’s similar to The Green Ember.

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Tal
    @tal

@beth20

Actually, it’s still broken. I had to contact the site and register by email.

No, never heard of it. I’ll check it out.

Profile art by DeepRun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest